[act-ma] Carnage at the Belmont Uplands silver maple forest

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Sat Oct 11 06:19:59 PDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Friends of Alewife Reservation" <info at friendsofalewifereservation.org

Date: Oct 11, 2014 9:06 AM
Subject: Carnage at the Belmont Uplands silver maple forest
To: "Reservation, Friends of Alewife" <info at friendsofalewifereservation.org>

Hello friends of the environment,
and of our rare silver maples and wildlife refuge,

Sediment erosion control means you can "cut trees" in the Construction
process plans for the O'Neill project (just flipped to JP Morgan and
Prudential). The courts have totally failed our preservation efforts after
5 years of heavy fund-raising and court challenges all the way to our
attempted Supreme court effort last year, but we are continuing with them
now despite the disappointment of friends and Belmont neighbors who
contributed greatly.

Towards a larger statement of this undescribable environmental crime about
to be committed with the complicity of official agencies and the state, and
Prudential Insurance, JP Morgan and Rose View Group, and especially O'Neill
Properties who has been offered through certified mail, a large sum for the
property 2 times in 2 consecutive years by the well known national Trust
for Public Land in behalf of we conservation proponents, and we have
received only the 'run-around' and denial of having received the offers.
Councilor Marc McGovern is working to file a Policy Order which will ask
that Cambridge not be used in the project. It is presently using Cambridge
as replication area and  drainage for the 300 unit building.

Now it is time to act and to bring a sign for Tuesday's rally early morning
(from 3am on) to the 7:30 am protest presence with fire. We will surround
the perimeter with your sentiments and concerns on a average sized poster
board  (attached) and bring a critical "mass" (my name too), and stand
powerfully for the trees along Acorn Park Drive and Frontage Road. We will
need at least 100 of you to perform this visible plea for our rare and
diminishing woodlands and floodplains which we need for climate change
conditions which are coming faster than we expected say our international
scientists.We call on our elected officials to join us at this time of
mourning and defiance and legal present efforts in the courts, thanks to
Belmont neighbors and friends.

Attached HONK flyer which you can tweak if sending electronically for your
own purposes which are the same as ours.
HONK is the best time of the year to enjoy a fantastic parade with bands
around the world, and also to stand up for our forest. Please join us in
marching at 11:30 wearing black in staging area with your hand made sign.
Also and just as important at HONK festival: ALERT/EVENT flyer distributors
are greatly needed for a very small stipend to hand out 100 flyers each.
Pick up at Somerville HONK staging area: 11:30. Call: 617 415-1884 if
interested.

THERE IS NO TIME WHATSOEVER TO DELAY IN RESPONDING TO THIS CALL FOR
ASSISTANCE AND ACTION.  ONCE THE TREES ARE CUT THE ENTIRE COOLING AND
FLOODPLAIN AREA WILL CHANGE DRAMATICALLY.  LITTLE POND NEIGHBORS KNOW THIS
IN BELMONT.  (An injunction has been filed by colleagues).

THE CLEAR CUT  OF 7 TO 8 ACRES OF WOODLANDS WILL SEVERELY IMPACT THE ENTIRE
WILDLIFE REFUGE OF THE ALEWIFE RESERVATION AND THE MYSTIC RIVER WATERSHED.
AS WE SPEAK, DEER ARE RUNNING AROUND FRANTICALLY NEAR THE HIGHWAY, AND
BIRDS ARE IN SEVERE DISTRESS. FLOODING IS EXPECTED AT A 36 PERCENT INCREASE
BASED ON STORM WATER RUN OFF CALCULATIONS PUBLISHED LAST WEEK BY NOTED
HYDROLOGY FIRM HYDRO ANALYSIS OF BROOKLINE.

NO TO JP MORGAN
NO TO PRUDENTIAL
NO TO O'NEILL PROPERTIES (Venture capitalist)
NO TO ROSE VIEW GROUP (Project Manager)

Individual acts of conscience are called on to participate in these events:

1) Sign making for HONK today at 4 at 186 Alewife Brook Parkway #304 (Fresh
Pond Mall- above McDonald's)
2) HONK festival participation- Gather Davis Sq. at 11:30 and ask for
silver maple forest group- Wear black
3) Monday presence standing at noon- Bring signs
4) Monday training at Democracy Center with NLG- 5-7pm 45 Mt. Auburn
*5) Large public Tuesday protest from 7:30-9- at forest site with
firecrackers*
6) Tuesday night- Lesley Professor testifies to Belmont Board of Selectmen
(important to be there)
450 Concord Ave. Belmont Center, Town Hall at 7:00. Please confirm with
this number: 617 304 1592
7) Wednesday Court Hearing for injunction against further construction work
based on permit infractions with Attorney Thomas Bracken
     on Wednesday will be at 2:00 P.M. in Middlesex Superior Court, Room.
420 (Civil Session J), 200 Trade Center, Woburn, Judge Bruce Henry.

More coming
See attached for contacts.

Photo LINK of entire project and intrusion.

http://friendsofalewifereservation.org/2010_Archive/2010-12-08-FEMA-floodplain-maps-with-ONeill-footprint.htm

http://friendsofalewifereservation.org/2010-12-08-ONeill-on-FEMA-and-Mass-DEP-floodplain-maps.htm