[act-ma] 3/04 Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Mar 1 17:59:47 PST 2015

Harvard Book Store welcomes security tech expert and bestselling author
BRUCE SCHNEIER for a discussion of his latest book, /Data and Goliath:
The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World/.

You are under surveillance right now.

Your cell phone provider tracks your location and knows who’s with you.
Your online and in-store purchasing patterns are recorded, and reveal if
you're unemployed, sick, or pregnant. Your e-mails and texts expose your
intimate and casual friends. Google knows what you’re thinking because
it saves your private searches. Facebook can determine your sexual
orientation without you ever mentioning it.

The powers that surveil us do more than simply store this information.
Corporations use surveillance to manipulate not only the news articles
and advertisements we each see, but also the prices we’re offered.
Governments use surveillance to discriminate, censor, chill free speech,
and put people in danger worldwide. And both sides share this
information with each other or, even worse, lose it to cybercriminals in
huge data breaches.

Much of this is voluntary: we cooperate with corporate surveillance
because it promises us convenience, and we submit to government
surveillance because it promises us protection. The result is a mass
surveillance society of our own making. But have we given up more than
we’ve gained? In /Data and Goliath/, Bruce Schneier offers another path,
one that values both security and privacy. He shows us exactly what we
can do to reform our government surveillance programs and shake up
surveillance-based business models, while also providing tips for you to
protect your privacy every day. You'll never look at your phone, your
computer, your credit cards, or even your car in the same way again.

Wednesday  March 4, 2015  7:00 PM

        Location

Harvard Book Store
1256 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
Directions » <javascript:show_tab('directions','black'); load();>

        Tickets

This event is free; no tickets are required.