[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - April 19, 2020

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Apr 19 10:49:48 PDT 2020

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) Events
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

—————————————————————

Since almost all events are online now, Energy (and Other) Events is now virtual and can happen anywhere in the world.  If you know of online events that are happening which may be of interest to the editor of this publication, please let me know.  People are connecting all across the world and I’d be more than happy to help facilitate more of that.

—————————————————————

Mutual Aid Networks

National
Spreadsheet of mutual aid networks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HEdNpLB5p-sieHVK-CtS8_N7SIUhlMpY6q1e8Je0ToY/htmlview

Mutual Aid Networks to Combat Coronavirus
https://itsgoingdown.org/autonomous-groups-are-mobilizing-mutual-aid-initiatives-to-combat-the-coronavirus/

Local
Boston COVID-19 Community Care
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15GYuPYEzBk9KIyH3C3419aYxIMVAsa7BL7nBl9434Mg/edit?usp=sharing

Boston + MA COVID19 Resources
(This is a different Google Doc with a similar name, compiled by the Asian
American Resource Workshop)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-x6vOZKVsla5H363mtdgcyivvLmcx7-f2s6l-O_ba8A/edit?usp=sharing

Cambridge Mutual Aid Network
https://sites.google.com/view/cambridge-nan/home

Mutual Aid Medford and Somerville (MAMAS) network
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1RtYZ1wc8jxcSKDl555WszWhQWlOlSkNnfjIOYV0wXRA/mobilebasic

Food for Free (for Cambridge and Somerville) volunteers to provide lunches for schoolchildren, elderly, and hungry
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSed0cSIoOc7-Fvoms3VHR1Lc44fjql-vTNknz_a-7T_sKDnrw/viewform

My notes to Rebecca Solnit’s A Paradise Built in Hell:  The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster, about how people faced with emergency and disaster usually move towards providing mutual aid, at least until elite panic, a term in disaster studies, kicks in, are available at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2016/07/notes-on-rebecca-solnits-paradise-built.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

Daily Events
Entertainment!!!

————————
Monday, April 20
————————

12pm  Covering the Pandemic: Photographers on the Front Lines
2pm  How fast are Algorithms Improving?
4pm  FAST FORUM - NEW DATE & TIME: George Stephanopoulos, ABC News’s Chief Anchor
5pm  Virtual: How to Freak Out Skillfully, and Other Pandemic Survival Skills
6:30pm  The Economics of a Green Recovery
7pm  Some Assembly Required: Decoding Four Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA

————————
Tuesday, April 21
————————

12pm  Virtual Public Lecture: David Moreno Mateos, “How ecosystems recover from ancient human impacts”
12pm  [Virtual] Data Overload: Data, Journalism, & COVID-19
12pm  Pivot: Mixed Reality Live Performance — Online!
12:30pm  Author Talk: Design Justice by Sasha Costanza-Chock
1pm  Alliance for Climate Education Our Climate Our Future Live!
1pm  Beehives & Business:  Why Sustainability Leaders are Bringing Bees to Work
1pm  Critical Health Disparities in the Face of COVID-19
2pm  Telling the full carbon story of your design
2pm  Media Manipulation in an Age of Quarantine
3pm  Connecting to Trees and to Each Other during a Global Pandemic
4pm  BU Online Earth Day 2020
5pm  United Nations Global Consultation: Preparation and Response to Pandemics
6pm  Online Call to Action: Activating Your Local Community Food & Resource Exchange
6pm  EARTH DAY 2020: Massachusetts Can Lead The Nation In The Climate Crisis
7:10pm  Reporter Nights at SPS: Distrusting Science: How We Got This Pandemic

——————————————————
Wednesday, April 22 - Friday, April 24
——————————————————

Earth Day Online
Earth Day Global Climate Strike

——————————
Wednesday, April 22
——————————

7am  En-ROADS Workshop: How Can Economic Stimulus Packages Help Address Climate Change? [Live Online]
9am  Climate Change: How Bad Will it Be, and What Must be Done? Inter-Disciplinary Panels of Leading Experts Answer these Questions on the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day
9:30am  Online Earth Day Celebration and Poetry Contest
10am  Climate Therapy: Facing the Climate Emergency with Margaret Klein Salamon in conversation with David Wallace-Wells and Mary Heglar
10am  Earth Day 50/50: Looking Back, Moving Forward
11:30am  Should Machines Understand Nature to Pass the Turing Test? Co-evolving AI and Systems/Synthetic Biology
12pm  The Post-Virus Economic Recovery Should Be a Green One
12pm  COVID-19 and Climate: Policy & Practice
12pm  Ethical Dilemmas in Mask and Equipment Shortages: Health Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic
12pm  Sunrise Boston Virtual Earth Day!
2pm  50 Years of Earth Day: MIT Perspectives in the Face of Radical Change
4pm  The Future of Food:  Helping the World One Bite at a Time
4:30pm  ONLINE EVENT: Climate, Environment, and the Politics of Public Trust
6pm  A Planet to Win: Why We Need a Green New Deal

—————————
Thursday, April 23
—————————

12pm  Solving the Pandemic and Climate Crises with a Just Transition
12pm  Stop the Money Pipeline
12:15pm  Terrorism and Political Legitimacy
12:30pm  Green Industrial Policy: A Delicate Dance between Socio-Economic and Environmental Objectives
4:30pm  Starr Forum: Rethinking National Security in the Age of Pandemics
5pm  Policing during COVID-19 and The Torture Letters: Reckoning with Police Violence
7:30pm  Mindfulness in a Time of Pandemic

—————————————————
Friday, April 24 – Monday, April 27
—————————————————

Long Now Boston and the City Nature Celebration

—————————
Thursday, April 23
—————————

8pm  Beers and Climate Change

———————
Friday, April 24
———————

12pm  Startup Spotlight 2020 [VIRTUAL]
1pm  Live Webinar: Access Live COVID-19 Data on AtScale
1pm  Starr Forum: Amazon Burning: The Ghost of Climate Future?
2pm  What Is the Cost of Lies? A Discussion with HBO Chernobyl Writer and Creator Craig Mazin
3:30pm  The Smart, Equitable Commonwealth: Co-Creating the Society We Want

—————————
Saturday, April 25
—————————

7pm  Space for Action: Rebuilding a Sustainable World

————————
Sunday, April 26
————————

3pm  MIT IDEAS Virtual Innovation Showcase + Awards 2020

————————
Monday, April 27
————————

12pm  Cyber Security Program Seminar
5pm  Virtual: How to Freak Out Skillfully, and Other Pandemic Survival Skills
7pm  The Firsts:  The Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress

—————————
Tuesday, April 28
—————————

8am  Virtual event: Crossroads 2020 - The Future of Supply Chain Management
12pm  [Virtual] Borderless COVID-19, Restricted Vaccines
12:30pm  Concentration in a Time of Crisis: Concentration by Stefan Van Der Stigchel
1pm  Webinar: How to Win Press For Your Startup
7pm  Real Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition:  A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Notes on Camus’ The Plague
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2020/04/notes-on-camus-plague.html

The Innocent Murderer in Camus’ The Plague
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/15/1937683/-The-Innocent-Murderer-in-Camus-The-Plague

——-
Daily
——-

Sunrise Boston Daily Breakfast Boogie! (April 20 - April 24)
8:30am
Online - Zoom link: http://zoom.us/my/brian.sunrise
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/529278624637010/

Covid-19 got you feeling isolated? Lonely? Wanting to start your day off with some connection, laughs, meditation or poetry? Join us for a daily “Breakfast Boogie” hosted by the Member Support Team.

It is so important that we remember and hold onto our connections with one another at a moment in time when we are still going all-out to build a powerful movement to stop climate change. We will be having this gathering on Zoom EVERY WEEK DAY from 8:30-9 am! We may offer different rituals, grounding practices, pair-shares, songs or poetry. Suggestions welcome! Let’s stay grounded and present in community even when we increasingly are apart physically.
Questions: Rosie at rosiemcinnes at gmail.com

———————————

Swing Left Boston Virtual Activism Calendar
https://swingleftboston.org/calendar/category/training-education/

Daily electoral activist events with social distancing kept in mind.

———————————

Entertainment!!!!

Stay At Home Fest - online music and performance events
https://www.stayathomefest.com/#events

Here Are All the Live Streams & Virtual Concerts to Watch During Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9335531/coronavirus-quarantine-music-events-online-streams

A List Of Live Virtual Concerts To Watch During The Coronavirus Shutdown
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/816504058/a-list-of-live-virtual-concerts-to-watch-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

Watch These Livestreamed Concerts During Your Social Distancing
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/all-musicians-streaming-live-concerts.html]

Virtual Art Project (VAP-IT!)
https://sgimproviz.wixsite.com/virtualartproject

Free virtual music, museums, and art round-up
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/16/1927955/-Your-mega-round-up-of-free-music-museums-and-art-to-check-out-virtually-amid-coronavirus-outbreaks

300,000 ebooks to download for free from the NY Public Library
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/you-can-now-download-over-300-000-books-from-the-nypl-for-free-031820

Free streaming services
https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/streaming-services-free-trial-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Free nonprofit webinars
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ozk1VfHPYlUC6h0XdDtHpsK-PYq4Y6FTnMPh_LliWwM/edit?ts=5e7b5cdf#gid=0

————————
Monday, April 20
————————

Covering the Pandemic: Photographers on the Front Lines
Monday, April 20
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC25WYCFQp85srLWZcIKV30w

While many journalists have found ways to cover the pandemic from a distance, photographers remain on the front lines. Photos and video stir emotions and can offer important information for viewers. But that work simply cannot be done over the telephone - good photography often means being up-close and personal. So photographers are particularly at risk as all journalists work to inform and educate the public. How are they working in today’s climate? What can they do to stay safe? What strategies can photographers use to address the trauma many will suffer from coming face-to-face with the coronavirus? Join us for a special webinar designed specifically for photojournalists, but of interest to all.

Among those speaking:
Alex Majoli, Magnum Photographer, based in Italy and covering the pandemic for Vanity Fair
Thomas Dworzak, Magnum Photographer, based in Paris
Enri Canaj, Magnum Photographer, based in Greece
Newsha Tavakolian, Magnum Photographer, based in Iran
Bryan Woolston, NPPA, photographer for Reuters, AP, Getty Images

Learn tips from author Judith Matloff of the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma on how to recognize and deal with trauma that may arise from the stresses of COVID-19 coverage

Discover how Magnum agents work with photographers and photo editors from Magnum’s Content Editor, Natalie Ivis and Magnum’s Content Director, Lauren Winfield
Dale Willman, Moderator - Associate Director, Resilience Media Project, Earth Institute, Columbia University, former journalist with NPR, CBS, CNN

Watch the webinar live at the link above. A video of the webinar will be available later next week on the Earth Institute blog, State of the Planet.

Sponsored by The Earth Institute of Columbia University and Magnum Photos. Co-sponsors include the National Press Photographers Association, The Society of Environmental Journalists

————————————

How fast are Algorithms Improving?
Monday, April 20
2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/j/536883569)
Room Description: Password 008943

Speaker: Neil Thompson and Yash Sherry , MIT CSAIL
Abstract: Quantitative analyses of how fast algorithms are improving are usually done ad-hoc. Longer term analyses are quite rare - in fact, almost all use the single example of Linear Solvers. In this paper, we gather data on 127 different algorithm families from more than 40 textbooks and 1000 research papers to present the first comprehensive look at algorithm progress ever assembled. We find that as a whole algorithms have undergone substantial progress, but with huge variation: in some cases, progress rivals those from other important sources (e.g. Moore's Law for computer hardware), but in other cases it shows relatively little progress.

Neil Thompson (http://www.neil-t.com/) Bio: I am an Innovation Scholar at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab and the Initiative on the Digital Economy.

I am also an Associate Member of the Broad Institute. Previously, I was an Assistant Professor of Innovation and Strategy at the MIT Sloan School of Management, where I co-directed the Experimental Innovation Lab (X-Lab), and a Visiting Professor at the Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard. I have advised businesses and government on the future of Moore's Law and have been on National Academies panels on transformational technologies and scientific reliability.

I did my PhD in Business and Public Policy at Berkeley, where I also did Masters degrees in Computer Science and Statistics. I have a masters in Economics from the London School of Economics, and undergraduate degrees in Physics and International Development. Prior to academia, I worked at organizations such as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, Bain and Company, The United Nations, the World Bank, and the Canadian Parliament.

Yash Sherry Bio: Yash Sherry is a Visiting Student/Research Assistant at the SuperTech Lab, MIT CSAIL. He works under the guidance of Dr. Thompson on Algorithm Wiki and Quantum algorithmic analysis. He is currently a CS graduate student at GeorgiaTech where he is specializing in Machine Learning. Prior to this, he has worked on research projects with Stanford and CMU. He has also been a part of Irisys Lab (Korea), Mozilla and Microsoft in different roles. Currently, he is working on a tech startup in Boston that provides software services to student startups.

———————————

FAST FORUM - NEW DATE & TIME: George Stephanopoulos, ABC News’s Chief Anchor
Monday, April 20
4 – 4:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGQSogPqzJrDsiyvPgYx4lok1Ku9Tz7qzqvva6jPbAJKOWRQ/viewform

DETAILS  On Monday, we will be joined by George Stephanopoulos, ABC News Chief Anchor. Stephanopoulos also serves as anchor of Good Morning America and anchor of This Week with George Stephanopoulos. Stephanopoulos will take questions on the current COVID-19 crisis, the role of media in coverage, and the public policy and political implications of the pandemic. Stephanopoulos recently announced that he has tested positive and will reflect on his personal experience. The conversation will be moderated by Mark D. Gearan ‘78, IOP Director.
Please note additional livestream information will be sent on Monday morning. All previous RSVPs are still valid. If you are now able to join the conversation on Monday, RSVP here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGQSogPqzJrDsiyvPgYx4lok1Ku9Tz7qzqvva6jPbAJKOWRQ/viewform
LINK  https://www.facebook.com/events/714304432672022/
CONTACT INFO	cahtey_park at hks.harvard.edu

———————————

Virtual: How to Freak Out Skillfully, and Other Pandemic Survival Skills
Monday, April 20 (More dates through May 25)
5:00pm to 6:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/j/953792615

Even a few weeks ago, who could have imagined that the MIT community would be so abruptly disrupted and dispersed?! The new reality of physical social distancing is necessary for our society, but our need for social connection is as acute as ever—and all the more so as we confront the grief and uncertainty provoked by this pandemic. Fear, excitement, frustration, anxiety, dread, anger, despondency—these are all normal reactions to the situation, but they can be QUITE hard to manage with everything else on our plates! Join us for informal, online chats about managing these and other challenges of this new reality, with strategies to not only survive, but maybe even thrive, in the midst of the chaos.

————————————

The Economics of a Green Recovery
Monday, April 20
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/j/92590305321

Join Stephanie Kelton, Richard Murphy, & Gernot Wagner in conversation with Mark Paul and Billy Fleming.
Presented by the Ian L. McHarg Center for Urbanism and Ecology, and the Socio-Spatial Climate Collaborative, or SC(2)

One of the central, unanswered questions in debates surrounding the Green New Deal and ongoing stimulus negotiations in Congress is: how will we marshal the resources to transform America's economy around its principles of clean energy jobs, justice for frontline communities, and rapid decarbonization? This conversation has begun to take shape in the fields of economics and finance, where green stimulus, industrial policy, and other long-ignored policy levers have once again moved to the center of discourse.
With that in mind, The McHarg Center and SC(2) are thrilled to present "The Economics of A Green Recovery."

On Monday, April 20th, join us at 6pm ET for a moderated discussion between Stephanie Kelton, Richard Murphy, and Gernot Wagner in conversation with Mark Paul and Billy Fleming

Stephanie Kelton, SUNY Stony Brook, is a well-known policy expert who has served as Chief Economist of the US Senate Budget Committee and as Senior Economic Advisor to the presidential campaign of Senator Bernie Sanders. She continues as chair of the Board of Economists for Peace and Security. In 2016, POLITICO recognized her as one of the 50 people across the country who is most influencing the political debate.
Richard Murphy is company secretary of the Green New Deal Group Limited, Professor of International Political Economy, City, University of London, and director of the Corporate Accountability Network. He is a chartered accountant and tax justice advocate based in England.

Gernot Wagner is a clinical associate professor at New York University’s Department of Environmental Studies and associated clinical professor at the NYU Wagner School of Public Service. He writes the Risky Climate column for Bloomberg Green. Prior to joining NYU, Gernot was the founding executive director of Harvard’s Solar Geoengineering Research Program (2016 – 2019).

Mark Paul is a political economist working in the areas of inequality, environmental economics, and applied microeconomics. His research is focused on understanding the causes and consequences of inequality and assessing and designing remedies to address it. Professor Paul is also involved in economic policy in the United States and is currently a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, The Atlantic, Vox, The American Prospect, The Nation, The Hill, and Jacobin, among other publications. Prior to coming to New College he was a Postdoctoral Associate at the Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity at Duke University.
Billy Fleming is Wilks Family Director of the McHarg Center at the University of Pennsylvania. His writing has appeared in the Guardian, Places Journal, Dissent, and Jacobin. He is the co-editor of Design With Nature Now (Lincoln, 2019), An Adaptation Blueprint (Island Press, 2020), and lead author of "The 2100 Project: An Atlas for the Green New Deal."

————————————

Some Assembly Required: Decoding Four Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA
Monday, April 20
7pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/61n821yr/register

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series, the Harvard University Division of Science, and the Cabot Science Library welcome NEIL SHUBIN—bestselling author of Your Inner Fishand professor of organismal biology at the University of Chicago—for a discussion of his latest book, Some Assembly Required: Decoding Four Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA.

About Some Assembly Required
Over billions of years, ancient fish evolved to walk on land, reptiles transformed into birds that fly, and apelike primates evolved into humans that walk on two legs, talk, and write. For more than a century, paleontologists have traveled the globe to find fossils that show how such changes have happened.

We have now arrived at a remarkable moment—prehistoric fossils coupled with new DNA technology have given us the tools to answer some of the basic questions of our existence: How do big changes in evolution happen? Is our presence on Earth the product of mere chance? This new science reveals a multibillion-year evolutionary history filled with twists and turns, trial and error, accident and invention.

In Some Assembly Required, Neil Shubin takes readers on a journey of discovery spanning centuries, as explorers and scientists seek to understand the origins of life's immense diversity.

Editorial Comment:  There is an archive of the Harvard Science Public Talks at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg9yl5lrQ9qkt8BdeIDiNtQ/
There is also an archive of Harvard Book Store book talks at http://www.harvard.com/events/hbs_channel/
and the Tufts Hoch Cunningham Environmental Lectures are available at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPl7SzbHXgIT_J4wgw3VCew
Everything is on the Internet (and everything that isn’t still exists….)

————————
Tuesday, April 21
————————

Virtual Public Lecture: David Moreno Mateos, “How ecosystems recover from ancient human impacts”
Tuesday, April 21
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QgVwdrx2TuSKjRlrfe1HvA

SPEAKER(S)  David Moreno Mateos
DETAILS  Major efforts are being implemented worldwide to restore ecosystems. However, the outcomes of restoration are uncertain. This uncertainty may be rooted in our lack of understanding on the reassembly of ecosystem complexity. Understanding how organisms rebuild their interactions and how functions derived form those interactions emerge is key to both evaluate and design future restoration. This is particularly relevant at the timescale at which ecosystem recovery operates, which may range from centuries to millennia. In this presentation, we will explore current patterns of ecosystem recovery of simple and complex attributes, why restored and undisturbed ecosystems are different, and particularly, why recovery is a long term process. Finally, we will hypothesize potential actions we can use to accelerate the recovery process that will bring more resilient and resistant ecosystems back.
This lecture will be ONLINE ONLY. For security reasons, virtual attendees must register.
LINK  https://www.gsd.harvard.edu/event/virtual-public-lecture-david-moreno-mateos/
CONTACT INFO	For more information, please visit the event webpage. For further questions, please contact events at gsd.harvard.edu

————————————

[Virtual] Data Overload: Data, Journalism, & COVID-19
Tuesday, April 21
12 – 1:15 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/virtual-data-overload-data-journalism-covid-19

SPEAKER(S)  Todd Wallack, Berkman Klein-Nieman Fellow and data journalist at the Boston Globe
Caroline Chen, Healthcare reporter for ProPublica
Armand Emamdjomeh, Assignment editor, graphics at the Washington Post
DETAILS  As people turn to news outlets for information, journalists -- and data journalists in particular -- are under pressure to make sense of droves of complicated information.
Data Overload will discuss the challenges journalists face obtaining, analyzing, and explaining data about the current pandemic.
Todd Wallack, a Berkman Klein-Nieman Fellow and data journalist at the Boston Globe, will be joined by Caroline Chen, who covers health care for ProPublica, and Armand Emamdjomeh, an assignment editor, graphics at the Washington Post.
This event is co-sponsored by the Nieman Foundation.
LINK  https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/virtual-data-overload-data-journalism-covid-19
CONTACT INFO	events at cyber.harvard.edu

——————————

Pivot: Mixed Reality Live Performance — Online!
Tuesday, April 21
12:00pm to 1:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_db9yCPLjSECH335jx-1LpQ

Virtual Open Doc Lab Talk: Lori Landay
What happens to an transdisciplinary performance using VR as a component that was designed for an installation space when it has to move online because of Covid-19? Collaborators at Berklee College of Music feel like they’ve been vaulted into the future, suddenly skipping several iterations between the in-person, in-place project they were planning, and prototypes for bringing live and recorded performance onto a virtual platform. Lori Landay discusses the goals, challenges, and potential solutions of Virtual Dream Machine; it is a story of pivots, improvisation, and creating presence however we can.

Lori Landay is an interdisciplinary teacher, scholar, and artist whose creative and critical work explores themes of transformation in audiovisual cultural forms, technology, and perception. She is Professor of Visual Culture and New Media at Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA, where she teaches courses including “Digital Narrative Theory and Practice,” “Art and Virtual Reality,” “Dance +  Technology Lab,” and “The Language of Film.”  Dr. Landay is the author of two books, I Love Lucy (TV Milestones Series) and Madcaps, Screwballs, and Con Women: The Female Trickster in American Culture, as well as numerous publications on topics including Minecraft, LEGO, virtual subjectivity, digital narrative, silent film, and gender and comedy.  Her new media art has been exhibited at Boston Science Fiction Film Festival, Cyberfest (St. Petersburg, Russia), On the Wall Dance Film Series (Berlin, Germany), and Utopics Swiss Sculpture Exhibition (Biel/Bienne, Switzerland), and won awards such as Best of Show and People’s Choice Awards, New Media Consortium (NMC) Summer Conference Art Show; Best Machinimatography Award, International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Conference SIGVE Group; and First Prize, University of Western Australia 3D Art Challenge. Her interactive new media art installation “ShadowLoop” was included in the AVATARS Exhibit at the Nave Gallery in Somerville, April-May 2019 during Open Studios.

————————————

Author Talk: Design Justice by Sasha Costanza-Chock
Tuesday, April 21
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/1087614844946135/

MIT Press Live! presents an author talk with Sasha Costanza-Chock. Co-Sponsored by AIGA.

About this Event
Join MIT Civic Media professor and Design Justice author Sasha Costanza-Chock to explore how design might be led by marginalized communities, dismantle structural inequality, and advance collective liberation and ecological survival.

About the Book
What is the relationship between design, power, and social justice? “Design justice” is an approach to design that is led by marginalized communities and that aims expilcitly to challenge, rather than reproduce, structural inequalities. It has emerged from a growing community of designers in various fields who work closely with social movements and community-based organizations around the world.

This book explores the theory and practice of design justice, demonstrates how universalist design principles and practices erase certain groups of people—specifically, those who are intersectionally disadvantaged or multiply burdened under the matrix of domination (white supremacist heteropatriarchy, ableism, capitalism, and settler colonialism)—and invites readers to “build a better world, a world where many worlds fit; linked worlds of collective liberation and ecological sustainability.” Along the way, the book documents a multitude of real-world community-led design practices, each grounded in a particular social movement. Design Justice goes beyond recent calls for design for good, user-centered design, and employment diversity in the technology and design professions; it connects design to larger struggles for collective liberation and ecological survival.

Learn more about the book: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/design-justice

———————————

Alliance for Climate Education Our Climate Our Future Live!
Tuesday, April 21
1pm
Online
RSVP at https://secure.everyaction.com/LJ0mGJNpwkOotJgbAxeOPA2

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. Celebrate with ACE.

Play trivia for prizes and participate in Q&A with special guests, including youth climate activists.This event is designed for parents, teachers and students to stream from home.

We’re excited to announce we’ll be joined by climate activist Vic J. Barrett and hip-hop artist Xiuhtezcatl for an interactive Q&A moderated by ACE Fellow Aryaana Khan during our Earth Day livestream event!

———————————

Beehives & Business:  Why Sustainability Leaders are Bringing Bees to Work
Tuesday, April 21
1-2 pm
Online
RSVP at https://bestbees.webinarninja.com/live-webinars/275510/register

Find out what all the buzz is about at a virtual discussion Harvard Business School (HBS) beekeepers, Best Bees. You'll learn about the importance of bees to our food system, economic stability, and environmental resiliency along with bee health challenges and the latest findings on how we can help bees thrive. Plus, HBS, Beacon Capital Partners, and Cushman & Wakefield will share how their beehives support their sustainability goals.

———————————

Critical Health Disparities in the Face of COVID-19
Tuesday, April 21
1pm
Online
RSVP at http://ow.ly/zjpl30qysFH

Speakers include Dr. Thea James of Boston Medical Center, Stan McLaren of Harvard Street Neighborhood Health Center, and Michele Courton-Brown of Quality Interactions.

———————————

Telling the full carbon story of your design
Tuesday, April 21
2 PM Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8653018377889038093

Learn how life cycle assessment (LCA) can help quantify the triple bottom line benefits of green building projects
Beyond just thinking about operational carbon, reducing embodied carbon has become an effective way to reduce a building's overall carbon footprint. This webinar will illustrate how Autocase and OneClick LCA have teamed up to enable design teams to quickly and easily quantify the whole carbon story. Attendees will come away with an understanding of the importance of both embodied and operational carbon plays, how to quantify them, how to make the case for them, and real-world applications.

Our speakers
Dr. Rodrigo Castro is senior life cycle assessment expert at Bionova Ltd. He is an expert in building sustainability with advanced know-how in Life Cycle Assessment, Life Cycle Costing, EN and ISO LCA standards, and their application for embodied and operational carbon.

Sara Kingman is a sustainability engineer at BuroHappold Engineering and is a LEED AP, EcoDistricts AP, and a TRUE Zero Waste Advisor.

Simon Fowell is an economist and account manager at Autocase. He has dedicated the last seven years of his academic and professional career to building a business case for environmental sustainability.

Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
This free webinar will describe how to use best-practice economics and life cycle assessment to evaluate the environmental impact of a high-performance building project through its life cycle, from the sourcing of raw materials to the manufacturing, distribution, use, recycling, and final disposal of the building materials.

———————————

Media Manipulation in an Age of Quarantine
Tuesday, April 21
2pm
Online
RSVP at https://bostonu.zoom.us/meeting/register/up0tde2prz4ogQOjKtejF6G1DcXFXGyGFQ

Joan Donovan, Research Director, Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy and Director of the Technology and Social Change (TaSC) Research Project at the Shorenstein Center, will provide an overview of the issues surrounding “Media Manipulation in an Age of Quarantine,” in a conversation and discussion with COM Dean Mariette DiChristina. Bring your questions!

———————————

Connecting to Trees and to Each Other during a Global Pandemic
Tuesday, April 21
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/connecting-to-trees-and-to-each-other-during-a-global-pandemic-tickets-102612661232

Join David George Haskell, Judith Foster and Jeff Perrin as they discuss the emotional, spiritual, and physical interconnections between trees and humans.

David Haskell is the author of the prize-winning books The Forest Unseen and The Songs of Trees, and is a professor at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN.

Judith Foster has been involved with the environmental movement and the Green Party for 20 years and is Founder of HERO Nurturing Center, Inc., an organization dedicated to educating folks about the healing capacity of nature.

Jeff Perrin is an Associate Professor of Psychology at Lesley University. Centering on aesthetic, spiritual, and experiential engagement, Jeff is primarily interested in exploring the relational unfolding between people and natural places.

———————————

BU Online Earth Day 2020
Tuesday, April 21
4:00 – 5:30 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-university-online-earth-day-2020-tickets-102618617046

Learning from COVID-19: What does it mean for Sustainability, Climate Change, and Resilience?
Join us for an online panel discussion on the short-term and long-term effects of COVID-19 on climate and the environment, with Dr. Sucharita Gopal from the College of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Jonathan I. Levy from the School of Public Health, and BU Sustainability’s Dennis Carlberg. We will start with an overview of Boston University’s progress toward its sustainability goals, then dive into a moderated discussion about what the “new normal” means for our climate and sustainability work -- both at BU and broadly as a society.

and a second panel on
Caring for Yourself, Others, and Our Planet: A Student Panel for Earth Day’s 50th
This Earth Day, join us for an online panel where BU students will share stories about their relationship to nature, their communities, and our environment, and how this interacts with their personal well-being. Following these stories, we will have a conversation about the connections between well-being and the environment. Featuring Marissa Carty, Justin Fogliasso, Alyssa Helmling, Savannah Majarwitz, and Azanta Thakur. Katharine Mooney, Director of Wellness & Prevention, will moderate.

More information at  https://www.bu.edu/sustainability/what-you-can-do/events/earth-day-festival/

———————————

United Nations Global Consultation: Preparation and Response to Pandemics
Tuesday, April 21
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/united-nations-global-consultation-preparation-and-response-to-pandemics-tickets-100854903732

Boston: Share your opinion on how we should be preparing and responding to pandemics in a report to the United Nations.

The UN Secretariat has announced it is organizing a public consultation to generate a global vision for the year 2045, the 100th anniversary of the creation of the UN. The process aims to improve international institutions to meet the aspirations reflected in the 2030 Agenda and bolster the environment for international cooperation.

UNAGB and Boston’s UNA-USA Emerging Leader Fellows will host a public consultation to get feedback on the topic of “Preparation and Response to Pandemics.”

The event will begin with a keynote lecture from Harvard’s Dr. Rifat Atun, Professor of Global Health Systems. After, attendees will participate in a live poll to capture the Greater Boston area’s public opinion on pandemics. The information will then be synthesized in a report to be sent to UN Secretary-General António Guterres.

This event is free and virtual, but registration is required.
This event is open to all ages, though the lecture is tailored to adult audiences.

———————————

Online Call to Action: Activating Your Local Community Food & Resource Exchange
Tuesday, April 21
6-7:30 PM EST
Online
RSVP at https://bit.ly/2V9K16n

"You can find the agenda, more information and fliers at https://cropmobster.com/alert/online-call-to-action--activating-your-local-community-food--resource-exchange
...Please do not hesitate to share these links with anyone interested in igniting their local food system. Thank you!"

———————————

EARTH DAY 2020: Massachusetts Can Lead The Nation In The Climate Crisis
Tuesday, April 21
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Creative-Womens-Lounge/events/269899373/
Cost:  $15

April 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. To acknowledge this milestone, come join Elizabeth Turnbull Henry, the President of Massachusetts for a special Earth Week gathering with one of the state’s key climate advocates. Elizabeth leads the Environmental League of MA. Founded in 1898, ELM is the state’s oldest environmental advocacy organization.

Be inspired, be informed, and learn about the climate and environmental policy solutions we could make possible here at the state level. Elizabeth will share a timely overview of the key policies, add a dash of the politics, and share some pragmatic, proven suggestions for how individuals can help secure a brighter future.

Join us for:
History and background of 121-year-old ELM, originally formed in 1898 as The Massachusetts Forestry Association
Elizabeth's path to ELM President and her vision for building a clean and secure future for the Commonwealth
Brief outlines of ELM’s three key priorities: 1) Doubling the state’s environmental budget 2) Curbing tailpipe emissions, and 3) Growing the market for responsibly-developed offshore wind
Advice for women who may wish to get involved or play a role in combating climate change

Elizabeth took the lead of the Environmental League of Massachusetts in 2017, drawn to the ambitious goals and pragmatic strategies that have long been ELM’s hallmark. She is committed to making Massachusetts lead the nation in environmental policy and getting on a pathway to net zero emissions by 2050. She has a particular passion for pricing carbon and expanding offshore wind. Under her leadership, ELM’s Corporate Council and the ELM Action Fund have grown. Both organizations build political will to create policy solutions that match the urgency of the challenges we face as a Commonwealth and a planet. A proven sustainability leader, she previously directed climate and energy programs for Adidas. She also consulted to the US Department of Energy, worked as Sustainability Lead for a Massachusetts-based residential construction firm, and led international travel programs to over 30 countries. Elizabeth has an MBA and a Masters of Environmental Management (MEM) from Yale University and a BA in Environmental Policy and Economics from Colby College.

—————————————

Reporter Nights at SPS: Distrusting Science: How We Got This Pandemic
Tuesday, April 21
7:10 PM - 8:10 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reporter-nights-at-sps-science-journalism-in-the-time-of-covid-19-w-naomi-oreskes-registration-102722744494

Over the last twenty years, Naomi Oreskes, a professor of the history of science at Harvard University, has been writing widely read books about the political consequences of distorting scientific knowledge.

Dr. Oreskes' best-seller, "Merchants of Doubt," coauthored with Erik M. Conway showed how a group of prestigious researchers misled the public on the dangers of smoking to further an anti-regulation and anti-government political agenda.

Her most recent work, "Why Trust Science?" was written as a response to the growing impact of climate change deniers and anti-vaccine activists.

Published by Princeton University Press before the CoVid-19 pandemic took hold, Dr. Oreskes warned of the dangers of an increasing public distrust of science. How much of the current pandemic can be attributed to this distrust of the knowledge of experts? What can the scientific community do counter the false information spread by some political leaders and by some among the citizenry?

Naomi Oreskes will be interviewed by science journalist Claudia Dreifus, an instructor in the Masters of Sustainability Management program at the Columbia University School of Professional Studies and an adjunct professor of Technology and Media at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs.

She is the political and cultural interviewer of the New York Review of Books, The Daily.

Event Contact Information:
Marivi Perdomo Caba
mp3221 at columbia.edu

——————————————————
Wednesday, April 22 - Friday, April 24
——————————————————

Earth Day Online
Wednesday, April 22 - Friday, April 24
Online
RSVP at https://www.earthdaylive2020.org/

One of the most exciting virtual events is a three-day live stream: Earth Day Live, which will take place from April 22-24.

The youth-led 72-hour live stream and online mobilization will aim to engage people around the world in collective action to protect our climate and communities, and will feature performances from artists and influencers, panels with activists who are on the front lines of the climate crisis, trainings and teach-ins with partners, and conversations with elected officials to keep people engaged, informed, and inspired during this difficult time.

To join Earth Day Live, you can RSVP for updates on the live stream and tune in online on April 22.

You can also participate in the 50th anniversary of Earth Day by striking digitally with the Friday for Future Digital Movement.

We hope you can join us! While we might not be physically striking together, we're proud of our community of supporters for helping to make this Earth Day bigger and bolder than ever.

———————————

Earth Day Global Climate Strike
Wednesday, April 22 -  Friday, April 24
Online
RSVP at RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/earth_day_climate_strike_2020/

the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, millions of people around the world are going online for a three-day mobilization to stop the climate emergency. Even if we’re stuck at home, we can still change the world. Join us for three days of action — from teach-ins, musical performances, divestment, and more. All you need is an internet connection.

——————————
Wednesday, April 22
——————————

En-ROADS Workshop: How Can Economic Stimulus Packages Help Address Climate Change? [Live Online]
Wednesday, April 22
7am - 8am, 2pm - 3pm, 10pm - 11pm
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/1746806623677224206

This webinar is offered several times. Select the date and time that works best for you.

The En-ROADS Climate Workshop is a group experience which allows participants to visualize the impact of different climate solutions in real-time, using the En-ROADS Climate Solutions Simulator – a user-friendly climate model developed by Climate Interactive and MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative. In this session of the En-ROADS Workshop, we'll explore the intersections between climate change and the economic stimulus packages that governments are developing. We'll consider how our actions to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and economic crises can benefit our communities, environment, and climate.

Join us as we learn about cross-sector climate solutions, explore fascinating model dynamics, and strive to limit future warming below 2 degrees Celsius. While working from home, this online event is a fantastic opportunity for your workforce, students, or community group to learn more about climate science, policy solutions, and system dynamics while engaging with the En-ROADS simulator. You can learn more about the En-ROADS at http://en-roads.org

——————————————

Climate Change: How Bad Will it Be, and What Must be Done? Inter-Disciplinary Panels of Leading Experts Answer these Questions on the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day
Wednesday, April 22
9:00 AM - 1:15 PM
Online
RSVP at https://services.nycbar.org/EventDetail?EventKey=ENV042220&WebsiteKey=f71e12f3-524e-4f8c-a5f7-0d16ce7b3314

Description:  Climate change will drastically alter many facets of our lives, including where we live, the way we build, what we eat, how we produce electricity, and how we use transportation. But as the 50th anniversary of Earth Day approaches, many people are not aware of the scope of climate change or what is being done and will be done to address it. This program aims to address that knowledge gap.

Welcome:  J. Kevin Healy, Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association, Senior Counsel, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, LLP

Resiliency Panel:  This panel of experts will provide an overview of resiliency problems and solutions and discuss the science of extreme weather and risk management, resiliency efforts and environmental justice, and efforts to protect New York State.

Sarah Kapnick, Physical Scientist & Deputy Division Leader at NOAA’s Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
Alice Hill, Senior Fellow for Climate Change Policy, Council on Foreign Relations, formerly with the White House and U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security and co-author of Building a Resilient Tomorrow
Tomi Vest, General Counsel, NYC Mayor’s Office on Resiliency
Annel Hernandez, Associate Director, NYC Environmental Justice Alliance

Welcome:  Carl Howard, Counsel, U.S. EPA, Region 2, Co-Chair, Global Climate Change Committee, NYSBA, Environmental & Energy Law Section

Decarbonization Panel:  This panel of experts will provide an overview of the efforts to reduce the use of fossil fuels, and discuss topics including decarbonization in the energy, food and agriculture, and transportation sectors, decarbonization efforts and environmental justice, and New York’s roadmap to a Statewide carbon-neutral building stock by mid-century.

Michael Gerrard, Andrew Sabin Professor of Professional Practice, Director, Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia Law School, author of Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the United States
Peter Lehner, Managing Attorney, Earthjustice
Kate Kurera, Deputy Director, Environmental Advocates of New York
Greg Hale, Senior Adviser, NYSERDA
Lew Daly, Senior Policy Analyst and Senior Advisor, Policy Development, Demos

Program Chairs:  Matthew J. Sinkman, New York Attorney General’s Office, Environmental Protection Bureau
J. Kevin Healy, Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association, Senior Counsel, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, LLP
Amy E. Turner, Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association, Senior Fellow, Sabin Center for Climate Change Law
Carl Howard, Counsel, U.S. EPA, Region 2, Co-Chair, Global Climate Change Committee, NYS Bar Association, Environmental & Energy Law Section
All attendees will receive an email confirmation including a zoom invite 48 hours prior to the program with details of how to access the webinar.

Program Fees:
Free to City Bar and NYSBA members | $15 for non-member attorneys | Free to the public.
Members of the NYSBA and non-lawyers please call Customer Relations at 212.382.6663 to register.

Please note that this event is being hosted and organized by the NYC Bar Association, and sponsored by Environmental Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association, Environmental and Energy Law Section and the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association, and the New York City Climate Action Alliance.

Event Contact Information:  Sabin Center for Climate Change
climatechange at law.columbia.edu

—————————————

Online Earth Day Celebration and Poetry Contest
Wednesday, April 22
9:30am - 10:30am EST
Online
RSVP at Register today at: https://hrvd.me/267ab

Join Harvard's Division of Continuing Education (DCE) for a momentous global online celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day.

—————————————

Climate Therapy: Facing the Climate Emergency with Margaret Klein Salamon in conversation with David Wallace-Wells and Mary Heglar
Wedneday, April 22
10-11am EST
Online (as part of Earth Day Live)
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/362061274685326/

Using themes from Facing the Climate Emergency: How to Transform Yourself with Climate Truth, a radical new self-help book for the climate emergency, we will hear about the emotional side of the climate emergency from two of the movement’s most prominent members.
Join Margaret Klein Salamon, a clinical psychologist turned climate warrior, as she explores the emotional & psychological experience of the climate emergency with two renowned figures in the climate world; David Wallace-Wells, New York Magazine deputy editor, columnist, and author of The Uninhabitable Earth and Mary Heglar, climate justice essayist and Writer-in-Residence at Columbia University’s Earth Institute.

—————————————

Earth Day 50/50: Looking Back, Moving Forward
Wednesday, April 22
10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/earth-day-50-looking-back-moving-forward-tickets-102689577290

As we celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Earth Day, please join the Earth Institute, Columbia University, and viewers from around the globe for an interactive live webcast.

At this truly amazing juncture in human history, we face an immediate global public health emergency as well as a slower, but monumental, global climate crisis. Our special Earth Institute Live conversation with Columbia University experts, alumni and students will reflect on what environmental science and activism accomplished since the first Earth day. Then we will examine today’s challenges and opportunities and chart pathways to a more sustainable, equitable, resilient future for humanity through the next 50 years and beyond.

Viewers from around the world and on platforms from Facebook to Twitter can weigh in and watch this intergenerational chat including:

Host: Alex Halliday, Director, Earth Institute, Columbia University
Moderator: Andrew Revkin, JS ‘82, veteran environmental journalist; Founding Director, Earth Institute Initiative on Communication and Sustainability
Speakers:
Leading the Way on Earth and Climate Research - Maureen Raymo, GSAS ‘89; Bruce C. Heezen/Lamont Research Professor; Director - Core Repository, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, the Earth Institute, Columbia University
Birth of a Movement: Earth Day 1970 - Michael Gerrard, CC ‘72; Andrew Sabin Professor of Professional Practice in the Faculty of Law; Director, Sabin Center for Climate Change Law, School of Law;  Fred Kent, CC ‘67; Co-Founder, Placemaking Fund, PlacemakingX, and the Social Life Project
The Next 50 Years: Building a Sustainable Planet into the Future - Maria Chart, SEAS ’21; Co-chair, Columbia Eco-reps Living Green Committee;  Alex Halliday, Director, Earth Institute, Columbia University ;  Narayan Subramanian, SEAS ‘13, Law ‘20; Fellow, Data for Progress and SAIS-ISEP
Please register using the Eventbrite link above. A link to watch will be sent prior to the event.

Event Contact Information:  EI Events
events at ei.columbia.edu

—————————————

Should Machines Understand Nature to Pass the Turing Test? Co-evolving AI and Systems/Synthetic Biology
Wednesday, April 22
11:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Online
RSVP at Zoom Meeting ID 540212779 Password 759321

Simon Kasif, Boston University

More information at https://calendar.csail.mit.edu/seminar_series/10794
Contact: Patrice Macaluso, 617-253-3037, macaluso at csail.mit.edu

—————————————

The Post-Virus Economic Recovery Should Be a Green One
Wednesday, April 22
12pm
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_D_szQ6E5QwuhSeqxvcMXdQ

Join ELM for our special Earth Day Edition of the series, "Session 3: The Economic Recovery Should Be a Green One."

The COVID-19 crisis has hurt our communities and the economy. The climate crisis presents similar issues. Join ELM for an informative, engaging Earth Day webinar with US Senator Ed Markey on how a strategic and coordinated economic recovery could be done in a way that supports our economic, climate, and environmental justice goals simultaneously.

ELM President Elizabeth Henry will moderate the session and attendees will have the opportunity to engage with Senator Markey in real-time during a Q&A session.

Contact Name:  etomlinson at environmentalleague.org

—————————————

COVID-19 and Climate: Policy & Practice
Wednesday, April 22
12:00PM
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAkc-uorT4pE9QwEFsMWnzemgrqRyroMQP5

As part of Earth Week 2020 at UMass Boston, join David Cash, Dean, John W. McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, UMass Boston and Rebecca Herst, Director, Sustainable Solutions Lab, UMass Boston in a discussion on the emerging lessons learned from responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and how we can leverage those lessons in addressing climate change.

Contact Name:  mccormack.gradschool at umb.edu

—————————————

Ethical Dilemmas in Mask and Equipment Shortages: Health Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Wednesday, April 22
12 – 1:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07eh0w6un22e68d24f&oseq=&c=&ch=

SPEAKER(S)  Stephen P. Wood, Fellow in Bioethics, Center for Bioethics, Harvard Medical School
Christine Mitchell, Executive Director, Center for Bioethics, Harvard Medical School
Michael Mina, Assistant Professor, Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Carmel Shachar, Executive Director, Petrie-Flom Center and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School
DETAILS  Personal protective equipment or PPE has been a major topic of discussion across the nation. The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed major shortages of PPE and health care workers are being asked take care of patients with what some would argue is inadequate protection. The guidelines set by the CDC have changed and recommendations have even gone so far as to approve bandannas as a means for respiratory protection. Some have argued that it is unethical for health care workers to not have adequate protection, while others think it's their duty, protected or not. Adding to this debate has been theft, hoarding and disparate distribution of these critical supplies. Join us for a panel discussion with moderator Carmel Shachar, Stephen P. Wood, Christine Mitchell and Dr. Michael Mina as we explore the ethics of PPE in the COVID-19 pandemic. Registration is required.
LINK  https://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/events/details/ppe-guidelines-and-access-ethical-dilemmas-for-healthcare-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

—————————————

Sunrise Boston Virtual Earth Day!
Wednesday, April 22
12 PM – 9 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/540936559954550/

Are you wondering what to do for Earth Day during quarantine? Are you looking for a way to learn about climate justice and the GND?  Join Sunrise Boston for our Virtual Earth Day celebration! We’ll be hosting teach-ins, mini-actions, video screenings and a virtual rally where Ed Market will be speaking!
Trainings (all hosted on Zoom) will include:
12:00-2:00 PM Introduction to Sunrise/GND
2:00-4:00 PM Massachusetts Politics 101
3:00-5:00 PM GND for Public Housing
5:00-7:00 PM History of the Labor Movement
7:00-9:00 PM HYPE VIRTUAL RALLY!

For a more detailed schedule, see https://bit.ly/earthdaysched.
We recommend that you pick two of these and save some energy for our nighttime rally!! We're having amazing speakers and talented musicians from Sunrise so you don't want to miss it!

To RSVP, go to https://bit.ly/earthdayrsvp. For any questions or accessibility needs, reach out to Anna Reich at annareich0 at gmail.com

———————————

50 Years of Earth Day: MIT Perspectives in the Face of Radical Change
Wednesday, April 22
2:00pm to 3:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/4515864558320/WN_I7fIUEFySR6oP_biEJGuLw

Join us on the 50th Earth Day to explore what the path forward may look like to the 2050 Climate Goals and a more sustainable future in the face of radical change. The session will explore ecological, political, technological, and industrial perspectives on the intersections of sustainability, climate change, and innovation, what this means now and for the future.

In a time of great uncertainty, this session convenes experts from across MIT to discuss current realities and the path forward from 2020 to 2050. Collectively, panelists will provide an understanding of the status of key issues areas and what public and private organizations, as well as private citizens, can continue to do to drive towards a more sustainable future.

Hosted by MIT Sustainable Supply Chains @ CTL

Speakers:
Dr. Julie Newman joined MIT as the Institute’s first Director of Sustainability in the summer of 2013. She has worked in the field of sustainable development and campus sustainability for twenty years. Her research has focused on the intersection between decision-making processes and organizational behavior in institutionalizing sustainability into higher education.

Prof. John E. Fernández ‘85 is a professor of building technology in the Department of Architecture and a practicing architect. Fernández founded and directs the MIT Urban Metabolism Group, a highly multidisciplinary research group focused on the resource intensity of cities and design and technology pathways for future urbanization. He is author of two books, numerous articles in scientific and design journals including Science, the Journal of Industrial Ecology, Building and Environment, Energy Policy and others, and author of nine book chapters. He is Chair of Sustainable Urban Systems for the International Society of Industrial Ecology and Associate Editor of the journal Sustainable Cities and Society.

Prof. Christopher Knittel is the George P. Shultz Professor and a Professor of Applied Economics at the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to MIT Sloan, Knittel taught at the University of California, Davis, and at Boston University. His research focuses on industrial organization, environmental economics, and applied econometrics. Knittel is an associate editor of The American Economic Journal— Economic Policy, The Journal of Industrial Economics, and the Journal of Energy Markets. His research has appeared in The American Economic Review, The Review of Economics and Statistics, The Journal of Industrial Economics, The Energy Journal, and other academic journals. He also is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research in the Productivity, Industrial Organization, and Energy and Environmental Economics groups.

—————————————

The Future of Food:  Helping the World One Bite at a Time
Wednesday, April 22
4 - 5:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-future-of-food-helping-the-world-one-bite-at-a-time-tickets-102251581232

Join Harvard Business School (HBS) on April 22 from 4-5:30 pm for a virtual EARTHFEST 2020 Panel, moderated by Natalie Kindred, HBS Senior Researcher and Manager for the Agribusiness Program. Hear from Philip Behn, CEO of Imperfect Foods and Rebekah Moses, Head of Impact Strategy from Impossible Foods, as they discuss how their organizations are approaching environmental challenges such as food waste and climate change along with their thoughts on the future of the industry and opportunities for innovation. They will also share insights how their businesses are managing the COVID-19 crisis. This event is organized by the HBS Business & Environment Initiative (BEI), HBS Student Sustainability Associates, HBS Sustainability and HBS Connects.

—————————————

ONLINE EVENT: Climate, Environment, and the Politics of Public Trust
Wednesday, April 22
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/climate-environment-and-the-politics-of-public-trust-registration-101921923216

This online, multidisciplinary panel will focus on the politics of science, consensus, and evidence-building relating to environmental and climate debates. Panelists will discuss how public trust relating to climate change and pollution has been constituted, eroded, and subverted by corporations and environmental agencies in the U.S., and what kinds of changes to our policies, politics, and communication may help to rebuild trust in our governmental agencies and institutions of science and medicine.

Event Speakers:
Michael Gerrard, Andrew Sabin Professor of Professional Practice at Columbia Law School
Mona Hanna-Attisha, Founder and Director of the Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital Pediatric Public Health Initiative
Adam Sobel, Professor of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics and of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University

Moderated by David Rosner, Ronald H. Lauterstein Professor of Sociomedical Sciences at Columbia University
Open only to Columbia University students and affiliates. Registration with a valid Columbia University email address is required via Eventbrite (link above). A Zoom link to the online event will be provided to all registered attendees.

Co-Sponsored by the Center for Science and Society and the Center for the History and Ethics of Public Health at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

Event Contact Information:  Sabin Center for Climate Change
climatechange at law.columbia.edu

————————————

A Planet to Win: Why We Need a Green New Deal
Wednesday, April 22
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-planet-to-win-why-we-need-a-green-new-deal-tickets-82910975961

Join us for a public discussion with the authors of "A Planet to Win: Why We Need a Green New Deal"

In the twenty-first century, all politics are climate politics. Presented by the Ian L. McHarg Center for Urbanism and Ecology, and the Socio-Spatial Climate Collaborative, or SC(2)

The age of climate gradualism is over, as unprecedented disasters are exacerbated by inequalities of race and class. We need profound, radical change. A Green New Deal can tackle the climate emergency and rampant inequality at the same time. Cutting carbon emissions while winning immediate gains for the many is the only way to build a movement strong enough to defeat big oil, big business, and the super-rich—starting right now.
A Planet to Win explores the political potential and concrete first steps of a Green New Deal. It calls for dismantling the fossil fuel industry, building beautiful landscapes of renewable energy, and guaranteeing climate-friendly work, no-carbon housing, and free public transit. And it shows how a Green New Deal in the United States can strengthen climate justice movements worldwide.
We don't make politics under conditions of our own choosing, and no one would choose this crisis. But crises also present opportunities. We stand on the brink of disaster—but also at the cusp of wondrous, transformative change.

Kate Aronoff is a Fellow at the Type Media Center and a Contributing Writer at the Intercept. She is the co-editor of We Own the Future and author of The New Denialism. Her writing has appeared in the Guardian, Rolling Stone, Harper’s, In These Times, and Dissent.
Daniel Aldana Cohen is an Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania, where he directs the Socio-Spatial Climate Collaborative, or (SC)2. His writing has appeared in the Guardian, Nature, the Nation, Jacobin, Public Books, Dissent, and NACLA.
Alyssa Battistoni is a Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University and an Editor at Jacobin. Her writing has appeared in the Guardian, n+1, the Nation, Jacobin, In These Times, Dissent, and the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Thea Riofrancos is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Providence College and the author of Resource Radicals. Her writing has appeared in the Guardian, n+1, Jacobin, the Los Angeles Review of Books, Dissent, and In These Times. She serves on the steering committee of DSA’s Ecosocialist Working Group.

Mary Annaïse Heglar is a climate justice essayist and writer. Her essays about climate change have appeared in Vox, Dame Magazine, and Inverse, and she also writes regularly on Medium. She is the director of publications at the Natural Resources Defense Council, and holds a BA in English from Oberlin College. She is based in New York City.

Billy Fleming is Wilks Family Director of the McHarg Center at the University of Pennsylvania. His writing has appeared in the Guardian, Places Journal, Dissent, and Jacobin. He is the co-editor of Design With Nature Now (Lincoln, 2019), An Adaptation Blueprint (Island Press, 2020), and lead author of "The 2100 Project: An Atlas for the Green New Deal."

—————————
Thursday, April 23
—————————

Solving the Pandemic and Climate Crises with a Just Transition
Thursday, April 23
12pm
Online
RSVP at https://tufts.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_aDPFTMtRS76eoKIT0eSOsw?fbclid=IwAR2hHwVrpZAFqBYxVsMX329T_R3BOWyHkeghk43nUGbc_xYwT0EDpTdHMaQ

Join the Tufts Environmental Studies Program, the Office of Sustainability, the Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, the Tufts Institute of the Environment and the Center for International Environment & Resource Policy to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day with a special edition of the Hoch Cunningham Environmental Lecture Series.

On the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we are starkly reminded of the intersectionality of environmental unsustainabilities with social, racial, and economic injustices. The first Earth Day in 1970 came out of the movements of the 1960s and created a diverse big tent that included labor unions, women’s groups, and many others. Today, in the midst of the corona virus pandemic, there is an opportunity at least on par with 1970 to shift popular consciousness to recognize the common roots leading to not only the pandemic, but also the climate crisis and extreme wealth inequality. In this session, we will explore the opportunities in this COVID crisis and discuss how the immediate work to be done can push us further down the path towards a “Just Transition” that “changes everything”.

SPEAKERS:
Penn Loh, Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, Tufts University
Maria Belen Power, GreenRoots
Caitlin Colino, Sunrise Movement, Tufts chapter

Contact Name:  sara.rosales at tufts.edu

———————————

Stop the Money Pipeline
Thursday, April 23
12PM noon or  7PM ET
Online
RSVP for 12 noon actionar at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMkdOytqzgpGdZzsY7LzpgvMLNAhOuF12vg
RSVP for 7pm actionar at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcscOiprz8sEtws5LLDWzoyAQ1G4Sq_8NCi

Join Extinction Rebellion and Stop The Money Pipeline

Our actionar targets JPMorgan Chase—biggest financier of fossil fuel project around the world, across the U.S., and right here in Massachusetts.

What do CHASE BANK, MASSACHUSETTS, and LEE RAYMOND— former CEO of ExxonMobil and historic climate change denier— have in common?? And what can we do about it?

Already met Lee Raymond in our first actionar? Great! Please join us again to learn more and take further action with Massachusetts-specific messages.

Part of Earth Day Live, a 3-day livestream mobilization

More information on the event and campaign can be found on the Stop The Money Pipeline website at https://stopthemoneypipeline.com/earth-day-live/

———————————

Terrorism and Political Legitimacy
Thursday, April 23
12:15 – 2 p.m.
Online
RVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUqcuGsrTwrH9fnixp6gfngWf4DMq5itcO4

SPEAKER(S)  Anina Schwarzenbach, Postdoctoral Fellow, International Security Program
DETAILS  Everyone is welcome to join us online via Zoom! Please register in advance for this seminar: harvard.zoom.us…
LINK  https://www.belfercenter.org/event/terrorism-and-political-legitimacy
CONTACT INFO	susan_lynch at harvard.edu

———————————

Green Industrial Policy: A Delicate Dance between Socio-Economic and Environmental Objectives
Thursday, April 23
12:30PM TO 1:45PM
WEBINAR
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfnBTpq7Um6f3hFzQu1QMx0phdS3JTOkri6e5Yab_tEU9y_Mg/viewform

Easwaran Narassimhan, The Fletcher School, Tufts University
Easwaran is a PhD candidate and a Predoctoral Fellow at the Center for International Environment and Resource Policy, The Fletcher School, Tufts University. Prior to enrolling in the doctoral program, Easwaran received a Master’s degree from The Fletcher School specializing in environmental policy and development economics. As a doctoral student, Easwaran focuses on Innovation and Industrial Policy for Clean Energy Technologies, trying to understand the role of government in transitioning to a low carbon future in developing countries. In addition to his dissertation, Easwaran is currently working on comparing carbon pricing regimes, measuring the environmental efficacy of Chinese overseas energy investments, and assessing the effectiveness of demand side policies to promote electric vehicle in the U.S.

RSVP required for zoom details.
CIERP & CREATE Solutions Research Seminar
https://sites.tufts.edu/cierp/events/
Contact Name:  Sara Rosales
sara.rosales at tufts.edu

———————————

Starr Forum: Rethinking National Security in the Age of Pandemics
Thursday, April 23
4:30pm to 5:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/j/791133646

Moderator:  Jim Walsh is a senior research associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Security Studies Program (SSP). His research and writings focus on international security, and in particular, topics involving nuclear weapons, the Middle East, and East Asia.
Panelists:  Joe Cirincione is president of Ploughshares Fund, a global security foundation. He is also the host of Press The Button, a weekly podcast from Ploughshares Fund dedicated to nuclear policy and national security. He has worked on nuclear weapons policy in Washington for over 35 years and is considered one of the top experts in the field.

Vipin Narang is an associate professor of political science at MIT and a member of MIT’s Security Studies Program. He is an expert in nuclear proliferation, nuclear strategy, South Asia, international relations, and international security.

Yasmeen Silva is partnerships manager at Beyond the Bomb. Her mission is to expose the intersections of the nuclear system with other oppressive systems here in the United States. Prior to joining Beyond the Bomb, Yasmeen organized across the country on issues ranging from a $15 minimum wage to reproductive rights.

————————————

Policing during COVID-19 and The Torture Letters: Reckoning with Police Violence
Thursday, April 23
5:00 PM to 6:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at http://ow.ly/zjpl30qysFH

Laurence Ralph in Conversation with Danielle Allen
Laurence Ralph is a Professor of Anthropology at Princeton University. He earned both a PhD and also a Master of Arts degree in Anthropology from the University of Chicago, and a Bachelor of Science degree from Georgia Institute of Technology where he majored in History, Technology and Society.

Please register  by Noon on Wednesday, April 22nd, and we will email you the link to access the event on April 23, a few hours before it begins. Registration is limited, but we will also livestream the conversation on our Facebook page.

————————————

Mindfulness in a Time of Pandemic
Thursday, April 23
7:00pm to 8:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/j/562433469

Guided Meditation and Talk led by Venerable Miao Guang, Fo Guang Shan Institute of Humanistic Buddhism.

What can the practice of mindfulness offer us in a time of global pandemic? Join us for a guided meditation, mindfulness talk, and open Q&A for the MIT Community.

Venerable Miao Guang is the Deputy Chancellor for International Affairs, FGS Institute of Humanistic Buddhism and the Director, Fo Guang Dictionary of Buddhism Translation Project. She is also the personal interpreter and translator to Venerable Master Hsing Yun, the founder of Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Order.
This event is sponsored by the T.T. and W.F. Chao Distinguished Buddhist Lecture Series:

This distinguished lecture series engages the rich history of Buddhist thought and ethical action to advance critical dialogues on ethics, humanity, and MIT’s mission “to develop in each member of the MIT community the ability and passion to work wisely, creatively, and effectively for the betterment of humankind.”

Join Zoom Meeting
https://mit.zoom.us/j/562433469

One tap mobile
+16465588656,,562433469# US (New York)
+16699006833,,562433469# US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 562 433 469

—————————————————
Friday, April 24 – Monday, April 27
—————————————————

Long Now Boston and the City Nature Celebration
Friday, April 24, 12:00 AM – Monday, April 27, 11:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://citynature.eventbrite.com

Get outside each day, make and document observations of nature in your own backyard or neighborhood.

Long Now Boston is delighted to offer an event that is fun for the whole family! You are invited to join the ‘Long Now Boston City Nature Celebration 02020: Observing the urban environment’ project, a global citizen science event that is held from April 24 – 27 and supported by iNaturalist. Celebrate the biodiversity of the urban environment. Get outside each day, make and document observations of nature in your own backyard or neighborhood, all while practicing socially responsible distancing.
How many different species do you think you will observe?
Which species do you expect to see most frequently? Is it a bird? An insect?
 How many different plant species will you observe?
Will your observations change over the four days of the celebration?
Why is biodiversity important?

Long Now Boston is proud to offer this project as part of the City Nature Celebration. This event is also known as the City Nature Challenge.

Register on Eventbrite and visit our website for details on how to participate.
Visit Long Now Boston for details on how to join the team and participate: https://www.longnowboston.org/?p=1469
FAQ: https://www.eventbrite.com/x/102796882242/

—————————
Thursday, April 23
—————————

Beers and Climate Change
Thursday, April 23
8 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/beers-and-climate-change-online/

Come join us online for a beverage of your choice and learn about Extinction Rebellion. This will be a casual meeting to discuss climate change and upcoming actions. Come, have a drink, have a laugh, and join the movement.

You don't need to bring anything, just a rebellious spirit.

———————
Friday, April 24
———————

Startup Spotlight 2020 [VIRTUAL]
Friday, April 24 (More dates through May 29)
12:00pm to 1:00pm
Online
RSVP at http://startupspotlight.mitforumcambridge.org

The Startup Spotlight, usually held in June, has traditionally been a time for us to gather together for a cocktail networking reception, peruse tables of startup demos….and vote for our favorites. While we don’t know what life will be like in June, or even next week, we do know this:

Startups and small businesses are everything for our economy and they need our support and encouragement now more than ever!

So, this year, instead of hosting a one-night, in-person affair, we’re adapting to our new reality and changing things up.

Here’s how
Every week starting April 24, we’ll highlight 4 startups in a series of 6 virtual demo days
Startups (located anywhere!) should apply online to be chosen to demo LIVE to registered attendees (applications will roll over week to week)
Startups chosen will demo LIVE to our weekly audience
The LIVE demos will be recorded and shared for the crowd to vote for their favorites

—————————————

Live Webinar: Access Live COVID-19 Data on AtScale
Friday, April 24
1:00 PM to 2:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://bit.ly/3a9Q27o

How are you and your company helping to combat the impact of COVID-19? The ability to understand and make decisions about COVID-19 from data is more important than ever before.

Join us to learn how you can perform live, multidimensional analysis on COVID-19 data with popular BI tools (Tableau and Excel today, with more coming soon). All we ask is that you use your powers for good!

In this Webinar, we’ll cover:
Overview of the raw data which includes Starschema: COVID-19 Epidemiological Data available on Snowflake’s data exchange.
AtScale’s Cloud OLAP model
How to get access to the model to begin your analysis

—————————————

Starr Forum: Amazon Burning: The Ghost of Climate Future?
Friday, April 24
1:00PM TO 2:30PM
WEBCAST
RSVP at https://calendar.mit.edu/event/AmazonBurning#.Xo_t-i2ZNrY

Carlos Nobre, Brazil’s leading expert on the Amazon and climate change, discusses the Amazon forest fires and the impact of both local and global politics in the fight to save our planet. Hosted by the MIT Center for International Studies (CIS) and MIT Brazil Program.

Bio: Carlos Nobre chairs the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) Scientific Committee, is the director of the Center for Earth System Science and Senior Scientist at the National Institute for Space Research (INPE) of Brazil, is executive secretary of the Brazilian Research Network on Global Climate Change (Rede CLIMA), and is scientific director of the National Institute for Climate Change Research. His research interests include tropical meteorology, climate modeling, global environmental change, and biosphere-atmosphere interactions in Amazonia. He received a PhD in Meteorology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

Contact Name:  starrforum at mit.edu

———————————

What Is the Cost of Lies? A Discussion with HBO Chernobyl Writer and Creator Craig Mazin
Friday, April 24
2 – 3:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.youtube.com/user/huriyt

SPEAKER(S)  Craig Mazin, Creator of Chernobyl
Serhii Plokhii, Director, Ukrainian Research Institute; Professor of Ukrainian History, Harvard University; Faculty Associate, Davis Center; Author, Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
DETAILS  Live on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/huriyt
What Is the Cost of Lies? A conversation with HBO Chernobyl writer and creator Craig Mazin
Craig Mazin, Screenwriter and Film Director
Serhii Plokhii, Director, Ukrainian Research Institute, and Professor of Ukrainian History, Harvard University
This event will be streamed live on YouTube. Please join us and contribute to the conversation via the chat function.
Co-sponsored by the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies and the Energy Project.
LINK  https://www.huri.harvard.edu/events/calendar/g-3-252b6v7dfdmd0rdskge27t63g0_202004241800.html
CONTACT INFO	Kathryn W. and Shelby Cullom Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Harvard University
1730 Cambridge Street, 3rd Floor • Cambridge, MA 02138
617.495.4037

—————————————

The Smart, Equitable Commonwealth: Co-Creating the Society We Want
Friday, April 24
3:30 PM – 4:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-smart-equitable-commonwealth-co-creating-the-society-we-want-tickets-97157333199

What does a conference look like in a time when in-person gatherings are impossible, but community and innovative public policy are more important than ever? We’re moving the 2020 BARI Conference online, featuring one panel every Friday throughout the summer.

We’ll be announcing the series in one-month blocks. Each panel will be presented as a live webcast, which will also be released as a podcast episode the following week. Register for the conference today, and we’ll share the access information before each session. Panels will be from 3:30 – 4:30 pm, with an optional BARI Video Happy Hour following each session.
Sign up for our email list to get updates on each panel, and register on Eventbrite today! We’ll share the Zoom login information via email before each session.

BARI’s annual conference is a unique forum for greater Boston’s civic data ecosystem—spanning the public sector, private sector, non-profits, community leaders, and academia—to explore how data and technology can be used to better understand and serve our communities. “Smart cities” should be about more than just efficiency and fancy new tools; it is about partnering across institutions and communities to collaboratively transform all of our cities and towns into the places we want them to be.
The conference features talks describing data-driven work occurring throughout Greater Boston, on all topics related to cities and communities, including but not limited to: housing; transportation; public health; climate change; inequality and segregation; public safety and law enforcement; arts and culture; and access to resources, amenities, and services. In keeping with our themes of “equity” and “co-creating society,” we encourage submitters to consider which members of society are engaged in or impacted by their work. If relevant, we also ask you to note the role of cross-institutional collaboration.

—————————
Saturday, April 25
—————————

Space for Action: Rebuilding a Sustainable World
Saturday, April 25
7:00pm to 8:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/space-for-action-rebuilding-a-sustainable-world-tickets-102625451488

A collective reflection with music and conversation on how the pandemic is reshaping our relationship with the earth.

A free virtual event featuring performances and talks by Rev. Mariama White-Hammond, Esperanza Spalding, Bill McKibben, Rep. Ayanna Pressley, Ran Blake, Peter Godart, Edmar Colón, Tutti Druyan, Tiandra Ray, and Ricky Richardson.

This 90-minute performance-conversation brings together leading musicians, scientists, politicians, and activists to reflect on how the pandemic is reshaping our relationship with the earth and the opportunity we have to rebuild. The event will also include moderated breakout sessions for attendees, sparking discussion about how we can take control of our trajectory and imagine what a sustainable and equitable future looks like in our post-pandemic world.

————————
Sunday, April 26
————————

MIT IDEAS Virtual Innovation Showcase + Awards 2020
Sunday, April 26
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mit-ideas-virtual-innovation-showcase-awards-2020-tickets-89595431347

Join the MIT IDEAS Social Innovation Challenge on Sunday, April 26th, for avirtual celebration of the spirit of innovation, entrepreneurship, and public service! While this annual event has been held on MIT's campus for the past 18 years, we have virtualized our showcase and awards this year as a response to COVID-19. We're excited to share the work of our teams with a broader community than ever!

As a part of going virtual, we invite you to be a part of the award process:
Vote for your favorite team! Check out videos from our 20 finalist teams here and vote for your favorite now through April 26th at 1:00pm Eastern Time. The two teams with the most votes will each receive"Crowd Favorite" grants of $2,500 to continue their innovative work!

Register to join the livestream of the IDEAS Award Ceremony on Sunday, April 26 at 3pm Eastern Time to celebrate the work of our inspiring student social innovators and entrepreneurs, and to hear which teams will be awarded up to $21,000 to advance their efforts.

This is where ideas make positive impacts. Thanks for joining us in making those impacts happen!

————————
Monday, April 27
————————

Cyber Security Program Seminar
Monday, April 27
12:00PM TO 1:00PM
WEBCAST
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBU6dg0u1Q_xguMdEWV8NJscINe1N80Ik5VuxK9IkyVTmnxw/viewform

Join the Cyber Project in welcoming Sean Plankey, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response in the Department of Energy.

Sean will discuss how the Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response (CESER) addresses the emerging threats of tomorrow while protecting the reliable flow of energy to Americans today by improving energy infrastructure security and supporting the Department of Energy’s (DOE) national security mission. CESER’s focus is preparedness and response activities to natural and man-made threats, ensuring a stronger, more prosperous, and secure future for the Nation.

Registration required.

Cyber Security Program Seminar
https://www.belfercenter.org/event/cyber-project-speaker-series-sean-plankey-department-energy-principal-deputy-assistant

—————————————

Virtual: How to Freak Out Skillfully, and Other Pandemic Survival Skills
Monday, April 27 (More dates through May 25)
[...]

Monday, April 13
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/jennifer_steinhauer/

Harvard Book Store's virtual event series welcomes New York Times reporter JENNIFER STEINHAUER for a discussion of her latest book, The Firsts: The Inside Story of the Women Reshaping Congress. She will be joined in conversation by fellow Times reporter KATHARINE Q. SEELYE. This event is co-sponsored by Cambridge Women's Center.

About The Firsts
In November 2018, the greatest number of women in American history entered Congress. From Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and “the Squad” to “the Badasses” with national security backgrounds, from the first two Native Americans in Congress to the first two Muslim women, all were swept into office on a wave of grassroots support, diverse in background, age, professional experience, and ideology.

In The Firsts, New York Times reporter Jennifer Steinhauer follows these women’s first year in the 116th Congress, chronicling their transition from running trailblazing campaigns to the daily work of governance. In committee rooms, offices, and conversations on the run through the halls of the Capitol, she probed the question: Would Washington, with its hidebound traditions, change the changemakers, or would this Congress, which looked a little more like today’s America, truly be the start of something new?

Vivid and smart, The Firsts delivers fresh details, inside access, historical perspective, and expert analysis as these women—inspiring, controversial, talented, and rebellious—do something truly surprising: make Congress essential again.

—————————
Tuesday, April 28
—————————

Virtual event: Crossroads 2020 - The Future of Supply Chain Management
Tuesday, April 28
8:00am to 5:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://ctl.mit.edu/xr20
Cost:  $0 - $250

The year 2020 was less than a month old when the coronavirus outbreak erupted in China. The crisis provides a stark reminder of the uncertainties that supply chains face today – and throughout the new decade. Crossroads 2020 one-day conference will explore these uncertainties, as well as measures that companies can take to prepare for them.

A talk on the decoupling of China and the United States will look at the broad economic and supply chain ramifications of this seismic shift in global trade patterns.

The arrival of 5G wireless connectivity could redefine the way data is communicated and analyzed, and a leading authority on the technology from MIT will map 5G’s evolution over the next few years.

Sensing technology is another potential game-changer, and an MIT scientist who is developing innovative sensing devices will provide an overview of advances in the field.

Sustainability is a powerful force for change in supply chains. Findings from a ground-breaking study on the impact of sustainability efforts on supply chains carried out by MIT CTL in collaboration with the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals will be discussed publicly for the first time at the conference.

Full agenda coming soon.

Discover how emerging innovations intersect with supply chain management. Crossroads is a one-day annual event offering a unique learning opportunity for participants. The event connects experts from MIT, the world’s foremost center for technological innovation with the MIT Center for Transportation & Logistics (MIT CTL), the global leader in supply chain education and research, for a day of discovery and learning.

No other event provides this blend of expertise in one day. This is one reason why the Crossroads conference series has become the SCM community's most important venue for new ideas since its inception more than 15 years ago.

————————————

[Virtual] Borderless COVID-19, Restricted Vaccines
Tuesday, April 28
12 – 1:15 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_TBdifXh5TKeDC48z9eLltQ

SPEAKER(S)  Quenten Palfrey, Co-Director of Global Access in Action
John Stubbs, Affiliate, Berkman Klein Center
DETAILS  As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) sweeps the world in devastating fashion, scientists are scrambling to develop effective vaccines and treatments. But how should those medicines be priced globally?
Following Donald Trump’s “America First” policy with respect to vaccine and drug pricing would be tragic, argue Quenten Palfrey and John Stubbs. Instead, Palfrey and Stubbs propose a pharmaceutical pricing policy modeled on progressive taxation to distribute costs equitably worldwide.
LINK  https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/virtual-borderless-covid-19-restricted-vaccines
CONTACT INFO	events at cyber.harvard.edu

————————————

Concentration in a Time of Crisis: Concentration by Stefan Van Der Stigchel
Tuesday, April 28
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/concentration-in-a-time-of-crisis-concentration-by-stefan-van-der-stigchel-tickets-102211736054

Never in recent history has the news been so distracting, or have so many of us been forced to work under unexpected stress and in unideal conditions. This talk from Stefan Van der Stigchel, Professor of Cognitive Psychology at Utrecht University, will explain what makes it hard for us to concentrate and show you how to concentrate under the most distracting of circumstances.

About the Book
We are in the midst of an attention crisis—caused in large part by our smartphones. There's a constant stream of information that we are powerless to withstand because it shows up in our notifications. More and more of us are finding it harder and harder to concentrate. In this book, attention expert and cognitive psychologist Stefan Van der Stigchel explains how concentration works and offers advice on how to stay focused in a world of beeping smartphones, channel surfing, live-tweeting, pop-up ads, and other distractions.

The good news, Van der Stigchel reports, is that we now know more about brain and behavior than ever before, and he draws on the latest scientific findings in his account of concentration. He explains, among other things, that the battle for our attention began long before the digital era; why our phones are so addictive; the importance of working memory (responsible for executing complicated tasks) and how to increase its capacity; and why multitasking is bad for our concentration, but attention rituals help it. He describes the 2017 Oscars debacle (when the Best Picture presenter was given the wrong card) as a failure of multitasking; argues that daydreaming can be good for our concentration; and shows that the presence of a passenger in a car reduces the risk of an accident. He explains the positive effects of taking “tech breaks” (particularly in natural surroundings), meditation, and even daydreaming. We can win the battle for our attention, Van der Stigchel argues, if we have the knowledge and the tools to do it.

————————————

Webinar: How to Win Press For Your Startup
Tuesday, April 28
1:00pm to 2:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.mitforumcambridge.org/event/webinar-how-to-win-press-for-your-startup/

Want to win media coverage for your startup but can’t afford to spend a small fortune on traditional PR agency fees?

Well, you’re definitely not alone.

The “as seen in” banner on a startup’s website is increasingly seen as the badge of legitimacy for any growing company. Being able to boast about a Tech Crunch, Venture Beat or Next Web feature can build a huge amount of trust, authority, and exposure with potential customers and investors.

But how do you bootstrap your way to media success?

Fortunately, the process for winning media coverage can be broken down and easily executed by anyone. That’s why our PR & Marketing partners Net Positive Agency are hosting a 1-hour webinar to deconstruct the process for you.

During the webinar, Net Positive Agency will provide a step-by-step guide on how to execute the following common PR functions:
When to write a press release and who to send it to
The do's and don'ts of guest posting
Using HARO and other journalist requests tools
How to pitch to journalists the right way

——————————————

Real Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition:  A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation
Tuesday, April 28
7:00 PM
Online
RSVP at http://www.harvard.com/event/sharon_salzberg/
Cost:  $5.00 suggested - pay what you can

Harvard Book Store's virtual events series welcomes SHARON SALZBERG—renowned author and teacher of Buddhist meditation for a discussion of the 10th anniversary edition of her New York Times bestselling book, Real Happiness: A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation. She'll be joined in conversation by CAROLINE WELCH, CEO and co-founder of The Mindsight Institute. Her latest book, The Gift of Presence: A Mindfulness Guide for Women, is available for purchase at https://bookshop.org/books/the-gift-of-presence-a-mindfulness-guide-for-women/9780593086803

In lieu of our traditional ticketing at this time, we ask that you pay what you can to support our virtual event series and this indie bookstore. We recommend a $5 contribution, or you can support Harvard Book Store by purchasing a copy of Real Happiness from our affiliate Bookshop page at https://bookshop.org/books/real-happiness-10th-anniversary-edition-a-28-day-program-to-realize-the-power-of-meditation-second-edition-revised/9781523510122

We are so excited to be able to continue bringing authors and their books to our community, particularly during such challenging times, and your patronage and enthusiasm are what make it possible.

About Real Happiness
From Sharon Salzberg, a pioneer in the field of meditation and world-renowned teacher acclaimed for her down-to-earth style, Real Happiness is a complete guide to starting and maintaining a meditation practice. Beginning with the simplest breathing and sitting techniques, and based on three key skills—concentration, mindfulness, and lovingkindness—it’s a practice anyone can do and that can transform our lives by bringing us greater resiliency, creativity, peace, clarity, and balance.

This updated 10th anniversary edition includes exercises, journal prompts, and ten guided meditations available.

**********
—————
Upcoming
—————
**********

——————————
Wednesday, April 29
——————————

Charting an Sustainable Development Goals 4.7 Roadmap for Radical, Transformative Change in the Midst of Climate Breakdown
Wednesday, April 29
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/charting-an-sdg-47-roadmap-for-radical-transformative-change-in-the-midst-of-climate-breakdown-tickets-102438753068

Key Note Speaker:
Jeffrey Sachs, University Professor Columbia University and the Director of Center for Sustainable Development, Earth Institute

Invited Speakers include:
Jahnavi Bhatt, Bob Jickling, Heila Lotz-Sisitka, Priyadarshani Joshi, Nidhi Thakur, Jeffrey Schlegelmilch, Adriana Valenzuela, Antonia Wulff, Caroline Lewis, Abby Rusky, Jess Cooke, Frank Neopold, Kartikeya Sarabhai, Priya Patel, Vanita Gangwal, Anna Bertmar Khan, William Bertolotti, Vidya Bindal, Aalok Bhatt, Srinivas Akula, John Mugabo, Sahana Gosh, Gopal Patel and more.

The purpose of this workshop is to build off of the Brookings report and to bring together stakeholders from the fields of ESD, GCED, GE, and HR education to begin laying out a shared vision, or roadmap, for the global education sector in climate action. The aim is that this workshop will serve as a launching pad for a series of working meetings over the course of 2020 for those who express interest at the workshop to continue being engaged. The working meetings will culminate in an edited volume focused on education and climate action.

This event is a part of the virtual Conference of International Education Society. More information at http://www.CIES202020.org

Sustainable Development Goal 4.7 states, “by 2030 ensure all learners acquire knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including among others through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship, and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”

For updates on this event and registration, use the Eventbrite link above.

Event contact: Radhika Iyengar, iyengar at ei.columbia.edu

—————————————

Virtual Event: Headhunters, Pirates, and Englishmen, Oh My!: Outsider Rule and Compellence in Sarawak
Wednesday, April 29
12:00pm to 1:30am
Online
RSVP at https://ssp.mit.edu/events/2020/headhunters-pirates-and-englishmen-oh-my

An adventurous Englishman established a durable political order amid the contestation of sea and land Dayaks, ethnic Chinese, Muslims, and other peoples in Sarawak, on the island of Borneo, in the middle of the 19th century. Three generations of the Brooke family maintained personal rule over Sarawak until after World War II. After the British Crown bought the territory from the last of the so-called White Rajahs, an insurgency formed to call for the return of personalistic Brooke rule. Given the difficulties that liberal Western powers have had in creating or restoring political order in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere since World War II, how did the Brooke family succeed without creating an institutionalized state, without delivering public goods beyond security, and without creating an appealing ideology? Paradoxically, it was the Brookes’ lack of institutions and ideology that enabled their rule. The Brookes flourished without the trappings and tools of empire, using personal influence; organized violence by a small number of armed Englishmen sufficient to balance power among armed groups; and partnerships with indigenous groups to take and retain power. Their success as outsider rulers rested on their use of compellence. This fine-grained archival case has relevance for theorizing compellence, balancing, and bandwagoning. It is also useful for understanding military intervention in multiple forms, including peacekeeping, state building, and counterinsurgency.

—————————————

[Virtual] Challenges in Digital Technology Then and Now
Wednesday, April 29
1 – 2:15 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/virtual-challenges-digital-technology-then-and-now

SPEAKER(S)	Jonathan Zittrain, George Bemis Professor of International Law at Harvard Law School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Co-Founder of BKC
Brad Smith, President of Microsoft
DETAILS  Governments and publics are increasingly asking that tech companies work to address the challenges and adapt to the changes technology has unleashed, from digital security to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. At the core of these new expectations is the sense that world-changing technologies must be governed in accordance with a broad ethic of responsibility – to individual users and to society at large.
In this conversation, Jonathan Zittrain will be joined by Microsoft President Brad Smith to discuss how big tech might rise to these new challenges and opportunities.
This event is part of the AI Policy Practice.
LINK  https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/virtual-challenges-digital-technology-then-and-now
CONTACT INFO	events at cyber.harvard.edu

—————————————

Compost and Soil Carbon Webinar
Wednesday, April 29
2pm
Online
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeHMgQFN8EkDMNKdWDkvdwZiuXc-LlNs4gSFBCDnPwcikYdPg/viewform

With Marianda Lachman
Compost is more than a natural fertilizer - it's a powerful tool in the fight against climate change! Please join Miranda Lachman of Bootstrap Compost to find out how compost not only prevents the creation of methane but also helps put atmospheric carbon back where it belongs - in the soil - and what you can do to start composting right now.

—————————————

Sustaining All Life: Tools for Climate Justice
Wednesday, April 29, May 6, May 13
7:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeHMgQFN8EkDMNKdWDkvdwZiuXc-LlNs4gSFBCDnPwcikYdPg/viewform

For Organizers and Environmental Activists
Marya Axner, Sustaining All Life
In this class, learn tools that will help people overcome barriers to building a massive movement to stop climate change and limit its effects. We will learn:
Basic listening skills: People will learn to listen to another person without giving advice, without judgement and with respect and caring. Each person will also experience what it is like to be listened to without someone judging them or interrupting them. In these exercises, people are encouraged to talk about personal experiences: We learn that we can heal from hurtful experiences if someone listens to us attentively and allows and encourage us release grief, fear, and other painful emotions.  People will be expected to agree on confidentiality during certain exercises. These listening exercises will help us overcome discouragement and powerlessness that impede our ability to build movements.

We will also learn how to overcome longstanding divisions between groups of people, based in oppression. To do this we talk about the role of oppression in our own lives-- how we personally have been targeted by oppression and also how we each were unwittingly pushed into the role of oppressing others. In doing so we can heal from these experiences and be empowered to bring people together to work for change.

—————————
Thursday, April 30
—————————

VIRTUAL EVENT: Starr Forum: Violence Against Women and Girls: The Case of Saudi Arabia
Thursday, April 30
1:00pm to 2:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/j/476681252

The speakers will also address the Covid-19 pandemic and how it exacerbates violence

This talk will explore violence against women and girls (VAWG) in Saudi Arabia as a case study to understand the interconnectedness of violence with gender inequality and women’s limited representation in power and decision-making. VAWG will be explored in the context of Saudi Arabia, while drawing parallels with neighboring countries and the Arab region as a whole. In particular, a focus on patriarchal relations, honor-related cultural norms, and social and economic policies will be presented in relation to violence perpetration and prevention. Also explored will be how the Covid-19 pandemic impacts VAWG. Finally, an overview of culturally-tailored prevention strategies will be discussed.

Speaker: Hala Aldosari is a Saudi scholar and activist whose work focuses on women’s rights in Arab societies, violence against women, and the “guardianship” system in Saudi Arabia. She joined the MIT Center for International Studies (CIS) as its 2019-20 Robert E Wilhelm Fellow.

Discussant: Rothna Begum is senior researcher for the Women's Rights Division of Human Rights Watch. Prior to joining HRW, Rothna worked for Amnesty International researching human rights in the Middle East and North Africa region.

——————
Friday, May 1
——————

Startup Spotlight 2020 [VIRTUAL]
Friday, May 1 (More dates through May 29)
[...]

Monday, May 4
———————

____________
Tuesday, May 5
————————

Author Talk: #HashtagActivism
Tuesday, May 5
12:30pm to 1:30pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-talk-hashtagactivism-tickets-102213772144

MIT Press Live! presents a virtual author talk with the authors of #HashtagActivism.
Join authors Sarah J. Jackson, Moya Bailey, and Brooke Foucault Welles to look at how marginalized groups use Twitter to advance counter-narratives, preempt political spin, and build diverse networks of dissent.

The power of hashtag activism became clear in 2011, when #IranElection served as an organizing tool for Iranians protesting a disputed election and offered a global audience a front-row seat to a nascent revolution. Since then, activists have used a variety of hashtags, including #JusticeForTrayvon, #BlackLivesMatter, #YesAllWomen, and #MeToo to advocate, mobilize, and communicate. In this book, Sarah Jackson, Moya Bailey, and Brooke Foucault Welles explore how and why Twitter has become an important platform for historically disenfranchised populations, including Black Americans, women, and transgender people. They show how marginalized groups, long excluded from elite media spaces, have used Twitter hashtags to advance counternarratives, preempt political spin, and build diverse networks of dissent.

The authors describe how such hashtags as #MeToo, #SurvivorPrivilege, and #WhyIStayed have challenged the conventional understanding of gendered violence; examine the voices and narratives of Black feminism enabled by #FastTailedGirls, #YouOKSis, and #SayHerName; and explore the creation and use of #GirlsLikeUs, a network of transgender women. They investigate the digital signatures of the “new civil rights movement”—the online activism, storytelling, and strategy-building that set the stage for #BlackLivesMatter—and recount the spread of racial justice hashtags after the killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and other high-profile incidents of killings by police. Finally, they consider hashtag created by allies, including #AllMenCan and #CrimingWhileWhite.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Living With Heat - Urban Land Institute report on expected climate impact in Boston
https://boston.uli.org/about/impact/

————————————

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Boston Science Lectures:  https://sites.google.com/view/bostonsciencelectures/home
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/
Extinction Rebellion:  https://xrmass.org/action/
Sunrise Movement:  https://www.facebook.com/SunriseBoston/events/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse. To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.