[act-ma] 10/04 “Boston Suffrage and Activism in 1919”with Pam Swing-Music by Cosy Sheridan

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Oct 2 17:59:04 PDT 2020

CCB Sunday, October 4 @11AM: “Boston Suffrage and Activism in 1919”with
Pam Swing-Music by Cosy Sheridan
Here is what's happening this Sunday at Community Church of Boston!

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/e316a462e8ea/ccb-newsletter-sep-22-dec-1-4420238?e=3e8e4cf5c6>

*Sunday,
October 4, 2020
at 11:00 AM*

  *“Boston Suffrage and Activism in 1919” with Pam Swing*

/Members of the Six Point Group. Left to right: Monica Whately, Betty
Archdale, Ruby Rich, Florence McFarland, Betty Gram Swing and Frances
Slimon/

One hundred years ago, women won the right to vote. There were many key
moments along the way. One was a little-known incident in Boston, when
suffragists, including Pam Swing’s grandmother, Betty Gram Swing were
jailed for picketing President Woodrow Wilson. Swing has written a play
about this incident. She will discuss her research on the suffrage
movement and show scenes from her play “I Want To Go To Jail”.

*Pam Swing* is a Resident Scholar at the Brandeis Women’s Studies
Research Center. She is currently researching the suffrage movement and
her grandmother, Betty Gram Swing. Pam’s upcoming creative nonfiction
book will chronicle her grandmother’s journey to become a suffragist.
Pam is also a musician, a folklorist, and has researched extensively the
Shetland Isles of Scotland’s tradition of fiddle music.

*Music by Cosy Sheridan*
/Cosy Sheridan first appeared on the national folk scene in 1992 when
she won the songwriting contests at The Kerrville Folk Festival and  The
Telluride Bluegrass Festival.  The Boston Globe wrote: ”she is now being
called one of the best new singer/songwriters”. /

*Please support CCB*
/Fighting for Peace and Justice since 1920/
paypal.me/CCBJustice
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=dc6e9fc47e&e=3e8e4cf5c6>

*Zoom Link to our program: **https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5183695800?pwd=
QThXOU9Db0l3MEh2ZUkrVkt1K0UyUT09
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=4c4ea57ae2&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*

*One tap mobile***(for cell phone users)
*+19292056099 US*

*To access by phone:*
*+1 929 205 6099 *

*Meeting ID:* *518 369 5800*
*Password: 230417*
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=b40a028e9f&e=3e8e4cf5c6>

*Our Purpose*
Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all
forms of social and economic life.
*Staff*
*Christle Rawlins-Jackson,*
Office and Publications Manager
Dean Stevens, Interim Administrator
*Luis Alonzo Guzman,* Custodian and Cook
*Xinli Xu,* Bookkeeper

*Board of Directors*
Charlie Welch, President
Alan Clemence, Vice President
Sandra Ruiz-Harris, Treasurer
Dick Keshishian, Clerk
Jim Casteris, Ron Elbert, Ed Pazzanese, David Woodruff, Judith Woodruff

      *Thanks for Reading*

The team at the Community Church of Boston wants to extend a hearty
'thank you' to all of our wonderful readers. You make our community
shine, and we want to keep that going! If you're not a regular just yet
v <#communitychurchofboston.org>isit our web site
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=4aeb7fc62c&e=3e8e4cf5c6> to
learn more about us.

/Copyright © 2020 Community Church of Boston, All rights reserved./
You're receiving this email because you provided Community Church of
Boston with your email address at a Sunday forum or other event.

*Our mailing address is:*
Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02116