[act-ma] 9/4 SoJust ProfDev: Art of the Schmooze (for extroverts AND introverts)

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:08:30 PDT 2014

Do you often get stuck in conversations? Not know how to approach people at
networking events?
*You'll want to brush up on your skills before SoJust's 8th birthday party,
Connecting for Justice, on Thursday, September 11
<http://www.meetup.com/sojust-tm/events/194745412/>. *

*Join Socializing for Justice for a  fast-paced, fun & interactive ProfDev
(professional development training) on the Art of the Schmooze on Thursday,
September 4, 6:00 - 8:30 PM.
<http://www.meetup.com/sojust-tm/events/194746202/>*

*Fee: $10 advance/$20 door is split with the trainer.*
*Limited space - register ahead of time: www.sojust.org
<http://www.sojust.org>*
Credit cards accepted online. Cash only at the door (if space available).
*Newcomers always welcomed!*

*SoJust's Co-Founder, Robbie Samuels, who is well known for his schmoozing
skills, is this month's trainer.*

*Art of the Schmooze*
Forming and cultivating relationships is at the heart of any successful
fundraising campaign, volunteer drive, committee effort or community
building activity. This training will give you the confidence to pursue
your *personal and professional* goals - from the importance of shaking
hands and making eye contact, to tips on the best opening line and how to
exit a conversation gracefully. An amazing side benefit is that you'll
learn how to create a welcoming community space by keeping an eye out for
outliers, considering yourself a host instead of a guest and knowing how to
compliment someone without "othering" them.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER
*Robbie Samuels* has extensive community organizing, events logistics and
fundraising experience. In 2006 he co-founded Socializing for Justice to
build a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive community, network and
movement in Boston based on the philosophy of abundance. He is the Senior
Manager of Events and Donor Engagement at Gay & Lesbian Advocates &
Defenders (GLAD). On the side he offers trainings and consultation to
non-profit boards, venture capitalists and grassroots organizers. In 2011,
Boston City Council named his birthday, September 16, "Robbie Samuels Day".
Learn more about his  most requested trainings: "Art of the Schmooze" and
"Fundraising: Getting Past the Fear of Asking" at www.robbiesamuels.com.
<http://www.robbiesamuels.com/>

*Check out his testimonials
<http://www.robbiesamuels.com/p/testimonials.html> - including this
one: "*Robbie's
Art of the Schmooze training totally blew me away. First of all, it must be
said-- Robbie is VERY FUNNY. In fact, the workshop felt almost more like a
comedy show than a skill-building workshop. It was awesome. Apart from
being highly engaging, Robbie was also insightful, informative and
wonderfully practical. As someone who often has trouble getting out of dead
conversations, I felt like I came out of the workshop with concrete
strategies for how to wrap up and end a conversation BEFORE it dies. On the
flip side, Robbie also has a number of great stock comments/questions to
help keep conversations from prematurely dying. Now, I consider myself an
extrovert but it is still extremely helpful to get such a clear explanation
of what kinds of questions help deepen connections, and which kinds of
questions one should avoid. From handshakes, to body stances, to where to
keep your business cards, Robbie knows the ins and outs of how to make
connections and keep them. I got so much out of this workshop. I only wish
I could sit through it again (and again and again...)." ~Beck Epstein

 SCHEDULE
6:00-6:30 Socializing -
*bring your own dinner * 6:30-8:30 Training and Q&A

**  DIRECTIONS
<http://www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/site/c.ddKGIQNuEmG/b.1363373/k.5381/About_Us__Directions.htm>
- The NonProfit Center* is located one block from South Station at 89 South
Street. The Center is physically accessible through the main lobby.

*Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org <http://www.sojust.org>*
Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this
"Movement Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and
build new visions for our movement(s).

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We host monthly socials that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a monthly ProfDev
Series, hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which provides access to
affordable professional development to increase our individual capacity for
movement building.

With 2500 members and 8 years of creating a diverse cross-issue community
in Boston (185 events!), Socializing for Justice is the best place to find
the great people, organizations and community you're looking for while
putting the SOCIAL back in social justice.

*YES, WE MEAN YOU.* We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our  Frequently Asked Questions
<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>
and  past event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!