[act-ma] Open Letter from the Massachusetts Coalition for Health Equity to Governor Charlie Baker Regarding Safe Reopening of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri May 15 04:45:57 PDT 2020

excerpts

Not only the staggering 5,108 death toll in Massachusetts as of May
13th, but also the emerging understanding of prolonged disability in
many convalescents of COVID-19 and of impacts on children, demand that
appropriate protections in all workplaces and in all public spaces are
in place before employees and the public are asked to spend our days in
these environments.

We are concerned about the absence of three critical determinants of a
successful emergence from the current first wave of COVID-19 in the
Commonwealth. In addition to insufficient testing and the absence of
objective benchmarks that can indicate readiness to reopen, we note the
lack of representation of essential workers and of the most affected
communities on your advisory panel and a dearth of medical and public
health experts. In its current composition, this panel, which skews
overwhelmingly toward CEOs and business representatives, lacks the
expertise and perspective necessary to successfully reopen our state.

Full letter at

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUlvMo0zj7wvkWbzRk-ekJXHfmg4Dq20YZRhgGKZywrNVJqQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1