[act-ma] One local Cuba event postponed replaced by another National Event

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed Apr 8 06:28:39 PDT 2020

The local MAPA webinar has been postponed (see below)

Meanwhile check out the national one below.

Also after that see

[Article] Cuban docs fighting coronavirus around world, defying US
US-Cuba Friendshipement Caravan still happening (on-line!)

Watch at your own risk! Harvard DRCLAS presents a US-Cuban Relations in
the time of COVID-19

Latest news about Cuba and the COVID-19, Thursday, April 9. 8:00 pm (Eastern)
Register for Thursday, April 9th Virtual Conference
COVID-19 Pandemic: Cuba Shows That International Solidarity is the Answer!

Please join us for a special solidarity webinar to learn about how Cuba is putting human needs ahead of profits in the fight against COVID-19.

Panelists will discuss

     Cuba’s history of medical internationalism;
     how Cuba is fighting COVID-19 at home -- health care as a right;
     learn how Cuba is developing effective new medications such as Interferon Alpha 2-B; and
     how Cuba is sending medical teams to Italy, the Caribbean and dozens of countries.

Webinar 1: Thursday, April 9,
8:00 PM (Eastern), 5:00 PM (Pacific)
Register for Thursday, April 9th Virtual Conference
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001lDPgo_PbghZeWPi8mcN-e2aQoqIuXiViybeyb26Fz4ERmcJ-utphvFn7rqU9ytmOAPdK-2Rus1M1vH7ne1uDodPljMDcmiDd-0Q8AjajD3LdQ37n7Pr00JBK7P8P-p8HlNKzr7sWAv79nycmfichBFkDHxwJ4e9OVi5SVBxmtCbKobh9tBQJ7mu2eO9qs0Hm&c=4pKp8T4ikuMAmLXtZzz_aGpaNED-U-U89D0HTo4qSkgv6-B8fV45HQ==&ch=GdcjRFo9OPmtgegN8FcDH4FQgi_keKqKBY3jQk5q18M3ib-TzBUDug==>

Co-Chairs:
Alison Bodine - Fire This Time, Movement for Social Justice, Vancouver, Canada
Claudia de la Cruz - Executive Director, The People’s Forum, New York City

Speakers

     Ambassador José Cabañas — Cuban Embassy, Washington, DC

     Dr. Helen Yaffe — Lecturer in Economic and Social History, University of Glasgow, Author, Che Guevara: The Economics of Revolution; We Are Cuba!; Cuba’s Contribution to Combating COVID-19 (Yale University Press blog)

     Dr. John Kirk —  Department of Spanish and Latin American, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canadian authority on Cuban Medical Internationalism. Featured on PBS Nova program “Cuba’s Cancer Hope.”

     Dr. Alexa Weber-- Circulo Bolivariana “Negra Hipolita”On the current health care situation in Venezuela and opposition to the latest U.S. threats and sanctions.

     Dr. Isaac Saney — Co-chair, Canadian Network on Cuba. Prospects for a Campaign to Access Cuba's Interferon Alpha 2B Recombinant and other medical assistance to treat COVID-19

Approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour for presenters
followed by 45 minutes - 1 hour for Q&A

For TechSupport contact:zoomsupport at us-cubanormalization.org

In Solidarity,
Organizing Committee,
International Conference for the Normalization of US-Cuba Relations
us-cubanormalization.org

New York-New Jersey Cuba Sí Coalition
cubasinynjcoalition.org

End All Economic and Travel Sanctions Against Cuba!
Return Guantanamo Territory to Cuba!
Stop US “Regime Change” Policy Against Cuba!

Lift the Sanctions Now - Stop Coronavirus Lee Schlenker Our presenter
will be Lee Schlenker is regional organizer with Witness for Peace New
England, based in Boston. Schlenker, a graduate in Latin American Urban
Studies from Middlebury College, is a dynamic and bilingual researcher,
community organizer and solidarity worker with experience living and
working in the United States, Cuba and Mexico. Currently based in Boston
as a regional organizer with Witness for Peace New England, he is a
strong believer in worker-owned cooperatives, participatory community
planning, international solidarity movements, and the ongoing
construction of an urban commons. Lee is a former Cuba International
Team Member with Witness for Peace, having facilitated and coordinated
25+ people-to-people solidarity delegations to Cuba in partnership with
the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Center in Havana.

     Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 7 PM – 8 PM
     Sign up to attend at
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AyyZWpTJTG2HNqPI-9IcNA
<https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AyyZWpTJTG2HNqPI-9IcNA?fbclid=IwAR1dhEuBqy8sgKAyiQ9AeBhvpEdgwregJnAKtAyhVUbtxbZqUEUNmVK-u70>.
You'll receive the access codes by email. The event will also be
livestreamed on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/masspeaceaction/live_videos/.
https://www.facebook.com/events/238250280563146/ Third of four webinars
on the impact of US sanctions on four nations' coronavirus response.

Cuban docs fighting coronavirus around world, defying US

https://apnews.com/98cfdbf5c4a62a40eba648723e452f3e

US-Cuba Friendshipement Caravan still happening (on-line!)
And we need your support!
IFCO/Pastors for Peace
US-Cuba Friendshipment Caravan
UPDATE

THE 31th US-CUBA FRIENDSHIPMENT CARAVAN

IS COMING TO YOUR COMMUNITY

AND YOU CAN PARTICIPATE,
AT HOME!

As part of the national ‘lowering the curve’, IFCO is substituting
webinars and virtual gatherings for this spring’s Friendshipment
Caravan. Events were planned in 50 cities, and we know that activists
and people of faith are disappointed – and relieved – at this news.

We share the relief – and urge you to keep safe, keep social distancing
and wash your hands. But we also share the frustration.

We spent the fall and winter organizing the 31st US-Cuba Friendshipment
Caravan. IFCO works with activists and people of faith all over the US
(and internationally) to lead the organizing against the Blockade. It's
important, Why? Because the Blockade Kills – Cubans, but also people
here in the US. That's why we continue our action/education project,
Pastors for Peace and the US-Cuba Friendshipment Caravans.

But the Caravan is changed -- we’re creating webinars and virtual
meetings.  Now you can participate – wherever you are located and as you
stay at home. We want you to know just how this Blockade affects you and
your community. For example, right now, we’re being ‘blockaded’ from
Cuba’s interferon alpha-2b, a medication used for treating coronavirus
in Cuba, Italy and more countries every day.

As these webinars become available, we’ll keep you posted about how you
can connect, on-line, with IFCO staff and with other activists.

Obviously, this change of plans has an impact on IFCO’s budget planning.
The Caravan organizing was done last fall and winter – and the income to
support that work is usually donated by folks who come to events in the
50 cities. This money is used not only for the direct costs of the
materials and preparation, but supports all our organizing work.

We know the corona virus has a profound impact on our country’s economy,
but if you can, please make a special contribution now. Donate here.
Make the gift you would have made if you had been present at a Caravan
event. (Remember, they’re now tax-deductible)
With your help, we can lift the blockade – on Cuba and on ourselves --
maybe in time to get some of Cuba’s life-saving medicine used to treat
coronavirus.

At a "traditional" Caravan event, we'd pass the hat, and you'd write a
check. Make your donation here.
Free tee shirt for every $50 donation (or more)
be sure to tell us what size.
Donate here.
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0019HkoJQeCZvsULrqP_2U4S3DDgOgC5UUKW1M-Y0WBLV0OxUnTSnsytCgm4KvHzoTGL9eNSZJY4TBkMofsLrYx473lYu1pHYbzHjXZSdV-L26dOKisklG1G6XMc4MzRIOavtfhSAdMTuE1Rh274mcKajonMUPhugMzuw5tcnNwwWqcsjRupucLXpr6RhVciUls&c=r6A5OBO6wPdxHOf55DpeBFlbly1XbCtzGtoyd3xKdnJu4YWVEa-c0w==&ch=Mqon3c_H1DOXUAp1_5Ing6EL5mMc-IGtsztQhkOxgwI_kYwR1Ir_yQ==>
Follow us on
social media!

Our delegations will begin again when it's safe to travel. Come to Cuba
next fall and winter with IFCO/Pastors for Peace, learn more about this
unique and fascinating country.
Info On Upcoming Delegations
Join Our Mailing List

Facebook ‌ Twitter ‌ Instagram
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0019HkoJQeCZvsULrqP_2U4S3DDgOgC5UUKW1M-Y0WBLV0OxUnTSnsytB6n8E-Y0KPXsmuJTmsFGdOjVu28MXPXw6gixpPNgHkaEW-6Es411r7zS_r5iGNVd0ovY5MsLuq--leQxFnsWsh5APcHFZ7gM4KU-EXM2fdB&c=r6A5OBO6wPdxHOf55DpeBFlbly1XbCtzGtoyd3xKdnJu4YWVEa-c0w==&ch=Mqon3c_H1DOXUAp1_5Ing6EL5mMc-IGtsztQhkOxgwI_kYwR1Ir_yQ==>‌
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0019HkoJQeCZvsULrqP_2U4S3DDgOgC5UUKW1M-Y0WBLV0OxUnTSnsytJkInOlmzLhsOd9L-6EbDmhpIO3_HCe_EZM2QgAretTe2nP6NrSeHfAl5Ew_qrPn0navjwzl7Ewo02JPSAbxiJgifGRAxORLgA==&c=r6A5OBO6wPdxHOf55DpeBFlbly1XbCtzGtoyd3xKdnJu4YWVEa-c0w==&ch=Mqon3c_H1DOXUAp1_5Ing6EL5mMc-IGtsztQhkOxgwI_kYwR1Ir_yQ==>

[Phone: 212-926-5757] [Fax: 212-926-5842]
[E-mail: ifco at ifconews.org] [Website: www.ifconews.org]
[418 West 145th Street, New York, NY 10031]
Facebook ‌ Twitter ‌ Instagram ‌
IFCO | 418 West 145th Street, New York, NY 10031

_______________________________

Watch at your own risk!

  US-Cuban Relations in the time of COVID-19

Friday, April 10, 2020, 12:00pm

    Location:

Zoom Webinar

This event is virtual. To register for this event, please click here
<https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/4415859381551/WN_ag9ZezweQiyxrHaqXnIgyw>.

*Speaker*: Ambassador Jeffrey Delaurentis, Chief of Mission, US Embassy
in Havana, Cuba (2015-2017); Non-Resident Visiting Fellow, DRCLAS Cuba
Studies Program

*Moderator*: Alejandro De la Fuente, Robert Woods Bliss Professor of
Latin American History and Economics; Professor of African and African
American Studies; Chair, Cuba Studies Program; Director, Afro-Latin
American Research Institute

Ambassador *Jeffrey DeLaurentis* served as the first Charge d’Affaires
at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, Cuba, following the re-establishment of
diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba. Prior to taking
up his Cuba post in August 2014, he was Ambassador/Alternate
Representative for Special Political Affairs at the U.S. Mission to the
United Nations. Previously, he served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of
State for the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs, and as Minister
Counselor for Political Affairs and Security Council Coordinator at the
U.S. Mission to the United Nations. Ambassador DeLaurentis began his
Foreign Service career in 1991 as a consular officer in Havana. He
retired from the State Department in August 2018 and is currently a
Distinguished Resident Fellow in Latin American Studies at the Institute
for the Study of Diplomacy and a Centennial Fellow at the Walsh School
of Foreign Service, both at Georgetown University. He is also a Senior
Advisor with the Albright Stonebridge Group, and a Non-resident Visiting
Fellow at the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Cuba
Studies Program at Harvard University. A member of the Council on
Foreign Relations and the American Academy of Diplomacy, Ambassador
DeLaurentis is a graduate of the Georgetown University Walsh School of
Foreign Service and Columbia University Graduate School of International
and Public Affairs.

Presented in collaboration with The Cuban Heritage Collection (CHC),
University of Miami; The Cuban Research Institute (CRI), Florida
International University; and The Cuba Program, ILAS, Columbia
University. Supported by the Ford Foundation.