[act-ma] 2/28 Standout against the Embargo at UMass Boston (Tues)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon Feb 27 05:28:04 PST 2023

I do hope the weather will allow us to stick to our plans! (More info
below) Which are:
- *Tuesday, Feb 28 at the University of Massachusetts Boston (*UMB)
campus near the *McCormick & Wheatley Hall buildings*, from 11 AM to 12
noon -- */I will check whether moving into the Campus Center is an option/*
- At noon, we will end the standout and proceed to a forum hosted by
Prof Tony Van der Meer and his students in the*Campus Center
<https://www.umb.edu/editor_uploads/images/university/UMassBoston-campus-map.pdf>,* (bldg
#1 on map) 3rd floor,Ballroom Section C, from 12:30 to 2:00 PM (at the
latest).  Prof Van der Meer and his students have recently returned from
Cuba.
Please reply to this message if you plan to attend allor part of the
Standout or Forum event. See basic directions below.  For further info
and overview of the campus, refer to the UMB website here
<https://www.umb.edu/the_university/getting_here/visitor_resources#park_options>and
the campus map
<https://www.umb.edu/editor_uploads/images/university/UMassBoston-campus-map.pdf>,
which you can enlarge and zoom in to see the standout and forum
locations noted above. These buildings are numbered 1,2 and 3 in the
lower section of the campus map.

TRANSIT DIRECTIONS: Redline to JFK UMass; or check the MBTA trip planner
<https://www.mbta.com/trip-planner> if you are not close to the red
line.  There is a shuttle (check website for details).

PARKING: Parking for a fee is available in campus parking lots. Car
pooling suggested. Options include: Bayside lot ($9) -- see campus map,
it is before UMB – or the West Garage Lot on campus to the left (costs
$7-15, 1 hr to over 3 hrs). /We can only offer to //reimbursethe
driver transporting essentials for the standout - banners,
signs & table. /I will bring the handouts and petitions.

We hope that some of you can join this unique opportunity to hear from
Prof. Van der Meer and the students! MAPA and Youth members of the July
26th Coalition will also briefly share information on events, actions
and campaigns coming up.

A significant winter snowfall is expected Mon - Tues this week; it /may/
interfere with our UMB standout plans.  Predictions range from 4-8
inches, with the snow ending by 9 AM Tuesday, with some rain during the
day. *Check TV & Radio
<https://www.umb.edu/campus_center/about/snow_cancellations> options for
UMB closure.* I will be in touch with Prof Van der Meer for his
assessment and, if needed, plans for rescheduling the Forum after Spring
Break.  If the campus is open but you are unable to come, you may
contact me after 8:30 am (cell phone below.)

/Claire G/

Claire Gosselin
claireg53 at gmail.com <mailto:claireg53 at gmail.com>