[act-ma] 5/15 CCB Sun. 11AM-EST: “Recollection, Revision, & Reframing” with Andy Davis & Eroc Arroyo

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed May 11 21:26:06 PDT 2022

Community Church of Boston <info at communitychurchofboston.org> writes

🌎 CCB Sun. May 15th @11AM-EST: “Recollection, Revision, & Reframing”
with Andy Davis & Eroc Arroyo
*Here is what's happening virtually and in person at Community Church of
Boston!*

View the full graphical version of this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/communitychurchofboston/ccb-may-june-newsletter-featuring-andy-davis-eroc-arroyo-may-15th-4761870?e=3e8e4cf5c6>

*CCB  SUNDAYS & More*
*May 15 - June 19 2022, 11 AM *(EST)

*5/15:* *“Recollection, Revision, and Reframing”*
*with Andy Davis and Eroc Arroyo*

*Sunday, May 15th at 11 AM:*

*“Recollection, Revision, and Reframing”*
*with Andy Davis and Eroc Arroyo*

Through storytelling, spoken word, and reflection, Eroc and Andy explore
how living with key stories from our lives deepens them...and us.

*• Ernesto "Eroc" Arroyo-Montano* is a proud father of three wonderful
children, an emcee, circle-keeper, artist, cultural organizer, educator,
curandero-in-training and aspiring elder. He is a queer Boricua raised
in Boston, MA, and a founding member of the radical, award-winning Hip
Hop group, Foundation Movement, with whom he has been blessed to
facilitate workshops and perform around the globe.

*• Andy Davis*tells stories with warmth, humor and verve. He draws his
material from life in New Hampshire, and from the folklore and human
struggles of the wider world. He can tell a shaggy dog with the best of
them, and follow it up with a personal tale laden with meaning.

*Music by Andy Davis and Eroc Arroyo*

*Join us In Person or on*

*ID # & Password below*

*CCB Sunday Programs & More
May - June 2022*
*We're open! Join us in the Lothrop Auditorium or Online.*

/The following programs will be on /
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=461a50152c&e=3e8e4cf5c6>/Zoom.
ID and login below.
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=684e901fa3&e=3e8e4cf5c6>/
/Or watch on YouTube
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=d71b1947e7&e=3e8e4cf5c6>/

/*Live at CCB!*/
*Wednesday, May 18th at 11 AM:*
*"James and Whitehead on Life After Death"
with Rev. Dr. Ignacio Castuera*

On Wednesday, May 18, The Rev. Dr. Ignacio Castuera will present a
program inspired by the recent publication of Dr. David Ray Griffin’s
book /James and Whitehead on Life After Death/. The book deals with
William James exploration of psychic phenomena such as ESP and seances.
Alfred North Whitehead  who was a logician, mathematician and physicist,
concluded his brilliant career in our own backyard in Cambridge as
Professor of Philosophy at Harvard University. Griffin strongly suggests
that Whiteheadian metaphysics make room for the conclusions reached by
James. Griffiin also avails himself of data collected by the Division of
Perceptual Studies fromthe Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral
Science in the University of Virginia School of Medicine. This
department has carefully studied reports of out of body experiences and
near death experiences. This book is getting excellent reviews in Amazon
where one can order it at a moderate price.

Ignacio has preached for us several times and is currently one of two
Advisory Pastors at The First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles. He came
to us through a long friendship with David Lewit, long time member and
former president of our Church.

*Sunday, May 22nd at 11 AM:*

*“Learning from Hiroshima,
Peace Memorial City”*
*with Madelyn Holmes*

Cities are an underused avenue for negotiating world peace. Since 1959,
Hiroshima has worked toward reconciliation, not revenge; making friends,
not enemies through sister city diplomacy. Hiroshima’s mayors and
citizens have created a powerful counterpoint to war scenarios with its
six sister cities: Honolulu (USA); Volgograd (Russia); Hannover
(Germany); Chongqing (China); Daegu (South Korea); Montreal (Canada).
They have undertaken concrete actions for peace, commemorated war
victims and engaged in wide-ranging cultural exchanges of youth,
musicians, artists, sports competitors, and gardens.

*• Madelyn Holmes*is a Ph.D. historian and author of six nonfiction
books including Hiroshima and its Six Sister Cities, published in
January 2022. A graduate of Radcliffe College, Dr. Holmes has taught at
universities in England, the USA, Canada, and China. She has been a
peace activist since the 1960s: secretary of the World Disarmament
Campaign in Stevenage, UK; board member of the Sister City Association
connecting Cambridge, Massachusetts with Yerevan, Soviet Union; and
editor of Sister Miriam Ward’s book Behind the Wall: Palestinians under
Occupation.

*Music by Lisa Redfern*

*Sunday, May 29th at 11 AM:*

*“Is There a Purpose for Memorial Day?”
with Matthew Hoh*

What purpose can Memorial Day serve in a nation whose politicians, media
and industry are addicted to war?

*• Matthew Hoh**//*is a Senior Fellow Emeritus with the Center for
International Policy. He is a 100% disabled Marine combat veteran and,
in 2009, he resigned his position with the State Department in
Afghanistan in protest of the escalation of the war*/./*

*Music by Magpie*

*Sunday, June 5th at 11 AM:*

*“Gangsters of Capitalism”*
*with Jonathan M. Katz*

Smedley Butler was the most celebrated war-fighter of his time.
Bestselling books were written about him. Hollywood adored him. Wherever
the flag went, the "Fighting Quaker” went in nearly every major overseas
conflict from 1898 until the eve of World War II. Jonathan Myerson Katz
traveled the world recreating Butler’s journeys. In doing so, Katz
reveals how memories of U.S. imperialism remain a vital force shaping
politics and culture across the globe. /Gangsters of Capitalism: Smedley
Butler, the Marines, and the Making and Breaking of America’s Empire
/tells an urgent story about a formative era most Americans have never
learned about, but that the rest of the world cannot forget.

*• Jonathan Myerson Katz *received the James Foley/Medill Medal for
Courage in Journalism for reporting from Haiti. His first book, The Big
Truck That Went By, was shortlisted for the PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith
Award for Nonfiction and won the Overseas Press Club's Cornelius Ryan
Award, the J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award, and the WOLA/Duke
Book Award for Human Rights in Latin America. His work appears in the
New York Times, Foreign Policy, and elsewhere. Katz was a New America
national fellow in the Future of War program and received a fellowship
from the Logan Nonfiction Program. He lives with his wife and daughter
in Charlottesville, Virginia.

*Music by David Roth*

*Sunday, June 12th at 11 AM:*

*“Sacco and Vanzetti, and the Rosenbergs”
with Leonard Lehrman, */piano/**&*Helene Williams, */saprano/
/special guest tenor, /*Christopher Remkus*

Soprano Helene Williams and composer/conductor/pianist Leonard Lehrman
return to Community Church for the 8th time, after an absence of 16
years(!), in a program relating to both Sacco & Vanzetti and Julius &
Ethel Rosenberg. Leonard's /Rosenberg Cantata, We Are Innocent/, has had
over a dozen performances, eight with chorus, and is quoted in his
completion of Marc Blitzstein's self-styled magnum opus, the opera
/Sacco and Vanzetti/, which will have its orchestral premiere in
September, featuring our guest tenor, Christopher Remkus of Jamaica
Plain, in the title role of Sacco.

*/• Christopher Remkus/* will be singing the role of Sacco in the
orchestral premiere of /Sacco and Vanzetti/ Sept. 10 & 11, 2022. A 2013
graduate of Hofstra University, where he studied with Gregory
Mercer (who originated the role in 2001), Chris was heard most recently
as the title role in Bernstein's /Candide/ at New England Conservatory,
where he received his Graduate Diploma in 2019, and continues to study
with Bradley Williams. For more information about Chris:
christopherremkus.com

*/• Helene Williams/* is an internationally acclaimed artist in her own
right, having performed on five continents in 17 languages, including
over 140 works written for her. She has premiered and recorded music by
Elie Siegmeister, Marc Blitzstein, Leonard Bernstein, Leonard Lehrman,
Joel Mandelbaum, Edith Segal, and 27 other composers. She has create
many roles performed in cantatas and operas.

*/• Leonard Lehrman/*, composer/pianist/conductor, founded the Jüdischer
Musiktheaterverein Berlin and the Metropolitan Philharmonic Chorus, has
been High Holidays Music Director at the Metropolitan Synagogue in
Manhattan since 2014 and was recently appointed Minister of Music at
Grace Lutheran Church in Malverne, Long Island. For more information
about Leonard: ljlehrman.artists-in-residence.com

*Sunday, June 19th at 11 AM:*
*In Celebration of Juneteenth:
"Slavery and Segregation in Antebellum Massachusetts: The Law of Shaw”*
*with Gregory Williams*

As Chief Justice of Massachusetts' Supreme Judicial Court (1830-1860),
Lemuel Shaw was the most influential state-court justice in 19th century
America. He decided cases concerning enslaved people who escaped to, or
were brought to, Massachusetts. . . as well as an (unfortunately)
influential early school-desegregation case. We begin, though, with the
17th-century colonies and the ship "Desire". . .

*• Gregory Williams* was a District Court judge for 15 years, retiring
in 2015—for his last ten years, he was First Justice of the Edgartown
District Court. He talks on such topics as Massachusetts historical
crimes, notable Cape figures such as William Sturgis and Lemuel Shaw,
and the romantic-macabre. His Facebook page, /Gregory Williams Speaks/,
continues to signal his scheduled events, but also offers peeks at odd
bits of history and music.

*Music by Mat Callahan & Yvonne Moore*

*/Join Carolyn's family and her many friends in Boston’s peace movement,
to remember and celebrate the life of Carolyn Poinelli,
at Community Church of Boston on Sunday, July 10th at 1 PM./*

Carolyn was fiercely independent in her hermitage, and fiercely
opinionated in her political opinions. Not unlike a lot of members of
this church, dare I say? Still, for decades, she attended just about
every event, and actively participated in cooking, cleaning and tidying
up. She loved our book collection, and spent lots of hours organizing it
and finding books that she wanted to take home and read.

Carolyn walked and walked and walked the streets of Boston and
Cambridge, to events, concerts, yoga classes and demonstrations all over
the city. It was her life. It was her passion.

It was deep into the pandemic. Libraries were closed. Carolyn visited
Community Church several times each week so we set up a computer for
her. She came almost daily to study her horoscope, the news, read her
emails and converse about politics and activism.

Although Carolyn was a constant presence at Community Church, she
hesitated to join. She had her reasons; maybe she disagreed with some of
our choices of speakers, or maybe she was just very unique in her views.
But in March 2021 she made a big deal of signing our Membership Book and
attended Church service every Sunday until her unfortunate accident.
­—/We miss you. Carolyn Poinelli, PRESENTE! /

*Click on the Zoom icon below to join CCB programs:*Join the Zoom program
here.
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=93e7fa79c0&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*Meeting
ID:*  *895 5257 5898*
*Password: 246499***

*To access by One Tap Mobile phone:* *+13126266799,,89552575898#*  US (Chicago)
*+19292056099,,89552575898#*  US (New York)

*Dial by your location:*
        *+1 312 626 6799 US*  (Chicago)
         *+1 929 205 6099 US*  (New York)
         *+1 301 715 8592 US*  (Germantown)
         *+1 346 248 7799 US*  (Houston)
         *+1 669 900 6833 US*  (San Jose)
         *+1 253 215 8782 US*  (Tacoma)

*YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/thecommunitychurchofbostonofficial
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=dfcae8569a&e=3e8e4cf5c6>*

*Our Purpose* Community Church of Boston is a free community united for
the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical
ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle
to all forms of social and economic life.
*Staff* *Christle Rawlins-Jackson,* Office and Publications Manager
*Dean Stevens*, Interim Administrator *Luis Alonzo Guzman,* Custodian
and Cook *Thermon Judge*, maintenance *Xinli Xu,* Bookkeeper

*Board of Directors* Charlie Welch, President Alan Clemence, Vice
President Sandra Ruiz-Harris, Treasurer Dick Keshishian, Clerk José
Alemán, Ron Elbert, Ed Pazzanese, David Woodruff, Judith Woodruff

      *Thanks for Reading*

The team at the Community Church of Boston wants to extend a hearty
'thank you' to all of our wonderful readers. You make our community
shine, and we want to keep that going! If you're not a regular just yet
v <#communitychurchofboston.org>isit our web site
<https://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=9cb7539db6&e=3e8e4cf5c6> to
learn more about us. /Copyright © 2022 Community Church of Boston, All
rights reserved./ You're receiving this email because you provided
Community Church of Boston with your email address at a Sunday forum or
other event. *Our mailing address is:*
Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St.
Boston, MA 02116