[act-ma] Peoples Cafe April 19 for EPOCA, featuring Ari and Mia Friedman

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Thu Apr 10 01:26:36 PDT 2014

From: David Klafter [mailto:dbklafter at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:24 PM
To: David Klafter
Subject: Peoples Cafe April 19 for EPOCA, featuring Ari and Mia Friedman

Hi All,

People's Cafe is excited to present the next in our series - a benefit for
EPOCA, featuring local musicians Ari and Mia Friedman, on April 19 at 1st
Parish Unitarian Church, 382 Walnut Street in Brookline

EPOCA (Ex-prisoners and Prisoners Organizing for Community Advancement) is a
Worcester-based organization that has been working at the grassroots level
to help released prisoners rebuild their lives while also working for prison
reform and to create alternatives to prison. Along with UU Mass Action, they
have played a leading role in the Jobs Not Jails Coalition (see below).

Ari and Mia Friedman are "Boston's Americana Sister Act." Both are New
England Conservatory trained musicians (Ari on cello and Mia on the fiddle)
who play a blend of old time American music from Appalachia to New England,
along with their own compositions in an updated folk style. They have been
much honored as both performers and composers, and have consistently
delighted audiences everywhere they have played.

The Jobs Not Jails Coalition has been an effective voice urging the
legislature to pass real reform. The coalition is working towards a mass
rally on April 26 at 1:00 on the Boston Commons to press their demands for
an end to mass incarceration and to rather fund job creation. If current
policies are not changed, Massachusetts will spend $2 billion on new prison
cells in the next 7 years!

The Cafe will be at 7:00 on April 19

382 Walnut St, Brookline

Admission is free, food and drink provided - but bring your checkbook!

For more information, call me at  <tel:617-835-6703> 617-835-6703

See the attached flyer for more information, and please circulate widely!

We hope to see you a week from Saturday.

David Klafter

for the People's Cafe, and MassOccupy/Brookline

Please Note: The Church will also be hosting a showing of the powerful film
about the failed war on drugs and the urgent need for prison reform The
House I Live In this Friday, April 11 at 7:00PM