[act-ma] 4/28 Fixit Clinic in Alston Honan Library

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Apr 27 09:23:08 PDT 2018

Harvard’s Fixit Clinic Builds Reuse Culture

*/Next Clinic Saturday, 4-28-18, Honan Allston BPLibrary/*
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZclG6YI3221ttofBquYsEqX9ZqkUN-jAFKdOqYcywLLS9Hw/viewform?c=0&w=1>

Cabot Science Library and Harvard Recycling co-hosted over 20 Fixit
Clinic coaches to help members of the Harvard community learn how to
repair clothing, appliances, furniture, and audio equipment at the
first-ever Fixit Clinic at Harvard University February 13, 2018. M.I.T.
has hosted the clinics since 2011, and this year Harvard Recycling
sponsored Clinics at the Honan-Allston Public Library and Brighton’s
Presentation School Foundation Community Center. We hope to run another
Clinic at the Cabot next Fall.

Clothing repairs included patches, zipper fixes, a zipper installation,
and a re-glued shoe buckle. Electrical fixes included several lamps, a
flashlight and an electric toothbrush. We rescued many other items,
yielding an overall repair average of about 50% with another 25% needing
a part which the owner planned to get later.

We were lucky to have the presence of Peter Mui, an MIT alum now living
in Berkeley CA, founder of Fixit Clinics
http://fixitclinic.blogspot.com/. Peter came from California to spread
his inspirational “We-can-fix-this!” gospel at Harvard. He also exhorts
producers to design for durability and repairability. In Peter’s words,
“A Fixit Clinic is a party for fixers and the public can crash it.” WGBH
aired this video
<https://news.wgbh.org/2017/04/26/science-and-technology/fixit-clinics-help-people-revive-their-broken-items>from
M.I.T. last year.

Deep thanks to our Cabot Science Library hosts SUE BERSTLER, AMY van
EPPS, ROBYN ROSENBERG, RON LACEY and others. Thanks also to ROB HART of
the Physics Teaching Lab who brought his amazing caddy crammed with
useful and exotic tools and hardware up from his first floor lab.
Special thanks also to illustrious coaches who lugged their tools and
hardware to Harvard, including Jerusha Achterberg, Stuart Cody, John
Pelletier,  Ray Pfau, Brian Saper, and Joe Wooters! Read more about such
skill-building do-it-yourself events, and check out this article about
Fixit Clinic’s close cousins, Repair Cafés, here.

---