[act-ma] 8/09 Open House and Pena Latinoamericana - Sat

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Aug 2 08:04:14 PDT 2014

*Join **Encuentro 5 & Mesa sin Fronteras**in our new larger location,
right next door on Hamilton Place

Open house from 4 to 7 PM and then
*
*
*

  *
  *

*p r e s e n t*

Peña
Latinoamericana

*Sat. Aug. 9th
9A Hamilton Place
*

    * 7 **pm - on
    *

    *Join us for a night of folklore, storytelling, art y amor, the
    poetry of struggle bringing histories to life, **and life to our
    circles of song. *

    A Peña is a gathering of musicians, artists, and friends who come to
    share their work and to play together. Peñas take historical root
    from Chilean social gatherings during the 60s and early 70s that
    expressed the spirit of creativity and resistance in melody, poems,
    and artwork under a brutally repressive regime. Though they exist
    throughout the Spanish-speaking world, they came into fashion in
    Latin America with the Nueva Trova musical movement that ran in
    tandem with the revolutions of the day. In some places the term
    'tertulia' is used, where in English we don't have an equivalent
    word. (Open Mic implies a certain formality and performance that
    doesn't quite fit this atmosphere.)

      Each peña hosted by e5 will be dedicated to the great tradition of
    someone who fought with the instrument of song and the spirit that
    defied borders. Please accompany us at our events with live music
    and ample nylon-string guitars. RSVP for the event on Facebook and
    invite your friends!

*Snacks  beverages provided
*

    $5 suggested donation. No one turned away.

    www.encuentro5.org  <http://www.encuentro5.org/>

http://www.encuentro5.org/home/directions