[act-ma] FW: Boston Remembers: Hiroshima - Nagasaki - Ferguson - Orlando

Kevin Heaton kevwsc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:24:41 PDT 2016

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 00:06:42 -0500
To: kevwsc at hotmail.com
Subject: Boston Remembers: Hiroshima - Nagasaki - Ferguson - Orlando
From: info at justicewithpeace.org

        Boston Remembers: Hiroshima - Nagasaki - Ferguson - Orlando

Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm

First Church, Boston • 66 Marborough Street • (procession to Boston Common) • Boston

Stop gun violence! Stop racialized police violence! Stop preparing for nuclear war!

Violence and racism seem to be stalking our society everywhere today.   From the atomic attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, to the police killing in Ferguson, Missouri, to the recent killing of 49 victims in Orlando, Florida, the ongoing spiral of violence reveals a dark cloud over our society. Rampant gun violence and mass killings in the United States, the continuing hatred facing the LGBT+ community, police brutality in minority communities facing unemployment, poor schools and poor housing, and today's wars and $1 trillion nuclear weapons buildup, are all symptoms of violence closely tied with racism in our society.

The term “senseless act of violence” is often used to describe these catastrophes because they evoke feelings of numbing hopelessness in many people around the world. During the solemn reflection period that follows each tragedy, politicians and high-ranking government officials offer their solidarity, but avoid making bold decisions to move society off the path of self-destruction.

To underscore the need for immediate action, Massachusetts Peace Action will stage a procession and outdoor commemoration events in Boston with music, dance, and speakers, in order to stimulate a public dialogue about the need to abolish nuclear weapons, the necessity for more stringent gun control, and the need for top to bottom overhaul in our policing.

The Boston event will take place on Tuesday, August 9, marking the 71st anniversary of the atomic attack on Nagasaki as well as the second anniversary of the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson. We invite everyone to participate.

Peace groups, people of faith, and communities across Massachusetts have organized events during Hiroshima/ Nagasaki Week (August 5-9, 2016).  See the Massachusetts Calendar of Hiroshima-Nagasaki Week Events and read our Call to Action.

Contact: 617-354-2169 or info at masspeaceaction.org with questions or to connect and exchange ideas.

Cosponsors: Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom - Boston Branch, Global Zero Boston, American Friends Service Committee, New England Peace Pagoda, Louis D. Brown Peace Institute, First Church of Boston

Featured Speakers

Tina Chéry, Louis D. Brown Peace Institute

Rev. Paul Robeson Ford, Union Baptist Church, Cambridge

Yuichi Moroi, Meiji University, School of Global Japanese Studies

Rosemary Kean, First Church of Boston

Carl Williams, ACLU of Massachusetts

Tim Bullock, New England Peace Pagoda

Guntram Mueller, Massachusetts Peace Action

Jordan Berg-Powers, Mass Alliance

Ofelia Cohen-Odiaga, Global Zero Boston

Jonathan King, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Performers

Soran Bushi Japanese Folk Dancers, Showa Academy

Taiko Drummers

John Loretz, Anti-Nuclear folksinger

Chorus Boston

Sofia Wolman, Aisling Peartree, and Friends

Upcoming Events:

            Boston Remembers: Hiroshima - Nagasaki - Ferguson - Orlando

            Tuesday, August 9, 2016 - 3:00pm

            First Church, Boston

            Boston

            Boston City Council Hearing on BU Bioterror Labs

            Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 6:00pm

            Boston City Hall

            Boston

      More Peace and Justice Events.    How to Submit Events

Newsletter: UJP

      Unsubscribe from this newsletter