[act-ma] A Utopia to Our North? A Conversation about Cities that Work For All

Jamaica Plain Forum info at jamaicaplainforum.org
Thu Jan 30 12:12:17 PST 2014

Dear ACT-MA,

Next Wednesday, February 5th, we'll be hosting *Bruce Seifer for a
conversation about urban community economic development*, using his
experience leading the effort in Burlington, VT. I think there will be much
to learn from our neighbors to the North!

I also want to highlight the upcoming *Time Trade Circle Faire** on Sunday,
February 9th*. Come connect with a growing mutual aid and solidarity
network growing right here in JP.

Hope to see you soon!

In Community,
Greg Buckland, JP Forum Coordinator

*A Utopia to our North?: Durable Economies and Cities that Work for All*

*with Bruce Seifer, advisor to fmr. Mayors Bernie Sanders and Peter
Clavelle of Burlington, VT*

*Wednesday, February 5th, 7pm*
*First Church JP, 6 Eliot St
(**map*<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RMTbxt01B6vZlNcdEMmge7laRnaYZB4s>
*)*
*RSVP on Facebook*<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cj%2BefmP%2BxdGII1lBA1PaMblaRnaYZB4s>
* or **by email*<info at jamaicaplainforum.org?subject=RSVP%20for%202%2F5%20Bruce%20Seifer%20forum>

What is a durable economy? How is it created and what does it take to
sustain it over time? Bruce Seifer, author of *Sustainable
Communities: Creating a Durable Local
Economy*<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vnJRlvAMyhdwFG72TF%2B4irlaRnaYZB4s>
will
provide insights and answers to these questions by exploring the components
of sustainable economic development at the city level.

Bruce Seifer is a consultant with extensive experience in economic
development. Under former Mayors Bernie Sanders and Peter Clavelle, he led
Burlington, Vermont's Community and Economic Development efforts for 28
years by developing a nationally recognized model for locally focused and
community oriented urban revitalization.

*Also coming up at the JP Forum...*

Need a ride to the airport? Help with childcare or someone to walk your
dog? All of this and much more is offered through the Time Trade
Circle<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LQ4cH3QWiJNkhrgkAdvAnrlaRnaYZB4s>
!

The Time Trade Circle lets us share our skills and get free help from
others. When you spend an hour helping another Circle member, one hour is
added to your account. You can spend your hours on services from other
members - anything from sewing lessons or house cleaning to language
lessons or babysitting.

*Joining is free and easy - attend the orientation on Feb. 9 to get
started.* Time Trade Circle members will show off their
"offerings"--everything from food, music, and language skills, to green
cleaning and Reiki!

*Time Trade Circle Faire & Orientation*

*Sunday, Feburary 9*
*2pm Faire; 4pm Orientation*
*First Church JP*
*6 Eliot Street, JP*
*RSVP on Facebook*<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vtGKA6KzgVGj85%2BKwInYwrlaRnaYZB4s>

*Free Food * Music * Raffle * Entertainment*

-- If you wish, bring a dish or snack to share at the *potluck*.
-- At 2:30, join us for a special demonstration about how to make your own
safe, toxic-free cleaning products.
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qejc%2Bb8mx2ZL3WNDP%2F8ym5E41lG9eiqO>
--* You are also invited to bring items for the raffle*! Your unneeded item
might be just what someone else is looking for. Examples include
houseplants, gently used books, unneeded gifts, items in good condition you
would give to a friend; handcrafts you've made, baked goods, etc. Get
creative!

If you are a member of the Time Trade Circle and would like to demonstrate
your offerings at the Fair, please contact Dan Bensonoff:
dbensonoff at gmail.com. All demonstrations welcome!

*Jump into Boston's sharing economy, meet neighbors, and have fun. Don't
miss it!*

Read more about the Time Trade Circle at
timetradecircle.org<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=R7q4HSEUeR0NdAhylApArZE41lG9eiqO>.
The
Faire is co-sponsored by JP NET and the JP Forum.

See you there,
Sarah Byrnes & Dan Bensonoff