[act-ma] 3/10 Hate Crimes in the Heartland: Film Screening and Discussion

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Mar 10 06:29:38 PDT 2015

/*Hate Crimes in the Heartland: */
*Film Screening and Discussion*

Tuesday, March 10, 2015
4:00 - 6:00 pm
Ames Courtroom, Austin Hall
Harvard Law School
1515 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA

/Hate Crimes in the Heartland/ is an award winning documentary film and
community outreach project that explores our national epidemic of hate
crimes through the lens of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Here two crimes, over 90
years apart, are impacting human rights, media, crime, race and
punishment in communities today.

The film begins in Tulsa, where two white men drove through the
African-American Greenwood neighborhood targeting blacks at random,
killing three and leaving two others in critical condition in 2012. The
film follows the murders, social media uproar, manhunt, capture and
prosecution of two suspects who faced the death penalty.

Like no other documentary exploring this topic, /Hate Crimes in the
Heartland/ exposes current and past hate crimes in our nation,
especially the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot in which Black Wall Street was
burned to a cinder, 10,000 were made homeless and up to 300 perished at
the hands of a white mob. /Heartland/ exposes how racial animosity still
haunts American culture by exploring the most violent race riot in our
history. Set in the same Tulsa neighborhood, the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot
brings the thorny lessons of the past into the still surging river of
present-day unrest.

Post-screening discussion including:

  * *Rachel Lyon*, Film Director/Producer
  * *Steven Hawkins*, Executive Director of Amnesty International
  * *Reggie Turner*, Founder of The Tulsa Project and Associate Producer

Moderated by *Professor Charles J. Ogletree, Jr.*

Co-sponsored by Amnesty International

*RSVP Here
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001YYMCtXrOC0PaOqQazTzs1B9VuxL8sFrc3EZxTJL1DIGU1qB-oHbfv3cOQn0TtgG1xJnBx3I_ZOwjVqIahrOZ97wK1-yGmLLofxaZYUaioGRoU6ea-oQgn8-qH02O95IQ3NKX1behicVTpVNhfnn8KVfxg6FPCb7-OploV7T_kKEULav9zcMfpNXOslWIbOheDnsXVKjAKus7ceX4lz0eC8saVHfUBrHsIylODhNm2Bh2gGc9TRgICVUKnRERl4synexsdb2d2yfgyRXK3YWqs3mhI6qfzxmp&c=SdiJXBsFEIvKgd9MnNO826h0N97ovHHpg3yJReJJOIGfeorz7Y3ACw==&ch=9wceKAfHV_I9dqyUM_OdouVI1s3XNZez6wGquINInqbJ-l0xtteoZA==>

* /*www.charleshamiltonhouston.org
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001YYMCtXrOC0PaOqQazTzs1B9VuxL8sFrc3EZxTJL1DIGU1qB-oHbfv-GqS2avyXihdZC9wTViNh9jcvRkI2LoGWNtjuXlpogmLy7tmMmEvuwisbdiOsNL7KQEgpSKLO9wUJC3zXKyrFzbnZvz-lE58QV8x88c0MvO9gr88E3NrDZ0k9YpvnfjKq90F6oSMMZD&c=SdiJXBsFEIvKgd9MnNO826h0N97ovHHpg3yJReJJOIGfeorz7Y3ACw==&ch=9wceKAfHV_I9dqyUM_OdouVI1s3XNZez6wGquINInqbJ-l0xtteoZA==>*/**