[act-ma] DIGITAL SECURITY 101 - Wed., Nov. 30th, 2016 @ Sprout, 339R Summer Street, Somerville – 6-9pm – free

James O'Keefe jokeefe at jamesokeefe.org
Mon Nov 14 10:49:19 PST 2016

Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 @ Sprout, 339R Summer Street, Somerville –
6-9pm – free

DIGITAL SECURITY 101

Mass surveillance of the public, targeted surveillance of minorities,
corporate surveillance of consumers… It seems like there is a lot to be
afraid of these days, with every move we make being tracked and documented
for future reference. It's clear that our digital communications are simply
not secure unless we go out of our way to defend our human right to privacy.

One way to become strong is to arm ourselves with information and skills.
Despite the scary state of the world, there are things we can do to empower
ourselves from the surveillance machine: We can embrace cryptography and
defend our right to free speech. And what better setting to do that in than
to meet other people over a slice of pizza who want to discuss such issues
and take action into our own hands?

A CryptoParty (aka Encryption Potluck Night) is a space to hang out and
teach each other practical tools of digital security, such as how to set up
email encryption on your computer and how to browse the web anonymously.
Don't know much about computers? Don't worry! We will use accessible
language and help you along every step of the way. Bring your questions.
Bringing a computer isn't mandatory to participate. There is lots more
conversation to be had as well. We welcome experts and other curious people
who want to have detailed, technical conversations about cryptography,
computer science, and technology. A goal of the CryptoParty is that people
leave with actively implemented encryption tools on their devices to go
start using in the real world.

Schedule:

Here are a few topics we'd like to cover this month (we were inspired by
Noisebridge
<https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Trump_Preparedness:_Digital_Security_101>):

   - Around 6:30 we will start introductions, where everyone can say what
   they're interested in learning / what they're available to teach / what
   topics you want to discuss (cuz there's a lot to say about crypto!)
   - Threat identification
   - Choosing good passwords and using password managers (+ two-factor
   authentication)
   - Disk encryption for your devices
   - Using https and installing HTTPS Everywhere
   - Using Tor
   - Using secure Skype/phone/text replacements
   - Smart phone security

Potluck snacks/BYOB. Kids welcome to join.

If you want to prepare before coming, you can find some encryption how-to
guides here: https://www.cryptopartyatx.org/?page=1&os=win&js=auto-yes Also
check out EFF's Surveillance Self-Defense Guide: https://ssd.eff.org/

We are always seeking “Crypto Angels” who would like to share their
knowledge and lead small workshops on specific topics. If you're interested
in helping out at future events, come on by and meet us!
peace,

James
--
James O'Keefe
w: jamesokeefe.org <https://www.jamesokeefe.org/>  e:

Warning: This communication may be monitored and collected without consent,
in secret, by the NSA, other intelligence agencies and corporations.
Additionally, anything that you send me is likely to receive the same
treatment.  Please encrypt your communications well.  They hate that.  See
https://prism-break.org/ for a list of tools you can use.