[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - March 1, 2015

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Mar 1 11:46:19 PST 2015

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com <http://hubevents.blogspot.com/> is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) Events
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html <http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html>

---------------------
Monday, March 2
----------------------

9am  Eradicating Child Homelessness in Massachusetts Conference
10am  Optoelectronics: Next Generation Systems Combining Photonics and Electronics
10am  A BioFabrication Success Story: From Mushrooms to Packing/Building Materials
12pm  Lunch and Learn: Reinventing laundry with AquaFresco
12pm  New York's "Reforming the Energy Vision" Initiative
12:15pm  Experts in Cruelty: Interrogation in Abu Ghraib and After
3pm  Transports of Delight -- How Technology Conveys Us to New Realms of Being
3pm  Open Meetings: Digital Futures Consortium
4pm  Patent Trolls: Evidence from Targeted Firms
4pm  Global Demographic Projections: Future Trajectories and Associated Uncertainty
5pm  Micromégas. The Very Small, the Very Large, and the Objects of Digital Humanities
5pm  Music of Azerbaijan: Fargana Qasimova Ensemble
5:30pm  Fuel Cell Technology: Innovation Transforming Markets - Opportunities for clean-tech, defense and transportation
6pm  Power to the Pedals: Wenzday Jane and the Culture of Change
7pm  The Oldest Living Things in the World

-----------------------
Tuesday, March 3
-----------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
8am  Boston TechBreakfast Presented by Colliers: March 2015
12pm  R. Buckminster Fuller's "Pattern Thinking," with Daniel Lopez-Perez and Hanif Kara
12:30pm  What Shapes Health
12:30pm  Lawyering for Social Justice in the Age of Digital Media
3:30pm  Housing Access Solutions We Don't Want to Think About...That Just Might Work
4pm  Notes from Underground: Countercultural Print Material from Samizdat to Zines
4:30pm  Offshore Nuclear Reactors
4:30pm  The Pioneer's Progress: From Revolution to Constitutional Government in Tunisia?
5pm  The World Is Not the Screen: How Computers Shape Our Sense of Place
6pm  Farmer's Market Q + A
6pm  The Goldsmith Awards in Political Journalism
6pm  From watch to smartwatch
6:30pm  'How Much Can You Learn for Free?': Open Online Learning Goes Big
6pm  BASG: Tackling Sustainability in Sports (rescheduled from Feb. 3rd)
6:30pm  D-Lab Scale-Ups: Micro-finance for Solar Lighting in Morocco
6:30pm  Discussion: Race and Climate Change
6:30pm  TechHub Boston Demo Night - March 2015
7pm  The Advent of the Anthropocene: Was that the Big Story of the 20th Century

---------------------------
Wednesday, March 4
---------------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
9am  Goldsmith Seminar on Investigative Reporting
12pm  The Policeman at the Elbow: The Neuroscience of Addiction, Self-Control, and Criminal Responsibility
12:30pm  Iron Fist, Velvet Glove: China's Human Rights at Home and Abroad
4pm  Hydromechanical Challenges (and opportunities) during Geologic Carbon Storage
5:30pm  Askwith Forum - Opening the Third Chapter: Finding Purpose and Passion
6pm  Urban Economic Development: An evening with Jay Ash, Massachusetts Secretary of Housing & Economic Development
6pm  MassChallenge Sampler – Fundraising: Avoid the Pitfalls
7pm  Data and Goliath:  The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
7pm  21st Century Warfare: Pentagon Strategy and Activist Response
7pm  3D Printing: Making the Future
7pm  Renew Boston Multi-Family Energy Efficiency Workshop
7pm  Film Screening: The Man Who Saved the World

-------------------------
Thursday, March 5
------------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
9am  Taking Action Together to End Homelessness: Join the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless at the State House
11:45am  Social Sustainability Goals in the food and grocery industry
12pm  The African Elephant Poaching Crisis
12:15pm  The Paradox of Forever War and the Concept of the Enemy in International Law
12:30pm  Japan’s Aging Society and the Role of Higher Education
4:15pm  Labyrinth of Things: Lecture by Diana Taylor
4:15pm  An Operations Lens on the Effectiveness of Extended Producer Responsibility Legislation
4:30pm  'Race for the Double Helix', Film Screening and Discussion
5pm  Media and Memory at the Videotheque de Paris
5pm  MIT Water Night
5:30pm  EnergyBar!
6pm  Evolution Matters Lecture Series: The Revolution in Plant Evolution
6pm  Things We Don't Talk About - Schlesinger Movie Night
6pm  The Social and Not-Social Entrepreneur’s 2-Hour College of Hard Knocks
6pm  (Un)Familiar Deaths: Politics of Death and Dying in the Contemporary World
6pm  Designing Boston: Olympics 2024
6pm  From Private Play to Public Entertainment: Live-streaming and the Growth of Online Broadcast
6:30pm  Sustainability Collaborative
6:30pm  Olympics Meeting
7pm  Our Lives Matter: Art as Protest at SCATV
7pm  Future Crimes:  Everything Is Connected, Everyone Is Vulnerable and What We Can Do About It

---------------------
Friday, March 6
--------------------

7:30am  18th Annual International Women's Day Breakfast:  Making Women's Rights Real
2pm  Thomas Piketty "Capital in the Twenty-First Century"
2:30pm  The Mystery of the Missing Watt: Electricity in the Making of Modern Tokyo
3pm  Energy Revolution:  The Physics and the Promise of Efficient Technology
5pm  Harvard Design Magazine Launch of 'Wet Matter'

------------------------
Saturday, March 7
-----------------------

10am  Maple Syrup Festival
10:30am  Changing the Way we Eat
4:30pm  Oxfam America Hunger Banquet®

-----------------------
Sunday, March 8
----------------------

3pm  The Health of Democracy: Privatizing Education

----------------------
Monday, March 9
----------------------

11am  MIT Innovation Initiative: From Vision to Action
12pm  EPA’s Clean Power Plan: What Should States be sure not to Do?
12:15pm  Science and World Order': Uses of Science in Plans for International Government, 1899-1950
5pm  From Sand Castles To Urban Modeling: A Physicist's Naive Thoughts on Construction and Cities
7pm  Science by the Pint: Convergent Evolution: the discovery of natural selection
7:30pm  Meet and Workshop Games with U.N. Designers at the Engagement Lab

-------------------------
Tuesday, March 10
-------------------------

8:30am  Webinar: Urbanization and the Changing Landscape:  Land Use Changes and Carbon Budgets in China
8:30am  Local Specialty Crop Trade Show & Local Food Trade Show
12pm  Anna Holmes
12pm  Distributed and Digital Disaster Response
12pm  Trouble at treeline: loss of a Rocky Mountain foundation species
12:30pm  Survival and Recovery from the Tohoku Disaster
1pm  Clean Energy Standard Hearings
4pm  43rd James R. Killian Jr. Faculty Achievement Award Lecture
4pm  Next Steps After Ferguson, Garner & Rice
4:30pm  The Future of the Documentary
6pm  North America's Shale Gas Resources; Energy and Environmental Perspectives
6pm  High-Tech Med:  The Newest Wave of Medical Innovation
6pm  SCIENCE with/in/sight: 2015 Koch Institute Image Awards

---------------------------------
*************************

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com <http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/>

Cities Scale: Boston Living with Water
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/23/1366426/-Cities-Scale-Boston-Living-with-Water <http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/23/1366426/-Cities-Scale-Boston-Living-with-Water>

Envisioning the Energy Future
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2015/02/envisioning-energy-future.html <http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2015/02/envisioning-energy-future.html>

----------------------
Monday, March 2
----------------------

Eradicating Child Homelessness in Massachusetts Conference
Monday, March 2
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)
Lesley University, University Hall, 1815 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eradicating-child-homelessness-in-massachusetts-conference-tickets-15836606717 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/eradicating-child-homelessness-in-massachusetts-conference-tickets-15836606717>

Eradicating Child Homelessness in Massachusetts Conference
9:25 AM  Greetings: Mary DeLorse Coleman, Dean of the College Liberal Arts and Sciences, Lesley University
9:30- 11:00 AM	  Morning Panel: "Why Has Massachusetts Failed to Eradicate Homelessness and Child Poverty"
Speaker: Noah Berger, President, MA Budget and Policy Center
Respondents: Kelly Turley, Director of Legislative Advocacy, MA Coalition for the Homeless
The Honorable Rodney Elliott, Mayor of Lowell
11:30 - 1:00 PM  Child Homelessness in Massachusetts: Lesley University's Role and Commitment
Occasion: Laurie Schoen, Founder of U.S. 4 Kids and the Lesley University Child Homelessness Initiative
Joseph Moore, President of Lesley University
Keynote Address: Elisabeth Babcock, President and CEO of Crittenton Women's Union
"Using Brain Science to Create Pathways Out of Poverty"
1:30 - 2:45 PM  Afternoon Panel 1: "Preparing Teachers Who Work on the Front Lines with Home"
3:00 - 4:15 PM	Afternnon Panel 2: " A Governmental Response to Child and Family Homelessness

---------------------------------

Optoelectronics: Next Generation Systems Combining Photonics and Electronics
Monday, March 2
10am to 11am
Harvard, 60 Oxford Street, Room 330, Cambridge

William Loh, National Institute of Standards and Technology
Frequency is the most accurately known quantity in the world. The precision that which frequency can be known dictates the fundamental performance of many systems in both basic and applied science. Our knowledge of frequency is instrumental to the fields of precision spectroscopy and frequency metrology for resolving spectral information at the highest levels of accuracy. From our knowledge of frequency, we also gain access to time. Our knowledge of time provides the capability for accurately measuring position, which then serves as the foundation for the operation of radar, LIDAR, and GPS systems. Finally, our control over frequency provides the capacity to control phase, which further enables accurate interferometric measurements of temperature, displacement, and strain. The low-noise oscillator serves as the technological backbone to all of these applications.

In this talk, I show that the powerful combination of photonics and electronics provides a path towards realizing oscillators and more broadly entire systems with higher functionality. I discuss a new class of low-noise lasers based on Brillouin gain in a microresonator that uses electronic feedback to achieve linewidths below 100 Hz. At the same time, I show microwave oscillators whose noise properties are greatly enhanced through the incorporation of photonic delay. The union of photonics with electronics gives rise to new capabilities beyond that of traditional systems. I demonstrate this through the realization of a nonlinear optoelectronic filter capable of rejecting the transmission of one RF signal among many other signals independent of their frequency separation.

Speaker Bio: William Loh received the B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 2007, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 2009 and 2013, respectively. He is currently a National Research Council Fellow conducting his postdoctoral research in the Time and Frequency Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. He is the recipient of the MIT Siebel Foundation Scholarship in 2009, the IEEE Photonics Society Fellowship in 2012, and the NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship in 2013.

Electrical Engineering Seminar Series

-------------------------------

A BioFabrication Success Story: From Mushrooms to Packing/Building Materials
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 10 – 11:45 a.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Room 521, Wyss Institute, 3 Blackfan Circle, Boston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Pat Sapinsley, visiting scholar, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University, president, Building Efficiently, LLC
SPEAKER(S)  Eban Bayer, CEO and co-founder, Ecovative Design
COST  Free and open to the public
DETAILS  Started in 2007 by two engineering students, Ecovative Design is a company founded around a biologically grown substitute for plastic foam. Ecovative Design has become a commercially viable company with strategic relationships with 3M, Dell, Steelcase and Sealed Air (manufacturers of Bubblewrap). Eban Bayer, CEO and co-founder, will share knowledge and lessons learned about the path to commercialization. Topics covered will range from the decision to move from building insulation to packaging, funding process, scale-up issues of bio-fabrication, intellectual property and licensing issues. Bayer will start the conversation with a short presentation, to be followed by a discussion with attendees.
LINK	http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewevent/447 <http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewevent/447>

---------------------------

Lunch and Learn: Reinventing laundry with AquaFresco
Monday, March 2
12:00 pm
MIT, Building 4-145, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

AquaFresco is a spin-off of the winning team of 2014 MADMEC (Materials Science Solutions for Sustainability) competition. They are reinventing the laundry process to reduce 95% of water and detergent use for laundry. They will discuss how they went from a crazy idea to a working prototype and the bottlenecks they now encounter for commercialization and product development.

More information at http://waterclub.scripts.mit.edu/wp/events/event/lunch-and-learn-reinventing-laundry-with-aquafresco/ <http://waterclub.scripts.mit.edu/wp/events/event/lunch-and-learn-reinventing-laundry-with-aquafresco/>

---------------------------

"Public Policy and the US Solar Industry"
Monday, March 2
12-1:30
Harvard, Bell Hall (5th Floor Belfer Building), 79 JFK Street, Cambridge

 with Frank O’Sullivan, Director of Research and Analysis, MIT Energy Initiative

ETIP/Consortium Energy Policy Seminar
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/cepr/ <http://www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/cepr/>

Contact Name:   Louisa Lund
Louisa_Lund at hks.harvard.edu

-----------------------

"Experts in Cruelty: Interrogation in Abu Ghraib and After"
Monday, March 2
12:15PM - 2:00PM
Harvard, Room 100F, Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford Street, Cambridge

Steve Caton, Harvard, Anthropology
Sandwich lunches are provided. Please RSVP to sts at hks.harvard.edu by Wednesday at 5PM the week before.

STS Circle at Harvard
http://sts.hks.harvard.edu/events/sts_circle/

Contact Name:  Shana Rabinowich
sts at hks.harvard.edu
More at: http://environment.harvard.edu/events/2015-03-02-171500-2015-03-02-190000/sts-circle-harvard#sthash.jgKMoBwx.dpuf

------------------------------

Transports of Delight -- How Technology Conveys Us to New Realms of Being
Monday, March 2
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Tufts, Anderson Hall, Room 112, 200 College Avenue Medford

Speaker: Peter Hancock, University of Central Florida
Abstract
I present three narratives concerning the etiology of necessary engineering disasters. They each contain salient signposts as to the way in which technological imagination and inspiration coalesce and then how they subsequently fail. I look to identify common patterns across these respective examples and extrapolate such trends to other similarly failed technologies in order to articulate the link between initial aspiration, physical manifestation and tragic demise. I shall emphasize certain explicit connections between the three specific stories I present in order to extrapolate much wider principles. Cognizant of the temptation to impose rather than extract regularities, I shall endeavor to articulate more general principles concerning human interaction with self-created technical systems; a phenomenon I have termed self-symbiosis. My curriculum vita is available at (www.peterhancock.ucf.edu <http://www.peterhancock.ucf.edu/>) and I will be prepared to answer questions concerning all of my work.

Bio
Peter A. Hancock, D.Sc., Ph.D. is Provost Distinguished Research Professor in the Department of Psychology and the Institute for Simulation and Training, as well as at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems at the University of Central Florida (UCF). He directs the MIT Research Laboratories and Associate Director of the Center for Applied Human Factors in Aviation (CAHFA). Prior to his current position, he founded and was the Director of the Human Factors Research Laboratory (HFRL) at the University of Minnesota. He is also an affiliated Scientist of the Humans and Automation Laboratory at MIT, a Research Associate of the University of Michigan Transport Research Institute, and a Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition in Pensacola, Florida. Professor Hancock is the author of over seven hundred refereed scientific articles and publications as well as writing and editing fifteen books.

Host: Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science
Information:  http://www.cs.tufts.edu/Colloquia.html <http://www.cs.tufts.edu/Colloquia.html>

----------------------------

Open Meetings: Digital Futures Consortium
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 3 – 4:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Lamont Library Forum Room, 11 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Information Technology
LIBRARY LOCATION  Lamont Library
DETAILS  Regular general meetings for the Digital Futures Consortium at Harvard University in the coming academic year will be held on the first Mondays in October, March and June. These are general meetings separate from any event planning or project working groups. They are open to anyone with interest in digital scholarship, its evolving tools, and tapping into potential working relationships.
Digital Futures is an informal network of faculty, researchers, technologists, and librarians engaged in the ongoing transformation of scholarship through innovative technology. We are dedicated to sharing expertise across the global academic community, facilitating new forms and methods of research, and fostering collaborative projects that bring about field-changing developments in scholarship.

-----------------------------

Patent Trolls: Evidence from Targeted Firms
Monday, March 2
4:00p–5:30p
MIT, Building E62-650, 100 Main Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Lauren Cohen and Scott Kominers (Harvard)

Web site: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2464303 <http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2464303>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Microeconomic Applications
For more information, contact:  economics calendar
econ-cal at mit.edu <mailto:econ-cal at mit.edu>

------------------------------

Global Demographic Projections: Future Trajectories and Associated Uncertainty
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 4 – 5:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, 9 Bow Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Research study, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	HCPDS
SPEAKER(S)  John Wilmoth, director of the population division, United Nations; professor, Department of Demography, University of California at Berkeley
CONTACT INFO	ksmall at hsph.harvard.edu <mailto:ksmall at hsph.harvard.edu>
LINK	http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/population-development/events/pop-center-seminars/

------------------------------

Micromégas. The Very Small, the Very Large, and the Objects of Digital Humanities
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 5 – 6:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Tsai Auditorium, CGIS South, 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Humanities, Information Technology, Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Department of English
SPEAKER(S)  Franco Moretti
The Danily C. and Laura Louise Bell Professor in the Humanities
Stanford University
COST  Free and open to the public.
LINK	english.fas.harvard.edu <http://english.fas.harvard.edu/>

-------------------------------

Music of Azerbaijan: Fargana Qasimova Ensemble
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 5 – 6:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Andover Chapel, 45 Francis Avenue, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Concerts, Music, Religion
SPONSOR	Alwaleed Islamic Studies Program, the Religious Literacy Project at Harvard Divinity School, the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, and the Aga Khan Music Initiative.
CONTACT	Krystina Friedlander
DETAILS  Please join the Alwaleed Islamic Studies Program, the Religious Literacy Project at Harvard Divinity School, the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, and the Aga Khan Music Initiative for an evening of Azerbaijani music with the Fargana Qasimova Ensemble.
For Fargana Qasimova, the passionate lyrics of Azerbaijani mugham and spirited songs of the bardicashiq tradition provided the soundscape of her childhood. Now a consummate vocalist in her own right, Fargana has developed her own distinctive style that builds on the formidable artistic legacy bequeathed to her by her father, the renowned musician Alim Qasimov. Accompanied by the same quartet of young musicians as her father, Fargana offers a brilliant example of tradition-based music performed with a contemporary sensibility.
Reception to follow.

------------------------------

Fuel Cell Technology: Innovation Transforming Markets - Opportunities for clean-tech, defense and transportation
Monday, March 2
5:30-7 pm
UMass Boston, Ryan Lounge, McCormack Hall, 3rd floor,

Speakers: Charlie Myers, President Massachusetts Hydrogen Association; Gami Maislin, Raytheon
Fuel cell technology has experienced rapid development in recent years and offers clean, cool, quiet, efficient and reliable energy generation. Fuel cells are used in a wide range of markets including defense, electric power, and automobiles.

Join this discussion to learn how fuel cell technology might transform several sectors, creating business opportunities and reducing carbon emissions.

Charlie Myers is President of the Massachusetts Hydrogen Association and Expert, Fuel Cell & Hydrogen Technologies, SRA International.  He provides support to the U.S. Department of Energy Fuel Cell Technologies Office, and is part of the Early Market Transformation Team tasked to create the hydrogen fueling infrastructure and facilitate the launch of fuel cell electric vehicles in the Northeast, in support of the 8 State Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Coalition.
Gami Maislin leads the Power Enterprise Campaign at Raytheon. Her work focuses on technology insertion and business development enabled by new alternatepower and energy solutions. She conducts site visits to small & large companies, universities and national labs to perform technical comparative trade studies and Return on Investment (ROI) analyses for a wide range of DoD applications. Gami has a PhD in physics from the University of Rochester.

 For more information contact Vesela.Veleva at umb.edu <mailto:Vesela.Veleva at umb.edu>

----------------------------

Power to the Pedals: Wenzday Jane and the Culture of Change
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 6 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall, Room 2012, 1585 Mass Avenue, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Business, Environmental Sciences, Film, Law
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Emmett Environmental Law and Policy Clinic & Transactional Law Clinics, of Harvard Law School
DIRECTED BY  Bob Nesson
COST  Free and open to the public
DETAILS  Power to the Pedals: Wenzday Jane and the Culture of Change, a film by Bob Nesson, portrays the transformative vision and extraordinary efforts of a woman whose mechanical skills and innovative actions are reshaping her community. Wenzday Jane heads a movement to replace trucks with human powered vehicles for local cargo transportation. She goes to the heart of the sustainability issue by offering practical solutions.

--------------------------------

The Oldest Living Things in the World
WHEN  Mon., Mar. 2, 2015, 7 – 8:15 p.m.
WHERE  Hunnewell Building, Arnold Arboretum, 125 Arborway, Boston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Art/Design, Humanities, Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
SPEAKER(S)  Rachel Sussman, photographer
COST  Free, but registration required
TICKET WEB LINK  http://arboretum.harvard.edu/news-events/directors-lecture-series/ <http://arboretum.harvard.edu/news-events/directors-lecture-series/>
CONTACT INFO	617.384.5277 or adulted at arnarb.harvard.edu <mailto:adulted at arnarb.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  Since 2004 Rachel Sussman has been researching, working with biologists, and traveling the world to photograph continuously living organisms 2,000 years old and older. Her work spans disciplines, continents, and millennia: it is part art and part science, has an innate environmentalism, and is underscored by an existential incursion into Deep Time. Her original index of millennia-old organisms has never before been created in the arts or sciences. Enjoy her awe-inspiring photographs and hear what it means to bear witness to organisms that perhaps predate human history and that may survive well into future generations. Her book, The Oldest Living Things in the World, will be available for purchase and signing.
LINK	arboretum.harvard.edu <http://arboretum.harvard.edu/>

-----------------------
Tuesday, March 3
-----------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
March 3 – 5, 2015
Seaport World Trade Center, Boston
RSVP for extensive Trade Show free with discount code:
EXPOATBE15
at http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15 <http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15>

Editorial Comment:  Your editor will be part of a panel on urban food production on March 4 at 4pm.

----------------------------

Boston TechBreakfast Presented by Colliers: March 2015
Tuesday, March 3
8:00 AM
Microsoft NERD - Horace Mann Room, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Boston-TechBreakfast/events/215003132/ <http://www.meetup.com/Boston-TechBreakfast/events/215003132/>

Interact with your peers in a monthly morning breakfast meetup. At this monthly breakfast get-together techies, developers, designers, and entrepreneurs share learn from their peers through show and tell / show-case style presentations.
And yes, this is free! Thank our sponsors when you see them :)

Agenda for Boston TechBreakfast:
8:00 - 8:15 - Get yer Bagels & Coffee and chit-chat
8:15 - 8:20 - Introductions, Sponsors, Announcements
8:20 - ~9:30 - Showcases and Shout-Outs!

~9:30 - end - Final "Shout Outs" & Last Words

--------------------------

R. Buckminster Fuller's "Pattern Thinking," with Daniel Lopez-Perez and Hanif Kara
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 3, 2015, 12 – 1 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Stubbin's Room, 48 Quincy Street, Gund Hall, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Art/Design, Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Harvard University Graduate School of Design
SPEAKER(S)  Daniel Lopez-Perez and Hanif Kara
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	events at gsd.harvard.edu <mailto:events at gsd.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  In celebration of R. Buckminster Fuller’s 120th anniversary (1895-2015), “Pattern Thinking” explores the relationship between artifacts and inventions in his work, and their legacy in contemporary practice. Daniel López-Pérez will present historical and contemporary documentation that traces Fuller’s trajectory of exploration spanning four decades, while Hanif  will speak about their analysis (local and global, stick and surface, linear non-linear) and reflect upon Fuller’s legacy in contemporary projects and current design trends.
LINK	www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/events/innovate-daniel-lopez-perez-and-hanif-kara-on-buckminster-fuller.html

---------------------------------

What Shapes Health
Tuesday, March 3
12:30-1:30pm ET
Webinar at http://theforum.sph.harvard.edu/events/what-shapes-health/ <http://theforum.sph.harvard.edu/events/what-shapes-health/>
Interested in Attending in Person? Contact theforum at hsph.harvard.edu <mailto:theforum at hsph.harvard.edu>.

WHAT SHAPES HEALTH
Presented in Collaboration with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and NPR

Health is more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes in surprising ways, factors such as childhood experiences, housing conditions, poor diets, and healthcare access drive who ends up sick — and who does not. This Forum event, held in connection with a new poll by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and NPR, will investigate these factors from the perspective of experts and the U.S. public, as well as examine public perceptions of what impacts health and what actions can be taken to improve health.

E-mail questions for the expert participants any time before or during the live webcast to theforum at hsph.harvard.edu <mailto:theforum at hsph.harvard.edu>. Or Tweet them to @ForumHSPH using #whatshapeshealth.

-----------------------------

Lawyering for Social Justice in the Age of Digital Media
Tuesday, March 3
12:30 pm
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 23 Everett Street, Second Floor, Cambridge
RSVP required for those attending in person at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Cohen#RSVP <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Cohen#RSVP>
Event will be webcast live on http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Cohen <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Cohen> at 12:30 pm.

Harvard Law School Lecturer on Law, Rebecca Richman Cohen
sTwenty years ago, effective legal advocacy required some fluency with press releases and mainstream media -- but today's digital media tools require a different sort of training.  These tools enable lawyers to bring the voices of their clients directly to policymakers and mass audiences; to create new and richer ways to present evidence and expert reports; to expose government and corporate corruption; to crowdsource the documentation of law violations; to gather and authenticate visual evidence on mobile phones; to enhance public understanding of the law, to give legal information to unrepresented litigants en masse; and so much more.  How do we teach today’s young advocates to integrate rich, multi-platform media campaigns into their legal work?

About Rebecca
Rebecca Richman Cohen has been a Lecturer on Law art Harvard Law School since 2011.  She is an Emmy Award nominated documentary filmmaker with experience in international human rights, criminal defense, and drug policy reform. Rebecca was profiled in Filmmaker Magazine's 25 New Faces in Independent Film as an "up-and-comer poised to shape the next generation of independent film." She has taught classes at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), American University's Human Rights Institute, and most recently at Columbia University. Rebecca graduated from Brown University with a B.A. in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies and with a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School. She was a 2012-2013 Soros Justice Fellow.

--------------------------------

Housing Access Solutions We Don't Want to Think About...That Just Might Work
Tuesday, March 3
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM (Light Refreshments served at 3:00 PM)
ABCD Melnea Cass Room, 3rd Floor, 178 Tremont Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/housing-access-solutions-we-dont-want-to-think-aboutthat-just-might-work-registration-15745275543 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/housing-access-solutions-we-dont-want-to-think-aboutthat-just-might-work-registration-15745275543>

Help ask the tough questions...
How can landlords help keep rents 'affordable'?
How might linkage, zoning, and other regulatory mechanisms increase the housing supply for families living in poverty?
Is micro-housing an answer for low-income individuals?
Should housing expenses be earmarked in a person's cash benefits?
... and leave with answers that lead to action!

Sheila Dillon, City of Boston, Chief of Housing & Director, Neighborhood Development
Richard Taylor, Center for Real Estate, Sawyer Business School, Suffolk University, Director
Greg Vasil, Greater Boston Real Estate Board, President & CEO

-----------------------------

Notes from Underground: Countercultural Print Material from Samizdat to Zines
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 3, 2015, 4 – 6 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, CGIS South Building, Room S020 (Belfer Case Study Room), 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Art/Design, Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
SPEAKER(S)  Jessie Labov, senior fellow, Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, Harvard University
Alana Kumbier, critical social inquiry librarian, Hampshire College
Marylène Altieri, curator of books and printed materials, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
Honor Moody, cataloger, Published Material, Schlesinger Library
Svetlana Rukhelman, library assistant, Davis Center
COST  Free and open to the public
DETAILS  This panel will explore countercultural self-published print literature from the USSR and the United States, and current questions related to acquisition and access in university libraries.
Typed or handwritten, carbon- or photocopied, folded and stapled, and passed among grassroots networks, underground publishing has played a significant role in responding to the dominant political and cultural forces of its day. What can we learn from looking at both the historical processes of production and the physical objects they produced? What questions are raised by the collection of such ephemeral materials in university archives? Beginning with the case of dissident samizdat materials in the Soviet Union, the panel will look toward contemporary countercultural zines in the United States and opportunities to engage with these publications in university and grassroots libraries. Themes for discussion include the use of digital humanities to study material ephemera, and the challenges inherent to preserving and studying these works.
Free and open to the public.

------------------------------

Offshore Nuclear Reactors
Tuesday, March 3
4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
MIT, Building  E19-623, Knight Conference Room, 400 Main Street, Cambridge

Jacopo Buongiorno, Associate Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering/MIT

Jacopo Buongiorno (Nuc Eng PhD, MIT, 2000; Nuc Eng BS, Polytechnic of Milan, 1996) is Associate Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in thermo-fluids engineering and nuclear reactor engineering. His areas of technical expertise and research interest are reactor design, nanofluid technology, fluid dynamics, and two-phase flow and heat transfer in advanced nuclear systems. For his work in these areas and his teaching at MIT Prof. Buongiorno won several awards, including, recently, the MacVicar Faculty Award (MIT, 2014), and Landis Young Member Engineering Achievement Award (American Nuclear Society, 2011). Professor Buongiorno is a member of the American Nuclear Society (ANS) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME); Co-Director of the Reactor Technology Course for Nuclear Utility Executives, which is offered jointly by MIT and the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO); and a consultant for the nuclear industry (AREVA, DCNS, B&W, Westinghouse, and South Texas Project) in the area of reactor thermal hydraulics. He served on the ANS Special Committee on Fukushima, and currently is on the accrediting board of INPO’s National Academy of Nuclear Training (NANT). From 2000 to 2004 he worked as a research scientist at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL), where he led the DOE’s Generation-IV program for the development of the supercritical water cooled reactor in the United States.

------------------------------

The Pioneer's Progress: From Revolution to Constitutional Government in Tunisia?
Tuesday, March 3
4:30p–6:00p
MIT, Building E51-376, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Hugh Roberts
Dr. Hugh Roberts is the Edward Keller Professor of North African and Middle Eastern History at Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, USA and a specialist on North African history and politics. He took up his post at Tufts in January 2012.

Between 1976 and 1997 Roberts lectured in the School of Development Studies at the University of East Anglia, the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex, the Department of Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley and the Department of History at the School of Oriental and African Studies in the University of London. From 1997 to 2002 he was a Senior Research Fellow of the Development Studies Institute at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Roberts has also worked outside academia, as an independent scholar and consultant on North African affairs and as Director of the International Crisis Group's North Africa Project, based in Cairo, from 2002 to 2007 and again from February to July 2011. His book, The Battlefield: Algeria 1988-2002. Studies in a broken polity, was published by Verso in 2003. His newest books, Berber Government: the Kabyle polity in pre-colonial Algeria, and Algerie-Kabylie: Etudes et interventions de Hugh Roberts (in French) were published in 2014.

Emile Bustani Middle East Seminar
The Emile Bustani Middle East Seminar is organized under the auspices of the MIT Center for International Studies, which conducts research on contemporary international issues and provides an opportunity for faculty and students to share perspectives and exchange views. Each year the Bustani Seminar invites scholars, journalists, consultants and other experts from the Middle East, Europe and the United States to MIT to present recent research findings on contemporary politics, society and culture, and economic and technological development in the Middle East.

Web site: http://web.mit.edu/cis/bustani/ <http://web.mit.edu/cis/bustani/>
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free
Sponsor(s): Center for International Studies, MIT Technology and Culture Forum
For more information, contact:  Heidi Erickson
253-1888
hae at mit.edu <mailto:hae at mit.edu>

------------------------------

The World Is Not the Screen: How Computers Shape Our Sense of Place
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 3, 2015, 5 p.m.
WHERE  Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Sheerr Room, Fay House, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Information Technology, Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
SPEAKER(S)  Nicholas Carr, writer
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	events at radcliffe.harvard.edu <mailto:events at radcliffe.harvard.edu>
LINK	http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-nicholas-carr-lecture

------------------------------

Farmer's Market Q + A
Tuesday, March 3
6pm
Crop Circle Kitchen, 196 Quincy Street, Dorchester
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/farmers-market-q-a-tickets-15934812453 <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/farmers-market-q-a-tickets-15934812453>

The panel is focused on specialty food product companies planning to sell at farmers markets.
The panelists include:
Martha Sweet, Director of Programs and Operations at Mass Farmer's Markets; market manager of Copley Square, Davis Square in Somerville, and Central Square in Cambridge markets.
Amanda Bauman, owner of Chica de Gallo, a salsa and guacamole company based in Boston
Alex Bourgeois, owner of Alex's Ugly Sauce, an artisinal hot sauce company based in Boston

Topics covered include:
All markets are not created equal, established versus new markets, how to apply, options if you don't get accepted
costs: fees, permits, staffing
display, importance of a strong visual set-up
getting customers to stop, look, buy
...as well as responses to any specific questions you may have!

------------------------------

The Goldsmith Awards in Political Journalism
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 3, 2015, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
WHERE  John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum, Harvard Kennedy School, 79 JFK Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Award Ceremonies, Humanities, Lecture, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School
SPEAKER(S)  Marvin Kalb, veteran reporter for CBS News, NBC News, and former moderator of Meet The Press
COST  Free and open to the public
TICKET INFO  Available for streaming online: http://shorensteincenter.org/shorenstein-center-announces-finalists-for-2015-goldsmith-prize/ <http://shorensteincenter.org/shorenstein-center-announces-finalists-for-2015-goldsmith-prize/>
CONTACT INFO	Alison Kommer, alison_kommer at hks.harvard.edu <mailto:alison_kommer at hks.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  Featuring the presentation of the Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting; and the presentation of the Goldsmith Book Prizes. finalists for the Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting include: The Boston Globe, Miami Herald, The Post and Courier, ProPublica and NPR, Reuters, and The Wall Street Journal.
LINK	http://shorensteincenter.org/shorenstein-center-announces-finalists-for-2015-goldsmith-prize/ <http://shorensteincenter.org/shorenstein-center-announces-finalists-for-2015-goldsmith-prize/>

---------------------------

"From watch to smartwatch"
Tuesday, March 3
6PM to 9PM
swissnex Boston - Consulate of Switzerland, 420 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/from-watch-to-smartwatch-innovation-against-the-clock-tickets-15733623692 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/from-watch-to-smartwatch-innovation-against-the-clock-tickets-15733623692>

This is not an official Wearable Technology meetup, but a great talk being presented at the swissnex Boston that could be of interest to the group.  I'll be there wearing a red sweater, so please do say hello if you see me!

As part of the month-long celebration of the Francophonie, swissnex Boston and its Café des Sciences partners invite you to La Grande Soirée Scientifique: Interview with Elmar Mock, inventor of Swatch. Elmar will be interviewed by Heidi Legg of TheEditorial.com <http://theeditorial.com/>. Presentation will be in English.

Wearable devices and smart watches have quickly emerged onto the market—and as a result the traditional watch industry now faces disruptive changes. New players are finding their way into the market, for example Apple has announced the Apple Watch—but Swiss watchmakers are reluctant to adapt their strategies. A similar situation appeared in the seventies when the Swiss watchmakers faced tough competition from Japan.

It was thanks to leaders such as Elmar Mock and his world famous Swatch that Swiss watch manufacturers could regain their market shares. In this live interview with Heidi Legg, Elmar will share his perspectives on how today’s traditional watchmakers can proactively determine their best course, and will provide valuable lessons from his 20 plus years of experience in disruptive innovation.

http://www.swissnexboston.org/event/from-watch-to-smartwatch/#sthash.OQ7VjiiJ.dpuf <http://www.swissnexboston.org/event/from-watch-to-smartwatch/#sthash.OQ7VjiiJ.dpuf>

------------------------

BASG: Tackling Sustainability in Sports (rescheduled from Feb. 3rd)
Boston Area Sustainability Group
Tuesday, March 3
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EST)
Cambridge Innovation Center - Venture Cafe, One Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/basg-tackling-sustainability-in-sports-rescheduled-from-feb-3rd-tickets-15296472160 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/basg-tackling-sustainability-in-sports-rescheduled-from-feb-3rd-tickets-15296472160>
Cost:  $10 - $12

As the Patriots celebrate another Superbowl win, Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics advances, and shoveling becomes the official sport of the city, the Boston Area Sustainability Group (BASG) gathers to discuss and to debate the sustainability playbook of the sports industry.We will take a break from the traditional format of speakers in favor of a highly interactive audience session in March. From green certified stadiums, to inaugural national league sustainability reports, to high profile partnerships, participants will examine brief case studies of the sports industry and weigh in on who's winning and second-place strategies.

Guest Speaker

Michael Joseph is the PR/Communications Manager at Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. Originally hailing from West Virginia’s Appalachian Mountains to the south, this Mountaineer has settled in to the Green Mountains just fine. Michael is a 2011 graduate of the P.I. Reed School of Journalism at West Virginia University and previously worked as a publicist for socially responsible business and nonprofits at PMG Public Relations in Burlington, Vermont. He has been in his role with Killington and Pico since 2013. Michael will touch on the vicious climate change cycle of the snow sports industry.

----------------------------------

D-Lab Scale-Ups: Micro-finance for Solar Lighting in Morocco
Tuesday, March 3
6:30-7:30
MIT, Building E19-319, 400 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1B2aCj2XdGcgjLAUW0YQ4kweE0gKKjkluEHK59u_25d4/viewform <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1B2aCj2XdGcgjLAUW0YQ4kweE0gKKjkluEHK59u_25d4/viewform>

Eric Verploegen
D-Lab's Scale-Ups program works with social entrepreneurs from MIT and the developing world, as well as NGOs and corporations, to bring poverty alleviating technologies to market at scale. A focus is placed on projects with potential for large-scale implementation through partnerships with organizations that have a wide reach in lower income countries. An on-going project focused on utilizing micro-finance to increase access to solar lighting products in Morocco will be discussed as a case study. The approach taken for this project includes assessing needs, identifying existing appropriate technologies, and testing effective distribution strategies with local partners.

Bio:  Eric Verploegen works in Scale-Ups R&D program at D-Lab to identify off-grid energy technologies, products, and distribution strategies that can have significant social impact on a large scale.  He has a background in materials science and received his PhD in Polymer Science and Technology from MIT.  Prior to D-Lab, Eric worked on developing materials for solar cells and waste remediation systems for the oil and gas industry.

Food will be served so please RSVP!

---------------------------------

'How Much Can You Learn for Free?': Open Online Learning Goes Big
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 3, 2015, 6:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Ed Portal, 224 Western Avenue, Allston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Education, Lecture
SPEAKER(S)  Jonathan Haber, HarvardX fellow
COST  Free and open to the public; Please RSVP
CONTACT INFO	617-496-5022
DETAILS  The Harvard Ed Portal, located at 224 Western Ave. in Allston, will host a public lecture on Tuesday, March 3 at 6:30 p.m. with HarvardX fellow, Jonathan Haber, to discuss his “Degree of Freedom” one-year BA project and the growing trend of open online learning in higher education. The New York Times declared 2012 to be “The Year of the MOOC” as millions of students enrolled in massive open online courses (known as MOOCs). Three years later, what do we know about MOOCs and how are they changing the landscape of higher education? Haber will offer thoughtful commentary into the MOOC learning experience, how this educational innovation should be understood, and how participants might take advantage of these advances in teaching and learning to benefit their own educational goals.
Attendees can participate in a free raffle for a copy of his book MOOCs, and additional copies will be available for sale on site.
Parking available. Accessible by public transportation by MBTA bus 64, 66, 70, 70A, or 86.
Please RSVP
LINK	allston_edportal at harvard.edu <mailto:allston_edportal at harvard.edu>

----------------------------

Discussion: Race and Climate Change
Tuesday, March 3
6:30 PM to 8:45 PM
Community Change Inc, 14 Beacon Street #605, Boston
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Antiracists/events/220578281/ <http://www.meetup.com/Antiracists/events/220578281/>

The effects of climate change are unpredictable, and can be direct or indirect. But despite crushing natural disasters around the world, most nations have chosen to shield their economies from prudence and preparedness. The booming voices of monied interests have drowned out the voices of those meant to protect the well-being of all. Most at risk are the poor of the world. The link between poverty and race is what make climate change more alarming for people and communities of color.

Questions:
How threatening do you perceive climate change to be?
Whose voices are loudest in the climate change “debate”?
Subject aside, how would you like to see your lifestyle improved?
What parts of your current lifestyle do you think contribute most to climate change?

-----------------------------

TechHub Boston Demo Night - March 2015
Tuesday, March 3
6:30 PM to 9:30 PM (EST)
Brooklyn Boulders Somerville, 12A Tyler Street, Somerville
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/techhub-boston-demo-night-march-2015-tickets-15727778208?aff=es2&rank=663 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/techhub-boston-demo-night-march-2015-tickets-15727778208?aff=es2&rank=663>

Demo Night is a chance to see what the top startups are working on, these are the people that are changing the future of business & tech! Join TechHub Tuesday night at Brooklyn Boulders Somerville to experience great demos from the exciting tech entrepreneur community.

Each startup has 5 minutes to demo their product in front of a live audience, it's not a pitch but an opportunity for each startup to explain (and show) what they have been working on. After each demo there is live Q&A with the audience.

Afterwards, stick around for beer and wine, network, play ping pong or experience Brooklyn Boulders amazing selection of climbing walls for 1st timers to experts. We will have free gear (shoes, harness, chalk bags) & climbing facilitators ready.  So arrive in your gym clothes or change at the onsite locker rooms and be set for an amazing evening on and off the walls.

--------------------------

“The Advent of the Anthropocene: Was that the Big Story of the 20th Century”
Tuesday, March 3
7:00 pm
BU, Photonics Center, 8 St. Mary’s Street, Boston

Speaker: John McNeill

More information to follow.

---------------------------
Wednesday, March 4
---------------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
Wednesday, March 4
Seaport World Trade Center, Boston
RSVP for extensive Trade Show free with discount code:
EXPOATBE15
at http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15 <http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15>

Editorial Comment:  Your editor will be part of a panel on urban food production at 4pm

------------------------------

Goldsmith Seminar on Investigative Reporting
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 4, 2015, 9 – 10:30 a.m.
WHERE  Harvard Kennedy School, Nye Conference Center, Taubman Building, 5th Floor, 15 Eliot Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Humanities, Social Sciences, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School
SPEAKER(S)  Panelists include investigative reporters from The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, NPR, The Boston Globe, ProPublica, The Miami Herald, The Post and Courier; and Marvin Kalb, veteran reporter for CBS News, NBC News, and former moderator of "Meet the Press"
CONTACT INFO	Alison Kommer, alison_kommer at hks.harvard.edu <mailto:alison_kommer at hks.harvard.edu>
LINK	http://shorensteincenter.org/goldsmith-seminar-2015/ <http://shorensteincenter.org/goldsmith-seminar-2015/>

-------------------------------

The Policeman at the Elbow: The Neuroscience of Addiction, Self-Control, and Criminal Responsibility
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 4, 2015, 12 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Law School, Wasserstein Hall, 3019, 1585 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Petrie-Flom Center, Harvard Law School
SPEAKER(S)  Joshua Buckholtz, assistant professor, Harvard University Department of Psychology, Amanda Pustilnik, senior fellow in law and applied neuroscience, Petrie-Flom Center/Center for Law Brain and Behavior, Judge Nancy Gertner, senior lecturer on law, Harvard Law School
CONTACT INFO	petrie-flom at law.harvard.edu
DETAILS  Do criminal penalties have any deterrent effect on drug addicts – people who already are willing to throw away their jobs, relationships, or even lives for their "fix"? What does brain science tell us about addicts' capacities to exert self control and to be held criminally responsible? This panel discussion brings together a leading neuroscientist of addiction, a criminal law scholar, and a former judge to ask whether the law should reconsider aspects of responsibility and punishment in light of new science about self-control.
Part of the Project on Law and Applied Neuroscience.
LINK	http://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/events/details/law-applied-neuroscience2

-----------------------------

Iron Fist, Velvet Glove: China's Human Rights at Home and Abroad
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 4, 2015, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard,  CGIS South, S020, Japan Friends of Harvard Concourse, 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Humanities, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	The Harvard Asia Center and the Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies
SPEAKER(S)	John Kamm, founder and executive director, Dui Hua Foundation
LINK  http://asiaevents.harvard.edu/event/critical-issues-confronting-china-seminar-series-john-kamm-dui-hua <http://asiaevents.harvard.edu/event/critical-issues-confronting-china-seminar-series-john-kamm-dui-hua>

---------------------------

Hydromechanical Challenges (and opportunities) during Geologic Carbon Storage
Wednesday, March 4
4:00p–5:00p
MIT, Building 1-131, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Speaker: Dr. Joshua White
Carbon capture and storage remains an appealing option to help minimize global CO2 emissions. In the past decade, a number of new demonstration- and commercial-scale projects have come online. While these projects have been largely successful, they have faced their share of hurdles. This talk will present case studies highlighting a few of these challenges, with a focus on the geomechanical behavior of the storage reservoir and seals. Injecting fluid at relatively high pressure can create unwanted hazards, including the potential for hydraulic  fracturing, fault reactivation, and induced seismicity. I will provide a broad overview of our ongoing research program at LLNL to address these hazards. A central goal of this research is to create a tighter integration between monitoring tools, modeling and data analysis techniques, and adaptive field control. In the second half of the talk, I will turn to modeling challenges, and discuss the design of coupled reservoir/geomechanical simulators to take advantage of large high-performance computing resources. In particular, the talk will describe a class of implicit solution algorithms that scales efficiently to thousands of  processors and billions of unknowns.
Joshua White is a research scientist in the Computational Geosciences Group at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. He holds a B.S.E. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Princeton University, and a M.S. and Ph.D. in CEE from Stanford University

Mechanics and Infrastructure

Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Civil and Environmental Engineering
For more information, contact:  Rebecca Fowler
617 253-7101
ceed at mit.edu <mailto:ceed at mit.edu>

-----------------------------

Askwith Forum - Opening the Third Chapter: Finding Purpose and Passion
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 4, 2015, 5:30 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Longfellow Hall, 13 Appian Way, Cambridge
TYPE OF EVENT	Discussion, Diversity & Equity, Forum, Lecture, Question & Answer Session
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT  Alumni, AskWith Forum
BUILDING/ROOM  Askwith Hall
CONTACT NAME  Roger Falcon
CONTACT EMAIL  askwith_forums at gse.harvard.edu <mailto:askwith_forums at gse.harvard.edu>
CONTACT PHONE  617-384-9968
SPONSORING ORGANIZATION/DEPARTMENT	Harvard Graduate School of Education
REGISTRATION REQUIRED  No
ADMISSION FEE	This event is free and open to the public.
RSVP REQUIRED	No
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Education
DETAILS Featuring:
Anne Sweeney, Ed.M.'80, former Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks, and former President, Disney/ABC Television Group
Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, Ed.D.'72, Emily Hargroves Fisher Professor of Education, HGSE
Fresh off her tenure as president of the Disney-ABC Television Group and preparing to embark on a new career as a director, Anne Sweeney will talk with Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, author of The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk, and Adventure in the 25 Years After 50, about the challenges and rewards that come along with the search for purpose, passion, and new knowledge in the third chapter of life. The two will discuss how one can “…develop a compelling vision of later life… [and recognize] it as a time for change, growth, and new learning.”
HGSE is delighted to host Anne Sweeney as a Dean’s Distinguished Visiting Fellow from March 2 to March 6.

------------------------------

Urban Economic Development: An evening with Jay Ash, Massachusetts Secretary of Housing & Economic Development
Wednesday, March 4
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EST)
Northeastern University, 40 Leon Street, West Village F, Room 20, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-economic-development-an-evening-with-jay-ash-massachusetts-secretary-of-housing-economic-tickets-15931889711 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/urban-economic-development-an-evening-with-jay-ash-massachusetts-secretary-of-housing-economic-tickets-15931889711>

Share Urban Economic Development: An evening with Jay Ash, Massachusetts Secretary of Housing & Economic Development

Presented by Northeastern University's School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs, the spring 2015 Myra Kraft Open Classroom provides a spectacular view of the 21st century city exploring how cities in the U.S. and around the globe are transforming demographically, economically, socially, and politically.  On March 4, we are very excited to welcome Jay Ash, Governor Bakers first cabinet selection as Secretary of Housing and Economic Development for the Commonwealth. Moderated by renowned Professor of Political Economy, Barry Bluestone, PhD, audience members will have an opportunity to discuss with Mr. Ash the opportunities and challenges facing the modern city in the 21st century.

----------------------------------

MassChallenge Sampler – Fundraising: Avoid the Pitfalls
March 4
6pm - 8:05pm
MassChallenge HQ, 21 Drydock Avenue,  Boston
RSVP at http://attend.com/FundingSampler <http://attend.com/FundingSampler>

Developing a funding strategy can be the most harrowing part of building any startup.
Bootstrapping? Private Equity? Crowdfunding? Angel Investment? It’s all a maze!
Fortunately, we’ve assembled a crack team of MassChallenge alumni and funding experts to tell their stories of founding successes and share actionable advice on how, where, and when to pursue different funding sources.

MassChallenge
Phone: 1.888.782.7820
Email:  events at masschallenge.org <mailto:events at masschallenge.org>
Website: http://masschallenge.org/ <http://masschallenge.org/>

------------------------------

Data and Goliath:  The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
Wednesday, March 4
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Bruce Schneier
Harvard Book Store welcomes security tech expert and bestselling author BRUCE SHNEIER for a discussion of his latest book, Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World.
You are under surveillance right now.

Your cell phone provider tracks your location and knows who’s with you. Your online and in-store purchasing patterns are recorded, and reveal if you're unemployed, sick, or pregnant. Your e-mails and texts expose your intimate and casual friends. Google knows what you’re thinking because it saves your private searches. Facebook can determine your sexual orientation without you ever mentioning it.
The powers that surveil us do more than simply store this information. Corporations use surveillance to manipulate not only the news articles and advertisements we each see, but also the prices we’re offered. Governments use surveillance to discriminate, censor, chill free speech, and put people in danger worldwide. And both sides share this information with each other or, even worse, lose it to cybercriminals in huge data breaches.

Much of this is voluntary: we cooperate with corporate surveillance because it promises us convenience, and we submit to government surveillance because it promises us protection. The result is a mass surveillance society of our own making. But have we given up more than we’ve gained? In Data and Goliath, Bruce Schneier offers another path, one that values both security and privacy. He shows us exactly what we can do to reform our government surveillance programs and shake up surveillance-based business models, while also providing tips for you to protect your privacy every day. You'll never look at your phone, your computer, your credit cards, or even your car in the same way again.

----------------------------------

21st Century Warfare: Pentagon Strategy and Activist Response
Wednesday, March 4
7:00 pm
Cambridge Friends Meeting, 5 Longfellow Park (off Brattle Street), Cambridge

Judy Bello, NY State Coalition to Ground the Drones
The Pentagon has a new strategy for 21st century warfare: overwhelm the enemy with high tech, "intelligent" forces.  Full Spectrum Dominance will utilize drones, space weapons and cyber attacks.  Covert operations are favored, invading with large armies is a thing of the past.  The antiwar movement needs a new response, activists opposing killer-drones have led the way.

Subrata Ghoshroy will speak on "High Tech Wars in the 21st Century." Subrata is research affiliate at MIT, and was a defense analyst and whistleblower at the US Government Accountability Office (GAO), and also worked as a staff member for the House Armed Services Committee.

Judy Bello will address, "Expanding Drone Wars, In and Out of the Media Spotlight.  She is active with the NY Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars, has been jailed for resistance at Hancock Air National Guard Base in New York and visited Pakistan with Code Pink where she interviewed victims of Drone Strikes.

Discussion will follow on peace/antiwar movement response.

Sponsored by United for Justice with Peace
For more information, call 617 383 4857 or write info at justicewithpeace.org <mailto:info at justicewithpeace.org>
info at justicewithpeace.org <mailto:info at justicewithpeace.org>
http://justicewithpeace.org

-------------------------

3D Printing: Making the Future
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 4, 2015, 7 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard University, Science Center Hall C, One Oxford Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Division of Science
SPEAKER(S)  Jennifer A. Lewis, Hansjörg Wyss Professor of Biologically Inspired Engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
DETAILS  3D printing enables one to rapidly design and fabricate materials in arbitrary shapes on demand. I will introduce the fundamental principles that underpin 3D printing techniques. I will then describe how new functional and biological materials are vastly expanding the capabilities of 3D printing. Finally, I will highlight several emerging examples, including 3D printed electronics, lightweight composites, and vascularized tissue constructs, that demonstrate how this (still) nascent technology is being used to make the future.
LINK	https://www.physics.harvard.edu/events/science_lectures <https://www.physics.harvard.edu/events/science_lectures>

---------------------------

Renew Boston Multi-Family Energy Efficiency Workshop
Wednesday, March 4
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EST)
Boston Public Library, 700 Boylston Street, Commonwealth Salon, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/renew-boston-multi-family-workshop-tickets-15444857986 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/renew-boston-multi-family-workshop-tickets-15444857986>

The Mass Save Program and Renew Boston are co-hosting a community workshop tailored to help multi-family landlords, condominium associations, and tenants with energy efficiency measures that can help save money on energy bills. These programs provide no-cost equipment such as high-efficiency light bulbs, power strips, as well as advice on how to to continue saving on energy bills. For more information please contact MassSave/Renew Boston Multi-Family Program at 1-800-594-7277.

-----------------------------

Film Screening: The Man Who Saved the World
Wednesday, March 4
Time: 7pm – 9pm
MIT, Building 4-163, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Radius and MIT Global Zero are proud to announce a film screening of a riveting documentary, The Man Who Saved the World, released in 2014 by Danish director, Peter Anthony. The film tells the incredible story of Stanislav Petrov, a former lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defense Forces. Robert De Niro, Matt Damon, Ashton Kutcher and Walter Cronkite also appear in the film.

Premiered in October 2014 at the Woodstock Film Festival in Woodstock, New York, the film won "Honorable Mention: Audience Award Winner for Best Narrative Feature" and "Honorable Mention: James Lyons Award for Best Editing of a Narrative Feature." Using both re-enactments and actual footage, the film documents a harrowing moment for humanity. In 1983, an alarm sounded at a Soviet nuclear center. Lt. Petrov was responsible for responding to an alleged American nuclear missile attack towards the Soviet Union. Petrov, sensing that the alarm was in error, went against all military protocol and decided that it was a false detection. His decision saved the world from a nuclear catastrophe.

Following the film, we will host a 30 minute panel discussion for questions and comments. Guest panelists will be announced shortly. Refreshments will be served.

Web site: radius.mit.edu <http://radius.mit.edu/>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): The Technology and Culture Forum at MIT, MIT Global Zero
For more information, contact:  Patricia-Maria Weinmann
617-253-0108
weinmann at mit.edu <mailto:weinmann at mit.edu>

-------------------------
Thursday, March 5
------------------------

BuildingEnergy 15
Thursday, March 5
Seaport World Trade Center, Boston
RSVP for extensive Trade Show free with discount code:
EXPOATBE15
at http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15 <http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15>

Editorial Comment:  Your editor will be part of a panel on urban agriculture.

-------------------------------

Taking Action Together to End Homelessness: Join the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless at the State House
Thursday, March 5
9am - 3pm
Great Hall, Massachusetts State House, Boston

Please join the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless for our annual Legislative Action Day.

The Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless has been working for over thirty years as a key voice in the public policy and social services arenas for families, youth, and adults in Massachusetts who are at-risk or experiencing homelessness. Each year, the Coalition holds a Legislative Action Day at the State House to engage our members and allies in educating state legislators about the needs of the Commonwealth's residents who are experiencing housing crises and poverty.

This year, we are mobilizing our members and supporters to advocate on a number of priorities, including efforts to fund housing and support services for unaccompanied youth who are experiencing homelessness; expand funding for the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), the Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP), and the Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) homelessness prevention program; and ensure that families with children no longer have to first stay in places
not meant for human habitation before qualifying for Emergency Assistance shelter. We also are working to move forward several bills that would improve quality of life for people living in poverty and those experiencing homelessness, including legislation to create a Homeless Bill of Rights and to improve benefits under the state?s Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled, and Children program (EAEDC).

As part of Legislative Action Day, the Coalition will host a series of speakers who will share their call to action and personal testimonies on the importance of increasing access to housing, shelter, homelessness prevention resources, and support services. Legislative speakers will include Representative James O?Day (West Boylston), the event sponsor and lead sponsor of House Docket 2741, An Act Relative to Assisting Elders and People with Disabilities in the Commonwealth; State Senator Harriette
Chandler (Worcester), Senate Majority Leader and member of the Special Commission on Unaccompanied Homeless Youth; Senator Linda Dorcena Forry (Boston), Senate Chair of the Joint Committee on Housing; Senator Jamie Eldridge (Acton), Senate Chair of the Joint Committee on Financial Services and previous Chair of the Joint Committee on Housing

State Representative William Smitty Pignatelli (Lenox), lead sponsor of An Act Providing a Homeless Bill of Rights; and State Representative Denise Provost (Somerville), lead sponsor of An Act to End Child Homelessness. Twelve and thirteen-year old youth from Temple Israel in Boston who were key team players in the campaign to pass the unaccompanied youth homelessness bill will inspire the crowd to take creative actions to end homelessness.

Most importantly, there will be time in the afternoon to meet with State Representatives, Senators, and their staff to advocate for improved access to affordable housing, services, and programs for youth, families, and individual adults who are at-risk or experiencing homelessness in Massachusetts.

We hope you will be able to raise your voice and join us for this exciting day!

For more information and to register for this free event, please go to
http://www.mahomeless.org/mch-events/2013-02-12-00-05-38 <http://www.mahomeless.org/mch-events/2013-02-12-00-05-38> or contact Kelly
at kelly at mahomeless.org <mailto:kelly at mahomeless.org> or 781-595-7570 x17

--------------------------------

Social Sustainability Goals in the food and grocery industry
Thursday, March
11:45am - 2pm
MIT, Building E62-250, 100 Main Street,  Cambridge
RSVP: http://goo.gl/pizkef <http://goo.gl/pizkef>

Karin Bogaers, Ahold USA

The discussion will explore the social issues relevant to retail companies, including hunger and malnutrition, disadvantaged communities, associate engagement, and unsafe working conditions and forced or child labor in global supply chains, as well as the importance of collaboration and stakeholder engagement, and the role of sustainability professionals in positively impacting those social issues. The presentation will be interactive and informative.

------------------------

The African Elephant Poaching Crisis
Thursday, March 5
12:00-1:00pm
Tufts, Lincoln Filene Center, Rabb Room, 10 Upper Campus Road, Medford

Nicole St. Clair Knobloch, Writer
Ms. St. Clair Knobloch will discuss the poaching crisis facing African elephants – the direct causes and the indirect circumstances that worsen it -- and the potential solutions. She has been particularly focused on the fate of the now critically endangered African forest elephant, on U.S. foreign policy goals in the region the forest elephants inhabit, and on how those goals are disrupted by the ivory trade.

Nicole St. Clair Knobloch worked on climate policy, communications, and strategy for Ceres, Natural Resources Defense Council, Environmental Defense Fund, and the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions at Duke University. She is now writing full-time, pursuing interests in looking at how change is made and at how environmental challenges affect global stability. She also currently works as a speechwriter for Shirley Ann Jackson, president, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

-----------------------------

The Paradox of Forever War and the Concept of the Enemy in International Law
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 12:15 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Belfer Center Library, Littauer-369, 79 JFK Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Law, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	International Security Program
SPEAKER(S)  Emile Simpson, Ernest May Fellow in History & Policy, International Security Program
CONTACT INFO	susan_lynch at harvard.edu <mailto:susan_lynch at harvard.edu>
LINK  http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/events/6581/paradox_of_forever_war_and_the_concept_of_the_enemy_in_international_law.html

-----------------------------

Japan’s Aging Society and the Role of Higher Education
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 12:30 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Belfer Case Study Room (S020), Japan Friends of Harvard Concourse, CGIS South Building, 1730 Cambridge Street
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Program on U.S.-Japan Relations
SPEAKER(S)  Atsushi Seike, president, Keio University, Susan Pharr, Edwin O. Reischauer Professor of Japanese Politics and Director, Program on U.S.-Japan Relations, Harvard University
COST  Free and open to the public
LINK	http://programs.wcfia.harvard.edu/us-japan/calendar/upcoming

---------------------------

Labyrinth of Things: Lecture by Diana Taylor
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 4:15 p.m.
WHERE  Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Knafel Center, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Dance, Lecture, Theater
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
SPEAKER(S)  Diana Taylor, University Professor, Performance Studies and Spanish, and Founding Director, Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, New York University
Introduction by Martin Puchner, Byron and Anita Wien Professor of Drama and of English and Comparative Literature and Chair of the Committee on Dramatics, Harvard University
COST  Free
CONTACT INFO	events at radcliffe.harvard.edu
DETAILS  Diana Taylor, a scholar of Latin American and U.S. theater and performance, will speak about the power of a specific play, Bom Retiro 958 metros, which leads us on a walk through São Paulo’s phantasmagoric world of things. The piece conveys broad societal meanings about the accumulation and transformation of things.
LINK	http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-diana-taylor-lecture

----------------------------

An Operations Lens on the Effectiveness of Extended Producer Responsibility Legislation
Thursday, March 5
4:15p–5:15p
MIT, Building E51-395, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Beril Toktay

ORC Spring Seminar Series
The OR Center organizes a seminar series each year in which prominent OR professionals from around the world are invited to present topics in operations research. We have been privileged to have speakers from business and industry as well as from academia throughout the years. For a list of past distinguished speakers and their seminar topics, please visit our Seminar Archives.

Seminar reception immediately following the talk.

Web site: http://web.mit.edu/orc/www/seminars/seminars.html
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Operations Research Center
For more information, contact:  Peng Shi, Nataly Youssef, or Jerry Kung
253-6185
pengshi at mit.edu, youssefn at mit.edu, jkung at mit.edu

----------------------------

'Race for the Double Helix', Film Screening and Discussion
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 4:30 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 24 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Film, Science, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	CCW: Committee on the Concerns of Women at Harvard
DIRECTED BY  Mick Jackson
COST  Free
TICKET WEB LINK  http://ccw.hhr.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do <http://ccw.hhr.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do>
TICKET INFO  Registration required
CONTACT INFO	CCW Steering Committee: ccw at harvard.edu <mailto:ccw at harvard.edu>
DETAILS  In celebration of Women’s History Month in March, please join us as we explore the compelling and multi-layered story of Rosalind Franklin’s role in the discovery of the structure of DNA. Issues of leadership, integrity, and gender are integral to this story. The success and celebration of women in history is often marginalized by who gets to tell the story.
LINK	http://ccw.hhr.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do <http://ccw.hhr.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do>

-----------------------------

"Media and Memory at the Videotheque de Paris"
Thursday, March 5
Time: 5:00p–7:00p
MIT, Building 4-231, 182 Memorial Drive (Rear), Cambridge

Catherine E. Clark
The Videotheque de Paris, a moving image archive of the French capital, opened in 1988, during a period when French technological advances led the world in revolutionizing the circulation of people and information. The Videotheque would be no mere dusty archive but rather a high-tech institution of robots, computers, VCRs, and Minitels. Its organizers deployed the latest technologies to place a century of fiction films, documentaries, television programs, and advertising with Paris as their subject or setting at visitors' disposal. Organizers promised that within a year or two the whole archive would be available in Parisian living rooms, as its collections became the basis of a Parisian on-demand cable channel.

Contemporaries imagined that these technologies would transform users' relationship to the past, to turn institutionalized history into memory, a flexible, customizable, and ultimately personal, experience of the past. The dream of an archive that replaced all others by providing constant access to cultural and social memory through technology did not last more than a decade. But the utopian rhetoric that accompanied the Videotheque's creation illuminates and calls into question the utopian promises of the more recent revolution in digital history.

MIT assistant professor Catherine E. Clark is a cultural historian who specializes in 19th- and 20th-century France and visual culture.

Web site: http://cmsw.mit.edu/event/catherine-clark-media-memory-videotheque-de-paris/ <http://cmsw.mit.edu/event/catherine-clark-media-memory-videotheque-de-paris/>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Comparative Media Studies/Writing
For more information, contact:  Andrew Whitacre
617-324-0490
cmsw at mit.edu <mailto:cmsw at mit.edu>

--------------------------------

MIT Water Night
Thursday, March 5
5:00 - 8:00 PM
MIT Building W20, Stratton Student Center

-------------------------------

EnergyBar!
Thursday, March 5
5:30pm-8:30pm
Greentown Labs, 28 Dane Street, Somerville
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/energybar-tickets-15734093096 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/energybar-tickets-15734093096>

EnergyBar is a monthly event devoted to helping people in clean technology meet and discuss innovations in energy technology. Entrepreneurs, investors, students, and ‘friends of cleantech,’ are invited to attend, meet colleagues, and expand our growing regional clean technology community.

Our attendees typically span a variety of disciplines within energy, efficiency, and renewables. If you're looking for a job in cleantech or energy, trying to expand your network, or perhaps thinking about starting your own energy-related company this is the event for you. Expect to have conversations about issues facing advanced and renewable energy technologies and ways to solve our most pressing energy problems.

Light appetizers and drinks will be served starting at 5:30 pm. Suggested dress is shop floor casual.

Grab your tickets now, seats are filling up!

---------------------------------

Evolution Matters Lecture Series: The Revolution in Plant Evolution
Thursday, March 5
6:00pm
Harvard, Geological Lecture Hall, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge

Pamela Soltis, Distinguished Professor and Curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida

Today’s digital technologies enable museums to “unlock” their cabinets and share their treasures online. Pamela Soltis will discuss the way in which access to digital data and images of natural history collections is becoming a game changer in the understanding of plant evolution. From enabling novel research on plant genetics, to highlighting the roles plants play in nature and how they respond to climate change, museum collections are a key resource, particularly when studying plants that are rare, hard to collect, endangered, or extinct.

The Evolution Matters Lecture Series is supported by a generous gift from Drs. Herman and Joan Suit.

--------------------------------

Things We Don't Talk About - Schlesinger Movie Night
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 6 p.m.
WHERE  Radcliffe College Room, Schlesinger Library, 10 Garden Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Film
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Schlesinger Library
DIRECTED BY  Isadora Leidenfrost
COST  Free and open to the public
DETAILS  The Things We Don’t Talk About: Healing Stories of the Red Tent chronicles the growing Red Tent Temple Movement. Inspired by Anita Diamant’s historical novel The Red Tent, women in various stages of life gather together to share stories about their lives, their bodies, and what it means to be female. Since the grassroots movement began in 2007, thousands of Red Tent spaces and gatherings have been organized around the world. 72 min.
LINK	http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-things-we-dont-talk-about <http://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2015-things-we-dont-talk-about>

-------------------------------

The Social and Not-Social Entrepreneur’s 2-Hour College of Hard Knocks
Thursday, March 5
6:00 PM to 7:30 PM (EST)
Harvard innovation lab, 125 Western Avenue, i-lab Classroom (Room 122), Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-social-and-not-social-entrepreneurs-2-hour-college-of-hard-knocks-tickets-15731120204

How do you start something big from nothing? How do you come up with an idea? How do you capitalize it? What are the nasty interpersonal and relationship mine fields they don’t teach you about in business school?

In this session, social entrepreneur (he didn’t know he was one at the time, because the phrase hadn’t been coined yet) Dan Pallotta will tell you how he went from being a freshman at Harvard trying to raise money for Oxfam to the creator of the largest for-profit charitable fundraising experience in history. Dan created the AIDSRides and Breast Cancer 3-days, which raised over half a billion dollars in nine years and were the subject of a Harvard Business School case study. His company had 400 full-time employees in 16 U.S. offices. He is now leading an effort to transform the way the donating public thinks about social change.

In this session you will learn:
How to think about the difference between social business and not-social-business;
How to think innovatively about capitalization;
The value of authenticity in marketing;
The value of bending your career path to the times;
How to turn adversity into contribution.

----------------------------------

(Un)Familiar Deaths: Politics of Death and Dying in the Contemporary World
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 5, 2015, 6 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Memorial Church, Harvard Yard
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Ethics, Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Science, Religion, and Culture Program at Harvard Divinity School
SPEAKER(S)  Professor James Cone
Professor Mark Jordan
COST  Free and open to the public
TICKET WEB LINK  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/unfamiliar-deaths-politics-of-death-and-dying-in-the-contemporary-world-tickets-15639132065
CONTACT INFO	617.496.9221 / srcp at hds.harvard.edu
DETAILS  Science, Religion, and Culture at Harvard Divinity School is excited to present (Un)familiar Deaths, a two-part lecture with James Cone and Mark Jordan. Together, Cone and Jordan will chart the unsettling and central ways in which race, sexuality, death, and politics coincide in modern America. Cone, one of the founders of black liberation theology, has revolutionized how we think of religion and race, and continues to shed new light on the problems and possibilities of religion and social justice. Jordan writes on the boundary of sexuality and religion: his work on sexual ethics, marriage, and homosexuality has pioneered new ways of talking about religion and faith. In the wake of Ferguson and nation-wide police brutality, and as the Supreme Court prepares to weigh in on same-sex marriage, it's clear that race and sexuality are topics that demand attention, that intersect repeatedly with religion, and that remind us of the often fatal nature of American politics.
LINK	http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/srcp/event/march-5-unfamiliar-deaths-politics-death-and-dying-contemporary-world

----------------------------

Designing Boston: Olympics 2024
Thursday, March 5
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
BSA Space, 290 Congress Street, Boston
Register at rsvp at architects.org

This event was rescheduled from its originally scheduled date of February 9.

Join us for our next Designing Boston conversation, this time on the U.S. Olympic Committee’s decision to back Boston as the host for the 2024 Olympics.

As former Boston city councilor Mike Ross said during a recent interview with WBUR’s Radio Boston, “[The Big Dig] changed the shape and face of Boston and... the Olympics will do the same thing.”

Focusing on the role that architecture has (or has not) played in making previous Olympics successful, Ross will moderate this panel discussion and dive into lessons learned by architects and planners with past Olympic experience in such cities as Barcelona, Beijing, Sydney, and London. This event launches a series of conversations and debates related to potential roles, responsibilities, and opportunities available to architects, planners, and developers as this huge and exciting undertaking unfolds.

Moderator:  Michael P. Ross, attorney, Prince Lobel Tye
Panelists will include:  Dennis Pieprz Assoc. AIA, Principal, Sasaki Associates;  Gavin McMillan, Senior Principal, Hargreaves Associates;  Kyu Sung Woo FAIA, Kyu Sung Woo Architects

---------------------------

From Private Play to Public Entertainment: Live-streaming and the Growth of Online Broadcast
Thursday, March 5
6:00p–8:00p
MIT, Building 32-155, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Speaker: TL Taylor
Game live-streaming has been in headlines frequently over the past year. Between the massive price tag Amazon paid for Twitch and the sheer numbers of people tuning in around the world, it???s time to take a closer look at this emerging technology.

Please join us on March 5th from 6pm-8pm in 32-155 for a panel discussion on all things live-streaming. From esteemed streaming personalities to industry innovators, the panel will address the current state of this new form of entertainment media. Moderated by Associate Professor, T.L. Taylor, this event is the perfect primer to a new and captivating field.

This event is free and open to the public.

The event will also be livestreamed at http://twitch.tv/mitgamelab <http://twitch.tv/mitgamelab>

Web site: http://gamelab.mit.edu/event/from-private-play-to-public-entertainment-live-streaming-and-the-growth-of-online-broadcast/ <http://gamelab.mit.edu/event/from-private-play-to-public-entertainment-live-streaming-and-the-growth-of-online-broadcast/>
Open to: the general public
Cost: free
Sponsor(s): Comparative Media Studies/Writing, MIT Game Lab, Creative Communities Initiative
For more information, contact:  Andrew Whitacre
617-324-0490
cmsw at mit.edu <mailto:cmsw at mit.edu>

----------------------------

Sustainability Collaborative
Thursday, March 5
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Venture Cafe, Cambridge Innovation Center, 1 Broadway, 5th floor,  Cambridge

The Venture Café Foundation has partnered with EcoMotion to bring the Sustainability Collaborative to monthly Venture Café gatherings. Stay tuned for more information about this month’s Sustainability Collaborative.

Questions? Contact Sierra at sflanigan at ecomotion.us <mailto:sflanigan at ecomotion.us>

----------------------------

Olympics Meeting
Thursday, March 5
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Franklin Park Golf Clubhouse, One Circuit Drive, Dorchester

Hear a presentation by the 2024 Olympics group and ask questions about their plans for Franklin Park. Afterwards Franklin Park users will have an opportunity to discuss the proposal among themselves. Please come learn more and weigh in!

Franklin Park Coalition
Phone:  617-442-4141
Email:  mail at franklinparkcoalition.org <mailto:mail at franklinparkcoalition.org>
Website:  www.franklinparkcoalition.org <http://www.franklinparkcoalition.org/>

-------------------------------

Our Lives Matter: Art as Protest at SCATV
Thursday, March 5
7-8pm
Somerville Community Access Television, 90 Union Square, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/803311989722962/ <https://www.facebook.com/events/803311989722962/>

Please join your neighbors at this free, public panel discussion. We will discuss how local artists, poets and performers use creative expression to respond to current events and social injustices. The panelists will highlight their own work and how this was used to raise awareness about a particular issue in society. Those who attend may leave feeling inspired to pursue their own creative form.

Our Local Panelists: Poet Afaa Weaver, Artist & Performer De Ama Battle, Books of Hope Youth Staff Leader Jordan Young, and moderation by artist & comedian, Janet Cormier.

Please RSVP as there is a limited number of seats. We hope to see you at this event.

Somerville Community Access TV
scatvsomerville.org <http://scatvsomerville.org/>

--------------------------

Future Crimes:  Everything Is Connected, Everyone Is Vulnerable and What We Can Do About It
Thursday, March 5
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Marc Goodman
Harvard Book Store welcomes leading authority on global security MARC GOODMAN for a discussion of his book Future Crimes: Everything Is Connected, Everyone Is Vulnerable and What We Can Do About It.

Technological advances have benefited our world in immeasurable ways, but there is an ominous flip side: our technology can be turned against us. Hackers can activate baby monitors to spy on families, thieves are analyzing social media posts to plot home invasions, and stalkers are exploiting the GPS on smart phones to track their victims’ every move. We all know today’s criminals can steal identities, drain online bank accounts, and wipe out computer servers, but that’s just the beginning. To date, no computer has been created that could not be hacked—a sobering fact given our radical dependence on these machines for everything from our nation’s power grid to air traffic control to financial services.

Yet, as ubiquitous as technology seems today, just over the horizon is a tidal wave of scientific progress that will leave our heads spinning. If today’s Internet is the size of a golf ball, tomorrow’s will be the size of the sun. Welcome to the Internet of Things, a living, breathing, global information grid where every physical object will be online. But with greater connections come greater risks. Implantable medical devices such as pacemakers can be hacked to deliver a lethal jolt of electricity and a car’s brakes can be disabled at high speed from miles away. Meanwhile, 3-D printers can produce AK-47s, bioterrorists can download the recipe for Spanish flu, and cartels are using fleets of drones to ferry drugs across borders.

With explosive insights based upon a career in law enforcement and counterterrorism, Marc Goodman takes readers on a vivid journey through the darkest recesses of the Internet. Reading like science fiction, but based in science fact, Future Crimes explores how bad actors are primed to hijack the technologies of tomorrow, including robotics, synthetic biology, nanotechnology, virtual reality, and artificial intelligence. These fields hold the power to create a world of unprecedented abundance and prosperity. But the technological bedrock upon which we are building our common future is deeply unstable and, like a house of cards, can come crashing down at any moment.

Future Crimes provides a mind-blowing glimpse into the dark side of technological innovation and the unintended consequences of our connected world. Goodman offers a way out with clear steps we must take to survive the progress unfolding before us. Provocative, thrilling, and ultimately empowering, Future Crimes will serve as an urgent call to action that shows how we can take back control over our own devices and harness technology’s tremendous power for the betterment of humanity—before it’s too late.

---------------------
Friday, March 6
--------------------

18th Annual International Women's Day Breakfast:  Making Women's Rights Real
Friday, March 6
7:30 AM -  9:30 AM
Simmons College, Linda K. Paresky Conference Center, 300 Fenway, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-international-womens-day-breakfast-registration-15716030069
Cost:  $9 suggested donation

The United Nations adopted the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) 36 years ago. Called the International Bill of Rights for Women, CEDAW has been ratified by 186 nations across the world, not including the United States. Join us for an engaging and informative discussion about this international convention which outlines standards for equal rights for women. At Making Women's Rights Real, you will learn about new initiatives and recent developments locally and globally, including earned sick time, paid family leave, and a Bill of Rights for domestic workers.

Speakers include:
Sheila Dallas Katzman, Chair, UN-CSW Cities for CEDAW/New York City
Lydia Edwards, Attorney and Equal Justice Works Fellow, Greater Boston Legal Services
Anjali Sakaria, Legislative Director and Legal Counsel, Office of Senate Chair, MA Committee on Labor and Workforce Development

------------------------------

Thomas Piketty "Capital in the Twenty-First Century"
WHEN  Fri., Mar. 6, 2015, 2 – 4 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Law School, Ames Courthouse, Austin Hall, 1515 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Business, Law, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Center for European Studies
Seminar on Social Exclusion and Inclusion; Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the United States; Program on the Study of Capitalism; The Charles Warren Center for Studies in American History; Institute for Global Law & Policy
SPEAKER(S)  Thomas Piketty, professor of economics, EHESS and at the Paris School of Economics
Christine Desan, Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
David Kennedy, Manley O. Hudson Professor of Law, Harvard Law School
Stephen Marglin, Walter S Barker Chair in the Department of Economics, Harvard University
Sven Beckert, Laird Bell Professor of American History, Harvard University
LINK	ces.fas.harvard.edu/#/events/3104 <http://ces.fas.harvard.edu/#/events/3104>

---------------------------

"The Mystery of the Missing Watt: Electricity in the Making of Modern Tokyo"
Friday, March 6
2:30p–4:30p
MIT, Building E51-095, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Ian Miller, Professor of HIstory, Harvard University

Seminar on Environmental and Agricultural History

Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): History Office
For more information, contact:  Margo Collett
253-4965
history-info at mit.edu <mailto:history-info at mit.edu>

-----------------------------

Energy Revolution:  The Physics and the Promise of Efficient Technology
Friday, March 6
3:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Mara Prentiss
Harvard Book Store welcomes MARA PRENTISS, Mallinckrodt Professor of Physics at Harvard University, for a discussion of her book Energy Revolution: The Physics and the Promise of Efficient Technology.

Energy can be neither created nor destroyed—but it can be wasted. The United States wastes two-thirds of its energy, including 80 percent of the energy used in transportation. So the nation has a tremendous opportunity to develop a sensible energy policy based on benefits and costs. But to do that we need facts—not hyperbole, not wishful thinking. Mara Prentiss presents and interprets political and technical information from government reports and press releases, as well as fundamental scientific laws, to advance a bold claim: wind and solar power could generate 100 percent of the United States’ average total energy demand for the foreseeable future, even without waste reduction.
To meet the actual rather than the average demand, significant technological and political hurdles must be overcome. Still, a U.S. energy economy based entirely on wind, solar, hydroelectricity, and biofuels is within reach. The transition to renewables will benefit from new technologies that decrease energy consumption without lifestyle sacrifices, including energy optimization from interconnected smart devices and waste reduction from use of LED lights, regenerative brakes, and electric cars. Many countries cannot obtain sufficient renewable energy within their borders, Prentiss notes, but U.S. conversion to a 100 percent renewable energy economy would, by itself, significantly reduce the global impact of fossil fuel consumption.

Enhanced by full-color visualizations of key concepts and data, Energy Revolution answers one of the century’s most crucial questions: How can we get smarter about producing and distributing, using and conserving, energy?

-----------------------------

Harvard Design Magazine Launch of 'Wet Matter'
WHEN  Fri., Mar. 6, 2015, 5 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Loeb Design Library, 48 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Art/Design, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Harvard Graduate School of Design
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	events at gsd.harvard.edu <mailto:events at gsd.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  Please join us in launching Harvard Design Magazine's 39th issue, "Wet Matter," with Editor-in-Chief Jennifer Sigler, guest Editor Pierre Bélanger, and Associate Editor Leah Whitman-Salkin.
LINK	www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/events/harvard-design-magazine-launch-of-wet-matter.html

------------------------
Saturday, March 7
-----------------------

Maple Syrup Festival
Saturday, March 7
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM (EST)
Community Growing Center, 22 Vinal Avenue, Somerville
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/maple-syrup-festival-tickets-15638562361

Stop by this event hosted by Groundwork Somerville to watch and learn as sap from local sugar maple trees is boiled down into pure maple syrup over a warm fire. Attendees can expect to enjoy syrup-tasting, music, activities, and much more!
Don't be confused! This event is being held at 22 Vinal AVENUE, not STREET in Somerville.

-----------------------------

"Changing the Way we Eat"
Saturday, March 7
10.30 am -6 pm
TEDx Manhattan viewing party, Aeronaut Brewery, 14 Tyler Street, Somerville

Changing the Way We Eat is a one day annual event focused on sustainable food and farming.  The event features 17 amazing speakers talking about their passion in food and farming. Speakers include Danny Meyer, Danielle Nierenberg, Dana Cowin, and many more!

Sample topics:
The necessity of women farmers in the food movement
How US law favors large agribusiness companies and not small farmers
Teaching students about health through hip hop
Beyond food hubs – local food and local food economies
Why organic really isn’t more expensive
What we really need to end hunger

[For more info on the lineup and videos from previous years, visit TEDx Manhattan's website at: http://www.tedxmanhattan.org/event/ <http://www.tedxmanhattan.org/event/>]

So stop by, watch a few talks, chat with like-minded people, try some Aeronaut brews, and enjoy some free Chipotle to boot! Please RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/branchfood/events/220754380/

Contact http://www.branchfood.com

-------------------------------

Oxfam America Hunger Banquet®
Saturday, March 7
4:30 PM to 6:30 PM (EST)
Knafel Center, Radcliffe Institute at Harvard University, 18 Mason Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/oxfam-america-hunger-banquet-tickets-15191552342

In a world as rich as ours, why are so many of us still going hungry? And what can we in Boston do to help?

To find out, join Oxfam and special guests for an Oxfam America Hunger Banquet. This event will feature celebrity guest speakers, an interactive dinner experience, and much more.

Celebrity chef and longtime supporter Aarti Sequeira, of the Food Network, will appear at the Hunger Banquet on behalf of Oxfam America.

Registration and Photo Gallery 4:30-5:00pm
Main Event 5:00-6:30pm
Space at the event is limited. If you wish to bring more than three guests, please email us at OxfamAmericaEvents at OxfamAmerica.org.

-----------------------
Sunday, March 8
----------------------

The Health of Democracy: Privatizing Education
WHEN  Sun., Mar. 8, 2015, 3 – 4:30 p.m.
WHERE  3 Church Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Education, Humanities, Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Cambridge Forum
SPEAKER(S)  Julian Vasquez Heilig, education policy, California State University, Sacramento
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	617.495.2727
director at cambridgeforum.org
DETAILS  Julian Vasquez Heilig, internationally recognized leader in education policy, examines the variety of ways in which public education is being privatized in the name of "reform" and suggests ways for citizens to respond that both improve educational experience and strengthen the societal and civic role that education plays.
LINK	www.cambridgeforum.org

----------------------
Monday, March 9
----------------------

MIT Innovation Initiative: From Vision to Action
Monday, March 9
11:00 AM to 1:00 PM (EDT)
MIT Media Lab, 6th Floor, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-innovation-initiative-from-vision-to-action-tickets-15921048284 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-innovation-initiative-from-vision-to-action-tickets-15921048284>

The MIT Innovation Initiative is an Institute-wide, multi-year agenda to transform the Institute’s innovation ecosystem — internally, around the globe and with its partners — for accelerated impact well into the 21st century.
The initiative builds upon MIT’s foundation of fundamental research excellence and supports the aspirations for impact through innovation of all members of the MIT community. It supports MIT’s focus on solving a range of critical challenges in energy, the health of the planet, human health and beyond.
A preliminary report was released to the MIT community in December 2014 (available for download at innovation.mit.edu <http://innovation.mit.edu/>).
Now, the initiative hopes to engage with students and program staff from across campus to present a few high priority elements under development and engage in their advancement. Join us at this event to become part of the discussion!

Lunch provided

-------------------------------

"EPA’s Clean Power Plan: What Should States be sure not to Do?"
Monday, March 9
12PM - 1:30PM
Harvard, Bell Hall, 5th Floor, Belfer Building, 79 JFK Street, Cambridge

with Paul Sotkiewicz, Chief Economist, Markets, PJM Interconnection

Louisa_Lund at hks.harvard.edu <mailto:Louisa_Lund at hks.harvard.edu>

---------------------------

"'Science and World Order': Uses of Science in Plans for International Government, 1899-1950"
Monday, March 9
12:15PM - 2:00PM
Harvard, Room 100F, Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford Street, Cambridge

Geert Somsen, Columbia/Maastricht, History

sts at hks.harvard.edu
More at: http://environment.harvard.edu/events/2015-03-09-161500-2015-03-09-180000/sts-circle-harvard#sthash.bij5DvcM.dpuf

-------------------------------

From Sand Castles To Urban Modeling: A Physicist's Naive Thoughts on Construction and Cities
Monday, March 9
5:00p–6:00p
MIT, Building 1-190, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Speaker: Professor Henri Van Damme
Due to population growth and rapid urbanization, the global need for dwellings and infrastructures has never been as high as today.

This situation is forcing us to rethink the way we build and the way we organize cities. It makes it compelling to reinvent the way we choose and manufacture our construction materials in order to make them more benign, durable, stronger, and less energy intensive.

Henri Van Damme has devoted most of his career to the physical chemistry and statistical physics of geomaterials like glass, clays, or cement, with applications in the field of construction, catalysis, energy, smart materials, or biology. He is also interested in architecture, conservation, urban sciences and counter-intuitive teaching methods.

Pre-lecture Reception: 4:30pm

CEE Department Calendar
Distinguished Speaker Series

Web site: http://cee.mit.edu/events/370 <http://cee.mit.edu/events/370>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Civil and Environmental Engineering
For more information, contact:  Roberta
617-324-5540
robertap at mit.edu <mailto:robertap at mit.edu>

--------------------------------------

Science by the Pint: Convergent Evolution: the discovery of natural selection
Monday, March 9, 2015
7pm
The Burren, 247 Elm Street, Somerville

Andrew Berry and Janet Browne:
Convergent Evolution: Charles Darwin, Alfred Russel Wallace, and the discovery of natural selection
Most everyone has heard of Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, but what of his contemporary Alfred Russel Wallace? What are Wallace’s contributions to the field of evolution? Through this case study, comparing Darwin and Wallace, what can we learn about how scientific reputation is formed? Join us for a debate-style special Science by the Pint evening with Dr. Andrew Berry and Dr. Janet Browne!

Science by the Pint is sponsored by an organization of Harvard graduate students called Science in the News.  In between their sleepless hours of hard work at Harvard Med School, they bring cutting edge scientific research to the public in a fun and informal format.

More at http://www.meetup.com/NerdFunBoston/events/220804901/ <http://www.meetup.com/NerdFunBoston/events/220804901/>
http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/ <http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/>

-----------------------------------

Meet and Workshop Games with U.N. Designers at the Engagement Lab
Monday, March 9, 2015
7:30 PM to 11:00 PM
Engagement Game Lab, 160 Boylston Street, Boston (near the corner of Boylston and Charles)
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Game-Makers-Guild/events/220300955/ <http://www.meetup.com/Game-Makers-Guild/events/220300955/>
Cost: $2.00/per person

Come to the Engagement Lab at and meet some special guests: new game designers from Egypt working with the United Nations Development Program in Cairo!

They'll speak about their nascent work and what it's like to design "serious games" with the UN, then we'll playtest games (theirs and yours, time depending).

-------------------------
Tuesday, March 10
-------------------------

Webinar: Urbanization and the Changing Landscape:  Land Use Changes and Carbon Budgets in China
Tuesday, March 10
8:30 am
To join this webinar, log in to Adobe Connect via this URL: https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031015/ <https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031015/> as a “Guest”.  Then enter your full first and last names to help the administers of the webinar better identify you.

Presenters: Dr. Jack Spengler, Professor; Linda Tomasso, Project Associate, both at the Harvard School of Public Health
Description: This webinar will address the change in regional carbon balances related to land use change and land converted in the process of urbanized development in China. Identifying the existing vegetation and carbon stock values of southern China’s regional landscape will anchor this discussion, with the goal of estimating carbon sequestration levels of existing biomass sinks. Understanding these changes will be critical in our understanding of the relative importance of carbon sources and sinks in China over the next century.

Instructions at http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/urbanization-and-the-changing-landscape-land-use-changes-and-carbon-budgets-in-china/ <http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/urbanization-and-the-changing-landscape-land-use-changes-and-carbon-budgets-in-china/>

More at: http://green.harvard.edu/events/webinar-urbanization-and-changing-landscape#sthash.U0zpYvLJ.dpuf <http://green.harvard.edu/events/webinar-urbanization-and-changing-landscape#sthash.U0zpYvLJ.dpuf>

-------------------------------

Local Specialty Crop Trade Show & Local Food Trade Show
Connecting Wholesale Buyers and Producers of Local Food
Tuesday, March 10
8:30AM -1:30PM
Northeastern University, Boston, MA

Stay tuned for the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts' 4th Trade Show to connect local specialty crop growers and other local food producers to wholesale buyers, like retailers, institutions and restaurants. Registration will open in January. The event will feature open floor trading between wholesale buyers and producers of local food as well as workshops addressing common barriers to local food trading.

Please check out our webpage at http://bostonlocalfood.com/our-events/buy-local-trade-show/ <http://bostonlocalfood.com/our-events/buy-local-trade-show/> for Trade Show details.

If you would like to participate as a speaker in a workshop, contact maddie at sbnmass.org <mailto:maddie at sbnmass.org>.

We are currently seeking sponsors for this year's Local Food Trade Show. If you are interested, contact Maddie Phadke at maddie at sbnmass.org <mailto:maddie at sbnmass.org> or call (617) 395-0250 to learn more!

--------------------------------

Anna Holmes
Tuesday, March 10
12 P.M.
Harvard, Taubman 275, 15 Eliot Street, Cambridge

Anna Holmes is an editor of Digital Voices at Fusion, a columnist for the New York Times Book Review, and founder of Jezebel.com <http://jezebel.com/>. She has written and edited for numerous publications, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, InStyle and The New Yorker, and has edited two books including The Book of Jezebel.

----------------------------------

Distributed and Digital Disaster Response
Tuesday, March 10
12:00 pm
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, 23 Everett Street, Second Floor, Cambridge
RSVP required for those attending in person at https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Brugh#RSVP <https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Brugh#RSVP>
Event will be webcast live on https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Brugh <https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2015/03/Brugh> at 12:00 pm.

Berkman fellow Willow Brugh will discuss "Distributed and Digital Disaster Response."
About Willow
Willow Brugh, known as willowbl00 works with Aspiration Technology, and as a professor of practice of Professor of Practice at Brown University. She’s also affiliated with the Center for Civic Media at MIT’s Media Lab, the New England Complex Systems Institute, and a fellow at Harvard Law’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society.

She facilitates hackathons from Berlin to Chicago to Nairobi to the first hackathon ever IN Port-au-Prince, embedding technology with local communities through open source and codesign. Since founding both makerspaces and ways to link those community workshops to one another, she’s started working on long-term water sanitation projects in Tanzania with local innovation spaces, the World Bank, Red Cross, and Little Devices out of MIT.

In brief, Willow looks at connections, systems, empowerment, and powerlessness and strives to both understand and improve whatever she finds. Sometimes that’s with the Occupy Sandy Movement, sometimes it’s with the Naval Defense University.

She has transcendance tattoos that are impressive enough to be photographed for a National Geographic blog, and has keynoted the IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference. Willow has successfully worked with FEMA Field Innovation Team for Hurricane Sandy, and was awarded a ceremony at the White House for her contribution.

------------------------------

"Trouble at treeline: loss of a Rocky Mountain foundation species"
Tuesday, March 10
12 pm - 1pm
Harvard University Herbaria, Seminar Room 125, 22 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge

Diana Tomback, Charles Bullard Fellow in Forest Research, Harvard University Forest

Harvard University Herbaria Seminar

-------------------------------

Survival and Recovery from the Tohoku Disaster
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 10, 2015, 12:30 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Bowie-Vernon Room (K262), CGIS Knafel Building, 1737 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Program on U.S.-Japan Relations
SPEAKER(S)  Daniel Aldrich, associate professor of Political Science, Purdue University
Chiaki Moriguchi, professor, Institute for Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University
Moderated by Susan Pharr, Edwin O. Reischauer Professor of Japanese Politics and Director, Program on U.S.-Japan Relations, Harvard University
COST  Free and open to the public
LINK	http://programs.wcfia.harvard.edu/us-japan/calendar/upcoming <http://programs.wcfia.harvard.edu/us-japan/calendar/upcoming>

-------------------------------------

Clean Energy Standard Hearings
Tuesday, March 10
1:00 pm
DEP offices, One Winter Street, Boston

The Massachusetts Department of Envrionmental Protection is proposing a new clean energy standard to increase the amount of non-fossil fuel generated electricity for consumers.  The standard is part of the Commonwealth’s efforts to achieve an 80 percent reduction in GHG emissions statewide by 2050.

More information at http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/massdep/climate-energy/climate/ghg/ces.html

---------------------------------

43rd James R. Killian Jr. Faculty Achievement Award Lecture
Tuesday, March 10
4:00p–5:30p
MIT, Building 10-250, Huntington Hall, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Speaker: Professor Sallie Chisholm : Lee and Geraldine Martin Professor of Environmental Studies in CEE
Sallie Chisholm thought she was just going to a regular faculty meeting on Wednesday afternoon, but there was a surprise in store for the much-lauded scientist: At the meeting, she was named as the 2014 recipient of MIT's highest honor for full-time faculty members, the James R. Killian Jr. Faculty Achievement Award, in recognition of her extraordinary professional accomplishments.
The James R. Killian Jr. Faculty Achievement Award was established in 1971 to recognize extraordinary professional accomplishments by full-time members of the MIT faculty. It is the greatest honor the faculty can bestow upon one of its members. A faculty committee chooses the recipient from among candidates nominated by their peers for outstanding contributions to their fields, to MIT, and to society.

Web site: http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/sallie-penny-chisholm-receives-mits-killian-award-0522
Open to: the general public
Cost: None
Sponsor(s): Civil and Environmental Engineering, Information Center, Provost's Office, Killian Award Committee
For more information, contact:  Joe Coen
617-253-4795
jcoen at mit.edu

----------------------------------

Next Steps After Ferguson, Garner & Rice
Tuesday, March 10
4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (EDT)
Ropes & Gray LLP, 800 Boylston Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/next-steps-after-ferguson-garner-rice-tickets-15673101669

NEXT STEPS AFTER FERGUSON, GARNER & RICE:  Strategies to Foster Relationships between Law Enforcement and Communities
Please join us for a panel discussion on strategies to foster positive relationships between law enforcement officials and the communities they serve in the wake of Ferguson, Garner, and Rice.
FEATURED SPEAKERS
Moderator
Jack McDevitt, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, Director, Institute on Race and Justice, College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Northeastern University
Panelists
Michael Curry, President, Boston National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
Superintendent-in-Chief William Gross, Boston Police Department
Rahsaan Hall, Deputy Director, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Economic Justice
Please contact Katherine Sartiano at ksartiano at adl.org or (617) 406-6364 with any questions.

------------------------------

The Future of the Documentary
Tuesday, March 10
4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
MIT, Building E19-623, Knight Conference Room, 400 Main Street, Cambridge

Raney Aronson, Frontline / WGBH

----------------------------------

North America's Shale Gas Resources; Energy and Environmental Perspectives
WHEN  Tue., Mar. 10, 2015, 6 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Museum of Natural History, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Environmental Sciences, Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Harvard Museum of Natural History, Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
SPEAKER(S)  John H. Shaw, chair, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences; Harry C. Dudley Professor of Structural and Economic Geology; and professor of environmental science and engineering, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	hmnh at hmnh.harvard.edu, 617.495.3045
DETAILS  Over the last decade, natural gas extracted from shale rock formations (shale gas) has become an important source of energy in North America. These abundant natural gas resources offer tremendous economic potential and are reshaping the landscape of energy production, including fossil, nuclear, and renewable energy options. Natural gas is also the lowest-emission fossil energy option available today. However, like other energy options, shale gas development has potential adverse impacts on our environment. John Shaw will discuss where and how shale gas resources are found, the geologic processes responsible for their formation, and the economic and environmental impacts associated with their extraction and use.
Free event parking at 52 Oxford St, Cambridge, MA, 02138
LINK	http://hmnh.harvard.edu/calendar/upcoming

-------------------------------

High-Tech Med:  The Newest Wave of Medical Innovation
Tuesday, March 10
6pm - 7:30pm
Harvard Medical School, Joseph B Martin Conference Center, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston

From the introduction of the smallpox vaccine to the first successful kidney transplant to developing genome sequencing methods, HMS researchers have been on the cutting edge of scientific discovery.  In this seminar learn about today's innovative wonders being developed in Harvards laboratories and what's next on the horizon as medicine and technology converge.

More information:  seminar at hms.harvard.edu
http://hms.harvard.edu/minimedschool
617-423-3038

---------------------------------

SCIENCE with/in/sight: 2015 Koch Institute Image Awards
The Koch Institute at MIT
Tuesday, March 10
6:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, 500 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/science-withinsight-2015-koch-institute-image-awards-registration-15180607606

Ten remarkable images. One dynamic evening of science, technology, and inspiration.
Join MIT’s life scientists and engineers for a fascinating glimpse into the stories behind the fifth annual Koch Institute Image Awards exhibition. The evening will feature lightning talks from this year’s award winners and networking in the Koch Institute Public Galleries. Surround yourself with passionate people whose big ideas expand microscopic worlds into transformative landscapes of discovery and innovation.

Reception at 6:00 p.m., Presentations at 7:00 p.m., Coffee and dessert follow.

Editorial Comment:  Yes, that Koch.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

-----------------------------
Wednesday, March 11
-----------------------------

Toward Robots That Learn From Everyday People
Wednesday, March 11
11:00am
Harvard, 60 Oxford Street, Room 330, Cambridge

Sonia Chernova, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
The development of collaborative robotic technologies that work alongside human users and are adaptable to changing task and user needs is of critical importance for furthering industries as diverse as manufacturing, healthcare, defense, and consumer services.  To operate effectively in these complex domains, robots must have the ability to adapt to user preferences and learn from user input.  In this talk, I will discuss how my research group has leveraged innovations in cloud computing, crowdsourcing and remote access technologies to gain unprecedented access to data and users, fundamentally altering the way in which interactive robotic systems are developed and deployed.  I will present applications of this research paradigm to robot learning from demonstration, object manipulation and semantic reasoning, as well as discuss exciting avenues for future research in this area.

Speaker Bio:  Sonia Chernova is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Robotics Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute and the director of the Robot Autonomy and Interactive Learning (RAIL) lab.  She received her Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University in 2009, and worked as a Postdoctoral Associate at the MIT Media Lab prior to joining WPI.  Her research interests span robotics, interactive machine learning, adjustable autonomy, human computation and human-robot interaction.  Dr. Chernova's research is supported through funding from NSF, ONR and DARPA, including the NSF CAREER, NSF NRI and ONR YIP awards.   Her work has been covered by national and international press, including the New York Times, National Geographic, New Scientist, ComputerWorld, NPR and the BBC.   Among other service appointments, she currently serves on the Steering and Program Committees of the HRI conference and on the AAAI Executive Council.

--------------------------------

'Where There is Fire, There is Politics': Material Life and Ungovernability in Urban South Africa
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 11, 2015, 12 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Thompson Room, Barker Center, 12 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Hutchins Center for African & African American Research
SPEAKER(S)  Kerry Chance, independent scholar in anthropology
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	hutchevents at fas.harvard.edu <mailto:hutchevents at fas.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  A Q+A will follow the lecture
LINK	hutchinscenter.fas.harvard.edu

---------------------------------

"Protest Cascades in Syria"
Wednesday, March 11
12:00p–1:30p
MIT, Building E40-496, 1 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Wendy Pearlman, Northwestern University

Wednesday Seminar Series, Security Study Program

Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Center for International Studies
For more information, contact:  Elina Hamilton
617-253-7529
elinah at mit.edu <mailto:elinah at mit.edu>

-------------------------------

Webinar: Planning and Design Guidelines and Prototypes for Healthier Places
Wednesday, March 11
1:00 PM
To join this webinar, log in to Adobe Connect via this URL: https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031115/ <https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031115/> as a “Guest”.  Then enter your full first and last names to help the administers of the webinar better identify you.

Presenters: Dr. Ann Forsyth, Professor; Leire Asensio-Villoria, Lecturer, Design Coordinator; David Mah, Lecturer, Design Coordinator; Laura Smead, Research Associate, all of the Harvard Graduate School of Design
Description: Members of HAPI's Harvard Graduate School of Design team will present evidence-based guidelines for healthier places. It will also introduce conceptual proposals operating at multiple scales: urban and local residential development as well as at the scale of specific buildings and typologies. The guidelines are based on a synthesis of existing research on the multiple dimensions connecting health and place, focusing on effective strategies most relevant to urban planners and the built environment. Topics include accessibility to health services, air quality, water quality, opportunities for physical activity, universal design, access to community resources, the connections between green space and mental health, healthy food access, noise, health effects of disasters, and safety.

Instructions at http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/planning-and-design-guidelines-and-prototypes-for-healthier-places/ <http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/planning-and-design-guidelines-and-prototypes-for-healthier-places/>

This webinar is sponsored by the Health and Places Initiative (HAPI). This project investigates how to create healthier cities in the future, with a specific emphasis on China. Bringing together experts from the Harvard Graduate School of Design (HGSD) and the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), it creates a forum for understanding the multiple issues that face cities in light of rapid urbanization and an aging population worldwide.

-----------------------------

Does Better Information Lead to Better Choices? Evidence from Energy Efficiency Labels
WHEN  Wed., Mar. 11, 2015, 4:10 – 5:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Kennedy School, Littauer-382, 79 JFK Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Environmental Sciences, Lecture, Social Sciences, Sustainability
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Seminar in Environmental Economics and Policy, Harvard Environmental Economics Program
SPEAKER(S)	Gilbert Metcalf, Tufts University
LINK	http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k105744 <http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k105744>

------------------------------

Forum: Overcoming Violence Video Screening & Panel Discussion
Wednesday, March 11
5:30 PM to 7:30 PM (EDT)
University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, CPCS Plaza, Wheatley Hall 4th Floor, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/forum-overcoming-violence-video-screening-panel-discussion-tickets-15649761859

Join the College of Public and Community Service for this important discussion around “Overcoming Violence” in our community.  Meet community and university partners who collaborated to produce this inititiative including an updated “Understanding Violence” curriculum presented in city schools and youth centers for the past 10 years; a thought provoking video and a highly visable billboard campaign.
Learn more about our academic and certificate programs in Community Development, Human Services and Gerontology.
This event is co-sponsored by the Office of Community Relations at UMass Boston.

--------------------------------

Mass Innovation Nights #72
Wednesday, March 11
6pm - 8:30pm
LogMeIn, 320 Summer Street,  Boston

Every month, ten companies bring new innovative products to Mass Innovation Night Events, and the social media community turns out to blog, tweet, post pictures & video, add product mentions to LinkedIn & Facebook, and otherwise help spread the word. These live events allow companies to show off Massachusetts-based innovation. In the last six years, Mass Innovation Nights have helped to:

Registration and networking begin at 6:00 pm and presentations begin at 7:00 pm. Innovation Nights are held once a month on-site at various venues that donate their space to further the cause of local innovation.

Website:  http://mass.innovationnights.com/events/mass-innovation-nights-72 <http://mass.innovationnights.com/events/mass-innovation-nights-72>
Mass Innovation Nights Website:  http://mass.innovationnights.com/ <http://mass.innovationnights.com/>

-------------------------
Thursday, March 12
--------------------------

City to City Dialogue: Innovations in Energy and Mobility Affecting the Future of Our Cities | #TasteofIceland in Boston
Thursday, March 12
8:15 AM to 11:00 AM (EDT)
MIT Media Lab, E14-674, Multi-Purpose Room , 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-to-city-dialogue-innovations-in-energy-and-mobility-affecting-the-future-of-our-cities-registration-15714810421 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-to-city-dialogue-innovations-in-energy-and-mobility-affecting-the-future-of-our-cities-registration-15714810421>

Iceland Naturally is partnering with the MIT Media Lab and the City Science Initiative to host an energy innovation panel discussion on March 12. The panel will focus on Boston’s and Reykjavik’s efforts in innovating energy for a better future, including the work being done around electric cars and data centers. The Mayor of Reykjavik and executives from Iceland’s national power company, Landsvirkjun, will represent Iceland on this panel.

Agenda
8:15 - 9 AM: Breakfast
9 AM: Welcome
Michael Brown, Head of Business Development, Verne Global
Dagur B. Eggertsson, Mayor of Reykjavik
9:15 AM: Panel Discussion
Moderator: Greg Lindsay, Author and Journalist
Bjorgvin Sigurdsson, EVP of Business Development, Landsvirkjun
Ryan Chin, City Science Initaitive & MIT Media Lab
Vineet Gupta, Head of City of Boston Transportation, City of Boston
Einar Gunnar Guðmundsson, Director Entrepreneurship, Arion Bank
Additional panelists to be announced
10:30 AM: Q&A

About Taste of Iceland in Boston
This event is part of Taste of Iceland in Boston, a five-day cultural event that will celebrate Iceland's food, music, film and environmental initiatives from March 12-16 to give Bostonians a taste of what life is like in Iceland. Click here to RSVP on Facebook, and join the conversation on Twitter & Instagram by tagging @IcelandNatural with the hashtag #TasteofIceland.

-----------------------------------

Cybersecurity at MIT
Thursday, March 12
8:30a–11:00a
MIT, Building 32-123, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/ <http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/>

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology Invites you to Cybersecurity at MIT, the public launch of MIT's comprehensive effort to tackle the technical, regulatory and business challenges of cyber security. This event will begin at 9:00am on Thursday, March 12.

Recognizing the importance of a more integrated approach to combating data breaches and security failures, MIT is launching three new MIT research efforts:
Cybersecurity at CSAIL
The MIT Cyber security Policy Initiative
Interdisciplinary Consortium for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity, (IC)3

For registration and more information please visit: http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/ <http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/>

Web site: http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/ <http://mitcybersecurity.mit.edu/>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): CSAIL
For more information, contact:  Laura Moses
617-253-0145
mitcybersecurity at csail.mit.edu <mailto:mitcybersecurity at csail.mit.edu>

------------------------------

Air quality in developing world disaster and conflict zones: the case of Haiti
Thursday, March 12
12:00-1:00pm
Tufts, Lincoln Filene Center, Rabb Room, 10 Upper Campus Road, Medford

Ann Rappaport, Urban, Environmental Policy & Planning, Tufts University
Mary Davis, Urban, Environmental Policy & Planning, Tufts University
Data on air quality are remarkably limited in the poorest of the world's countries. This is especially true for post conflict and disaster zones, where international relief efforts focus on more salient public health challenges such as water and sanitation, infectious diseases and housing. We use post-earthquake Haiti as an example case and contend there is an unmet need for additional attention to an important health challenge.

Dr. Ann Rappaport has helped develop and implement the hazardous waste regulatory program in Massachusetts, and maintains an active interest in the dynamic relationship between environmental laws and regulations and innovations in environmental technology and corporate management of environmental issues. Her current research interests include enterprise-level decision making with respect to the environment, institutional responses to climate change, voluntary initiatives related to companies and the environment, and contemporary issues in corporate social responsibility. She co-directs the Tufts Climate Initiative, the university commitment to meet or beat the emission reductions associated with the Kyoto Protocol.

Dr. Mary Davis's research is broadly focused on environmental health issues, including air pollution, occupational health, children's health, and biostatistics. Her recent research projects include an investigation of the relationship between the economy and human health, evaluations of working conditions in Haitian apparel factories and in the New England commercial fishing industry, and an assessment of economic trade-offs in marine resource use along the Maine coastline. She is currently the chair of a National Academy of Sciences research panel investigating the effect of noise on children's learning outcomes, and has testified on multiple occasions at state legislative panels as an advocate for pro-children's health legislation.

---------------------------

Volcanic Winter, Population Bottlenecks, and Human Evolution
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 12, 2015, 6 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Humanities, Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
SPEAKER(S)  Stanley H. Ambrose, Professor of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	617-496-1027, hmsc at hmsc.harvard.edu <mailto:hmsc at hmsc.harvard.edu>
DETAILS  The eruption of the Mount Toba supervolcano in the Indonesian island of Sumatra 74,000 years ago brought about an era of severe environmental degradation that decimated populations of Neanderthals and modern humans. Archaeological evidence suggests that modern humans survived this era by creating cooperative intergroup social networks and behaving like tribes. Neanderthals on the other hand, behaved more like primate troops, living in small, closed territories with limited intergroup interaction. Stanley Ambrose, Professor of Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will discuss the behaviors that contributed to the competitive advantage of modern humans and the demise of Neanderthals.
Free event parking at 52 Oxford St, Cambridge, MA, 02138
Presented by Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
LINK	https://www.peabody.harvard.edu/node/2156 <https://www.peabody.harvard.edu/node/2156>

SPEAKER(S)  Matthew Aucoin, composer; Harvard University
Davone Tines, Harvard University
COST  Free and open to the public; seating limited
CONTACT INFO	humcentr at fas.harvard.edu; 617-495-0738
DETAILS  Join composer Matthew Aucoin (Harvard '12) for a recital and discussion about Crossing, his new opera inspired by the journals and poetry of Walt Whitman, premiering this May at the American Repertory Theater. Aucoin will address the concept of "crossing" as both transcendence and transgression, in relationship to poetry, music, and history. He will be joined by Davone Tines (Harvard '09), one of the performers in Crossing.
For more information about Crossing, please visit the American Repertory Theater's website.
LINK	http://mahindrahumanities.fas.harvard.edu/content/emcrossingem-lecturerecital

---------------------------------

Cambridge Climate Protection Action Committee
Thursday, March 12
6:00 pm
City Hall Annex, 344 Broadway, 2nd floor meeting room, Cambridge

--------------------------------

Boston Area Solar Energy Association Forum:
Thursday, March 12
Doors open at 7:00 p.m.; Presentation begins at 7:30 p.m
First Parish in Cambridge Unitarian Universalist;  3 Church Street, Harvard Square

For our March BASEA Forum, Haskell Werlin will lead a discussion of bills now on the Massachusetts House and Senate Dockets that support the growth of solar energy. More details to follow soon, but please take this opportunity to engage the Net Metering and Solar Task Force with your views in support of a bright future for solar power.

Your comments due to public process - please help now!
How does one influence solar power policy?
Engage in the "Net Metering and Solar Task Force" Public Process and express support to continue strong, innovative policies that have led to clean energy job growth of 47% in Massachusetts over the last four years.

The official Public Comment opportunities have come and are nearly gone.
* Your comments are due by Tuesday, March 3rd *
Email Address for Public Comments: NMS.taskforce at massmail.state.ma.us <mailto:NMS.taskforce at massmail.state.ma.us>

This well-written article is a good primer for comments in support of solar:
"Sun Burned", Greenfield Recorder, February 25th, 2015 - http://www.recorder.com/home/15837566-95/sun-burned?utm_source=BASEA+Forum-Thur.+Mar.+12th%3A+Your+comments+due+-+please+help+now&utm_campaign=Forum2015_12March_yrCmtsDueHelpNow&utm_medium=email

The Task Force is supposed to report to the legislature by the end of March, but:
the Task Force was not formed until about a month after it was supposed to be
the meetings to include public comments were not announced until the last minute
20% of the Task Force membership has changed midstream, including the Co-Chairs

What, then, to ask for?
To continue the great success of solar in Massachusetts, and keep our leadership position among other states who look to us for innovation. To extend the Task Force period, since it started late and is rushing ahead without proper public engagement. Also, ask for a reply or acknowledgement that your comments have been received.

Please feel free to contact me if you need help with the process.
My email is: higginsm at mit.edu

Act now to be counted as a supporter of solar energy in Massachusetts!

----------------------
Friday, March 13
----------------------

ITIG DigiCamp 2015
Information Technology Interest Group (ITIG)
Friday, March 13
8:30 AM to 12:30 PM (EDT)
Simmons College, Lefavour Hall, Kotzen Room, 2 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/itig-digicamp-2015-registration-15621803234
Cost $10 - $20

Join us @ DigiCamp '15! This low-cost, half-day youConference focuses on technology in libraries. How does ITIG's DigiCamp work? If you are interested in hearing about how other libraries use technology, or if you wish to share innovative or interesting things that are happening at YOUR library, just show up and share. DigiCamp will feature a community-driven format where each session is designed and delivered by you. This format fosters spontaneous sharing, therefore, no PowerPoints allowed. Even the topics chosen for each session will be chosen by you.
What is ITIG? ITIG is the Information Technology Special Interest Group of ACRL New England.
Is DigiCamp right for me? DigiCamp is designed for all technology levels, so come one, come all!
Schedule:
Registration from 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. (Coffee and energizing breakfast of muffins, bagels, fruit salad, Chobani yogurts, granola, juice and water will be served.)
Sessions run from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

During the registration process, you will be asked to pick 3 technology topics you would be interested in discussing at DigiCamp. Need suggestions? See last year's sessions.
Registration ends on Saturday, February 28, 2015.
Have questions about ITIG DigiCamp 2015? Contact Kieran (kayton at ric.edu).

----------------------------------

New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable
Friday, March 13
9:00AM
Foley Hoag LLP, 155 Seaport Boulevard, 13th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/313-roundtable-state-of-ne-states-energyclimate-important-regional-generation-developments-tickets-15453589101?utm_campaign=3.13.15+second+notice&utm_medium=email&utm_source=3.13.15+Roundtable+Second+Announcement
Cost:  $35 -$65
Livestream:  http://signup.clickstreamtv.com/event/raab/events/ <http://signup.clickstreamtv.com/event/raab/events/>

Panel I: State of the New England States (Energy/Climate) -  MA, CT, & ME
For our first panel, New England State leaders will discuss their states' major energy and climate policies, programs, and initiatives and share their evolving perspectives on potential regional infrastructure investments. The panel opens with Massachusetts' new Secretary for Energy and Environmental Affairs, Matthew Beaton. Then we will hear from Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment Protection Deputy Commissioner, Katie Dykes, who will discuss DEEP's recently-released draft integrated resource plan for the state. We will round off the panel with Maine's new Public Utilities Commission Chair, Mark Vannoy, who will provide a northern New England state perspective.

Panel II: Important Regional Generation Developments
Our second panel will provide an update on a range of important developments related to the future of power generation in New England. First, Bob Ethier, VP Market Operations at ISO New England, will discuss the results of the upcoming (2/2) Forward Capacity Market (FCM) auction and will brief us on how electric system reliability and prices have fared so far this winter. He will also update us on expected generation retirements in New England. Next, Abigail Hopper, Director of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, U.S. DOI, has been invited to discuss the results of the upcoming (1/29) BOEM offshore wind auction of over 700,000 acres off the NE coast. Lastly, Scott Silverstein, President and CEO of Footprint Power, will discuss Footprint's redevelopment of Salem Harbor, having recently secured the necessary financing for a quick-start combined-cycle gas turbine.

Registration and Cancellation Policies

Registration policy:
The Roundtable registration policies introduced last Fall will continue:
We are capping attendance and requiring pre-registration.
There is a fee for this Roundtable of $65 (There is a discounted fee of $35 for government or non-profit employees, students, retirees, and lower-income individuals).
Both in-person attendance and live webstreaming will continue to be free for sponsors, but sponsors will have to pre-register like everyone else.
Cancellation policy:  If you register, but can't attend, please let us know ASAP so we can allow someone from the waiting list to take your place. Refunds will be accepted up to 72 hours before the start of the Roundtable. To cancel your registration or get a refund, please reply to your confirmation email or log in to Eventbrite.
Thanks!

Contact Name:   Susan Rivo
susan at raabassociates.org <mailto:susan at raabassociates.org>
http://www.RaabAssociates.org

--------------------------------

Measuring Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide from Space: Early results from the Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 (OCO-2)
Friday, March 13
12:00pm to 1:00pm
Harvard, Pierce Hall 100F, 29 Oxford Street, Cambridge

David Crisp
Speaker Bio: https://science.jpl.nasa.gov/people/DCrisp/ <https://science.jpl.nasa.gov/people/DCrisp/>

Atmospheric Sciences Seminar

------------------------------

The Future of Violence:  Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting A New Age of Threat
Friday, March 13, 2015
3:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Gabriella Blum?
Harvard Book Store welcomes GABRIELLA BLUM, Rita E. Hauser Professor of Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law at Harvard Law School, for a discussion of her book The Future of Violence: Robots and Germs, Hackers and Drones—Confronting A New Age of Threat, co-authored with Benjamin Wittes.

From drone warfare in the Middle East to digital spying by the National Security Agency, the U.S. government has harnessed the power of cutting-edge technology to awesome effect. But what happens when ordinary people have the same tools at their fingertips? Advances in cybertechnology, biotechnology, and robotics mean that more people than ever before have access to potentially dangerous technologies—from drones to computer networks and biological agents—which could be used to attack states and private citizens alike.

In The Future of Violence, law and security experts Benjamin Wittes and Gabriella Blum detail the myriad possibilities, challenges, and enormous risks present in the modern world, and argue that if our national governments can no longer adequately protect us from harm, they will lose their legitimacy. Consequently, governments, companies, and citizens must rethink their security efforts to protect lives and liberty. In this brave new world where many little brothers are as menacing as any Big Brother, safeguarding our liberty and privacy may require strong domestic and international surveillance and regulatory controls. Maintaining security in this world where anyone can attack anyone requires a global perspective, with more multinational forces and greater action to protect (and protect against) weaker states who do not yet have the capability to police their own people. Drawing on political thinkers from Thomas Hobbes to the Founders and beyond, Wittes and Blum show that, despite recent protestations to the contrary, security and liberty are mutually supportive, and that we must embrace one to ensure the other.

The Future of Violence is at once an introduction to our emerging world—one in which students can print guns with 3-D printers and scientists’ manipulations of viruses can be recreated and unleashed by ordinary people—and an authoritative blueprint for how government must adapt in order to survive and protect us.

Saturday, March 14 - Sunday, March 15

Saturday, March 14 - Sunday, March 15
The Intel® IoT Roadshow Hackathon
Greentown Labs, 28 Dane Street, Somerville
RSVP at https://iotroadshow.intel.com/en/home/registration/19/ <https://iotroadshow.intel.com/en/home/registration/19/>

Tentative Schedule

March 14th:
9:00am : Registration and Breakfast
10:00am : Kickoff & Keynote Speaker
11:00am : Workshop on Edison™ kits
12:30pm : Team formation, lunch and hacking begins
Goes through 12am

March 15th
9:00am : Hacking continues & breakfast
12:00pm : Lunch
2:00pm : Hackerleague Deadline & hacking ends
2:45pm : Demos begin
4:00pm : Demos end - Networking begins while judges deliberate
5:00pm : Winners announced

The technology
The Intel® Edison development board brings hardware projects unparalleled performance in a small, low power form factor ideal for IoT and connected devices. It is the first in a series of low-cost, product-ready, general purpose compute platforms that help lower the barriers to entry for entrepreneurs of all sizes - from pro makers to consumer electronics and companies working in the Internet of Things (IoT). The Intel Edison development platform packs a robust set of features into its small size, delivering great performance, durability, and a broad spectrum of I/O and software support. Check out some of the projects on Instructables!

------------------------
Sunday, March 15
-----------------------

Saint Patrick's Peace Parade People's Parade for Peace, Equality, Jobs, Environmental Stewardship, Social & Economic Justice
Sunday, March 15
11:00 am - 3:30 pm
South Boston (the parade route is 4.5 miles and ends at Andrew Station)

Unite, Participate, Celebrate
Please join us for our 5th Annual Saint Patrick's Peace Parade People's Parade for Peace, Equality, Jobs, Environmental Stewardship, Social & Economic Justice

Sign Up to Attend! We Need to Know You will Be There!
http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YA6Ysi6E5N9uRBe2pxq3JD%2BuXR55sjeS <http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YA6Ysi6E5N9uRBe2pxq3JD%2BuXR55sjeS>

There are several DIVISIONS marching in the parade, as well as two marching bands, Duck Boats, bagpipers, and the Bread and Puppet Theater. The DIVISIONS are: Veterans groups; Peace groups; LGBT groups; Faith groups; environmental groups; social and economic justice groups; labor groups; political groups. Please invite your group(s) to come!
Contact: Massachusetts Peace Action, Cole Harrison, info at masspeaceaction.org,
617-354-2169; Veterans for Peace, Pat Scanlon, info at massvfp.org,
978-475-1776; faith groups contact Lara Hoke, minister at uuandover.org.

Why are there two parades in South Boston on Saint Patrick's Day?   Read the essay by Pat Scanlon
http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=75FVFvpbf1fSUOhpEnG%2F%2F3D6BMTu7ha6

Vets4PeaceChapter9 at gmail.com     Phone: 978-475-1776

------------------------
Monday, March 16
------------------------

Dr. Temple Grandin: Helping Different Kinds of Minds to Succeed
Monday, March 16
4:30p–6:30p
MIT, Building E14-674, MIT Media Lab, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Dr. Temple Grandin

Web site: http://www.media.mit.edu/events/2015/03/16/dr-temple-grandin-helping-different-kinds-minds-succeed <http://www.media.mit.edu/events/2015/03/16/dr-temple-grandin-helping-different-kinds-minds-succeed>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Media Lab
For more information, contact:
wellbeing-events at media.mit.edu <mailto:wellbeing-events at media.mit.edu>

-------------------------
Tuesday, March 17
-------------------------

Boston Going for the Gold in 2024: Transportation and Infrastructure Opportunities and Hurdles
Tuesday, March 17
7:45 AM to 9:45 AM (EDT)
C. Walsh Theatre - Suffolk University, 55 Temple Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-going-for-the-gold-in-2024-transportation-and-infrastructure-opportunities-and-hurdles-tickets-13781349387 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-going-for-the-gold-in-2024-transportation-and-infrastructure-opportunities-and-hurdles-tickets-13781349387>

How does Boston leverage its Olympics proposal to ensure that much-needed housing, transportation, and infrastructure improvements will be addressed for lasting benefits?

Panelists:
Richard Davey, CEO, Boston 2024
Peter Zuk, Principal, Zuk International, Inc.
Jeanne DuBois, Strategic Advisor, Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation
Chris Dempsey, Co-Chair, No Boston Olympics
Alex Krieger, FAIA Principal, NBBJ, Professor of Urban Design Harvard Graduate School of Design
James Aloisi, Principal, Pemberton Square Group
Moderated by:
Peter Howe, Business Editor, NECN

This event is free and open to the public; however, RSVP is required.

-----------------------------------

Webinar: Creating Evidence-based Healthy and Energy-Efficient Housing
Tuesday, March 17
8 am
To join this webinar, log in to Adobe Connect via this URL: https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031715/ <https://gsd-fll.adobeconnect.com/hapi031715/> as a “Guest”.  Then enter your full first and last names to help the administers of the webinar better identify you.

Presenter:  Dr. Gary Adamkiewicz, Ph.D., MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
Description: Modern indoor environments can directly affect human health. This is partly driven by the dramatic increase in the quantity and diversity of chemical exposures from household furnishings and consumer products over the past 50 years. While some exposures are difficult to estimate in the general population, many of the dominant pathways can be understood and modified.

This webinar will present findings from a ten-city housing study in China, in order to understand the key housing-based drivers of occupant health. The China, Children, Homes, and Health (CCHH) study will provide a unique and valuable evidence base, and provides a model for future studies of the linkages between urbanization and health.

The first phase of this study, conducted from 2010 through 2012, involved the completion of a cross-sectional questionnaire survey of nearly 50,000 families with children aged 1-8 years. This session will also elaborate on best practices to reduce indoor environmental exposures in newly-constructed residences; selection of materials which minimizes exposure to key pollutants including known and suspected endocrine disruptors; and the creation of a model of future energy demands for residences in Chinese cities based on anticipated climatic change.

Instructions at http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/creating-evidence-based-healthy-and-energy-efficient-housing/ <http://research.gsd.harvard.edu/hapi/overview/activities-and-events/webinar-series-2015/creating-evidence-based-healthy-and-energy-efficient-housing/>

More at: http://green.harvard.edu/events/webinar-creating-evidence-based-healthy-and-energy-efficient-housing#sthash.B9JpF34P.dpuf <http://green.harvard.edu/events/webinar-creating-evidence-based-healthy-and-energy-efficient-housing#sthash.B9JpF34P.dpuf>

----------------------------

Media Lab Conversations Series: Dr. Temple Grandin
Tuesday, March 17
11:00a–12:00p
MIT, Building E14-3, MIT Media Lab, 3rd floor atrium, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Dr. Temple Grandin in Conversation with Rosalind Picard

Web site: http://www.media.mit.edu/events/2015/03/17/media-lab-conversations-series-dr-temple-grandin-conversation-rosalind-picard <http://www.media.mit.edu/events/2015/03/17/media-lab-conversations-series-dr-temple-grandin-conversation-rosalind-picard>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Media Lab
For more information, contact:  Laura Seretta
events-admin at media.mit.edu <mailto:events-admin at media.mit.edu>

-----------------------------

Fertility Surveillance and the Production of Families for the Nation: Russian Demographic Science and the Search for a Liberal Biopolitics
Tuesday, March 17
4:00p–6:30p
MIT, Building E40-496, 1 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Michele Rivkin-Fish, Associate Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapell Hill
The talk will outline how key shifts in demographic research on fertility reveal broader contestations over the scope and type of biopolitics from the Soviet to Putin eras. The systematic surveillance and analysis of demographic trends was a major preoccupation of Soviet governance and continues to be so for Russia. For both the Soviet and Russian regimes, moderate population growth was a sign of national vitality, and public policy-- a vehicle for engineering population dynamics to achieve this collective good. Thus, when steady trends of gradually declining fertility during the 1970s and 1980s became stark drops in the birth rate during the chaotic 1990s, politicians and conservative demographers urged using state resources to increase fertility.

Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Center for International Studies, MISTI MIT-Russia Program, Security Studies Program
For more information, contact:  Ema Kaminskaya
617 324-2793
mit-russia at mit.edu <mailto:mit-russia at mit.edu>

--------------------------------

Tuesday, March 17
6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
MIT, Bulding 32, Kirsch Auditorium, Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

The public meeting to present and discuss the interim results of the climate change vulnerability assessment, which was originally planned for February, has been rescheduled.  The meeting will focus on the physical and social vulnerabilities identified by the assessment based on scenarios for inland flooding and increasing temperatures. Preliminary coastal storm surge modeling results for 2030 will also be presented. Coastal storm surge modeling with sea level rise for 2070 is in progress. The vulnerability assessment for storm surge risks will be completed in the spring.

The City would like to hear responses to the interim results and draft findings to inform the vulnerability assessment report, which will provide a basis for the forthcoming Climate Change Preparedness & Resilience Plan, and discuss the community's thoughts about the direction of the plan. The meeting is open to all. Please see the draft agenda http://www.cambridgema.gov/citycalendar/~/media/BA85CC740207455B8AEC02A63F9766D6.ashx <http://www.cambridgema.gov/citycalendar/~/media/BA85CC740207455B8AEC02A63F9766D6.ashx>

For more information on the  Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment, please look to the project page
http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Projects/Climate/climatechangeresilianceandadaptation.aspx <http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Projects/Climate/climatechangeresilianceandadaptation.aspx>

or contact John Bolduc, jbolduc at cambridgema.gov <mailto:jbolduc at cambridgema.gov>, or 617/349-4628.

-----------------------------
Wednesday, March 18
-----------------------------

March Boston Sustainability Breakfast
Wednesday, March 18
7:30 AM to 8:30 AM (EDT)
Pret A Manger, 185 Franklin Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/march-boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-15880940320 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/march-boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-15880940320>

Join us for the March Boston Sustainability breakfast, an informal breakfast meetup of sustainability professionals together for networking, discussion and moral support.  It’s important to remind ourselves that we are not the only ones out there in the business world trying to do good!
So come, get a cup of coffee or a bagel, support a sustainable business and get fired up before work so we can continue trying to change the world.

--------------------------------------

The Critical Technologies for the 3rd Wave of Information and Communication Systems
Wednesday, March 18
12:00p–1:00p
MIT, Building 34-401, 50 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Sam Fuller, Analog Devices

MTL Seminar Series
Light lunch at 11:30am

Web site: http://www.mtl.mit.edu/seminars/spring2015.html <http://www.mtl.mit.edu/seminars/spring2015.html>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Microsystems Technology Laboratories
For more information, contact:  Valerie DiNardo
617 253-9328
valeried at mit.edu <mailto:valeried at mit.edu>

-------------------------------

2015 Valerie Gordon Lecture:  "Guantanamo and the Legacy of Torture"
Wednesday, March 18
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM (EDT)
Northeastern School of Law, 65 Forsyth Street, Dockers Hall, Room 240, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-valerie-gordon-lecture-tickets-15222780747 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-valerie-gordon-lecture-tickets-15222780747>

Jameel Jaffer, Deputy Legal Director of the ACLU and Director of its Human Rights Program, has for years been at the center of the national and international debate around the detainment center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In this 22nd Valerie Gordon Memorial Lecture, Jaffer discusses the ways in which the treatment of Guanatnamo prisoners is contributing to a legacy that will influence the global image of the US for decades to come.

Assembly of micro/nanomaterials into complex, three-dimensional architectures by compressive buckling
Wednesday, March 18
4:00p–5:00p
MIT, Building 1-131, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Speaker: Prof. Yonggang Huang
Complex, three dimensional (3D) structures in biology (e.g. cytoskeletal webs, neural circuits, vasculature networks) form naturally to provide essential functions in even the most basic forms of life. Compelling opportunities exist for analogous 3D architectures in man-made devices, but design options are constrained by existing capabilities in materials growth and assembly. Here we report routes to previously inaccessible classes of 3D constructs in advanced materials, including device-grade silicon. The schemes involve geometric transformation of two dimensional (2D) micro/nanostructures into extended 3D layouts by compressive buckling. Demonstrations include experimental and theoretical studies of more than forty representative geometries, from single and multiple helices, toroids and conical spirals to structures that resemble spherical baskets, cuboid cages, starbursts, flowers, scaffolds, fences and frameworks, each with single and/or multiple level configurations.
Yonggang Huang is the Joseph Cumming Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at Northwestern University. He is interested in mechanics research with applications to many branches of engineering science, where mechanics provides the scientific and engineering foundations and design guidelines. He is the Editor of Journal of Applied Mechanics, and was the President of the Society of Engineering Science in 2014

Mechanics and Infrastructure

Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Civil and Environmental Engineering
For more information, contact:  Markus Buehler
617 253-7101
mbuehler at mit.edu <mailto:mbuehler at mit.edu>

----------------------------------

Wednesday, March 18, 2015
The Art, Ethics and Technology of Documentary Co-Creation
5:00p–6:30p
MIT, Building 66-110, 25 Ames Street, Cambridge

Katerina Cizek, Filmmaker and MIT Visiting Artist
Andrew Lowenthal, Open Documentary Lab Research and Executive Director of EngageMedia
Mandy Rose, Director of the Digital Cultures Research Centre, University of West England, Bristol UK
Ethan Zuckerman, Director of the Center for Civic Mediaa

As new forms of media, networks and devices emerge throughout history, documentarians are always at the forefront of discovering how to tell stories with them. From the first newsreels, to the latest Virtual Reality installations, non-fiction creators are the first to introduce their audiences and users to novel ways of interacting, immersing and collaborating in new environments while interpreting reality. How can these new technologies change the documentary creator's relationship to the "people formerly known as subjects"? How can new models of co-creation redefine not just the form of the story itself but the methods by which we create them? How can documentaries be made "with" people instead of "about" them? This panel examines the history and potential for documentarians to co-create with citizens, social scientists, technologists and performing artists, with the aim to both create artful meaning and foster concrete political action.

Web site: http://arts.mit.edu/artists/katerina-cizek/ <http://arts.mit.edu/artists/katerina-cizek/>
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology, Open Documentary Lab
For more information, contact:  Meg Rotzel
mrotzel at mit.edu <mailto:mrotzel at mit.edu>

--------------------------
Thursday, March 19
-------------------------

Build Smarter Digital Strategies: A Breakfast Gathering with Google, Nonprofits & City Departments
Thursday, March 19
9AM - 11:30AM
Cambridge Community Television, 438 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Connect with the Google team. Learn how to reach new donors and volunteers, work efficiently and get supporters to take action.
Agenda
9:00-9:30am: Breakfast and Networking
9:30-11:00am: Google For Nonprofits Presentation by Curt Fennell of Google
11:00-11:30am: An Overview of CCTV’s Nonprofit Resource Center

Google for Nonprofits
This seminar, taught by Google team member Curt Fennell, will cover Google products and services that are free for nonprofit organizations, through Google for Nonprofits. Learn how to communicate your agency’s mission, impact and solicitations in the clearest and most powerful way, using these free digital tools.

Google for Nonprofits provides organizations with:
Free access to the Google Apps suite including Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Drive
Storage in the cloud: 30GB of storage across Gmail and Google Drive
The ability to stay connected from anywhere; and securely access data anywhere
24/7 support; no hardware, no updates

You will learn how to reach and engage supporters with Google Adwords. With Google Ad Grants (AdWords for nonprofits), you can:
Promote your organization’s website on Google with in-kind AdWords advertising
Raise awareness by choosing relevant keywords and creating unique ads to highlight your work
Track online donations, newsletter sign-ups, volunteer registrations and more, so you can craft more effective communications

CCTV’s Nonprofit Resource Center
Using media and technology to promote your nonprofit can be an expensive investment, and it can be a nerve wracking one if you can’t guarantee results. We know the feeling – CCTV is a nonprofit, too. Unlike many media options, we are tailored specifically to nonprofits. We will train you to produce your own content, or produce it for you, cost-effectively. CCTV’s Nonprofit Resource Center offers training and production services for Cambridge nonprofits and organizations. Learn more about how your organization can better reach and engage members of the community through CCTV.

Questions? Contact Clodagh Drummey at 617 401 4005 or clodagh at cctvcambridge.org <mailto:clodagh at cctvcambridge.org>.

----------------------------

"China's Natural Gas Strategy"
Thursday, March 19
 4:00PM
Harvard, Pierce Hall 100F, 29 Oxford Street, Cambridge

with Guy C.K. LEUNG, Postdoctoral Fellow, Geopolitics of Energy Project, Harvard Kennedy School of Government

China Project Seminar
http://chinaproject.harvard.edu/event/Leung150319 <http://chinaproject.harvard.edu/event/Leung150319>
Contact Name:  Chris Nielsen
nielsen2 at fas.harvard.edu
More at: http://environment.harvard.edu/events/2015-03-19-200000/china-project-seminar#sthash.h5V5LDAQ.dpuf

-----------------------------

Regenerative Medicine: A Breakthrough Way of Thinking about Disease and Injury, Using a Process that can Signal the Body to Rebuild Itself
Thursday, Marcg 19
4 – 5 p.m.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Meltzer Auditorium, 243 Charles Street, 3rd floor, Boston

---------------------------

Farm Share Fair 2015
Thursday, March 19
5:30-8:30 PM
First Church Cambridge, 11 Garden Street, Cambridge

Support local farmers. Buy direct. Compare all the great Farm Share (CSA) programs available in the Boston area. Veggies. Fruit. Meat. Poultry. Cheese. Herbs. Flowers. Chocolate. Wine. Meet awesome local food producers with distribution spots in the Boston area.

The Farm Share Fair is the Boston area’s direct-to-consumer marketing event for food producers across Massachusetts.

FREE. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

www.farmsharefair.com <http://www.farmsharefair.com/>

--------------------------

2015 Boston Kickoff Party!  Cleantech Open Northeast
Thursday, March 19
5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Greentown Labs, 28 Dane Street, Somerville
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-boston-kickoff-party-tickets-15543390700
Cost:  $10 - $20

Help Cleantech Open Northeast celebrate its 10th anniversary!
#KickoffCleanTech

Join us for an awesome night of cleantech community networking leading up to the Cleantech Open 2015 Accelerator program.
Entrepreneurs, students, savvy technologists, investors, professionals, and other interested parties all welcome!

At the launch party you'll be able to:
Connect with Boston's top innovators, supporters, and thought leaders in the cleantech space.
Get exposure by giving your 1 minute elevator pitch in front of judges and potential teammates (if you're ready!).
Listen to past competitors as they share their experience with Cleantech Open.
Celebrate our amazing clean tech community!

Are you a cleantech entrepreneur?
Attend this event for free! Please contact Sanah at sahmed at cleantechopen.org to receive your promo code.  In addition, come prepared to pitch your company.  We will be hosting an elevator pitch competition and the top three winners receive free applications to the Cleantech Open (worth $100+).
Learn more and submit your application!
Super Early Bird Deadline is March 1st.

Keynote Speakers  ...will be announced soon! Stay tuned.

Featured Speakers
Alicia Barton, CEO,  Mass CEC
As Chief Executive Officer of the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Alicia Barton is responsible for leading MassCEC’s efforts to accelerate the success of the clean energy technology sector in Massachusetts. Since her appointment as CEO in August 2012, Alicia has driven MassCEC’s efforts to provide support for all aspects of the sector from early stage technology innovation, to clean energy project deployment and workforce development.  Working in close coordination with the clean energy, environmental and economic development efforts of the Commonwealth, MassCEC’s programs have helped deliver record job growth in the clean energy technology sector, while seeing rapid expansion of clean energy projects throughout Massachusetts.

Host Speakers, Emily Reichert
Executive Director, Greentown Labs
As Executive Director, Emily Reichert sets Greentown Labs’ strategic direction, focusing on increasing the organization’s impact on clean and energy efficient technology commercialization through entrepreneurship. She also directs Greentown’s efforts to engage new corporate and foundation partners, to expand recognition and education programs for clean technology entrepreneurs, to leverage the local community of entrepreneurs, investors, universities, government agencies and NGOs striving to build our clean energy future, and to maintain greater Boston’s competitiveness in clean technology nationally and internationally.
Prior to Greentown Labs, Emily was the Director of Business Operations at the Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry, where she helped grow the company from an angel-funded start-up to a sustainable contract R&D business with a mission to minimize environmental impact of chemical processes and products. She has over fifteen years of experience serving in R&D, business development and operations leadership roles. Emily holds a PhD in physical chemistry and earned an MBA from MIT.

Alumni Speaker, Ryan Wright
Founder and CEO, Sol Power LLC
Ryan attended Northeastern University, graduating with a BS in Industrial Engineering. After Northeastern, he spent 3 years in an Operations Leadership Development Program for BAE Systems, a defense contractor, in their Electronic Systems division, holding roles in Continuous Improvement, Recruiting, Sustainability, Strategy Deployment and Strategy Execution. During this time at BAE, Ryan also enrolled in an evening MBA program at Babson College, where he discovered his true passion for entrepreneurship and sustainability. It was out of this evening MBA program that the idea for a solar cell phone charging station was born. After completing his 3 year requirement at BAE Systems, Ryan took a role as Engineering Project Manager at Skyworks Solutions, a commercial semiconductor company before leaving to pursue Sol Power (now WrightGrid) full time.

-------------------------------

The Future of Wearable Tech & Technical Fashion
Thursday, March 19
6:00 PM
Ministry of Supply, 299 Newbury Street, Boston
RSVP at https://generalassemb.ly/education/the-future-of-wearable-tech-technical-fashion-with-ministry-of-supply/boston/11242 <https://generalassemb.ly/education/the-future-of-wearable-tech-technical-fashion-with-ministry-of-supply/boston/11242>

Curious about the future of fashion technology? That just so happens to be our favorite topic – so we're teaming up with our friends at General Assembly to host a panel session on technical clothing and how it's transforming the fashion industry as a whole. Speakers include Scott Kirshner of the Boston Globe and our very own co-founder Kit Hickey, with more panelists to be announced in the next couple of weeks. With great discussion – and great cocktails – on the agenda, it promises to be a can't-miss event.

----------------------------

Boston New Technology March 2015 Product Showcase #BNT51
Thursday, March 19, 2015
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Foley Hoag, 155 Seaport Bouelvard, Boston
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/220504931/ <http://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/220504931/>

Free event! Come learn about 7 innovative and exciting technology products and network with the Boston/Cambridge startup community!  Each presenter gets 5 minutes for product demonstration and 5 minutes for Q&A.  Please follow @BostonNewTech and use the #BNT51 hashtag in social media posts: details here.

Products & Presenters:
Presenters to be announced soon!

Agenda:
6:00 to 7:00 - Networking with dinner and drinks
7:00 to 7:10 - Announcements
7:10 to 8:30 - Presentations, Q&A
8:30 to 9:00 - More Networking

---------------------------

 Citizen Journalism: A People's History of Ferguson
Thursday, March 19
6:30pm
Cambridge Forum, 3 Church Street, Cambridge

PEN-New England recognizes Ferguson activistis and bloggers Johnetta Elzie and DeRay McKesson with its 2015 Howard Zinn Freedom to Write award for their work as activists, organizers, and citizen journalists in the Ferguson protest movement. Their reporting and This Is the Movement newsletter engaged and unified disparate voicesa in the wake of the August 9, 2014, shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson Missouri. Jabari Asim, editor-in-chief of The Crisis, leads this discussion of the role of citizen
journalism and activism in our changing media landscape. What role did these citizen journalists expect to play in Ferguson?? How did their expectations change as their actual role evolved?? What lessons does their experience carry for other citizen journalists?

This program is organized and co-sponsored by PEN-New England.

617-495-2727
www.cambridgeforum.org <http://www.cambridgeforum.org/>

-----------------------

Startup Night With MassChallenge CEO John Harthorne
Thursday, March 19
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/startup-night-with-masschallenge-ceo-john-harthorne-tickets-14939130341 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/startup-night-with-masschallenge-ceo-john-harthorne-tickets-14939130341>

Kickoff the new year right with featured speaker John Harthorne CEO of MassChallenge.  In the event John will share how he started what is now the worlds largest startup accelerator and share advise for budding entrepreneurs.

-----------------------------

Mapping the Universe
WHEN  Thu., Mar. 19, 2015, 7:30 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, Phillips Auditorium, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
SPEAKER(S)  Daniel Eisenstein
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO	pubaffairs at cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:pubaffairs at cfa.harvard.edu>, 617.495.7461
DETAILS  Galaxies are not scattered randomly throughout the universe. Instead, they group into stringy filaments that span hundreds of millions of light-years. How did such structure evolve from the bland primordial soup that followed the Big Bang? New clues are coming from an ambitious mapping project, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which has measured the distance to galaxies halfway across the observable universe. Daniel Eisenstein is director of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey III (SDSS-III) and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
LINK	http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/publicevents <http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/publicevents>

----------------------------------

Design Showdown with Design New England
Friday, March 20
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
Boston Design Center, 1 Design Center Place, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/design-showdown-with-design-new-england-tickets-15637764976

Join us for the first ever Design Showdown where design students battle for a career jumpstart in a Shark Tank-style competition. Finalists present their interpretation of a live/work space on Newbury Street to our panel of esteemed judges. Results announced live by Steven Favreau, the Showdown Master of Ceremonies. Get up close and personal with the entries at a reception immediately following the program.

--------------------------
Saturday, March 21
-------------------------

Robot Race: Build-a-Bot Workshop
Saturday, March 21
Session 1: 9-12am
Session 2: 1-4pm
Vecna's Cambridge Research Lab, 36 Cambridge Park Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/robot-race-build-a-bot-workshop-tickets-15799614071 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/robot-race-build-a-bot-workshop-tickets-15799614071>

These sessions are designed for Robot Race participants to get hands-on advice from Vecna's team of roboticists. Three stations will be set up to workshop robot hardware, software, and electrical. Race participants are encouraged to bring their robots and their questions!
About the Robot Race

The Human 5K is a family-friendly 5K race for individuals, families and teams. Dress up as a robot or bring your unique gadgets and enhancements for special prizes.

OR register a robot for the Robot Race. Must have a driver (out of line-of-sight for part of the challenge) and a chaperone for the course. Drivers will be seated at the control center. Autonomous or teleoperated robots will complete an L-shaped course as quickly as possible. Robots will be required to receive a “Dixie” cup of confetti at the corner water stop. Robot categories and waves may be established based on the qualities of the entrants.

Register for both the Human 5K and Robot Race on Active.com <http://active.com/>
Learn more at vecnacares.org <http://vecnacares.org/>.

------------------------------------

Libre Planet
Saturday, March 21
9am - 6:45pm
MIT, Building 32, Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=20 <https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=20>
Cost:  $0 - $90

LibrePlanet is an annual conference for free software enthusiasts. LibrePlanet brings together software developers, policy experts, activists and computer users to learn skills, share accomplishments and face challenges to software freedom. Newcomers are always welcome, and LibrePlanet 2015 will feature programming for all ages and experience levels.

http://libreplanet.org/2015/ <http://libreplanet.org/2015/>

------------------------
Sunday, March 22
-----------------------

Libre Planet
Sunday, March 22
9am - 6:35pm
MIT, Building 32, Stata Center, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=20 <https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=20>
Cost:  $0 - $90

LibrePlanet is an annual conference for free software enthusiasts. LibrePlanet brings together software developers, policy experts, activists and computer users to learn skills, share accomplishments and face challenges to software freedom. Newcomers are always welcome, and LibrePlanet 2015 will feature programming for all ages and experience levels.

http://libreplanet.org/2015/ <http://libreplanet.org/2015/>

--------------------------------

BeCause Water Hosts World Water Day
BeCause Water
Sunday, March 22
2:00 PM to 5:30 PM (EDT)
Impact Hub, 50 Milk Street, Boston
RSVP at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/because-water-hosts-world-water-day-tickets-15731170354

Join us in celebrating, appreciating, and learning
about our planet’s most precious resource: WATER!

What To Expect:
Network with local non-profit organizations, businesses, and student groups who are devoted to water sustainability
Learn about local initiatives and ways that you can get involved
Share ideas regarding water sustainability
Discover a revolutionary mobile app that will change the way you access “water on-the-go”
Attend a free screening of the Boston premiere of the award-winning documentary "Divide in Concord"

Who's Invited:
Student Groups: Sign Up to be a featured student group. Present on your group's success over the past semester and notify attendees of your goals for this semester.
Non-Profit Organizations: Register as a featured organization. Showcase your organization's accomplishments and goals, while networking with potential volunteers or interns.
Students: Network with potenital employers, learn how to get involved in the water sustainability community, and meet with other engaged peers.

General Public: Discover ways to get involved in the water sustainability community. Enjoy the Boston premier of the award winning documentary that highlights the story of Concord's Bottle Ban.

Agenda:
2:00 - 2:30 Networking
2:30 - 4:00 Welcome & Presentations
4:00 - 5:30 Film Screening "Divide in Concord"

----------------------------

Workshop on Personal Divestment from Fossil Fuels
Sunday, March 22
3-5 PM
First Church in Cambridge, 11 Garden Street, Cambridge

Featuring investment experts Chuck Collins, Institute for Policy Studies; Leslie Samuelrich, Green Century; David Schreiber, Progressive Asset Mgmt; and Shelley Alpern, Green Yield Asset Mgmt. This is an opportunity for people to be part of an important movement for dealing with climate change and to align their finances with their values.

RSVP to rev.reebee at gmail.com, with subject line DIVEST.

------------------------------

************
--------------
Opportunity
--------------
************

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org <http://bnid.org/>) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.

The website contains:

A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development
- http://www.bnid.org/events <http://www.bnid.org/events>
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs <http://www.bnid.org/jobs>
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations <http://www.bnid.org/organizations>

Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up <http://www.bnid.org/sign-up>

The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.

Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org <mailto:info at bnid.org> if you have any questions!

———————————

Intern with Biodiversity for a Livable Climate!
Biodiversity for a Livable Climate (BLC) is a nonprofit based in the Cambridge, MA area. Our mission is to mobilize the biosphere to restore ecosystems and reverse global warming.
Education, public information campaigns, organizing, scientific investigation, collaboration with like-minded organizations, research and policy development are all elements of our strategy.

Background: Soils are the largest terrestrial carbon sink on the planet. Restoring the complex ecology of soils is the only way to safely and quickly remove carbon from the atmosphere and store it in the ground, where it’s desperately needed to regenerate the health of billions of acres of degraded lands. Restoring carbon to soils and regenerating ecosystems are how we can restore a healthy hydrologic cycle and cool local and planetary climates safely, naturally, and in time to ensure a livable climate now and in the future.

Our Work: immediate plans include
Organizing the First International Biodiversity, Soil Carbon and Climate Week, October 31-November 9, 2014, and a kick-off conference in the Boston area, “Mobilizing the Biosphere to Reverse Global Warming: A Biodiversity, Water, Soil Carbon and Climate Conference – and Call to Action” to expand the mainstream climate conversation to include the power of biology, and to help initiate intensive worldwide efforts to return atmospheric carbon to the soils.
Coordination of a global fund to directly assist local farmers and herders in learning and applying carbon farming approaches that not only benefit the climate, but improve the health and productivity of the land and the people who depend on it.
Collaboration with individuals and organizations on addressing eco-restoration and the regeneration of water and carbon cycles; such projects may include application of practices such as Holistic Management for restoration of billions of acres of degraded grasslands, reforestation of exploited forest areas, and restoring ocean food chains.

Please contact Helen D. Silver, helen.silver at bio4climate.org <mailto:helen.silver at bio4climate.org> for further information.
781-316-1710
Bio4climate.org <http://bio4climate.org/>
SharedHarvestCSA.com

—————————————

Climate Stories Project
http://www.climatestoriesproject.org

What's your Climate Story?
Climate Stories Project is a forum that gives a voice to the emotional and personal impacts that climate change is having on our lives. Often, we only discuss climate change from the impersonal perspective of science or the contentious realm of politics. Today, more and more of us are feeling the effects of climate change on an personal level. Climate Stories Project allows people from around the world to share their stories and to engage with climate change in a personal, direct way.

———————————

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!

Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Membership in the coop costs $2.50 per quart. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://sites.google.com/site/somervilleyogurtcoop/home

---------------------

Cambridge Residents: Free Home Thermal Images

Have you ever wanted to learn where your home is leaking heat by having an energy auditor come to your home with a thermal camera?  With that info you then know where to fix your home so it's more comfortable and less expensive to heat.  However, at $200 or so, the cost of such a thermal scan is a big chunk of change.

HEET Cambridge has now partnered with Sagewell, Inc. to offer Cambridge residents free thermal scans.

Sagewell collects the thermal images by driving through Cambridge in a hybrid vehicle equipped with thermal cameras.  They will scan every building in Cambridge (as long as it's not blocked by trees or buildings or on a private way).  Building owners can view thermal images of their property and an analysis online. The information is password protected so that only the building owner can see the results.

Homeowners, condo-owners and landlords can access the thermal images and an accompanying analysis free of charge. Commercial building owners and owners of more than one building will be able to view their images and analysis for a small fee.

The scans will be analyzed in the order they are requested.

Go to Sagewell.com.  Type in your address at the bottom where it says "Find your home or building" and press return.  Then click on "Here" to request the report.

That's it.  When the scans are done in a few weeks, your building will be one of the first to be analyzed. The accompanying report will help you understand why your living room has always been cold and what to do about it.

With knowledge, comes power (or in this case saved power and money, not to mention comfort).

---------------------

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

-----------------------

HEET has partnered with NSTAR and Mass Save participating contractor Next Step Living to deliver no-cost Home Energy Assessments to Cambridge residents.

During the assessment, the energy specialist will:

Install efficient light bulbs (saving up to 7% of your electricity bill)
Install programmable thermostats (saving up to 10% of your heating bill)
Install water efficiency devices (saving up to 10% of your water bill)
Check the combustion safety of your heating and hot water equipment
Evaluate your home’s energy use to create an energy-efficiency roadmap
If you get electricity from NSTAR, National Grid or Western Mass Electric, you already pay for these assessments through a surcharge on your energy bills. You might as well use the service.

Please sign up at http://nextsteplivinginc.com/heet/?outreach=HEET or call Next Step Living at 866-867-8729.  A Next Step Living Representative will call to schedule your assessment.

HEET will help answer any questions and ensure you get all the services and rebates possible.

(The information collected will only be used to help you get a Home Energy Assessment.  We won’t keep the data or sell it.)

(If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to call HEET’s Jason Taylor at 617 441 0614.)

*********
-----------
Resource
-----------
*********

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide

SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!

To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

Free Monthly Energy Analysis

CarbonSalon is a free service that every month can automatically track your energy use and compare it to your past energy use (while controlling for how cold the weather is). You get a short friendly email that lets you know how you’re doing in your work to save energy.

https://www.carbonsalon.com/

---------------------------------------

Boston Food System

"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."

The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

----------------------

Artisan Asylum  http://artisansasylum.com/

Sprout & Co:  Community Driven Investigations  http://thesprouts.org/

Greater Boston Solidarity Economy Mapping Project  http://www.transformationcentral.org/solidarity/mapping/mapping.html