[act-ma] 8/5 Linux Class @ SETC

Steve Revilak steve at srevilak.net
Sun Aug 3 07:26:15 PDT 2014

Have you heard about Linux?  Linux is a computer operating system
that's developed by hundreds of groups from all around the world, and
it's a very viable alternative to corporate-controlled systems like
Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.

Linux is "free software".  That's "free as in freedom"; you can
install free software on as many computers as you want, use it for any
purpose you want, and give copies away to your friends.  Free software
is as much a social movement as it is a technology movement.

Our next class is Tuesday August 5th, 6:30 - 8pm.  We plan to talk
about free software in general, and Libre Office[1] in particular.
Libre Office is free software for writing documents, creating
spreadsheets, and putting together presentations (similar to Microsoft
Office).  Libre Office is cross-platform; it runs on Mac and Windows,
as well as Linux.

Classes are held at the South End Technology Center, 359 Columbus Ave,
Boston, MA, about a block away from the Back Bay T station.  Hope to
see you there.

Steve

[1] http://www.libreoffice.org/