[act-ma] Oct 25 - Oct 27: Bootcamp, Video & Media Activism

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Mon Oct 7 18:07:15 PDT 2013

    Video & Media Activism Bootcamp
    <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/43>

DMC III: Friday afternoon, October 25 - Sunday, October 27, 2013 @
Lesley University <http://digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/12>. It
brings together grassroots activists, trade unionists, techies,
academics and thinkers for a weekend on hands-on, practical workshops
and big-picture thinking. Listen to the 5-minute backgrounder/slideshow
here <http://digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/18>.

Standard registration is $35; $10 for students and low income

New York-based artist and filmmaker, *Chloe Smolarski
<http://chloesmolarski.com/>* plans to open the Digital Media Conference
with a special workshop on how grassroots movements can use images to
tell their stories. She'll have you working with readily available tools
in this workshop. Chloe welcomes participation by beginners; she notes
that "/no/ technical knowledge" is needed. Just bring your smartphone!
[At link above] check out her trailer to the video, /Admissions/, which
builds on the stories of undocumented students claiming their voice and
their rights.

    Opening Plenary to Detail "Unfreedom"
    <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/42>

      Speakers Connect NSA, Repression, Deportations, Surveillance, Mass
      Incarceration & Over-Zealous Prosecutions

Among the conference's opening speakers are three seasoned activists:
Gregg Housh, Kade Crockford and Alfredo Lopez. In their turn, each has
had to confront the global surveillance and "national security" state.
*Gregg Housh
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/occupy-wall-street-anonymous-connection_n_1021665.html>
*is popularly known as a public face of the Anonymous movement; *Kade
Crockford
<http://conference.freepress.net/presenter/102150/kade-crockford>
*challenges the growing surveillance state and defends core First and
Fourth Amendment and due process rights in her work at the Massachusetts
ACLU; *Alfredo Lopez <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Lopez>*'s
May First/People Link powered tech systems for the #Occupy movement and
today resolutely defends the tech infrastructure of hundreds of
organizations against incursions.

    Lightning Talk on the DMC
    <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/18>

The conference's full story in 5 minutes!  Check out Digital Media
Conference organizer Jason Pramas
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Pramas>' presentation at Software
Freedom Day <http://softwarefreedomday.org/>!

Read moreabout Lightning Talk on the DMC
<http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/18> | Comments
<http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/18#disqus_thread>

    Alfredo Lopez on the NSA: "They rip the locked doors off all
    internet privacy..."
    <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/17>

Writing in Counterpunch
<http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/09/09/the-nsa-has-effectively-destroyed-internet-privacy/>,
May First/People Link <http://www.mayfirst.org> director and confirmed
Digital Media Conference plenary speaker Alfredo Lopez
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Lopez> surveys the most recent
revelations about the National Security Agency (NSA) and comes to the
sad but uncontestable conclusion that, "[NSA's programs] rip the locked
doors off all Internet privacy and make the application of
Constitutional rights impossible." Alfredo who will be a plenary speaker
at our conference, illustrates this by looking at how the NSA has
undermined the (no-longer-so) Secure Sockets Layer
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer> (or SSL) protocol.
It is something that we all depend on when we log into our Gmail or
Outlook.com email services, or when we connect to our banks, or buy
tickets online [notice how the "http" in our browsers' address
bars switch to "https" when we have a "secure" connection].  By building
"backdoors" into encryption protocols, the NSA not only lets itself in
and allows its various sub-contractors and their temp employees in, but
also leaves the door open for other big entities with sufficient
resources, governments, big corporations, and organized crime. We look
forward to exploring this further at the conference with Alfredo.

Read moreabout Alfredo Lopez on the NSA: "They rip the locked doors off
all internet privacy..."
<http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/17> | Comments
<http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/17#disqus_thread>

    Michelle Alexander Connects the Dots!
    <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/2013/node/13>

Wed, 08/28/2013 - 20:00

      Reminds Us that Mass Incarceration, the Surveillance State, &
      Militarism are Part of the Same Story

A recent FB post by renowned activist-writer-lawyer, Michelle Alexander
(The New Jim Crow <http://newjimcrow.com/>), aligns completely with our
conference's objectives. She reminds us that it is no longer possible to
adopt the "staying in my lane" mentality.

Full details, registration at