[act-ma] Center for Marxist Education - February Events

Casey Doyle cdoyle1477 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:54:11 PST 2015

*February Events and Hours*
Center for Marxist Education | 550 Mass Ave, Cambridge | 2nd Floor
*Sunday Film & Discussion*
*Black Power Mixtape*
Sunday, February 22
*Two Showings: 2:00pm and 6:00pm*
During the rise of The Black Power Movement in the 60 s and 70 s, Swedish
Television journalists documented the unfolding cultural revolution for
their audience back home, having been granted unprecedented access to
prominent leaders such as Angela Davis, the SNCC's Stokely Carmichael, and
Black Panthers founders Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale. Now, after more
than 30 years in storage, this never-before-seen footage spanning nearly a
decade of Black Power is finally available. Director Goran Hugo Olsson
presents this mixtape, highlighting the key figures and events in the
movement, as seen in a light completely different than the narrative of the
American media at the time. Talib Kweli, Erykah Badu, Abiodun Oyewole, John
Forte, and Robin Kelley are among the many important voices providing
narration and commentary, adding modern perspective to this essential time
capsule of African-American history. (96 minutes)
2:00 pm showing: www.facebook.com/events/775439305882474
6:00 pm showing: www.facebook.com/events/411707672327646
   *Why the Capitalists Are So Weak: An Introduction to Marxist World
Political Economy*
Saturday, February 28th - 3-5pm
Capitalism has the weapons to destroy the world a few thousand times over.
But it is too weak to stop the destruction of environment and society which
threatens humanity. This presentation looks at reasons why, in what is
effectively an introduction to Marxist international political economy. Led
by Wadi'h Halabi of the Center for Marxist Education and the Economics
Commission of the CPUSA. Based on presentations in China.
www.facebook.com/events/1384256255220233

*Women & Marxism*
*International Women's Day: A History*
Tuesday, February 24th - 7-9pm
Dicussion on the history and importance on International Women's Day which
falls on March 8th each year.
www.facebook.com/events/1434273700197919
 *Center for Marxist Education Hours*
In addition to our event times we are open the following evenings:
Monday – 4-8
Tuesday – 4-8
Wednesday – 4-8
Check our Facebook to see which other days we will be open this winter!

The Center has been made possible for over 4 decades by volunteer time and
contributions from you. If you wish to help us keep the Center going and
new books coming in, donations can be made by sending a check made out to
Bookmarx
mailed to:
Center for Marxist Education
PO Box 390459
Cambridge, MA 02139

facebook.com/CenterForMarxistEducation

If you no longer wish to receive these emails please send an email to
CenterForMarxistEducation at gmail.com with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.