[act-ma] 8/2 Disability Rights in the Age of Austerity

iacboston at iacboston.org iacboston at iacboston.org
Thu Jul 31 12:29:53 PDT 2014

Click HERE < http://iacboston.org/diabilitiesrightsforum2014.html >
 to view in your browser

PLEASE POST WIDELY

 **DISABILITY RIGHTS IN THE AGE OF AUSTERITY**

 "From each according to their abilities, to each according to their needs"

 ** Sat. Aug. 2 2 pm **

 1199 SEIU United Healthcare

 150 Mt. Vernon St. #300, 2nd floor

 Dorchester, MA (fully accessible)

 Accessible by Ⓣ; Driving instructions @Mapquest

 We will gather to commemorate people with disabilities, whose
collective struggle on July 26, 1990 won the ADA (Americans with
Disabilities Act).

 H E A R:

 * Myia X - Women's Fightback Network (WFN), Boston

 * Brian Shea - a courageous leader of the U.S. civil rights movement
for people with disabilities, WWP Disabilities Caucus

 * Rene Imperato - Vietnam veteran, leader of the movement for
justice for veterans with disabilities

 * Andre Francois, Recording Secretary & Charlestown Chief Steward,
Local 8751,United Steelworkers(Boston schoolbus drivers)

 * Milagros Cancel - COMITE TIMON DE MADRES DE EDUCACION ESPECIAL, on
the closing of 80 schools in Puerto Rico in violation of the rights of
children with disabilities

 * Joyce Chediac- editor and contributing writer, Gaza: Symbol of
Resistance

 * Bill Bateman - coordinator, Rhode Island Peoples Assembly, on how
to build a united movement of The Disabled, The Elderly, The Sick, The
Children, and The Unemployed

 * Becka Gutman - SEIU 1199 Organizing Director for PCAs

 * John Kelly - Second Thoughts Massachusetts and Not Dead Yet

 * Nan Genger - (artwork display) artist, Workers World Party(WWP)
People with Disabilities Caucus

 We choose this year to hold our forum in the great city of Boston to
mark the 40th anniversary of the largest civil rights demonstration to
take place after the 1963 March on Washington, where Dr. Martin Luther
King Jr. made his famous “I Have a Dream” speech. In 1974 buses
carrying African-American children to schools in South Boston and
other white neighborhoods were stoned. A picture was flashed around
the world of a Haitian man being dragged off a porch in South Boston
by a racist mob. On December 14, 1974, 20,000 people marched and said
no to racism and segregation in Boston.

 The disability liberation movement was also inspired by the civil
rights and liberation movements of people of color, women, and LGBTQ
people. Fighting for access to public accommodations, opposing
sweatshop sheltered workshops, demanding at least a $15 an hour
minimum wage for everyone including people with disabilities, and
taking on struggle after individual struggle have won some victories.
Today, big banks, Homeland Security, and the Pentagon get billions,
yet working and poor people are challenged by unemployment and budget
cuts for basic human needs. How can we broaden our movement? How
should we best fight to break down the technological and social
barriers to full participation? Join us at our first Boston Peoples
Power Assembly where people with and without disabilities can share
thoughts, celebrate victories, and lay down plans to build a world and
a society without any barriers.

 Sponsors: Peoples Power Assembly; International Action Center

 Endorsers: Parents to Improve School Transportation (PIST);
Community Labor United for Postal Jobs & Services(CLUPJS); New Yorkers
in Solidarity with Survivors in East Harlem/El Barrio; R.I. Unemployed
Council; R.I. Rosa Parks Human Rights Committee, Women’s Fightback
Network, Boston

 CONTACT US AT:  zackysdad at comscast.net <mailto:zackysdad at comscast.net>
  617-276-2365 <tel:617-276-2365>  (Labor Donated)