[act-ma] 4/24 Pastors for Peace Cuba event with special guests

July 26th Coalition info at july26.org
Wed Apr 19 17:33:02 PDT 2017

Nancy Kohn writes

​Friends:​

At the bottom is
​a​
link to a flier about the Cuba event
​happening next Monday​
.
​Should be a great program, especially for young people of color
considering medical school....

​
Pastors for Peace Caravan
​
will be at First Baptist Church
​ at 633 Centre St.​
in JP on Monday, April 24th from
​6:30​
​8:30​
​or 9:00 ​
p.m.
​ (Note the time change -- to accommodate Congressman Jim McGovern's
schedule)​

We are thrilled to have Diana Gutierrez, a recent graduate of the Latin
American School of Medicine in Havana, as our main speaker.
​In December, ​
Diana returned to her home in Queens from the Standing Rock reservation
in North Dakota where she put her medical skills to good use to serve
the water protectors there.
​ Diana is featured in a film called Community Doctors
​:​
http://communitydoctorsfilm.com/ <http://communitydoctorsfilm.com/>​

​It's also great news that Congressman Jim McGovern has agreed to join
us on the 24th to discuss his recent trip to the island. He has led the
fight in Congress for normalization and helped train some of us to do
effective advocacy to end the travel ban and blockade. Hopefully, he
will also discuss the on-going fight over a healthcare plan in Congress.

  I just got word that Miguel Fraga, the First Secretary at the Cuban
Embassy in DC will be there as well.

    ​
    Also speaking will be John Waller,current coordinator of the
    IFCO/Pastors for Peace Friendshipment Caravans to Cuba. He
    has coordinated 10 such caravans. He was formerly part of the
    national leadership of the British Cuba Solidarity Campaign and has
    visited Cuba 15 times since 1991. Johnhas also written extensively
    on Cuba’s outstanding approach to delivering quality healthcare to
    all its citizens.

    ​​
    It has been two years since President Obama began moves to normalize
    relations with Cuba.Since then we have seen Cuba removed from the
    State Sponsors of Terrorism list, the reopening of embassies in the
    U.S. and Cuba, an expansion of the categories of people who can
    travel to Cuba with a government license, and some limited steps to
    ease the blockade.  (Of course, the Cuban 5 also won their freedom!)
    However, the ban on unlicensed travel and the key measures of the
    economic blockade remain in place.
    ​
    Those policies and Cuba's unique contribution in the health care
    field will be the main focus of the event Monday night, April 24th.

    ​P​
    lease mark your calendar and
    ​help us spread the word​
    .
    ​

    One other thing -- JP Licks is donating 2 big tubs of ice cream. ​

    In solidarity,

    Nancy

Link to the flyer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahqfkimi8r2ln5f/PFP%20Monday%20evening%202017%20flyer.docx?dl=0