[act-ma] Toby Hemenway on Redesigning Civilization Public Event on 2/5

Tracy Bindel info at jamaicaplainforum.org
Fri Jan 30 12:00:14 PST 2015

Hi all,
Join the Jamaica Plain Forum in welcoming world reknown permaculture and
ecology expert Toby Hemenway.  Thursday, February 5th, 7pm at First Church
Jamaica Plain, 6 Eliot Street.  RSVP on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/758298767579724/

It’s no secret that our society has become unsustainable*. Modern
agriculture, industry and finance all extract more than they give back, and
the Earth is starting to show the strain. How did we get in this mess? And,
more importantly, what can we do to help our culture get back on track?*

*The ecological design approach known as permaculture offers powerful tools
for the design of regenerative, fair ways to provide food, energy,
livelihood, and other needs while letting humans share the planet with the
rest of nature. This presentation will give you insight into why our
culture has become fundamentally unsus**tainable, and offers ecologically
based solutions that can help create a just and sustainable society.*

BIO:
Toby Hemenway is the author of Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale
Permaculture, which was awarded the Nautilus Gold Medal in 2011, was named
by the Washington Post as one of the ten best gardening books of 2010, and
for the last eight years has been the best-selling permaculture book in the
world. Toby has been an adjunct professor at Portland State University,
Scholar-in-Residence at Pacific University, and has taught over sixty
72-hour permaculture design courses. He has presented lectures and
workshops at major sustainability conferences such as Bioneers, SolFest,
and EcoFarm, and at Duke University, Tufts University, University of
Minnesota, University of Delaware and many other educational venues. His
writing has appeared in magazines such as Natural Home, Whole Earth Review,
and American Gardener. Toby and his wife, Kiel, spent ten years creating a
rural permaculture site in southern Oregon. They then moved to Portland,
Oregon in 2004, where Toby spent six years developing urban sustainability
resources. Toby and his wife now live in Sebastopol, California. His new
book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City, will be coming out in
mid-2015.