[act-ma] Fwd: Today: COVID-19 and Public Health in India

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Apr 19 04:18:30 PDT 2020

alliancesouthasia at lists.riseup.net writes

Solidarity across Distances
Lectures in the Times of COVID-19

*COVID-19 and Public Health in India*
A lecture by and conversation with
*Dr. Abhay Shukla, M.D.*
Jan Swasthya Abhiyan/People’s Health Movement
Sunday, April 19, 11am EDT/8am PDT/8:30PM IST
Join us on Zoom - *https://mit.zoom.us/j/94179138406*
<https://mit.zoom.us/j/94179138406> - Password: *solidarity*

How is India dealing with the public health crisis created by COVID-19?
What are the roles of public and private healthcare providers? Are some
states handling the crisis better than others? What can we learn from
their experiences? How do we handle the challenges of surveillance and
control involving tracing, testing, isolation and quarantine? With
pre-existing prevalence of malnutrition now coupled with loss of income
faced by large sections of the population, how are India’s poor and
other vulnerable groups faring in this crisis. Most importantly, what is
the right way forward? Dr. Shukla will address these and other topics in
his talk and discussion.

*
*
*Dr Abhay Shukla *is a public health physician, who has been working on
health issues in collaboration with people’s movements and grassroots
NGOs in Western India since over two decades. He is Senior Programme
Coordinator at* SATHI *Pune, along with being a member of the* National
Health Mission Advisory Group for Community Action (AGCA), *as well
as having membership of the Core group on Health of the* National Human
Rights Commission (NHRC). *He is one of the national convenors of *Jan
Swasthya Abhiyan (JSA or People’s Health Movement – India) *and was
centrally involved in organization of the* National Right to Health Care
campaign *during 2003-04*. *Dr Shukla has co-edited and authored the
books ‘Review of Health Care in India’, ‘Report on Health Inequities in
Maharashtra’, ‘Health System in India – Crisis and Alternatives’
and ‘The Rights Approach to Health and Health Care’.
Dr. Shukla’s recent opinion piece, *"We must give highest priority to
strengthening the public health system,"*
<https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/coronavirus-public-health-system-6329470/> appeared
in the Indian Express.

_____________________________________

Our inaugural speaker P. Sainath was interviewed on NDTV
<https://www.ndtv.com/video/news/left-right-centre/cotton-is-hard-to-digest-p-sainath-s-grim-warning-to-government-545767> by
Nidhi Razdan on April 15. Please be sure to watch the video "Cotton Is
Hard To Digest": P Sainath's Grim Warning To Government
<https://www.ndtv.com/video/news/left-right-centre/cotton-is-hard-to-digest-p-sainath-s-grim-warning-to-government-545767>.

PARI has published several new reports on the impact of COVID-19 on
rural India. PARI’s COVID-19 coverage master page is available here:
https://ruralindiaonline.org/articles/covering-the-human-cost-of-covid-19/
<https://ruralindiaonline.org/articles/covering-the-human-cost-of-covid-19/>
_____________________________________

About *Solidarity across Distances:* The current pandemic around the
world has created a public health crisis, gravely exacerbating a
pre-existing economic crisis. Governments around the world have also
used this as an opportunity to amass more authoritarian power,
aggravating a crisis of democracy. While we maintain physical
distances, resistance to these triple crises cannot wait for the
pandemic to end. Solidarity across Distances is a lecture series
in which we plan to bring critical voices of information and analysis.
And bring people together in solidarity and resistance.

*Write to SolidarityAcrossDistances at gmail.com
<mailto:SolidarityAcrossDistances at gmail.com> *
*to join our mailing list and find out about our future events. *