[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - May 17, 2020

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun May 17 08:49:28 PDT 2020

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) Events
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

—————————————————————

Since almost all events are online now, Energy (and Other) Events is now virtual and can happen anywhere in the world.  If you know of online events that are happening which may be of interest to the editor of this publication, please let me know. People are connecting all across the world and I’d be more than happy to help facilitate more of that.

—————————————————————

Mutual Aid Networks

National
Spreadsheet of mutual aid networks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1HEdNpLB5p-sieHVK-CtS8_N7SIUhlMpY6q1e8Je0ToY/htmlview

Mutual Aid Networks to Combat Coronavirus
https://itsgoingdown.org/autonomous-groups-are-mobilizing-mutual-aid-initiatives-to-combat-the-coronavirus/

Local
Boston COVID-19 Community Care
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15GYuPYEzBk9KIyH3C3419aYxIMVAsa7BL7nBl9434Mg/edit?usp=sharing

Boston + MA COVID19 Resources
(This is a different Google Doc with a similar name, compiled by the Asian
American Resource Workshop)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-x6vOZKVsla5H363mtdgcyivvLmcx7-f2s6l-O_ba8A/edit?usp=sharing

Cambridge Mutual Aid Network
https://sites.google.com/view/cambridge-nan/home

Mutual Aid Medford and Somerville (MAMAS) network
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1RtYZ1wc8jxcSKDl555WszWhQWlOlSkNnfjIOYV0wXRA/mobilebasic

Food for Free (for Cambridge and Somerville) volunteers to provide lunches for schoolchildren, elderly, and hungry
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSed0cSIoOc7-Fvoms3VHR1Lc44fjql-vTNknz_a-7T_sKDnrw/viewform

My notes to Rebecca Solnit’s A Paradise Built in Hell:  The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster, about how people faced with emergency and disaster usually move towards providing mutual aid, at least until elite panic, a term in disaster studies, kicks in, are available at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2016/07/notes-on-rebecca-solnits-paradise-built.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

Daily Events
Entertainment!!!

————————————————
Monday, May 18 - Friday, May 22
————————————————

MIT COVID19 Challenge

—————————————————
Monday, May 18 - Monday, May 25
—————————————————

Population, Climate Change and Food Security

————————
Monday, May 18
————————

11am  The Amazon and COVID-19: The Present and Future of the Crisis in the Forest
12pm  Gutman Library Book Talk: Schooling for Critical Consciousness: Engaging Black and Latinx Youth in Analyzing, Navigating, and Challenging Racial Injustice
12pm  COVID-19: Keeping our Food Safe During the Pandemic
12:30pm  Women In Energy Virtual Roundtable Discussion: The Role of Natural Gas in the Energy Transition with Erin Blanton, CGEP Senior Research Scholar

————————
Tuesday, May 19
————————

9am  Audacious Education Purposes Book Launch
11:30am  Guiding the Reopening of American Business: An Expert Roundtable
12pm  Kleptocrats, Coronavirus, & How to Combat Them
12:30pm  MIT Press Live! presents a virtual conversation with Wade Roush, author of Extraterrestrials
2pm  Virtual Panel Discussion on How Nonprofit Leaders are Responding to COVID-19
3pm  The Climate Reality Project and Poor People’s Campaign: The Intersection of the Climate Crisis and Social Justice
4pm  The Ethical Algorithm
5pm  Abolish ICE, Not Just a Slogan: Immigrant Justice in the Age of Coronavirus
6pm  Let's Talk About It: Immigrants, COVID-19, Jobs & Healthcare
7pm  Updates to MA Solar Policy & What it Means for Social Equity

——————————
Wednesday, May 20
——————————

10am  Love in the Time of COVID-19
12pm  Incarcerated Populations and COVID-19: Public Health, Ethical, and Legal Concerns
12:30pm  Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Mobilizing Action on Climate during a Global Pandemic: Lessons for Climate Leaders
1pm  COVID-19 & Cities: Multilingual Learners & Families
3pm  Massachusetts Climate Programs & Priorities for 2020 with EEA Undersecretary David Ismay
7pm  Extinction Rebellion Community Meeting
7pm  Accelerating Heat Pumps:  Bringing Sustainable Heating and Cooling to Congregations Soon and in our Time

—————————
Thursday, May 21
—————————

10am  Webinar series on energy innovation: Grid-Scale Energy Storage
11am  Webinar: The Science We Need + The Science We Have: Internationalism in the Pandemic
11am  ASHPs and VRF: How About These HFC Refrigerants?
12pm  Equitable Readiness: Reimagining the Role of the Public Sector in the Wake of COVID-19
12:15pm  A Sense of Purpose: The Bedrock of the U.S. Nuclear Deterrent
2pm  Deep Dive Data Journalism Workshop: Investigating the Land Grant University System
5pm  Harvard President’s Innovation Challenge
5pm  Pandemic Resilience: Work and School
6pm  Journalist Krithika Varagur: Inside the Global Saudi Religious Project
7pm  Environmental Voter Project Training
7pm  Power and the Planet: Energy Policy Solutions
7pm  Mario Livio, "Galileo and the Science Deniers" | Harvard Science Book Talk

———————
Friday, May 22
———————

7:30am  Extinction Rebellion Declare Climate Emergency Stand-in with Shoes
10am  Managing Challenging Conversations in the COVID-19 Era
11am  Boston Innovation: Past Present and Future with Paul Grogan and Friends
12pm  Startup Spotlight 2020 [VIRTUAL]
12pm  EBC Climate Change Leadership Webinar Series: City of Boston 2019 Climate Action Plan
12pm  Tools for Managing the Negotiation Within: The Internal Family Systems Model
3pm  Extinction Rebellion SF [XRSF] Friday Online Activism

—————————
Saturday, May 23
—————————

3pm  Intro To Extinction Rebellion's Self Organizing System

————————
Sunday, May 24
————————

11am  Green Burial: The Environmentally Friendly Option
1pm  Boston Humanists May VIRTUAL Talk: "Are Men Animals?" by Matthew Gutmann

————————
Monday, May 25
————————

10am  Energy Poverty & Energy Storage
6:30pm  Sunrise Movement JEDI Team Game Night

————————
Tuesday, May 26
————————

12pm  Lebanon’s October Revolution: Roots and Trends of a Nationwide Protest
1pm  COVID-19 & Cities: Supporting Aging Populations
1pm  On the Front Lines: Tribal Nations Take on COVID-19

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

——-
Daily
——-

Sunrise Boston Daily Breakfast Boogie! (May 18 - May 22)
8:30am
Online - Zoom link: http://zoom.us/my/brian.sunrise
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/529278624637010/

Covid-19 got you feeling isolated? Lonely? Wanting to start your day off with some connection, laughs, meditation or poetry? Join us for a daily “Breakfast Boogie” hosted by the Member Support Team.

It is so important that we remember and hold onto our connections with one another at a moment in time when we are still going all-out to build a powerful movement to stop climate change. We will be having this gathering on Zoom EVERY WEEK DAY from 8:30-9 am! We may offer different rituals, grounding practices, pair-shares, songs or poetry. Suggestions welcome! Let’s stay grounded and present in community even when we increasingly are apart physically.
Questions: Rosie at rosiemcinnes at gmail.com

———————————

Swing Left Boston Virtual Activism Calendar
https://swingleftboston.org/calendar/category/training-education/

Daily electoral activist events with social distancing kept in mind.

———————————

Entertainment!!!!

Stay At Home Fest - online music and performance events
https://www.stayathomefest.com/#events

Here Are All the Live Streams & Virtual Concerts to Watch During Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9335531/coronavirus-quarantine-music-events-online-streams

A List Of Live Virtual Concerts To Watch During The Coronavirus Shutdown
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/816504058/a-list-of-live-virtual-concerts-to-watch-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

Watch These Livestreamed Concerts During Your Social Distancing
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/all-musicians-streaming-live-concerts.html]

Virtual Art Project (VAP-IT!)
https://sgimproviz.wixsite.com/virtualartproject

Free virtual music, museums, and art round-up
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/16/1927955/-Your-mega-round-up-of-free-music-museums-and-art-to-check-out-virtually-amid-coronavirus-outbreaks

300,000 ebooks to download for free from the NY Public Library
https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/you-can-now-download-over-300-000-books-from-the-nypl-for-free-031820

Free streaming services
https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/streaming-services-free-trial-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Free nonprofit webinars
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ozk1VfHPYlUC6h0XdDtHpsK-PYq4Y6FTnMPh_LliWwM/edit?ts=5e7b5cdf#gid=0

————————————————
Monday, May 18 - Friday, May 22
————————————————

MIT COVID19 Challenge
Monday, May 18 - Friday, May 22
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_W61l0ld5QbCR8tbpj6dWlA

As part of our post-hackathon development, we are launching a series of MIT COVID-19 Challenge Pitch Webinars starting this Friday May 15th through Friday May 22nd to hear from the teams that were formed at the Beat the Pandemic event on April 3-5, 2020 and have since continued their trajectory!  Come support and hear how these teams have pivoted and grown since their birth at the MIT COVID-19 Challenge!

Join us at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_W61l0ld5QbCR8tbpj6dWlA @ 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
More information about the presenting teams can be found at
https://covid19challenge.mit.edu/pitch-webinars-5-20/

—————————————————
Monday, May 18 - Monday, May 25
—————————————————

Population, Climate Change and Food Security
Monday, May 18 - Monday, May 25
Online
RSVP at https://populationenvironmentresearch.org/cyberseminars

Population dynamics are at the center of the climate change-population-food security nexus. On the one hand, not only does population growth contribute to greenhouse gas emissions, it also drives demand for food. Likewise, rising incomes come with changing diets toward animal-based products, which are typically more resource-intensive and display higher environmental impacts. Population size and composition thus influence both climate change and food security. On the other hand, the impacts of climate change on human wellbeing and livelihoods are already being felt. Climate change may affect food security directly by reducing crop yields and available farming land and through adverse impacts on livestock health. Indirect effects of climate change on food security may be observed through reductions in agriculture income, conflict, or impacts on global “breadbaskets” that result in increasing (or volatile) international, national and local food prices. The level of vulnerability and ability to respond and adapt to climate change and subsequent food insecurity varies and reflects individual farmer and community factors as well as broader scale economic, governmental and policy responses. Population dynamics and characteristics thus matters both in terms of population impacts on climate change and food security and in terms of determining who is vulnerable.

Despite the central role demography plays in climate change and food security research, the topics remain understudied among demographers. The understanding of current and future population size, composition and spatial distribution as well as differentials in dietary patterns, vulnerability and adaptive capacity will help policy planning for future climate change. This cyberseminar will focus on the applications of methodological tools and concepts in demography, geography, economics, systems analysis, and other related fields in analyzing the population-climate change-food security nexus. We will explore empirical work and future scenarios that consider the impact of population on climate and food systems and the impact of climate and weather factors and food security on population subgroups and communities. The cyberseminar provides a platform for dynamic engagement between scientists from different disciplinary communities to advance the conversation centered on the nexus of population-climate change-food security.

Organizers:
Raya Muttarak (International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)), Kathryn Grace (University of Minnesota), Bryan Jones (CUNY Baruch), Susana Adamo (CIESIN, Columbia University), Alex de Sherbinin (CIESIN, Columbia University), Andres Ignacio (Environmental Science for Social Change), Leiwen Jiang (Population Council and Asian Population Research Center), and César Augusto Marques (Escola Nacional de Ciências Estatísticas - ENCE)

PERN Cyberseminars are conducted using a standard email discussion list.
To post, send an email to pernseminars at ciesin.columbia.edu
Standards of Conduct

All who are interested in cyberseminar topics are invited to participate and subscription is free. Please adhere to the following standards of conduct when participating.

To ensure that the cyberseminar is successful and that we have a lively intellectual discussion, we would like to ask all the participants to be mindful of a few standards of conduct similar to those you might find in a face-to-face meeting. Please remember :
Respectful disagreement is fine; impoliteness is not accepted.
Opinions are welcome; advocacy is not - this is an intellectual debate, please refrain from using this forum for any advocacy purposes.
Respect other's email space: do not repeat something you have already said and limit yourself to a reasonable number of postings.
With these standards in mind, we look forward to your active participation in the seminar.

————————
Monday, May 18
————————

The Amazon and COVID-19: The Present and Future of the Crisis in the Forest
Monday, May 18
11am
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YPuH1VbySCSSFjf8Wa6nCw

An online dialogue featuring:
Natalie Unterstell, Climate Public Policy Expert, Director, Talanoa Think Tank; Former Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellow, Center for Public Leadership, Harvard University
Fabiano Maisonnave, Amazon Correspondent, Folha de São Paulo; Former Fellow, Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University
Moderated by Ana Laura Malmaceda, Journalist and Translator, P.h.D. Student in Romance Languages and Literatures, Harvard University.

Contact Name:  brazil_office at harvard.edu

—————————————

Gutman Library Book Talk: Schooling for Critical Consciousness: Engaging Black and Latinx Youth in Analyzing, Navigating, and Challenging Racial Injustice
Monday, May 18
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at bit.ly/SchoolingforCC

SPEAKER(S)  Scott Seider, Daren Graves
Schooling for Critical Consciousness addresses how schools can help Black and Latinx youth resist the negative effects of racial injustice and challenge its root causes. Scott Seider, A.B.,’99 Ed.D. ’08, and Daren Graves, Ed.D.’06, draw on a four-year longitudinal study examining how five different mission-driven urban high schools foster critical consciousness among their students. The book presents vivid portraits of the schools as they implement various programs and practices, and traces the impact of these approaches on the students themselves.

Registrants will receive a discount on the book. Stay tuned!

———————————

COVID-19: Keeping our Food Safe During the Pandemic
Monday, May 18
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.nyas.org/events/2020/webinar-covid-19-keeping-our-food-safe-during-the-pandemic/

Ensuring food safety is a major concern during times of crisis. This 75-minute webinar will explore the food safety considerations and implications of a prolonged and global COVID-19 pandemic from both the standpoint of consumer concerns and food production.

In This Webinar, You'll Learn:
Changes to food production (including preparation, handling, and oversight) that have occurred in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic
How the food sector is responding to protect consumers from exposure to COVID-19
How can the health of workers throughout the food supply chain be protected during the current pandemic

Karin Hoelzer, DVM, PhD, Pew Charitable Trusts
Karin Hoelzer, a veterinarian and microbiologist, leads The Pew Charitable Trusts’ work on antibiotic use in animal agriculture and focuses on policies to mitigate health risks related to the food supply. Before joining Pew, Hoelzer developed and led risk assessments for the U.S. FDA, and before that was a research associate at Cornell University, tracing the transmission of pathogens between livestock and humans. She holds doctorates in veterinary medicine from the University of Veterinary Medicine in Hannover, Germany, and in comparative biomedical sciences from Cornell University, where she examined the emergence of viruses and their spread from one species to another. Hoelzer serves as the current Executive Director of the District of Columbia Veterinary Medical Association, and scientific editor for the Elsevier journal Research in Veterinary Science.

Lee-Ann Jaykus, PhD, North Carolina State University
Dr. Lee-Ann Jaykus is a William Neal Reynolds Professor in the Department of Food, Bioprocessing, and Nutrition Sciences at North Carolina State University. Her formal training is in Food Safety/Food Microbiology (Purdue University) and Environmental Sciences/Public Health (the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill). Dr. Jaykus is probably best known for her efforts in food virology, having served as the scientific director of the USDA-NIFA Food Virology Collaborative (NoroCORE project) for over 7 years.  She has 30 years of experience training undergraduate and graduate students in food microbiology; leading food safety research projects; and working with external stakeholders in the food and beverage industry, sanitation and hygiene sector, and with cruise lines.  Her professional activities have included membership on the National Advisory Committee on Microbiological Criteria for Foods (NACMCF); participation in several National Academies consensus studies and as a member of the Food and Nutrition Board; and as a member of the executive board of the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP), for which she served as president in 2010-2011.

———————————

Women In Energy Virtual Roundtable Discussion: The Role of Natural Gas in the Energy Transition with Erin Blanton, CGEP Senior Research Scholar
Monday, May 18
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
Online
RSVP at https://events.columbia.edu/eventregext/uereg/init.do?href=%2Fpublic%2Fcals%2FMainCal%2FCAL-00bb9e25-71debbd3-0171-e06aeda8-000023f2.ics&calsuite=/principals/users/agrp_SIPA_CGEP&formName=WIE_and_Professionals&evcontactemail=energypolicy@columbia.edu

Please join the Women in Energy program for a virtual roundtable discussion with Erin Blanton, CGEP Senior Research Scholar. Ms. Blanton will discuss her academic background and career path covering the energy sector as well as her current research on the role of natural gas in the energy transition.

Biography
Erin Blanton is a Senior Research Scholar at the Center on Global Energy Policy focused on natural gas and renewable energy. Before joining the Center, Blanton spent 16 years at Medley Global Advisors, an independent macro policy research firm. Blanton was a Managing Director and led natural gas and renewable coverage as part of the firm's energy team. Her clients consisted of the world's leading hedge funds, asset managers, and investment banks. Blanton has a master's degree in Energy Policy from Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Cornell University.

Registration is required.
There is limited capacity for this event. We ask that you register only if you are sure you can attend this event in its entirety.

For more information contact: energypolicy at columbia.edu.
Event Contact Information:
Center on Global Energy Policy
energypolicy at columbia.edu

————————
Tuesday, May 19
————————

Audacious Education Purposes Book Launch
Tuesday, May 19
9 – 10:30 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_59GpejPeQEOAFXQQyeSMag

SPEAKER(S)  Fernando M. Reimersm Ford Foundation Professor of the Practice in International Education
Join us for the launch and discussion of this new book examining how education systems are transformed to prepare students for the skills they need today on May 19, 20, and 21st.

Download book at https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030418816

CONTACT INFO	Lee Marmor
lee_marmor at gse.harvard.edu
LINK	https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_59GpejPeQEOAFXQQyeSMag

————————————

Guiding the Reopening of American Business: An Expert Roundtable
Tuesday, May 19
11:30 AM - 12:45 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.nyas.org/events/2020/webinar-guiding-the-reopening-of-american-business-an-expert-roundtable/

Calls have been made to open the U.S. economy and return to "normal" as quickly as possible, but there is much still unknown about the path that the COVID-19 pandemic will take. In partnership with Deloitte, the New York Academy of Sciences is assembling scientific, technological, risk, and operations experts to develop a set of guidelines and protocols for businesses to follow as they transition from modest reopening to full-scale operations. These guidelines will provide confidence and strength to help business leaders and employees evaluate risk and reopen safely.

This webinar will bring together leaders from four critical disciplines to discuss the key elements of a coordinated and scientifically sound road map to provide the nation’s businesses (and their employees, customers, and suppliers) greater clarity and certainty as they transition back to business in the “new normal.”

Panelists will cover topics such as:
How can businesses best ensure the health and safety of their employees and customers while mitigating operational risks and legal liability?
Across industries, do best practices exist for businesses to design a plan, implement procedures, and monitor outcomes?
What new solutions exist to address managing key business activities such as payments, customer contact, and employee/customer interactions in the “new normal”?

————————————

Kleptocrats, Coronavirus, & How to Combat Them
Tuesday, May 19
12 – 1:15 p.m.
Online
RSVP required at https://carrcenter.hks.harvard.edu/event/kleptocrats-coronavirus-how-combat-them

SPEAKER(S)  Judge Mark Wolf, Senior Fellow, Carr Center
Brad Brooks-Rubin, Managing Director, The Sentry
Zorka Milin, Senior Legal Advisor, Global Witness
Moderator: Sushma Raman, Executive Director, Carr Center
DETAILS  The response to the Coronavirus pandemic will prove a bonanza for corrupt leaders who have historically robbed their countries of funds needed for the health and welfare of their citizens as trillions of dollars are disbursed without even the usual, ineffective safeguards. The panelists will discuss the immediate need to enhance transparency and accountability with existing resources, and the ultimate need for an International Anti-Corruption Court to punish and deter the shameless kleptocrats that the pandemic will eventually expose.

Judge Mark Wolf was appointed to the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts in 1985, served as the Chief Judge from 2006 - 2012, and is now a Senior Judge. He previously served in the Department of Justice as a Special Assistant to the Attorney General, Deputy U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts, and Chief of the Public Corruption Unit. Judge Wolf is Chair of Integrity Initiatives International and an Adjunct Lecturer in Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, teaching a seminar on combatting corruption internationally. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and Distinguished Non-Resident Fellow of the Woodrow Wilson Center.

Brad Brooks-Rubin is the Managing Director at The Sentry and former Policy Director. Prior to joining The Sentry, Brooks-Rubin was the first Director for Global Development and Beneficiation at the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). From 2009-2013, he served as the Special Adviser for Conflict Diamonds at the United States Department of State. In this capacity, he provided working level representation for the United States in the Kimberly Process. Brooks-Rubin also contributed to the U.S. efforts related to conflict minerals in eastern Congo, particularly in the area of corporate due diligence and a range of issues related to artistanal mining. He served as an Attorney-Adviser in the Treasury Department's Office of the Chielf Counsel (Foreign Assets Control). Brooks-Rubin is a graduate of Washington University in St. Louis and Georgetown University Law Center.

Zorka Milin is a Senior Legal Advisor with the non-profit organization Global Witness working to tackle corruption and improve transparency in the extraction of natural resources. She previously practiced international tax law with two major global law firms. Milin frequently speaks on transparency, grand corruption, and tax justice and has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, NPR, BBC, Guardian, Bloomberg, AFP, among others. Originally from Serbia, Milin holds a BA in mathematics from Grinnell College, JD and LLM from Cornell Law School, and MA in international relations from Yale University.

Sushma Raman is Carr Center's Executive Director. Sushma brings a rich and diverse background in philanthropy, human rights and social justice through her work in the U.S. and globally with the Ford Foundation and the Open Society Foundations, as well as her experience leading human rights programs, philanthropic collaboratives, and social justice foundations. Sushma’s upcoming book, co-authored with Bill Schulz, The Coming Good Society: Why New Realities Demand New Rights, looks at the coming changes to the human rights landscape and argues that rights must adapt to new technological and scientific realities or risk being consigned to irrelevance.

Registration is required. Head to the weblink to register.
LINK  https://carrcenter.hks.harvard.edu/event/kleptocrats-coronavirus-how-combat-them

————————————

MIT Press Live! presents a virtual conversation with Wade Roush, author of Extraterrestrials
Tuesday, May 19
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/695920917843384/

Are we alone in the universe? If not, where is everybody? In this engaging exploration of one of the most important unsolved problems in science, science and technology writer Wade Roush helps us to explore the question of life, intelligent or otherwise, beyond our planet.

Learn more about the book: https://bit.ly/3cZ4BfV

——————————

Virtual Panel Discussion on How Nonprofit Leaders are Responding to COVID-19
Tuesday, May 19
2-3 pm
Online
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1775225701421698320

Wondering how other nonprofit leaders are responding to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic? Register for a free virtual panel discussion featuring three Massachusetts nonprofit leaders. This panel discussion is co-presented by the Massachusetts Nonprofit Network (MNN) and State House News Service.

The MNN-moderated panel discussion will feature Bob Gittens of Cambridge Children's and Families Service, Celina Miranda of Hyde Square Task Force, and Priscilla Kane Hellweg of Enchanted Circle Theater as panelists. They will discuss the changes they made to their programming, the increases/shifts in demand for their services, and the resources that are needed to respond to the crisis and contribute to long-term recovery efforts.

——————————

The Climate Reality Project and Poor People’s Campaign: The Intersection of the Climate Crisis and Social Justice
Tuesday, May 19
3 PM ET
Online
RSVP athttps://ringcentral.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PiBt5QDWQWWjUBPyHUCc7w

As the global COVID-19 pandemic continues to expose the existing injustices of our society, we’re partnering with the Poor People’s Campaign to ensure that every voice is heard.

The only way to solve the climate crisis is by working together. And to build a winning coalition, we need to understand how this crisis intersects with social inequities like racial discrimination, poverty, and environmental injustice.

We’ll hear from the Poor People’s Campaign Co-Chairs Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II and Dr. Liz Theoharis, as well as Dr. Robert Bullard, Climate Reality board member, Texas Southern University distinguished professor of urban planning and environmental policy, and to many, the “father of environmental justice.”

The webinar will highlight the history of the Poor People’s Campaign, the intersection of climate and environmental justice, and the upcoming digital Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington on June 20, 2020.

We hope you can join us! We’ll work to send out a recording of the webinar, so please RSVPeven if you cannot attend but are interested in learning more.

——————————

The Ethical Algorithm
Tuesday, May 19
4:00pm to 5:00pm
Online
Zoom meeting ID: 949-0309-1399
Join Zoom meeting: https://mit.zoom.us/j/94903091399
YouTube livestream: https://youtu.be/IATv0m5U5z8

IDSS Distinguished Speaker Seminar with Michael Kearns, University of Pennsylvania
Abstract: Many recent mainstream media articles and popular books have raised alarms over anti-social algorithmic behavior, especially regarding machine learning and artificial intelligence. The concerns include leaks of sensitive personal data by predictive models, algorithmic discrimination as a side-effect of machine learning, and inscrutable decisions made by complex models. While standard and legitimate responses to these phenomena include calls for stronger and better laws and regulations, researchers in machine learning, statistics and related areas are also working on designing better-behaved algorithms. An explosion of recent research in areas such as differential privacy, algorithmic fairness and algorithmic game theory is forging a new science of socially aware algorithm design. I will survey these developments and attempt to place them in a broader societal context. This talk is based on the book The Ethical Algorithm, co-authored with Aaron Roth (Oxford University Press).

About the speaker: Since 2002, Michael Kearns has been a professor in the Computer and Information Science Department at the University of Pennsylvania. He holds the National Center Chair and has secondary appointments in the department of Economics, and in the departments of Statistics and Operations, Information and Decisions (OID) in the Wharton School. He is the Founding Director of the Warren Center for Network and Data Sciences, the faculty founder and former director of Penn Engineering’s Networked and Social Systems Engineering (NETS) Program, and a faculty affiliate in Penn’s Applied Math and Computational Science graduate program. Kearns has worked extensively in quantitative and algorithmic trading on Wall Street (including at Lehman Brothers, Bank of America, and SAC Capital). He often served as an advisor to technology companies and venture capital firms. Kearns is also involved in the seed-stage fund Founder Collective and occasionally invests in early-stage technology startups. Kearns is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Alan Turing Institute, and of the Market Surveillance Advisory Group of FINRA. Kearns is an elected Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Association for Computing Machinery, the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, and the Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory. He spent 1991-2001 in machine learning and AI research at AT&T Bell Labs. During his last four years there, Kearns was the head of the AI department. Before joining the Penn faculty in January 2002, Kearns spent 2001 as CTO of the European venture capital firm Syntek Capital and served as an advisor to various startups, including Yodle, Wealthfront, and Activate Networks. In the past Kearns has served as a member of the Advanced Technology Advisory Council of PJM Interconnection, the Scientific Advisory Board of Opera Solutions, and the Technical Advisory Board of Microsoft Research Cambridge.

——————————————

Abolish ICE, Not Just a Slogan: Immigrant Justice in the Age of Coronavirus
Tuesday, May 19
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/abolish-ice-not-just-a-slogan-immigrant-justice-in-the-age-of-coronavirus-tickets-104052301234
Cost:  $0 – $25

Authors John Washington and Justin Akers Chacón discuss how to stand in solidarity with immigrant communities in a time of crisis.

Haymarket Books is an independent, radical, non-profit publisher. Every dollar we take in from book sales and donations goes directly to support our project of publishing books for changing the world—a project has never been more necessary or more urgent. Verso Books is the largest independent, radical publishing house in the English-speaking world, publishing one hundred books a year.

We need your help to continue to do the work. While all of our events are freely available, we ask that those who are able make a solidarity donation so we can continue to do this important publishing and organizing work. All donations will be shared between the sponsoring organizations, Haymarket Books and Verso Books.

Register through Eventbrite to receive a link to the stream on the day of the event.

As coronavirus rages on, immigrant communities are being left to fend for themselves.
Barred from most financial assistance, scapegoated as harbingers of disease, and facing dire conditions in detention; the Trump administration is seizing upon a pandemic to further its nativist agenda.
How can we build a movement to resist the racist attacks on immigrants and demand not only an end to ICE but justice and relief for all immigrants?

John Washington writes about immigration and border politics, as well as criminal justice, photography, and literature. He is also an award winning translator, having translated Óscar Martinez, Anabel Hernández, and Sandra Rodriguez Nieto, among others. His book, The Dispossessed, on the global story of asylum, is forthcoming from Verso Books in 2020.

Justin Akers Chacón, a professor of U.S. History and Chicano Studies in San Diego, California, is the author of Radicals in the Barrio: Magonistas, Socialists, Wobblies, and Communists in the Mexican-American Working Class (Haymarket 2018) and, with Mike Davis, No One is Illegal (Haymarket Books, 2006).

—————————————

Let's Talk About It: Immigrants, COVID-19, Jobs & Healthcare
Tuesday, May 19
6pm
Online
RSVP at https://actionnetwork.org/events/lets-talk-about-it-immigrants-covid-19-jobs-healthcare

Listen to the voices of our undocumented community.

For the first time ever, we are having former presidential candidates Senator Elizabeth Warren, Secretary Julian Castro, and celeb allies from the hit show One Day At A Time join our Let’s Talk About It townhall. We created this welcoming space just for you so that all of us can talk about what’s really going on out there and how everyone, regardless of their immigration status can make it through this pandemic.

—————————————

Updates to MA Solar Policy & What it Means for Social Equity
Tuesday, May 19
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/updates-to-ma-solar-policy-what-it-means-for-social-equity-tickets-105396118628

How do we ensure the recent updates to state solar policy benefit environmental justice communities?

Join Resonant Energy, Vote Solar, and Clean Water Action for a webinar and discussion on the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) and recent updates to the program. We'll be discussing what is needed to ensure there is broadened engagement and benefits for environmental justice communities.
Agenda:
Overview of Solar in Massachusetts - Vote Solar
SMART and Solar Policies - Resonant
Actions you can take - Clean Water Action/Green Justice Coalition

——————————
Wednesday, May 20
——————————

Love in the Time of COVID-19
Wednesday, May 20
10 – 11 a.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-news-and-resources/covid-19-mental-health-forum-series/

SPEAKER(S)  Joanne Davila, Professor & Associate Director of Clinical Training; Department of Psychology, Stony Brook University
Karestan Koenen, Professor of Psychiatric Epidemiology, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
Kristina Korte, Instructor and Clinical Psychologist, Massachusetts General Hospital; Harvard Medical School; Research Associate, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
DETAILS  One of the most significant impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic is its effects on relationships. COVID-19 has created an environment that has changed and often strained relationship dynamics. Yet, people need relationships, and the support they bring, more than ever. In this Forum, Dr. Joanne Davila will discuss challenges that people face and skills they can use to navigate relationships during this difficult time.

LINK  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-news-and-resources/covid-19-mental-health-forum-series/
CONTACT INFO	Shaili Jha
sjha at hsph.harvard.edu
Courtney White
cowhite at hsph.harvard.edu

————————————

Incarcerated Populations and COVID-19: Public Health, Ethical, and Legal Concerns
Wednesday, May 20
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/events/details/incarcerated-populations-and-covid-19

SPEAKER(S)  Jessie Rossman, Staff Attorney, ACLU Massachusetts
Karthik Sivashanker, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine and staff consultation-liaison psychiatrist, VA Boston Healthcare
Joel Thompson, Staff Attorney, Prisoners' Legal Services of Massachusetts and Clinical Instructor, Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project
Moderator: Stephen Wood, Fellow in Bioethics, Center for Bioethics, Harvard Medical School and Visiting Scholar, Petrie-Flom Center for

Prisons, jails, and detention centers have been called ‘a ticking time bomb’ when it comes to COVID-19. One Ohio prison recently found that more than 70% of its inmates are COVID-19 positive. Social distancing is difficult to enact in these facilities, with some prisons stopping visitation and severely limiting the amount of time inmates can spend in common areas to try to limit the spread of the virus. In response, some inmates and detainees have been released, but this is not consistent across the country.
This panel will explore the unique public health challenge of trying to manage COVID-19 within incarceration facilities. We will discuss recent litigation to release people in response to the pandemic. Lastly, we will consider our ethical obligations to incarcerated individuals during a pandemic as well as challenges of releasing individuals without allowing the virus to spread further.

CONTACT INFO	petrie-flom at law.harvard.edu
LINK  https://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/events/details/incarcerated-populations-and-covid-19

————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Mobilizing Action on Climate during a Global Pandemic: Lessons for Climate Leaders
Wednesday, May 20
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.

Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

The coronavirus crisis has shaken the world. Could the global pandemic be a giant reset for the planet? If so, what changes can we expect in the months and years ahead? In this first session of Climate Change Reset, we talk about how the coronavirus crisis will impact everything from the climate movement, to how we craft public policy.
Speakers:  Tzeporah Berman, International Program Director, Stand.Earth
Andrea Reimer, City Leader
Moderators:  Joanna Ashworth, SFU Faculty of Environment
Oliver Lane, SPEC

—————————————

COVID-19 & Cities: Multilingual Learners & Families
Wednesday, May 20
1-2pm
Online
RSVP at https://bostonu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9Otz6xt_QqG0pqQlBaolkw

Please join the Boston University Initiative on Cities for a webinar to learn about the challenges of remote learning on multilingual learners and their families, and what's being done to support them. We'll be joined by:
Speakers:  Christine Leider, Clinical Associate Professor Language Education & Program Director for Bilingual Education & TESOL Licensure at Boston University Wheelock College of Education & Human Development
Jocelyn Lee, Head of the Language Acquisition Department & Grade 5 ESL Teacher at Match Community Day Charter Public School; Part-Time Instructor at Boston University Wheelock College of Education & Human Development
Emily Blitz, English Learner Education Department Chair at Somerville High School

—————————————

Massachusetts Climate Programs & Priorities for 2020 with EEA Undersecretary David Ismay
Wednesday, May 20
3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://ebcne.org/event/ebc-climate-leadership-webinar-massachusetts-climate-programs-priorities-for-2020-with-eea-undersecretary-david-ismay
Cost:  $25 - $120

This EBC leadership webinar will feature David Ismay, the recently appointed Undersecretary for Climate Change for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. His first keynote presentation to the EBC will focus on the administration’s climate programs, priorities, and implementation strategies for 2020 and beyond.

Issues of concern include:
GHG Emission Reductions
Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness
Transportation Climate Initiative
Coastal Flooding
Implementation Advisory Committee
Sea Level Rise
Increased Storm Events
Climate Adaptation Plan
Statewide Hazard Mitigation

Moderated Discussion: Following the presentation by Undersecretary Ismay, Ruth Silman, Chair of the EBC Climate Change Committee, will moderate an open discussion with the audience on climate issues of concern to the EBC membership and their clients.

Keynote Speaker:
David Ismay, Undersecretary for Climate Change, Executive Office for Energy & Environmental Affairs, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Discussion Moderator:
Ruth Silman, Chair, EBC Climate Change Committee; Partner, Nixon Peabody LLP

—————————————

Extinction Rebellion Community Meeting
Wednesday, May 20
7 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/community-meeting-2020-05-20/

Let's check in with each other, find out what's been going on across XR Mass, and maybe even have a little fun!

This meeting will be online via Zoom. The link will be posted here one hour before the event.

—————————————

Accelerating Heat Pumps:  Bringing Sustainable Heating and Cooling to Congregations Soon and in our Time
Wednesday, May 20
7-9 PM
Online
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf38EF_jw86wLvdxG4aCzbUZIKbhIToKAQ_RsiF9_TpjK8bKQ/viewform
Donations Welcome

Dramatic new developments in heat pump deployment are poised to reduce the largest part of our carbon footprint. Prepare your house of worship and lead your community away from fossil-fuel heating and cooling. Attendees will leave empowered to organize, both for the congregation's physical plant and for congregants’ homes and neighborhoods

Up to 3 people from your house of worship (including ideally a facilities person & an organizer)

"Brilliant Solution: GeoMicroDistricts" Audrey Schulman (HEET). Eversource Gas is trying to pilot a method to rapidly transform existing fossil-fuel HVAC into networked ground-source heat-pumps systems, a neighborhood at a time. What we need to do to encourage and hasten the ramp-up.

"Heat Pump Community Coaching: Become the Scout" Steve Breit (HeatSmart Alliance).  Community Coaching is seeding and accelerating the uptake of residential HP technology. Become a Coach, or a Scout, to encourage your fellow congregants

“Heatpumps in Real-World Homes and Buildings” Experienced contractors in moderated discussion:
Rachel White, CEO, Byggmeister Sustainable Design & Build
Joel Boucher, Boucher Energy Systems
Matt Wenzel, Bill Wenzel Heating & Air Conditioning

For questions, please contact us at jewishclimateaction at gmail.com

—————————
Thursday, May 21
—————————

Webinar series on energy innovation: Grid-Scale Energy Storage
Thursday, May 21
10:00am to 12:00pm
Online
RSVP at https://mit.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ma-oVt9CSCm4kcPqUUrpUg

Speakers: Fikile Brushett, Dharik Mallapragada, Donald Sadoway, and Robert Stoner
Introduction by CJ (Changjie) Guo, Program Director, MIT Corporate Relations
The energy sector is facing unprecedented challenges, with the global Covid-19 pandemic complicating an already challenging transition toward a low-carbon future. One of the key elements in addressing both the current pandemic and climate change is with forward-looking collaborations in technology development and innovation-which have long been a hallmark of MIT’s approach to problem solving.

In May, MIT’s Industrial Liaison Program (ILP) and Energy Initiative (MITEI) are pleased to present a special webinar series with leading researchers and experts in the energy domain sharing their views on three important themes: “Energy Transitions & Economics” (May 6th), “Innovations in Critical Low-Carbon Technologies” (May 13th) and “Grid-Scale Energy Storage” (May 21st).

Please join us in these webinars to hear and discuss with the experts so together we will be able to better navigate these difficult times for a successful transition to a sustainable energy future after the current crisis.

————————————

ASHPs and VRF: How About These HFC Refrigerants?
Thursday, May 21
11am-12pm Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://nesea.org/be-event/ashps-and-vrf-how-about-these-hfc-refrigerants

The need to electrify our built environment by integrating Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHPs) and Variable Refrigerant (VRF) systems is clear. Most ASHPs and VRF systems in the US use R-410A, a well-known HFC refrigerant. We know that HFC and other refrigerants have significant Global Warming Potential [GWP] and Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP). It is critical that we understand how these refrigerants work (all are not created equal), how they can be safely installed and maintained, and keep up to date on the latest in refrigerant development and availability.

In this session we will cover the basics of refrigerants and their role in the refrigerant cycle, and in the coefficient of performance [COP] of these systems. We will also dissect the environmental impacts of HFCs from their Global Warming Potential [GWP] to their Life Cycle Climate Performance and evaluate the life safety implications of HFC refrigerants with an introduction to the ASHRAE 15 & 34 standards. We will review previous and current phase-outs for refrigerants, as well as look forward to the next refrigerants for ASHPs and VRF, and building code implications and limitations that are involved.

Finally, we will leave plenty of time for questions with speaker JS Rancourt, the Principal at DXS New England. JS is a mechanical engineering graduate from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and has been applying ASHPs and VRV/VRF technology in cold climates for 8 years and spearheaded the largest VRV project in North America at the time with over 1,400 VRV units. JS primarily works with consulting engineers and building owners, and prides himself on educating the industry on topics such as ASHPs, VRF, refrigerants and strategic electrification of HVAC.

Learning Objectives:
Explain the role of refrigerants in ASHPs and VRF systems
Describe the basic chemistry of refrigerants, and their environmental impact, such as GWP and ODP
Recognize the life safety risks of HFC refrigerants, and explain how to safely apply and run ASHPs and VRF systems through buildings and occupied spaces
Explain the current and future outlook of refrigerants for ASHPs and VRF systems in the US

————————————

Webinar: The Science We Need + The Science We Have: Internationalism in the Pandemic
Thursday, May 21
11:00 AM
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUqf-qhqjosGNe7Aa-H8Aywz3Cq6u4mV4f0

On Thursday, May 21st, we will be co-hosting a webinar on internationalism in the pandemic with our compañerxs from Ciencia para el Pueblo. Far from a secondary issue, internationalism is the reason Science for the People was born. Back then, scientists organized against the use of their labor for oppressive ends during the Vietnam War. Today, Covid19 is magnifiying structural violences and inequalities across borders. It is urgent that we reflect on radical science history, international struggle, and avenues for solidarity. "The Science We Have + The Science We Need: Internationalism in the Pandemic" aims to do just that.

————————————

Equitable Readiness: Reimagining the Role of the Public Sector in the Wake of COVID-19
Thursday, May 21
noon
Online
RSVP at https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/event/2020-equitable-readiness-virtual

With the COVID-19 crisis highlighting long-standing social disparities and vast inequities, some argue that now is the time to imagine an adaptive public health infrastructure that can readily respond to future epidemics. Join us as leading scholars and practitioners discuss how to leverage the policy opportunities the epidemic presents for bold changes that could support a sustained and equitable public health response.

Speakers:
María Belén Power, associate executive director, GreenRoots, Inc.; representative, Green Justice Coalition
Daniel Carpenter, faculty director of the social sciences program, Radcliffe Institute, and Allie S. Freed Professor of Government, Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Sara Bleich, Carol K. Pforzheimer Professor and social sciences advisor, Radcliffe Institute, and professor, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Moderated by Janet Rich-Edwards, codirector of the science program, Radcliffe Institute, associate professor of medicine, Harvard Medical School, and associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

————————————

A Sense of Purpose: The Bedrock of the U.S. Nuclear Deterrent
Thursday, May 21
12:15 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEvdO-sqT4oH9VljkvSrgNBBGATIdqGjGBY

SPEAKER(S)  Lt. Col. William C. Smith, Research Fellow, International Security Program/Project on Managing the Atom

DETAILS  Everyone is welcome to join us online via Zoom! Please register in advance for this seminar:  https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEvdO-sqT4oH9VljkvSrgNBBGATIdqGjGBY
LINK  https://www.belfercenter.org/event/sense-purpose-bedrock-us-nuclear-deterrent
CONTACT INFO	susan_lynch at harvard.edu

————————————

Deep Dive Data Journalism Workshop: Investigating the Land Grant University System
Thursday, May 21
2:00pm to 3:30pm EDT (GMT -0400)
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0gvr4UIfTu23hIzOUWwHkQ

Join journalists Tristan Ahtone and Geoff McGhee and historian Robert Lee on Thursday, May 21, 2020, for a 90-minute webinar workshop focused on exploring and using the data they uncovered for the Pulitzer Center-supported "Land Grab University" investigation by High Country News.

This workshop is designed for university students and professors, as well as journalists and newsrooms who might want to use the data from the project to investigate the land grant university system in their region. Tips for accessing and using the data will be presented and there will be an extended Q&A with the guest speakers.

Please explore the Land Grab Universities maps and data and the related feature story. Get your questions ready for the guest speakers - you can send them prior to the workshop when you register.

This workshop builds on the April 21, 2020, webinar with Ahtone and Lee on the "Land Grab University" reporting project, and a recording of that session is available online.

Ahtone has served as an associate editor for Indigenous affairs at High Country News. An award-winning journalist, Ahtone became editor-in-chief for the Texas Observer in May 2020.

Lee is a lecturer in American History at the University of Cambridge, a fellow of Selwyn College, and a junior fellow at the Harvard Society of Fellows. He earned his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley, a land-grant university.

McGhee specializes in interactive data visualization and multimedia storytelling. He is veteran of publications including The New York Times. He works with Stanford University's Bill Lane Center for the American West, the Water Desk at the University of Colorado Boulder, and other clients including the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Steve Sapienza, the Pulitzer Center's senior strategist on Collaborative News Partnerships, moderates the conversation.
While this event is open to the general public, land and property rights experts, university faculty and students, journalists, and individuals involved with community organizations are especially encouraged to join.

————————————

Harvard President’s Innovation Challenge
Thursday, May 21
5pm - 6pm
Online
RSVP at https://pic2020.innovationlabs.harvard.edu

Change is constant, and the future was always unpredictable. When faced with the opportunities and demands of the future, innovators respond with creativity and resolve. Join the Harvard Innovation Labs as we celebrate this year’s finalist teams through an immersive, interactive virtual awards experience focused on the better future that is to come.

Meet student and alumni venture teams from across Harvard’s 13 schools who are working at the intersections of science, medicine, technology, society, and culture to develop solutions to the world’s most pressing problems. 25 teams will showcase their ventures, and our new Executive Director Matt Segneri will announce who will take home Bertarelli Foundation prizes totaling $510,000.

As the entrepreneurial landscape evolves, curiosity will continue to drive us forward, deepening our connections to the world and to each other.

Be curious with us.

————————————

Pandemic Resilience: Work and School
Thursday, May 21
5:00 PM in Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6a6tGWoCRTOeFS6OZ5NAxQ

We invite you to join us on Thursday, May 21 from 5 - 6 PM (EST) for a conversation between Meredith Rosenthal, Sharon Block, Meira Levinson, and moderated by Carmel Shachar, as they discuss the COVID-19 White Paper Series. This event is co-sponsored by the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics.

In order to successfully combat the COVID-19 epidemic, we need to thoughtfully mobilize and utilize all resources available. The Edmond J. Safra Center’s COVID-19 Response Initiative, a bipartisan group of experts in economics, public health, technology and ethics from across the country, has released the nation’s first comprehensive operational roadmap for mobilizing and reopening the U.S. economy in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis.

We are exploring this operational roadmap to pandemic resilience in a series of events. We will focus on work and schools in this second discussion on reopening the country.

Please register below by noon on Wednesday, May 20, and we will email you the link to access the event on May 21, a few hours before it begins. Registration is limited, but we will also livestream the conversation on our Facebook page.

Meredith Rosenthal, C. Boyden Gray Professor of Health Economics and Policy at the T. H. Chan School of Public Health.
Sharon Block, Executive Director of the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School.
Meira Levinson, Professor of Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Moderated by Carmel Shachar, Executive Director of the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School.

————————————

Journalist Krithika Varagur: Inside the Global Saudi Religious Project
Thursday, May 21
6:00pm EDT (GMT -0400)
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/p&p-varagur-call/register

On Thursday, May 21, 2020, join Pulitzer Center grantee Krithika Varagur as she draws on her extensive reporting experience to tell the story of Saudi influence throughout the world. Varagur will be in conversation with James Palmer, senior editor at Foreign Policy, for this online discussion as part of Politics and Prose's P&P Live! Series.

Varagur's new book, "The Call," focuses on the seven-decade Saudi campaign to spread its conservative brand of Wahhabi Islam worldwide. The Saudi government has spent billions of dollars to propagate its brand of conservative Islam worldwide, often doing so with United States support.

Varagur tracked the results of this ambitious campaign via three vastly different countries, Nigeria, Indonesia and Kosovo, and finds that it has had a broad and uniform effect, especially in sowing intolerance for religious minorities and fueling the rise of Saudi-educated clerics.

Varagur is an award-winning journalist who covers Indonesia for The Guardian, is a National Geographic explorer, and frequently contributes to various other publications including The Atlantic, The Financial Times, 1843, the New York Review of Books, and more. She graduated from Harvard and was a Fulbright scholar at SOAS University of London. Her work focuses on religion and politics and she has reported from over a dozen countries in Asia, Europe, and Africa. She is also an occasional humorist.
Registration required for this free online session. Sign up today!

————————————

Environmental Voter Project Training
Thursday, May 21
7:00PM EASTERN
Online
RSVP at https://www.environmentalvoter.org/events/volunteer-training-webinar-107

Join the Environmental Voter Project for a volunteer training webinar! During the webinar, volunteers will be trained in texting and calling environmental voters using EVP’s unique messaging. All of our webinars are held on Zoom, a video conferencing service. After you sign up you will receive an email with the link to access the webinar. The training will last no longer than 45 minutes. We look forward to seeing you there!

————————————

Power and the Planet: Energy Policy Solutions
Thursday, May 21
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/power-and-the-planet-energy-policy-solutions-tickets-104533865606

with David Sandalow and Melissa Lott, moderated by Alex Halliday, Director
Join the Earth Institute and the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory for an Earth Institute LIVE conversation featuring David Sandalow and Melissa Lott, moderated by Alex Halliday, Director. They will be looking at the way the power grid contributes to global warming and its impact on human health and some of the most innovative ways to change energy policy.
You will receive the link to the event content in your order confirmation email, and in a reminder email before the event starts.

The Speakers:
David Sandalow is the Inaugural Fellow at the Center on Global Energy Policy and co-Director of the Energy and Environment Concentration at the School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University. He founded and directs the Center’s U.S.-China Program and is author of the Guide to Chinese Climate Policy. Mr. Sandalow has served in senior positions at the White House, State Department and U.S. Department of Energy. He writes and speaks widely on climate change and energy policy. Recent works include Industrial Heat Decarbonization Roadmap (December 2019), Guide to Chinese Climate Policy 2019 (September 2019) and Electric Vehicle Charging in China and the United States (February 2019).

Dr. Melissa Lott is a Senior Research Scholar at Columbia University’s SIPA Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) where she leads the center’s renewables and power sector research. She has worked as an engineer and researcher for more than 15 years in the USA, Europe, and Asia, focusing her research on the technological, economic, and public health tradeoffs of changes in the global energy sector. Dr. Lott is internationally recognized for her work on electricity and transportation and has been featured as a Solar 100 Thought Leader, an IEEE Women in Power, and a Forbes 30 under 30 in Energy. She has authored more than 350 scientific articles, columns, op-eds, journal publications, and reports on the energy sector and the energy technology transition. Prior to joining CGEP, Dr. Lott was the Asst. Vice President of the Asia Pacific Energy Research Centre and held roles at the International Energy Agency and U.S. Department of Energy. Throughout, she has worked as an engineer at YarCom Inc. Dr. Lott holds degrees from UC Davis, UT Austin, and University College London.

————————————

Mario Livio, "Galileo and the Science Deniers" | Harvard Science Book Talk
Thursday, May 21
7 – 8 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.crowdcast.io/e/f6re3qg8/register

SPEAKER(S)  Mario Livio
Astrophysicist and bestselling author Mario Livio draws on his own scientific expertise to provide captivating insights into how Galileo reached his bold new conclusions about the cosmos and the laws of nature. A freethinker who followed the evidence wherever it led him, Galileo was one of the most significant figures behind the scientific revolution. He believed that every educated person should know science as well as literature, and insisted on reaching the widest audience possible, publishing his books in Italian rather than Latin.
Galileo was put on trial with his life in the balance for refusing to renounce his scientific convictions. He remains a hero and inspiration to scientists and all of those who respect science—which, as Livio reminds us in this gripping book, remains threatened even today.
CONTACT INFO	science_lectures at fas.harvard.edu
LINK  https://science.fas.harvard.edu/book-talks

———————
Friday, May 22
———————

Extinction Rebellion Declare Climate Emergency Stand-in with Shoes
Friday, May 22
7:30 a.m.
City Hall Plaza, 1 City Hall Square, Boston

Message: Let's demand that the City of Boston declare a climate and ecological emergency. The message behind this action is to learn from our nation's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and make the emergency declaration now and no later. We've proven that society can act swiftly to mitigate an emergency and now it's time to enact this to the scale of the climate crisis.

Action: We're organizing a socially-distanced stand-in at City Hall Plaza. To show that we're taking this pandemic seriously we're going to use shoes to represent the voices of those in XR Mass who want to be there in person and also create symbology of the people that we lost to COVID-19 and will lose to the climate crisis. We're asking those that want to attend in person to please bring 10-20 pairs of shoes with you. If you have pairs to offer someone else to bring you can sign up and we'll organize a drop-off. City Hall is open on Tuesdays and Fridays during COVID hours so we're hoping to get some attention from officials and media. Given there may not be many people in public, this will be a media heavy action for pictures and video.

Time: We are planning for the action to last from 7:30 to 10am to make sure we are there for city hall opening for 8am.

Materials: Please bring any signs or art related to the climate emergency, COVID, or XR, either to hold or to put in some of the shoes. If you have any speeches or quotes related to linking the two crises please bring them to share!

For an idea of what the action will look like take a look at XR Amsterdam's version: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_FjgvyH7e1/

More information at https://xrmass.org/action/shoe_stand_in_200522/

—————————————

Managing Challenging Conversations in the COVID-19 Era
Friday, May 22
10:00 am - 11:30 am
Online
RSVP at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9J6RK2V by May 18th. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance within two
days of their application

During these difficult times, executive directors and organizational leaders seem inundated by the need to have difficult conversations with staff, with landlords, with clients, with suppliers, boards, and community members.? No amount of training will make these conversations easier and the tumult and uncertainty of the moment complexifies what, for most of us, we already find to be a daunting conversation.

During this webinar, participants can expect to:
Learn a framework for understanding and preparing for challenging conversations
Acquire tools on how to manage partisan perceptions, strong emotions, and complicated questions of identity and purpose as they come up in difficult conversations
Manage some of the special complexities posed by the need to have difficult conversations in an age of virtual work and social distancing

Join us as Bob shares his experience providing support to individuals, nonprofits, and corporate organizations and provides tips and insight to help your organization.

About Bob:  Robert Bordone is an internationally-recognized expert, author, speaker, and teacher in negotiation, conflict resolution,
mediation, and facilitation. Currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard Law School, he served on the full-time faculty at Harvard Law School for more than twenty years as the Thaddeus R. Beal Clinical Professor of Law, Director, and Founder of the Harvard Negotiation & Mediation Clinical Program before launching his consulting, advisory, speaking, and training practice.

As a professional facilitator and conflict resolution consultant, Bob works with individual, non-profit, governmental, and corporate clients across many sectors. He specializes in assisting individuals and groups seeking to manage conflicts in highly sensitive, emotional, or difficult situations. He has also trained professionals from virtually every governmental, corporate, educational, and non-profit sector in skills of negotiation, conflict resolution, and handling challenging conversations.

Bob received his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School, and his A.B., summa cum laude, from Dartmouth College where he majored in Government. You can follow him on Twitter with the handle @bobbordone or on his website: www.bobbordone.com

This webinar is ideal for anyone who finds themselves either avoiding or needing to have difficult conversations with colleagues, co-workers, clients, customers, or family members.

Join us on May 22nd to learn more about understanding and preparing for challenging conversations.

—————————————

Boston Innovation: Past Present and Future with Paul Grogan and Friends
Friday, May 22
11:00 am
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-smart-equitable-commonwealth-co-creating-the-society-we-want-tickets-97157333199

Register now to attend the conference! Zoom login information will be shared via email prior to each session. Be sure to sign up for our email list to get updates as future panels are announced.

Paul S. Grogan, President and CEO, The Boston Foundation
Michelle Wu, Boston City Councilor, At-Large
Tanisha M. Sullivan, Esq., President, NAACP Boston Branch
Katharine Lusk, Co-Director, Initiative on Cities, Boston University
Moderator: Tiziana Dearing, Host, Radio Boston on WBUR

—————————————

Startup Spotlight 2020 [VIRTUAL]
Friday, May 22 (More dates through May 29)
12:00pm to 1:00pm
Online
RSVP at http://startupspotlight.mitforumcambridge.org

The Startup Spotlight, usually held in June, has traditionally been a time for us to gather together for a cocktail networking reception, peruse tables of startup demos….and vote for our favorites. While we don’t know what life will be like in June, or even next week, we do know this:

Startups and small businesses are everything for our economy and they need our support and encouragement now more than ever!

So, this year, instead of hosting a one-night, in-person affair, we’re adapting to our new reality and changing things up.

Here’s how
Every week starting April 24, we’ll highlight 4 startups in a series of 6 virtual demo days
Startups (located anywhere!) should apply online to be chosen to demo LIVE to registered attendees (applications will roll over week to week)
Startups chosen will demo LIVE to our weekly audience
The LIVE demos will be recorded and shared for the crowd to vote for their favorites

—————————————

EBC Climate Change Leadership Webinar Series: City of Boston 2019 Climate Action Plan
Friday, May 22
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.boston.gov/sites/default/files/embed/file/2019-10/city_of_boston_2019_climate_action_plan_update_4.pdf
Cost:  $15 -$25

Information for viewing the webinar will be emailed to all registered attendees.
Please contact EBC with any questions.
Learn More about the Impact of COVID-19 on EBC Operations

EBC is excited to present this series of webinars featuring projects and organizations leading the way in climate change adaptation and mitigation in New England. Featuring the nominated projects for the 2020 EBC Annual EBEE Awards Program, this series will focus on the forward-thinking and innovative projects being planned and implemented throughout New England.

This EBC lunchtime webinar will feature Carl Spector, Commissioner for the Environment for the City of Boston. In October 2019, the City of Boston’s Environment Department released the 2019 Climate Action Plan Update, presenting pathways for Boston to reach carbon neutrality by 2050. Carl will review the specific goals and actions that the City will implement to continue to reduce carbon emissions by 50 percent by 2030 (below 2005 levels), and 100 percent by 2050. Carl will also discuss the 18 specific strategies developed.

Join us for this EBC webinar to learn how the Climate Action Plan was updated, who was involved, and what the City of Boston Climate Action Plan has been able to achieve since its inception in 2007.

Speakers:
Carl Spector, Environmental Commissioner, City of Boston
Alison Brizius, Director of Climate and Environmental Planning, City of Boston

Moderator:
Van Du, Sustainability Planner, VHB

————————————

Tools for Managing the Negotiation Within: The Internal Family Systems Model
Friday, May 22
12 – 1 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pLPdjXitTj6aTywSLIfqHg

SPEAKER(S)  David Hoffman, Mediator, Arbitrator, Collaborative Lawyer; Boston Law Collaborative
DETAILS  More than ten years ago, my late wife (psychotherapist Beth Andrews) introduced me to a therapy model called Internal Family Systems (“IFS”). She said it was the most intuitive and non-pathologizing model of psychotherapy that she had encountered, and that her patients quickly grasped it and found it useful. A year later, I was invited to be one of the speakers at a symposium on “The Negotiation Within” sponsored by the Harvard Negotiation Law Review, and I suddenly realized that the IFS model could be adapted for use by negotiators. This paper was my effort to apply IFS to mediation; a shorter discussion of the subject can be found here. The IFS model is not about families – rather, it is about the family-like relationships that our internal parts (ie: internal “voices”) have. For example, most of us have an optimistic part, whose activity within our internal system is tempered by a pessimistic part. We have generous parts, and also parts that are looking out for “number one.” If we feel that our competence has been questioned, we have angry, defensive parts that will rise up to dispute the accusation, so as to protect wounded parts that may fear that we are not as capable as we expect ourselves to be. The churn of these emotions influences our thinking and behavior at the bargaining table and throughout our lives. Experienced negotiators know that not only much of the negotiation process is driven by emotion, but also that the most difficult negotiations are often those that take place internally. The purpose of this session is to explain the model, describe some applications of the model to actual negotiations, and then discuss how it compares to other models that negotiators find useful in explaining the psychological dimensions of negotiation.
LINK  https://www.pon.harvard.edu/events/managing-the-negotiation-within/
CONTACT INFO	dlong at law.harvard.edu

————————————

Extinction Rebellion SF [XRSF] Friday Online Activism
Friday, May 22
3 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/j/727108084?pwd=YVhTOTk1TFlodzMwc3ZqWkg2ckNoZz09 Meeting ID: 727 108 084 Password: 082166 One tap mobile +16699006833,,727108084# US (San Jose)

XRSF has been holding weekly online activism with a regenerative atmosphere.

We are in extraordinary times, but this is still a good time to spread messages of hope, empowerment, support, compassion, empathy and ACTION. Join us on Fridays for some connection and activism.

CALL AGENDA (HIGH LEVEL): 10m check-in & land acknowledgement 10m calm the limbic system (Guided meditation, poems, qigong, laughter yoga) 15-20m digital activism in breakout rooms 15-20m mutual aid (Sharing what you need with the group, in breakout rooms & sheet) 10m calm the limbic system (Exercise, meditation, gratitudes)

The call will run from 3-4pm EST.

—————————
Saturday, May 23
—————————

Intro To Extinction Rebellion's Self Organizing System
Saturday, May 23
3 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/uZYvfu-prDIiQGhMcCpjM19J0yu44C7mWQ

A mass movement has to unlock the leadership and creativity of far more people than a top-down structure will allow. XR's approach to governance has been vital to our growth and effectiveness, and a shared understanding of our structure and decision-making will be key to continued success!

This training covers the building blocks of SOS, including: 1) working groups and mandates 2) creating roles that empower people to get stuff done 3) making decisions and learning from them

This training will be 3-5pm

————————
Sunday, May 24
————————

Green Burial: The Environmentally Friendly Option
Sunday, May 24
11AM
Online
RSVP at https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=4d21f53f8e&e=3e8e4cf5c6>
and YouTube https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=3328f6b21e&e=3e8e4cf5c6>.

Green burial is a way to care for the dead with minimal  environmental impact. Find out about the work of Green Burial Massachusetts and what we are doing to create options for green burial in Massachusetts.

Judith Lorei is the President of Green Burial Massachusetts and a green burial educator and advocate. She is a member of the Montague, MA Cemetery Commission and a former board member of the Funeral Consumers Alliance of Eastern Massachusetts.

Music by David Dodson https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=a4cd5d5cb8&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*
David Dodson writes great songs that run the gamut of American styles-folk, rock, blues, jazz and country. They cover a variety of topics and range from poignant to hilarious. He was a winner of the "New Folk" contest at the Kerrville Folk Festival.

————————————

Boston Humanists May VIRTUAL Talk: "Are Men Animals?" by Matthew Gutmann
Sunday, May 24
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/GreaterBostonHumanists/events/270658791/

Hopefully this finds you all safe! We are pausing our usual physical community get-togethers, as we help each other in this time of mutual care.

We're having our first Zoom meeting as GREATER BOSTON HUMANISTS, at our usual Sunday afternoon time, 1 pm, on May 24. So you can attend from home!

May Talk “Are Men Animals?”
Professor Gutmann will join us to discuss his new book "Are Men Animals?: How Modern Masculinity Sells Men Short" (Basic Books, 2019). Gutmann's timely work explores the topic of masculinity, toxic and otherwise, on a global scale. Through his anthropological research of "maleness" and "masculinity" in various cultures and countries, Gutmann demonstrates the complexity of gender by tackling the prevailing myths such as the role of testosterone and its relation to violence.

Gutmann convincingly argues that assessing maleness means looking beyond biology, since biology alone cannot explain these variabilities. "Biological extremism about men and boys is nonsense," he writes, stressing that the expression "boys will be boys" gives males a free pass to engage in bad behavior. The real-world consequences of such thinking, writes the author, include the 2016 election of Donald Trump and the 2018 confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Matthew Gutmann is Professor of Anthropology at Brown University. His books include The Meanings of Macho: Being a Man in Mexico City; The Romance of Democracy: Compliant Defiance in Mexico City; Fixing Men: Sex, Birth Control and AIDS in Mexico; and Are Men Animals: How Modern Masculinity Sells Men Short.

————————
Monday, May 25
————————

Energy Poverty & Energy Storage
Monday, May 25
10:00 AM  11:00 AM
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/j/94050724503

Enass Abo-Hamed will be speaking on energy poverty and the gap that clean energy and energy storage can bridge for millions in the world. She will highlight the role of companies like H2GO Power in addressing climate change using zero-emission solutions and focusing on Hydrogen, as well as her company’s latest innovation around decarbonising air travel.

About our speaker:
Enass is the co-founder and CEO at H2GO power ltd; an award winning spin-out company from the University of Cambridge developing energy storage technologies. She completed her PhD at Cambridge University, where she also was a postdoctoral fellow and elected Cambridge University Energy Champion. Currently she is also a Royal Academy of Engineering Enterprise Fellow and a technology expert consultant to European Commission (REA).

There will be a ~20 minute Q&A at the end, open to all participants.

———————————

Sunrise Movement JEDI Team Game Night
Monday, May 25
6:30 PM – 8 PM
Online
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/952034101920136/

Come join the JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) team for some fun games and socializing! This will not be a meeting where we discuss organizing work unless it comes up naturally. This will be a space to play games, have fun, and get to know each other a little bit :) Hope to see you there!! And if you are looking to join the team we also have a meeting the following day which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/events/171626067557695/

You need: Wifi, a device that can access zoom, creativity, a positive attitude

We will provide: a link to the zoom, the games, other people looking to play games, have fun, and get to know each other :)

————————
Tuesday, May 26
————————

Lebanon’s October Revolution: Roots and Trends of a Nationwide Protest
Tuesday, May 26
12 – 1:30 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcudO2urjwiHtwW4WkoBolmHZxdp7kd6Yqk

SPEAKER(S)  Christiana Parreira
DETAILS  A webinar with Christiana Parreira, Pre-doctoral Research Fellow at the Middle East Initiative and PhD candidate in Political Science at Stanford University. Moderated by MEI Faculty Chair, Professor Tarek Masoud.
This seminar will be conducted via Zoom Webinar. Please register in advance:  https://harvard.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcudO2urjwiHtwW4WkoBolmHZxdp7kd6Yqk
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
LINK  https://www.belfercenter.org/event/lebanons-october-revolution-roots-and-trends-nationwide-protest

———————————

COVID-19 & Cities: Supporting Aging Populations
Tuesday, May 26
1pm
Online
RSVP at https://bostonu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AKKjTm9cS_yCe8_ddfi87A

Please join the Boston University Initiative on Cities (IOC) for a webinar to learn about the challenges and trends that aging populations face as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how cities are responding. Emily Robbins, MetroBridge Program Manager of the Initiative on Cities, will moderate and be joined by:
Bronwyn Keefe, Director of the Boston University Center for Aging and Disability Education Research (CADER) and Research Assistant Professor at the Boston University School of Social Work
Antron Watson, Age-Friendly Director for AARP Massachusetts

——————————

On the Front Lines: Tribal Nations Take on COVID-19
Tuesday, May 26
1 – 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://ash.harvard.edu/os_events/nojs/registration/1304253

SPEAKER(S)  Dr. Laura Hammitt, Director of Infectious Disease Programs, Johns Hopkins University Center for American Indian Health
Prof. Joe Kalt, Ford Foundation Professor (Emeritus) of International Political Economy & Co-Director, Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development
Mr. Del Laverdure, Attorney. Former Acting Assistant Secretary, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary & Deputy Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs, US Dept. of the Interior
Hon. Stephen Roe Lewis, Governor, Gila River Indian Community, HKS MPA 2006
Megan Minoka Hill, Moderator, Program Director, Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development & Director, Honoring Nations
DETAILS  Like governments around the world, America’s 574 federally recognized tribal nations are racing to protect their citizens from the coronavirus. Impacting tribes at a rate four times higher than for the US population, the pandemic is testing the limits of tribal public health infrastructures. Simultaneously, shuttered casinos and other business enterprises are crippling tribal economies. Coupled with an inefficient federal response, resources to provide critical governmental services are being rapidly depleted, intensifying the crisis.

To learn more about how tribal nations are taking on COVID-19, please join the Harvard Kennedy School’s Ash Center for an insightful conversation featuring:
LINK  https://ash.harvard.edu/event/front-lines-tribal-nations-take-covid-19
CONTACT INFO	info at ash.harvard.edu

**********
—————
Upcoming
—————
**********

——————————
Wednesday, May 27
——————————

COVID-19: Food Security in the Pandemic
Wednesday, May 27
11:30 AM - 12:45 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.nyas.org/events/2020/webinar-covid-19-food-security-in-the-pandemic/

The agricultural value chain—all that happens from farm to fork—is complex and its ability to put food on our tables can be affected by the pandemic in countless ways: the mobility of (often foreign) farmhands may be hampered by lockdowns. Equipment needed by agricultural workers (e.g. pesticide masks) may be in short supply. The need to redirect produce (e.g. from school canteens to supermarkets) can create scarcities or overstocks. As markets adjust to those, specific populations may be at greater risk than others: the closing of school lunches, or the shutting of restaurants and small shops, can create food deserts or affect the most vulnerable disproportionately. This webinar will deconstruct and explain the agricultural value chain, examine the mechanisms in place to assess its processes and dependencies, and identify how populations with special needs can be supported through this period.

In This Webinar, You'll Learn:
Factors that affect the food supply chain and how it affects our collective food security
Domestic and global angles of the food supply chain, including the current shocks and responses to disruptions
Identify how populations with special needs can be supported through this period

Maximo Torero, Ph.D., Food and Agriculture Organization
Maximo Torero is a Peruvian economist, currently chief economist and assistant director general for the Economic and Social Development Department at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Between 2016 and 2018, he served as executive director for Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay at the World Bank. From 2004 to 2016, Torero was division director of the Markets, Trade, and Institutions Division at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). He also led the Global Research Program on Institutions and Infrastructure for Market Development and was Director for Latin America. He has published widely on the economics of global markets and trade.

John Newton, Ph.D., American Farm Bureau Federation
Dr. John Newton is Director of Market Intelligence for the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFB). His work in the agricultural sector spans over the last decade. From 2004 to 2014 he served as an Agricultural Economist for USDA on issues related to commodity risk management and marketing, and as a 2013 fellow on the United States Senate Agriculture Committee. He next served USDA’s Office of the Chief Economist, helping to prepare the 2014 Farm Bill. Following this, Dr. Newton was on faculty at the University of Illinois then relocated to Washington DC in 2014, where he first served as Chief Economist for National Milk Producers Federation before occupying his current position of Director of Market Intelligence at the AFB.

——————————————

Climate Change Reset: Learning from the Global Pandemic
Communicating Urgency: Motivating and Equipping the Public for Climate Action
Wednesday, May 27
12:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-reset-learning-from-the-global-pandemic-tickets-102800125944?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

We are at a profound crossroads with respect to understanding and leveraging this moment of crisis into new possibilities for climate action.
Over the course of five 90-minute sessions, we will discuss climate leadership, climate policy, communication and the need for collective action. We will hear from climate scientists, policy experts and communications leaders. We will think collaboratively about what new stories are needed at this moment, and what the pandemic is teaching us about strategy, system change and action.

The global pandemic feels like an immediate and personal threat. But, for millions around the world, climate change still does not have the same sense of urgency as Covid-19. Why is that? What are some of the blind spots in terms of how we communicate climate risk? How do we mobilize different audiences for climate change – from those that are already very engaged, to lower-involved groups – to take climate action?
Speakers:
Shane Gunster, Associate Professor, School of Communication, SFU
Kamyar Razavi, PhD Candidate, School of Communication, SFU
Moderator:
Joanna Ashworth, SFU Faculty of Environment

———————————

COVID-19 & Cities: Supporting Aging Populations
Wednesday, May 27
1-2pm
Online
RSVP at https://bostonu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AKKjTm9cS_yCe8_ddfi87A

Please join the Boston University Initiative on Cities (IOC) for a webinar to learn about the challenges and trends that aging populations face as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and how cities are responding. Emily Robbins, MetroBridge Program Manager of the Initiative on Cities, will moderate and be joined by:

Speakers:  Bronwyn Keefe, Director of the Boston University Center for Aging and Disability Education Research (CADER) and Research Assistant Professor at the Boston University School of Social Work
Antron Watson, Age-Friendly Director for AARP Massachusetts

————————————

Talks @ Pulitzer: Syria and U.S. Foreign Policy
Wednesday, May 27
2:00pm EDT (GMT -0400)
Online
RSVP at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NxTFmZCfSsOoqdEFLZfMaw

President Trump has said of Syria, “Let the other people take care of it now.” His repudiation of responsibility is striking, given that during his Administration the U.S. military, in its zeal to destroy isis, has reduced huge swaths of the country to wasteland.

Editor's Note: This event has been rescheduled from May 14 to May 27.
On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, please join us for an online Talks @ Pulitzer, as New Yorker contributing writer Luke Mogelson considers U.S. foreign policy revolving around Syria.

For his Pulitzer Center-supported project, "Abandoned," Mogelson spent a month in northern and eastern Syria, reporting on the fallout of U.S. disengagement from the country. For six years, the U.S. military had supported the Syrian Democratic Forces in its campaign to defeat ISIS.

Then the situation changed: Turkey attacked, President Trump ordered the withdrawal of American troops from Syria and the S.D.F. negotiated an accord with the Syrian regime and its patron, Russia, upending the strategic balance in the country.
A contributing writer at The New Yorker, Mogelson has also reported on the conflict in Iraq and the Ebola epidemic in West Africa. Between 2011 and 2014, he was based in Afghanistan for the New York Times Magazine.

Registration required for this free webinar. Sign up today!

—————————
Thursday, May 28
—————————

Finch Cambridge: Truly Affordable Passive House
Thursday, May 28
2pm-3pm Eastern Time
Online
RSVP at https://nesea.org/be-event/finch-cambridge-truly-affordable-passive-house

Finch Cambridge is the largest new construction affordable housing development in the City of Cambridge, MA in 40 years. As a Passive House project with a 105 kW PV array on the roof, it will also be one of the most operationally energy efficient buildings in Massachusetts. Currently in the final months of construction, this project has many important lessons to teach teams interested in Passive House certification. This webinar will focus on challenges, approaches tried, and how our extensive team of designers, builders and consultants worked together to execute. We will share details that are affected by sequence and how we worked collaboratively to ensure they could be implemented; strategies for dialogue with the GC and appropriate trades on site intended to ensure appropriate awareness of goals, sequence and constructability; and our approach to testing and performance data received at various stages of the project.

Learning Objectives
Convey Passive House principles in practice and describe how they make good building science sense, and educate and onboard a new team in order to achieve the craft we need in the field to execute a Passive House building
Demonstrate techniques to create an airtight envelope and minimize thermal bridging
Analyze strategies and common recommendations in Passive House feasibility studies, and discuss big ticket items that if considered early put a project on a path to Passive House certification
Appraise design iterations of energy modeling in multi-family projects with an eye towards energy efficiency and Passive House certification

————————————————
Friday, May 29 - Sunday, May 31
————————————————

MIT COVID19 Beat the Pandemic II Application
Friday, May 29 to Sunday, May 31
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf3qMAnJvcjt0oY3d03JJb7CXN1Kj-x6kmBs67SA1-ucGx3vQ/viewform?mc_cid=f04cbecacf&mc_eid=e10cc27a1a

What is the MIT COVID19 Beat the Pandemic II.
A 48-hour virtual hackathon with the goal to develop solutions that address the most pressing technical, social, and financial issues caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.

———————
Friday, May 29
———————

[...]

"LIVING WITHOUT WORKING"
Friday, May 29
2 pm (EST)
Online
RSVP at

Living Without Working and will feature international economist, Daniel Susskind who joins us from Balliol College, Oxford.  Daniel Susskind will talk about his latest book,
"A WORLD WITHOUT WORK: Technology, Automation and How We Should Respond". Susskind was a policy adviser for the prime minister's strategy unit and a senior adviser in the Cabinet office of the British government.

———————————

Strengthening the Commonwealth through Cross-Municipal Collaboration
Friday, May 29
3:30 pm
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-smart-equitable-commonwealth-co-creating-the-society-we-want-tickets-97157333199

Register now to attend the conference! Zoom login information will be shared via email prior to each session. Be sure to sign up for our email list to get updates as future panels are announced.

Impact of Aging Populations on Municipal EMS Services and Costs in Massachusetts
Presenter: Michael Ward, University of Massachusetts, Boston
Coalition Mapping to Promote Mental Health and Racial Equity
Presenter: Min Ma, MXM Consulting
Getting Students Civically Engaged Through Project-Based Teaching and Learning
Emily Robbins, Boston University
Moderator: Ben Levine, Executive Director, Metrolab Network

————————
Sunday, May 31
————————

Treasures from Community Church of Boston's Archives
Sunday, May 31
11AM Service
Online
RSVP at https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=4d21f53f8e&e=3e8e4cf5c6>
and YouTube https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=3328f6b21e&e=3e8e4cf5c6

On the occasion of Community Church's One Hundredth Anniversary, we will take a tour of a century of our record of documents, bulletins, brochures, publications, newsletters and meeting minutes. What a story there is to tell! Let?s not only reminisce, but even more, let us be inspired by who we are, where we?ve been, and where we're headed.

Music by Rob Flax https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=4b882f7e6b&e=3e8e4cf5c6>
Rob Flaxis an award-winning multi-instrumentalist, composer, and educator from Evanston, IL with a playful heart and an open mind. As a composer,Rob has written music for choreographers, film (including work on the
soundtrack of James Franco's film As I Lay Dying), and several original projects. Listen to Rob's music at https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=f6d6e56adb&e=3e8e4cf5c6

————————
Monday, June 1
————————

US Foreign Policy and China
Monday, June 1
6:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Online
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/us-foreign-policy-and-china-registration-104650061150

Lucy Hornby, a fellow at the Nieman Center for Journalism and former Beijing deputy bureau chief for the Financial Times, and Yasheng Huang, MIT professor of international management, discuss US foreign policy challenges and opportunities with Anthony Saich, Harvard professor of international affairs and director of the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation. This program is co-presented with the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation.

Register for this free virtual Kennedy Library Forum to receive an email reminder with a viewing link before the event.

————————
Tuesday, June 2
————————

[Virtual] Data and COVID-19:  Health Data, Contact Tracing, and Misinformation, Privacy & Security
Tuesday, June 2
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM ET
Online
RSVP at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07eh293qrw2a128511&oseq=&c=&ch=

Timothy Caulfield
I. Glenn Cohen
Jackie Olson
Carmel Shachar
John Snow famously used data to trace the source of a cholera outbreak, helping found the field of epidemiology. Data will play just as crucial a role in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic. Cell phone geolocation data can help us contact trace. Individuals can use websites to report symptoms, both allowing us to triage patients to hospitals and recognize where outbreaks are flaring. While we remain at home, digital communication is the best method for releasing important public health information, such as the need to wash our hands or wear masks. Data can also raise questions and concerns. How can we respect privacy rights in an age of public health surveillance? How will large data holders and governments use the information we report them? How can we avoid misinformation spreading and undermining best public health practices?

Timothy Caulfield, I. Glenn Cohen, and Jackie Olson, will explore three areas of opportunity and concern for data in the COVID-19 pandemic, in a discussion moderated by Carmel Shachar:
contact tracing programs, including AI surveillance;
the role of big data holders in COVID-19 efforts; and
the impact of misinformation/disinformation.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Local Voices Network (lvn.org) was hosting conversations across Boston in gathering places such as libraries, community centers, etc. with residents to surface underheard voices and to better understand hopes and concerns, which are then made available to all participants as well as members of the media.

We have recently transitioned our conversations over to Zoom, and have been hosting conversations with people across our chapters (MA, NY, WI, AL) acutely affected by COVID-19 (food pantry and grocery store workers, faith leaders, students/professors, etc.) and some really powerful stories have emerged.

We are now opening the conversations up to anyone in our communities who wants to come together and share their frustrations, struggles, and hopes surrounding COVID-19 in a 3-5 person (60-75 min) conversation. Each conversation will be recorded, transcribed, indexed using natural language processing (AI) technology, and made available to policy makers and our media partners (such as the Boston Institute of Nonprofit Journalism and WBUR).

I'll be hosting three conversations in the next couple of weeks that I wanted to invite you to join. Please find the links online at lvn.org/boston.
Thanks and take care,
Jess

Jess Weaver
Head of Local Voices Network - Boston
Cortico: fostering a healthy public sphere
jess at lvn.org
617.655.8412

————————————

Living With Heat - Urban Land Institute report on expected climate impact in Boston
https://boston.uli.org/about/impact/

————————————

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Boston Science Lectures:  https://sites.google.com/view/bostonsciencelectures/home
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/
Extinction Rebellion:  https://xrmass.org/action/
Sunrise Movement:  https://www.facebook.com/SunriseBoston/events/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse. To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.