[act-ma] Anarchist Reading Group- Elisee Reclus

EJ Kobek ejkobek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:38:12 PST 2014

Thursday, March 20, 7PM East Cambridge
call for more info 617-492-2340

We're continuing our series of discussions on "classic" anarchist
thinkers.  This month's it's Elisee Reclus, French geographer, writer, and
anarchist.

According to Kirkpatrick Sale<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkpatrick_Sale>
:

His geographical work, thoroughly researched and unflinchingly scientific,
laid out a picture of human-nature interaction that we today would call
bioregionalism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioregionalism>. It showed,
with more detail than anyone but a dedicated geographer could possibly
absorb, how the ecology of a place determined the kinds of lives and
livelihoods its denizens would have and thus how people could properly live
in self-regarding and self-determined bioregions without the interference
of large and centralized governments that always try to homogenize diverse
geographical areas.

Readings-

Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism, chapter 20 in public
libraries and online at

https://libcom.org/files/Marshall%20-%20Demanding%20the%20Impossible%20-%20A%20History%20of%20Anarchism.pdf

Anarchism: A Documentary History of Libertarian Ideas, volume one, excerpts
38, 74, 77 in public libraries and online at

https://libcom.org/library/anarchism-documentary-history-libertarian-ideas-volume-1-2

>From the Anarchist Library:
http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/elisee-reclus-an-anarchist-on-anarchy

See also wikipedia