[act-ma] Tonight @ 7:00 Jeremy Brecher on Humanity's Toolbox for Survival (1/13/22 7:00 p.m.)

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Thu Jan 13 08:50:56 PST 2022

Tonight, we're hosting Jeremy Brecher who will be speaking to his book
"Common Preservation: In a Time of Mutual Destruction." Please join the
conversation on Zoom or watch the live stream on Facebook. The event is
co-sponsored with Jeremy's publisher, PM Press.

Lena Durkin & Joe Ramsey talk w/"Strike!" author, Jeremy Brecher, about his
latest book, "Common Preservation: In a Time of Mutual Destruction."
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/encuentro5/thursday-jeremy-brecher-on-humanitys-toolbox-for-survival-11322-700-pm-4939575?e=197ff7c2ec>
  Come talk with Jeremy Brecher (*Strike!, Globalization from Below)
*About Humanity's
Toolbox for Survival
*THURSDAY, JANUARY 13, 2022, 7:00 P.M. (LIVE ON ZOOM
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=64ed50e64b&e=197ff7c2ec>)*
Friends,
Never before has humanity as a whole faced so many overlapping, mutually
reinforcing existential threats. Objectively speaking it is overwhelming,
and yet, based on past struggles and movements, Jeremy Brecher finds
grounds for hope. He does not turn to our corporate and government rulers
but to our social movements. This practical turn, together with Brecher's
decades-long organizing and intellectual journey, is described in Jeremy's
new book, *Common Preservation: In a Time of Mutual Destruction*.

Here's how *Common Preservation*
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=20ffcea4a3&e=197ff7c2ec>
's publishers describe the book:

As world leaders eschew cooperation to address climate change, nuclear
proliferation, economic meltdown, and other threats to our survival, more
and more people experience a pervasive sense of dread and despair. Is there
anything we can do? What can put us on the course from mutual destruction
to common preservation? In the past, social movements have sometimes made
rapid and unexpected changes that countered apparently incurable social
problems. Jeremy Brecher presents scores of historical examples of people
who changed history by adopting strategies of common preservation, showing
what we can we learn from past social movements to better confront today’s
global threats of climate change, war, and economic chaos.
Praise for *Common Preservation*

“Jeremy Brecher’s work is astonishing and refreshing; and, God knows,
necessary.”
—Studs Terkel

“Chapter by chapter, I learn from it; and I admire its ambition. When I
sampled it, it engaged me so much that I set aside other work until I
finished it. Overall, a fine manuscript. Rich in content. Also engaging. Is
it not all or part of a philosophy or worldview?”
—Charles Lindblom, Sterling Professor Emeritus of Political Science and
Economics at Yale University; author of *The Market System*

“Ever since I read the draft of *Common Preservation *a year ago, I’ve been
compelled to urge a surprising variety of colleagues to read it, above all
else, to understand the history, the successes, the failures, and the
profound lessons to be learned from social justice movements: professional
and volunteers organizers and activists, engaged citizens who yearn to be
more effective. This history is systematically informed by an
extraordinarily broad, cross-disciplinary reach for scholarly works that
provide practical insight to the lessons to be learned. I know that I am
not alone in finding much scholarly work difficult to relate to my
experience as an advocate. By integrating the direct experience of the
author with such work, he has enabled me to do just that.”
—Mike Pertschuk, former chair, Federal Trade Commission

“It is an autobiography of intellectual exploration and of practical
experimentation with the problems of social injustice. It is a project of
the urgent transmission of the lessons learned undertaken under the duress
of historical time which threatens catastrophe. It is a valedictory and an
exhortation.”
—Joshua Dubler, Society of Fellows, Columbia University; author of *Down in
the Chapel: Religious Life in an American Prison*

“We’ve been talking about turning everyday life and its challenges into a
meaningful political strategy for ages. Finally *Common Preservation *succeeds
in doing it. Engrossing.”
—Ferdinando Fasce, author of *An American Family: The Great War and
Corporate Culture in America*

*About the Contributors:*

*Jeremy Brecher* has participated in movements for nuclear disarmament,
civil rights, peace, international labor rights, global economic justice,
accountability for war crimes, climate protection, and many others. He is
the author of fifteen books on labor and social movements, including the
national best seller *Strike!* He has received five regional Emmy awards
for his documentary film work. He is currently policy and research director
for the Labor Network for Sustainability.

JOIN US ON ZOOM
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=60175a68b5&e=197ff7c2ec>
OR WATCH LIVE ON FACEBOOK
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=06d65ef45d&e=197ff7c2ec>

For past episodes, visit Shelter and Solidarity
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=e70b4767cf&e=197ff7c2ec>
.
*Copyright © 2022 encuentro5, All rights reserved.*
We set up this list to provide updates to activists and concerned
individuals who have provided their addresses at events organized by
Massachusetts Global Action and encuentro5. These events include Color of
Water conversations, peace movement activities, pro-immigrant actions, and
Downtown Workers Center programming and outreach, teach-ins and tabling.
These updates are sent out 3 - 4 times a month.

*Our mailing address is:*
encuentro5
565 Boylston Street
4th floor
Boston, MA 02116

Add us to your address book
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/vcard?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=63bf135013>

You can update your preferences
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/profile?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=63bf135013&e=197ff7c2ec&c=39e13a4d56>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=63bf135013&e=197ff7c2ec&c=39e13a4d56>.

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&afl=1>