[act-ma] Jan 14: Addiction and the Changing Context of Treatment - with Rep. Liz Malia and Friends

Sarah Byrnes sbyrnes.ips at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:03:03 PST 2016

*At the Jamaica Plain ForumThursday, January 14, 7pm*
*First Church Unitarian, Jamaica Plain*
*6 Eliot Street, JP 02130*
*RSVP on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/events/444246825777213/>*

[image: Hijacked Brains.png]
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=ENms847_F2XNBgyImVdjyg>Most of us know
someone impacted by addiction - perhaps for you it's a friend, family
member, or even yourself. This widespread epidemic is hurting individuals,
families and communities near and far.

But while many of us are aware of the skyrocketing trends in addiction and
prescription drug abuse, *we're less aware of new breakthroughs in the
scientific understanding of addiction and treatment. *JP
​resident ​
​
​
​
Dr. Robin Barnes, M.D., is on the forefront of new research in this area.
Robin has been a primary care physician treating people with addiction at
the Cambridge Health Alliance for more than twenty years, and she shares
her scientific knowledge and experience in a newly published book: Hijacked
Brains: The Experience and Science of Chronic Addiction.
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=oV1xQgAMXCMOpaPyXkri_Q>

On Thursday, January 14 at the JP Forum we'll hear from Robin and a panel
of other distinguished guests with a range of experience on this topic:

   - *MA State Representative Liz Malia* (D-Jamaica Plain), House Chair of
   the Joint Committee on Mental Health and Substance Use
   - *Honorable John E. McDonald, Jr.*, Boston Municipal Court, East Boston
   Drug Court Division
   - *Windia Rodriguez*, North East and Boston Regional Coordinator of
   Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery (MOAR)
   - *Henrietta Robin Barnes, M.D.*, JP resident, primary care physician,
   and author of the newly released *Hijacked Brains: The Experience and
   Science of Chronic Addiction*

Hope you can join us for what promises to be an informative and inspiring
event. RSVP here on Facebook
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=opOlyjCgJ3XBKMI_0punfQ>.
*​​C​​oming Up...* Film Screening: This Changes Everything

*Monday, January 11, 6:30pm - 8:30pm*
*AMC Lowes Boston Common 19 & IMAX*
*175 Tremont Street, Boston MA*
*Tickets Required! Buy yours here. Cost: $11*
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=XjZ-d5dvLVOA-VfPR0JAlw>

What if confronting the climate crisis is the best chance we’ll ever get to
build a better world? Filmed over 211 shoot days in nine countries and five
continents over four years, This Changes Everything is an epic attempt to
re-imagine the vast challenge of climate change. Directed by Avi Lewis, and
inspired by Naomi Klein’s international non-fiction bestseller This Changes
Everything, the film presents seven powerful portraits of communities on
the front lines, from Montana’s Powder River Basin to the Alberta Tar
Sands, from the coast of South India to Beijing and beyond. *Promoted by
Grassroots International and co-hosted by Alternatives for Community &
Environment*
Science, Addiction and the Changing Context of Treatment – with Rep. Liz
Malia and Friends

*Thursday, January 14, 7pm - 9pm*
*First Church UU JP, 6 Eliot Street*
*RSVP on Facebook <http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=PUZ0yyVKajPhbaFxE2wL-A>*

Today in Massachusetts, opiates kill three people per day. Join us at the
JP Forum on January 14 for a conversation about new approaches to addiction
and treatment. We’ll learn that while headlines have focused on the growing
numbers of overdose deaths from opiates and the related trend of
prescription drug abuse, there have been dramatic shifts in our
understanding of both addiction and treatment options. Our panel will
include Massachusetts Representative Liz Malia, Judge John E. McDonald, Jr.
of the East Boston Drug Court, Windia Rodriguez of the Massachusetts
Organization for Addiction Recovery, and JP resident Henrietta Robin
Barnes, MD, author of the newly released book Hijacked Brains: The
Experience and Science of Chronic Addiction
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=KQzljlLOq0WeemJW59NDfA>.
Managing Time Mindfully: A Workshop/Retreat Led by Pam Kristan

*Saturday, January 30, 10am - 4pm *
*First Church UU JP, 6 Eliot Street *
*Come for the full event or any part *
*Good will donation requested*

Life is a gift whose moments are shaped by time management choices. When we
manage mindfully, we make the most of those choices. Mindful management
loosens the hold of distressing feelings such as anxiety or guilt from not
doing enough, and despair from feeling powerless to make real change.
Games, exercises, and discussions at the retreat will help you dissolve
individual and culturally received patterns that no longer serve, practice
new ways of being, thinking, and feeling, give substance to visions for
yourself and the world, and lay groundwork for continuing the work. *"There
is so little time, we must go slowly" ~ traditional Taoist saying*
Save the Date: State of Our Neighborhood 2016

*Thursday, April 7, 2016*
*Location TBA - Stay Tuned for Details!*

------------------------------
Stay in the know! Please save info at jamaicaplainforum.org as a contact to
ensure delivery to your inbox.

Please *foward this email* to your friends, family, co-workers.

[image: Facebook Icon]
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=oVYfBMkrgomQoLagSewotA>Please *"Like" us
and invite your friends
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=Xh6gJ5dYPyDnz6CBAJxgMw>* on Facebook

[image: Twitter Icon]
<http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=X7Y2tznAquL-eYVAinxHQQ>And please* follow JP
Forum <http://act.ips-dc.org/site/R?i=sXnITYx3Dbs2Fh9f-bMD_w> on Twitter* and
tweet and retweet about these great events!