[act-ma] Exploring Class Open Workshop - March 14th

Anne Phillips anne at classism.org
Tue Feb 21 12:51:28 PST 2017

Why is class often so difficult to talk about?
How do the effects of class differences impact our work, our work
relationships and our workplaces?
Why is it important to collaborate across class divisions to create more
unity, especially in these times?
What is your class story?

Find out more and register here:
http://www.classism.org/events/exploring-class-classism-2/

Discuss these questions and more at Class Action's upcoming open workshop
on Tuesday, March 14th. These workshops provide a forum to learn about the
effects of class differences and to look at how we all have been affected
by class divisions.

Class Action has spent 13 years developing creative ways of asking
questions, sharing personal experiences and helping people to engage with
issues of class in a meaningful way. Our popular education workshops are
highly interactive, engaging and focused on learning from one another in
the room.
In this workshop, participants will explore:

    •    How class identities affect our lives, our work and our
relationships
    •    How race intersects with class
    •    How we can become more inclusive with others from different class
backgrounds than ourselves and why that’s important
    •    How we can build community with people from all class backgrounds

If you have been thinking about bringing Class Action to your workplace,
group or religious community, this is an opportunity not to miss. You can
come and try a workshop to see how it could be useful for your situation.

Pizza and refreshments will be served upon arrival.

Facilitators:

[image: denise2]
<http://www.classism.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/denise2.jpg>

*Denise Moorehead: *Born into a lower middle class family, Denise Moorehead
was raised in Western Massachusetts as an only child for 11 years. Her
parents, both “strivers” increased their educational and earning power in
conjunction with opportunities previously unavailable to African-Americans
thanks to the civil rights movement. They were able to offer Denise dance
and instrument lessons, summer camp, French camp and more. As a young
child, she was often in the company of upper middle class children in these
settings and working class and lower middle children in her neighborhood.
Her parents prepared her to fit in with all groups. Today, Denise is a
marketing, communications and training strategist working with nonprofits
and small businesses as the principal of Moorehead Creative Solutions. She
recently cofounded UU Class Conversations, which provides training and
organizing support to Unitarian Universalist congregations and
organizations working to make the denomination more class-inclusive.

[image: Joanie]
<http://www.classism.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Joanie.jpg>

*Joanie Parker: *Joanie grew up in Pittsburgh, the hometown of her parents,
with a father who was raised owning class and a mother raised working
class. Throughout her life, she was always trying to figure out why some
people were left out and others weren’t in society. She decided to become
an elementary school teacher to provide an environment where children could
feel good about themselves. From there she was trained as a machine
operator and worked in a factory for 10 years and was very involved with
her union. Over the past 30 years, she has worked in the labor movement and
has been actively involved in work to end racism. Currently, she is
coordinating a Mentoring Program through the Women’s Institute for
Leadership Development (WILD). She is also committed to working with
individuals and groups on the effects of our class backgrounds and how we
can actively work to end classism.