[act-ma] Center for Marxist Education March Events

Casey Doyle cdoyle1477 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:40:36 PST 2015

*March Events*
Center for Marxist Education | 550 Mass Ave, Cambridge | 2nd Floor

*Red History Lecture Series*
*Spartacus: The Eternal Ideal*
Saturday, March 7th - 3-5pm

The slave revolt led by Spartacus shook the Roman world to its foundations,
and although a failure, has inspired the oppressed for centuries. Despite
being dramatized in novels and films, we know very little about the
historical figure of Spartacus. Communist historian Doug Enaa Greene will
deliver a lecture on the historical figure of Spartacus.
www.facebook.com/events/330488853816539

*Women & Marxism*
*International Working Women's Day*
Sunday, March 8th - 4-6:30pm
NOTE: This event is at encuentro5 (9A Hamilton Place, Boston. Steps from
the Park St T Stop)
Join the Communist Party of Boston, The Center for Marxist Education, and
Chelsea Uniting Against the War in celebrating International Working
Women's Day with a showing of the film Union Maids at e5.
Union Maids is a 1976 American documentary film directed by Jim Klein,
Julia Reichert and Miles Mogulescu. It was nominated for an Academy Award
for Best Documentary Feature. The film was based on the three women from
Chicago in the labor history book Rank and File by Staughton and Alice Lynd.
www.facebook.com/events/1405580749748564

*China Discussion Group*
*China's Migrant Workers*
Thursday, March 12th - 7pm
A Presentation and Discussion led by Luo Xiaoping
Assistant professor, Zhejiang Ocean University

Over the past 30 years, around 300 million men and women have moved from
China's farms to its factories, industrial plants and construction sites,
in one of humanity's greatest migrations. Luo Xiaoping, a graduate of the
Academy of Marxism, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and currently a
visiting scholar at Boston University, and herself a child of farmers, will
examine this phenomenon, some of the extraordinary challenges that have
accompanied it, and efforts to address them.
www.facebook.com/events/899271303426562

*Mass Action and the Growing Resistance*
Saturday, March 14th - 3-5pm

We are living through turbulent times. From the Arab spring to Occupy Wall
Street and occupations throughout the country, from the labor uprising in
Wisconsin to the national uprising of the Black Lives Matter movement,
youth and working class people have decided that enough is enough. Folks
are taking matters into their own hands and fighting back. As this happens
the road forward to empowerment and victories is opening up. In the current
times the question of mass action and building mass social movements is
posed sharply. Join a discussion of strategy and tactics in the fight to
organize the growing resistance to the assault on our rights and interests
as we move forward in struggle. Presentation by John Harris of the
Communist Party.
www.facebook.com/events/789891151101407
  *Sunday Film & Discussion Night*
*Commissar*
Sunday, March 15th - 6pm

In extraordinary drama set against the Russian Civil War, Commissar is a
"brave, humane, and powerful work" (The New York Times) that tells the
story of Klavdia Vavilova, a fierce Red Army woman warrior who accidentally
puts herself ahead of the needs of the Revolution - by becoming pregnant.
Serious questions are raised regarding women in combat. Vavilova's
superiors commandeer a room for her with Yefim, a Ukrainian Jewish
tinsmith, his wife and six children. Yefim is outraged that yet another
burden has been placed upon his family by the fledgling Soviet government.
But Bolshevik doctrinaire and persecuted Russian Jew soon discover they
have more in common than they knew. When her baby arrives and her old unit
returns, Vavilova faces the hardest choice of her life: Either cast aside
motherhood for revolutionary martyrdom, or remain with her new-born son and
run the same risk of White Army pogroms and Red Army exploitation that
Yefim's family have courageously endured. 110 minutes. In Russian with
English subtitles, black & white. (1967)
www.facebook.com/events/804595066298517
  *Center for Marxist Education Hours*
In addition to our event times we are open the following evenings:
Monday – 4-8
Tuesday – 4-8
Wednesday – 4-8
Check our Facebook to see which other days we will be open this Spring!

The Center has been made possible for over 4 decades by volunteer time and
contributions from you. If you wish to help us keep the Center going and
new books coming in, donations can be made by sending a check made out to
Bookmarx
mailed to:
Center for Marxist Education
PO Box 390459
Cambridge, MA 02139

Center for Marxist Education facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/CenterForMarxistEducation>