[act-ma] Thursday 10/17: "The Ghosts of JeJu" - Free UPandOUT film screening

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Oct 16 11:16:00 PDT 2013

  *Special for OCT: we are honored to have film director **_Regis
  Tremblay_* on hand for Q&A!!

*
*

*<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-131017-Ghosts%20of%20Jeju.pdf>The
Ghosts of JeJu**
*

Showing Thursday, October 17, in Cambridge
[please download & distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-131017-Ghosts%20of%20Jeju.pdf>]

Set in the context of the American presence in Korea since 1945, the
film reveals unimaginable atrocities committed at the hands of the U.S.
Military Government in Korea immediately after WWII. It is not a history
of '/the Forgotten War/,' but for the first time reveals the struggle of
the people of Jeju Island, S. Korea to resist US occupation.

The film places the modern-day protest by the peaceful people of Jeju
Island, S. Korea against the construction of a massive US naval base in
the tiny village of Gangjeong in the context of the massacre of as many
as 80,000 of their fellow citizens only 60 years ago.

Using previously secret and classified photos, film and documents, this
is the first English-language documentary about the struggle of the
brave people of Gangjeong Village who are opposing the military advance
of the United States, just as their parents and relatives did in 1947.
As then, they are being arrested, jailed, fined, and hospitalized for
resisting the construction of a massive naval base that will accommodate
America's 'pivot to Asia,'? and will destroy their 400 year old village
and their UNESCO protected environment.

And yet, the indomitable spirit of the villagers and their supporters,
who have not lost hope in spite of overwhelming odds, will inspire and
motivate everyone who believes there is a better way to live together on
this planet.

"/the least we can do is to amplify their voices, for with citizenship
in America and the world, comes responsibility./" ~Regis Tremblay, director

The people of Gangjeong are not alone in this struggle opposing the U.S.
military expansion. All of the islands of the Pacific from Hawaii to
Okinawa, to Guam, The Philippines and all the way down to Australia are
rising up against American imperialism as the U.S. uses fear and power
to coerce their leaders to either build or open up their ports and bases
to the American military.

"/We don't want a war base on the Island of Peace/."
~ savejejunow.org

"/It's not easy being a flag-waving American nationalist. In addition to
having to deal with the usual disillusion, anger, and scorn from around
the world incited by Washington's endless bombings and endless wars, the
nationalist is assaulted by whistle blowers like Bradley Manning and
Edward Snowden, who have disclosed a steady stream of human-rights and
civil-liberties scandals, atrocities, embarrassing lies, and
embarrassing truths./"
~ William Blum

"/The double standards imposed on North Korea remain ever apparent, as
the international community remains silent as [US backed] South Korea
expands its arsenal of advanced military technology in an effort to
become the world's seventh largest arms exporter/"
~ Nile Bowie

*When/where*
doors open 6:40; film starts promptly 7pm
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
free film & free door prizes
[donations are encouraged]
feel free to bring your own snacks and soft drinks - no alcohol allowed

"You can't legislate good will - that comes through education." ~ Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights..

  Testimonial

"/It was a smashing hit....people were crying and they were clapping at
the end.....I handed out the DVD's strategically to key leaders in
various Swedish cities, and from Finland, Norway, Denmark, Germany,
Japan and Mexico.....people passed the hat to send money to the village
but I insisted they keep the money towards sending a representative from
Sweden to the village ASAP......they loved the music, the story, and the
resistance.....many people sent congrats to you....it's was a European
opening night showing......5 stars. Add Russia to list of places I sent
DVD home with....a man who works directly for Putin/."

/*- Bruce Gagnon, */**coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons/*

*/

    About Regis <http://www.theghostsofjeju.net/about/>

[at TheGhostsofJeju.net]

http://www.penbaypilot.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery_popup/public/Regis_Tremblay.jpgI
am a filmmaker living in Woolwich, Maine. In September 2012, I spent a
month in Korea and three weeks in tiny Gangjeong Village. Little did I
realize what I stumbled into. Against the will of the residents of
Gangjeong (pop. 1800) who are mostly fishermen and farmers, the Korean
government and Navy began building a massive naval base to accommodate
America's military pivot to Asia.

The villagers and their peace worker supporters have been protesting the
construction of the base 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for five years.
Not only are they fighting to save their village, but the entire
ecosystem of the area which has been declared a positively no
construction zone and a UNESCO Biosphere preserve. Also threatened are
the Idio-Korean bottle nose dolphins, rare and endangered crabs and
frogs, and the fresh-water shrimp that exist only in this village.

Compared to the relatively short-lived Occupy demonstrations in the
States, I wondered what had sustained these brave, peaceful people for
five years when they have been subjected to the brutal repression of
hundreds of police and security guards. What I didn't learn in my
history classes was the role the U.S. Army played in the massacre of as
many as 60,000 peasants on Jeju from 1948-1951. Because these fiercely
independent people rebelled against the American occupation and the
imposition of Sigman Rhee, a brutal dictator, they were labeled Communists.

Recently revealed secret and classified documents, film and photos prove
that the Americans equippped the Korean army and police, trained them,
provided intelligence, and planned and directed the Scorched Earth
assault on these innocent men, women and children.

Only after visiting the Peace Museum on Jeju commemorating the massacre
which began on April 3, 1948, did I understand the meaning of the
protest and the perseverance and resolve of the people of Gangjeong and
their supporters, many of whom survived the massacre and the others are
immediate descendants of that horrific period.

Then, as now, the people of Jeju are fighting for self-determination,
basic human rights, an open and transparent democratic process, and the
protection of this rare and beautiful environment.

My film places the 5-year old struggle in the context of America's
global military imperial domination of the planet through unrestrained
and overwhelming force. Once again, the people of Jeju find themselves
in the cross hairs of war between more powerful empires. And yet, the
indomitable spirit of the Villagers and their supporters, who have not
lost hope in spite of overwhelming odds, will inspire and motivate
everyone who believes there is a better way to live together on this planet.

//While the mainstream industry has ignored the film, activists around
the world and across the country have acclaimed it as an important
contribution to the peace movement. To date, it has been screened in
more than a dozen countries from Sweden, down through the Pacific to
Australia, including Russia and China.

Next month I will begin screening it on a West Coast tour that will take
me from Berkeley, up to Oregon and Seattle, and then over to
Minneapolis. Following that, I will be presenting it in Washington,
D.C., Charlottesville, VA, Chicago, and Florida./

/
/Regis Tremblay/

//
/I offer copies of the DVD for a donation of $20./

/**/