[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - July 9, 2017

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jul 9 10:39:30 PDT 2017

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

*******
———
———
******

————————
Monday, July 10
————————

10:30pm  Workshop: Restoring the Earth
2pm  2017 Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition
5:30pm  AI Now | 2017 Symposium:  Addressing the social impacts of artificial intelligence now to ensure a more equitable future
5:30pm  Residential Green Building Committee Meeting with Guest Speaker Eric Wilkinson
6pm  Boston New Technology July 2017 Startup Showcase #BNT79
6:30pm  Mastermind Series: Learn For A Living

————————
Tuesday, July 11
————————

12pm  Weapons of Math Destruction, Cathy O'Neil!
4pm  Tech, Drugs, and Rock n' Roll 2017
6:30pm  SEED: The Untold Story screening and fundraiser
7pm  MassRobotics: Robotics Education

——————————
Wednesday, July 12
——————————

8:30am  Get Smaaht: Grid Modernization in Mass
12pm  Green Line Partners - Green Line Extension DBE Outreach Event
5:30pm  The Downtown Harvard Club Presents: Author Series with Gautam Mukunda - 'Indispensable: When Leaders Really Matter’
6pm  Who we are and how we got here: Ancient DNA and the new science of the human past
6pm  Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too:  A Book
6pm  ArtScienceConverged: NAKFI Talk
6pm  Mass Innovation Nights #100!
7pm  Resilience and Resistance: Stories of Survival from the Holocaust
7pm  Dorchester Community Choice Energy House Party

—————————
Thursday, July 13
—————————

5pm  THE FIERCE URGENCY OF NOW, OR ELSE #STUCKONREPLAY
6pm  Cambridge Climate Protection Action Committee
6pm  Boston Climate Action Network Meeting
6pm  Climate Ready East Boston Open House

————————
Sunday, July 16
————————

9am  SWAPFEST

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Science Fiction, the Tragedy of the Tragedy of the Commons, and the Delusions of the Rich
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/7/9/1679157/-Science-Fiction-the-Tragedy-of-the-Tragedy-of-the-Commons-and-the-Delusions-of-the-Rich

————————
Monday, July 10
————————

Workshop: Restoring the Earth
Monday, July 10
10:30 AM to 12:30 PM
The Farm, 213 Hurley Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Biodiversity-for-a-Livable-Climate/events/240758888/
Biodiversity for a LIvable Climate is a small non-profit so a $10 donation is requested, but no one will be turned away based on ability to pay.

Elizabeth Whitehouse is a woman on a mission: to save the earth one compost heap at a time.  You can be part of that mission by setting up your own backyard heap or bin. Learn how easy it is to turn yard debris and kitchen scraps into nature’s primary soil builder. Learn what to compost, how to compost and, most importantly, why to compost.

"Making compost is as easy as piling up weeds, kitchen scraps, yard trimmings, leaves and so on and leaving them to rot quietly, or as complicated as manipulating the ingredients in your pile to make customized composts to suit individual plants." (Compost International)

This workshop will be a hands on learning experience, not to be missed!

—————————————

2017 Harvard vs. MIT Case Competition
Monday, July 10
2:00p–6:00p
MIT, Building E51-345, 2 Amherst Street, Cambridge

Now in its ninth year, the Case Competition is our largest event, put together each summer in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate Consulting Club (HGCC). Over the course of the 12-day event, participants will work in a team of four to tackle a real-world business case, networking throughout with representatives from top consulting and industry firms. You will have the opportunity to deliver your recommendation at the closing ceremony to the client and a panel of consultant judges; the winning three teams will receive a cash prize. This is an excellent opportunity to gain business experience and build your resume.

Web site: http://www.harvardmitcasecompetition.com/
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Consulting Club at MIT (CCM)
For more information, contact:  Chao Zhang
ccm-exec at mit.edu, ccm-managers at mit.edu

—————————————

AI Now | 2017 Symposium:  Addressing the social impacts of artificial intelligence now to ensure a more equitable future
Mondy, July 10
5:30-8:30pm
Webcast

More information at https://artificialintelligencenow.com/schedule/2017-symposium

—————————————

Residential Green Building Committee Meeting with Guest Speaker Eric Wilkinson
Monday, July 10
5:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
50 Milk Street, 18th Floor "Hemingway" Conference Room, Boston
RSVP at http://usgbcma.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=1200

The Residential Green Building Committee is focused on improving the housing stock of the Commonwealth by championing green building practices in our communities. Join us on the second Monday of each month to be a part of the movement.

Guest Speaker:  Eric Wilkinson - Director of Energy and Climate Policy at ELM - will join us to discuss "The Point of Sale Home Energy Score Bill."
Eric joined ELM in 2016. Prior to joining ELM, Eric served as Senior External Affairs Representative at ISO New England, the entity responsible for managing the wholesale energy grid. Eric’s responsibilities included environmental, climate change and renewable energy issues.

Eric served as the lead for External Affairs on both the ISO’s energy-efficiency and distributed generation forecasts. Eric also served as Policy Advisor to the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, overseeing implementation of the Board’s smart growth main extension rules and providing guidance on smart growth issues. He was Policy Director at New Jersey Future and a senior contributor to their smart growth and sustainable development policy analysis and initiatives.

Eric has also worked as director of the EPA’s Voluntary Standards Network, and as a member of the President’s Council on Sustainable Development. Eric holds a Juris Doctorate and a Masters in the Study of Environmental Law, cum laude from the Vermont Law School.

—————————————

Boston New Technology July 2017 Startup Showcase #BNT79
Monday, July 10
6:00 PM to 8:45 PM
Akamai Technologies, 150 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/240578947/

Akamai staff will be escorting attendees from the lobby up the stairs to the first floor, where you'll find our check-in table. Type the first few letters of your name on the screen and tap your name to print your name tag.
Free event! Come learn about 7 innovative and exciting technology products and network with the Boston/Cambridge startup community!

Each presenter gets 5 minutes for product demonstration and 5 minutes for Q&A.

————————————

Mastermind Series: Learn For A Living
Monday, July 10
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
50 Milk Street, 14th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mastermind-series-learn-for-a-living-tickets-35992552694

This is a Mastermind session for likeminded indivuduals who want to explore the potential of learning for a living. Because, why not?
About the host: Hillary has a background in political / power theory, and has spent the last five years working closely with executives from diverse industries to examine the impact of power dynamics and leadership psychology. She recently founded a management innovation firm with a core model of learning, creating, and exploring.

————————
Tuesday, July 11
————————

Weapons of Math Destruction, Cathy O'Neil!
Tuesday July 11
12PM - 1:30PM
NERD, 1 Memorial Drive, 1st Floor/Horace Mann Room, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/msr-smcbkc-welcome-author-of-weapons-of-math-destruction-cathy-oneil-tickets-35440018048

Microsoft Research's Social Media Collective and Harvard University's Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society welcome author Cathy O'Neil to NERD. O'Neil will read from her award-winning book, Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy (2016). The reading will be followed by an informal lunch and mixer for MSR, NERD, Garage and BKC interns.

Please join us for a timely discussion of the role of data science in public life. All are welcome at this free event open to the public!

———————————

Tech, Drugs, and Rock n' Roll 2017
Tuesday, July 11
4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
BU, Metcalf Hall, George Sherman Union, 775 Commonwealth Avenue,Boston
RSVP at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07ee3ebmr480992962&oseq=&c=&ch=

Come together with over 500 of your fellow scientists, entrepreneurs, engineers, and investors.
Connect with more than 30 research groups presenting their latest research activity.
Vote for one of 9 Student Ventures in our Buzz Lab New Venture Competition.

There's more!
Innovator of the Year: The award will be presented by the Vice President and Associate Provost for Research of Boston University, Gloria Waters.
Music:  We are proud to announce that this year's band will be The Soul Provider.
Student Venture Competition:  TDRR 2017 will also feature a competition amongst BUzz Lab students working on their start- ups over the summer.

——————————

SEED: The Untold Story screening and fundraiser
Tuesday, July 11
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Loring-Greenough House, 12 South Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/seed-the-untold-story-screening-and-fundraiser-tickets-34857376351
Cost:  $15

Please join us for a very special event benfitting The Food Project and the Loring Greenough House.
The evening will include a screening of the documentary SEED as well as a short introduction to the work done by The Food Project.

SEED: The Untold Story is a documentary that follows passionate seed keepers protecting our 12,000 year-old food legacy. In the last century, 94% of our seed varieties have disappeared. As biotech chemical companies control the majority of our seeds, farmers, scientists, lawyers, and indigenous seed keepers fight a David and Goliath battle to defend the future of our food. In a harrowing and heartening story, these reluctant heroes rekindle a lost connection to our most treasured resource and revive a culture connected to seeds. SEED features Vandana Shiva, Dr. Jane Goodall, Andrew Kimbrell, Winona Laduke and Raj Patel.

Tickets for this event cost $16.29 each ($15 + ticket processing fee) with the option to add an additional donation to benefit The Food Project and the LGH.

A portion of the ticket sales for this event will be donated to The Food Project which is working "to create a thoughtful and productive community of youth and adults from diverse backgrounds who work together to build a sustainable food system." http://www.thefoodproject.org/

—————————————

MassRobotics: Robotics Education
Tuesday, July 11
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
MassRobotics, 12 Channel Street, Suite 503, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/massrobotics-robotics-education-tickets-35174138796

Join us for another meeting of the Robotics Evolution and Development Initiative, Hosted by MassRobotics!
This event will be focused on robotics in education. We are going to focus both on how robots will play a role in educating future generations, and what needs to be done to better prepare the workforce for the upcoming robotics revolution, whether they are actual roboticists or simply users of robots.
We have some exciting presentations of cutting-edge initiatives to incorporate robotics into both primary school curriculums and training the future workforce, followed up by a panel discussion of local education and technology experts on the impact robotics will have on educating future generations, both inside and outside the classroom.
Schedule
6:30 PM - Doors Open
7:00 PM - Opening Remarks, overview of impact robotics will have on education
7:05 PM - Russell Nickerson from Collabots on Robots in the Classroom
7:20 PM - Dr. Charles Andrew Fritz on his Robotic Psychology high school course
7:45 PM - Panel Discussion
8:05 PM - Q&A
8:30 PM - Networking
Panelists:
Dr. Ethan Danahy, Research Assistant Professor at Tufts University Center for Engineering Education and Outreach (CEEO)
Lisa Freed, STEM Program Manager at iRobot
Dr. Charles Andrew Fritz

What is the READI?
The Robotics Evolution and Development Initiative (READI) is a new monthly event by MassRobotics to bring together various stakeholders from both within and outside the robotics community to focus on commercial opportunities in robotics. The READI was started to educate the general public on how the robotics industry is developing; to bring together leading roboticists with other outside experts to discuss opportunities for commercialization and collaboration; and to form a strong community to establish Massachusetts as the world leader for robotics.

——————————
Wednesday, July 12
——————————

Get Smaaht: Grid Modernization in Mass
Wednesday, July 12
8:30 AM – 10:30 AM EDT
USGBC MA, 50 Milk Street, 16th Floor, Edison Room, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/get-smaaht-grid-modernization-in-mass-tickets-34831870061
Cost:  $30 – $55

Join us for a trip into the future. Learn about the electric grid that we see today and opportunities for investment on both the wires’ side and buildings’ side. Where is development is needed, planned, and in process? How do grid modernization technologies stack up against each other? How do smart buildings (green buildings) fit into the grid of the future and what opportunities might there be with time of use metering, energy storage financing, and data management?

Let's talk about electric vehicles and the demand/support that they can provide with a smart grid. How is this energy industry transforming? Is analytics as a service going to be a communication with office managers and facility staff or will a cloud-based service possibly control our building? Will batteries be used to level loads on stressed electricity feeders?

How does what we do in Massachusetts compare to progress in other states? California, Texas, and Illinois have the lead but what might happen in MA to make our grid the pacesetter?

This is part of our Market Leadership Series where we encourage the professional in the room to drive the conversation and share their questions and perspective for a robust session.

Breakfast and coffee will be provided.

Advisement: This conversation will be led by Chapter member Ben Pignatelli from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU). Ben's presentation will not reflect the views of the DPU nor will he be able to speak on behalf of the Department. His presentation will outline publically available information and the science supporting it.

About the Speaker - Ben Pignatelli:
As a technical staff member in the Electric Power Division at the DPU Ben works on regulatory and market issues associated with energy efficiency, grid modernization, and competitive electricity supply. He has evaluated the MassSave program, is reviewing public utility grid modernization plans, and reviews municipal electricity aggregation plans. Ben also manages regulatory relations with electricity supply companies through investigations, licensing, and market animation initiatives. He has held previous roles with the Department of Energy Resources (DOER) and the City of Boston. Ben is a Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) and holds an MBA from Boston University and a B.A. from the University of New Hampshire in Political Science.

——————————————

Green Line Partners - Green Line Extension DBE Outreach Event
Wednesday, July 12
12:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT
Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill Area, 30 Washington Street, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-line-partners-green-line-extension-dbe-outreach-event-tickets-35644554823

Come meet with Green Line Partners (GLP) to learn more about the upcoming Green Line Extension project for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA). The Green Line Extension project will add new light rail service on two new branches of the existing rail line that will extend service from Lechmere Station in Cambridge, MA to Union Square Station in Somerville, MA and to College Avenue Station in Medford, MA. The project includes a new Vehicle Maintenance Facility (“VMF”), six (6) new stations, and the replacement or rehabilitation of several bridges.
Lunch will be provided. Free parking.
RSVP by: Friday, July 7, 2017 - Space is Limited
GLP's website: http://www.glpjv.com/

——————————————

The Downtown Harvard Club Presents: Author Series with Gautam Mukunda - 'Indispensable: When Leaders Really Matter'
WHEN  Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
WHERE  The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston, 1 Federal Street, 38th Floor, Boston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Business, Education, Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	The Harvard Club of Boston
SPEAKER(S)  Gautam Mukunda, Assistant Professor in the Organizational Behavior Unit of Harvard Business School and a Distinguished Visiting Professor for the Schwarzman Scholarship
COST	Complimentary with registration
CONTACT INFO	Matt Hegarty
mghegarty at post.harvard.edu
DETAILS	  Two weeks after the 2016 election, the Washington Post said that Gautam Mukunda’s book "Indispensable: When Leaders Really Matter" reads like “he had a time machine.” In his research, Prof. Mukunda explores “Unfiltered” leaders – the very best leaders, ones who tend to transform the organizations they lead, for better or worse. He identifies where they come from, how they can be identified, and what the implications of such leaders are for the organizations they govern, with a focus on the U.S. Presidency.

Professor Gautam Mukunda is an Assistant Professor in the Organizational Behavior Unit of Harvard Business School and a Distinguished Visiting Professor for the Schwarzman Scholarship. His research focuses on leadership, international relations, and the political and economic implications of technological change.

He is a Principal Investigator on the National Science Foundation’s Synthetic Biology Engineering Research Center, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and The Chief of Naval Operation’s Executive Advisory Panel, and a Jeopardy Champion.

Registration is required for this complimentary event.

——————————

Who we are and how we got here: Ancient DNA and the new science of the human past
Wednesday, July 12
6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 415 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/who-we-are-and-how-we-got-here-ancient-dna-and-the-new-science-of-the-human-past-tickets-35600422823

The Eliana Hechter Memorial Lecture

David Reich, Professor, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Sr. Associate Member, Broad Institute
In 2010, the first genome-wide data from ancient humans was published. Since that time, extraordinary amounts of new data are making it possible to understand how ancient human populations are related to each other. Studies have demonstrated surprise after surprise, including the existence of a previously unknown human population called the Denisovans and interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans. Broad senior associate member David Reich will describe his laboratory’s work in the area of ancient DNA and the prospects for further discoveries about the past from this burgeoning field.

About Midsummer Nights' Science
Midsummer Nights' Science is an annual lecture series that explores key advances in genomics and medicine. This lecture series is held each summer, and is free and open to the general public. Midsummer Nights' Science at the Broad Institute takes place at 415 Main Street, in Kendall Square in Cambridge.

———————————

Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too:  A Book
Wednesday, July 12
6:00 PM (Doors at 5:30)
Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge
Cost:  $5.00

Harvard Book Store welcomes artist, illustrator, award-winning playwright, comedy writer, and Twitter personality JONNY SUN and Harvard graduate ALEXANDER TANG for a presentation of Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too: A Book, by Jomny Sun (the aliebn).

About Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too
Everyone’s a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too is the illustrated story of a lonely alien sent to observe Earth, only to meet all sorts of creatures with all sorts of perspectives on life, love, and happiness, all while learning to feel a little better about being an alien—based on the enormously popular Twitter account, @jonnysun.
Here is the unforgettable story of Jomny, a lonely alien who, for the first time ever, finds a home on our planet after learning that earthlings can feel lonely too. Jomny finds friendship in a bear tired of other creatures running away in fear, an egg struggling to decide what to hatch into, an owl working its way to being wise, a tree feeling stuck in one place, a tadpole coming to terms with turning into a frog, a dying ghost, a puppy unable to express itself, and many more.

Through this story of a lost, lonely and confused alien finding friendship, acceptance, and love among the creatures of Earth, we will all learn how to be a little more human. And for all of us earth-bound creatures here on this planet, we can all be reminded that sometimes, it takes an outsider to help us see ourselves for who we truly are.

———————————

ArtScienceConverged: NAKFI Talk
Wednesday, July 12
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Doors 6:00pm / Talk 6:30pm
Le Laboratoire Cambridge, 650 East Kendall Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/artscienceconverged-nakfi-talk-tickets-36009334890

Paul S. Weiss & Brandon Ballengée Talk with moderator JD Talasek
Presented as part of ArtScience Converged

Every frontier of human inquiry is art-science in nature in that intuition and imagination are equal partners to deduction and precision. The question is not whether art, design, science, engineering, and medicine are distinct and should be fully integrated, but how do they meet to serve as the bookends for innovation. Join National Academies Keck Futures Initiative grantees Drs. Brandon Ballengée, artist, biologist and environmental educator and nanoscientist Paul Weiss as they reveal early discoveries from their projects Crude Life: A Citizen Art and Science Investigation of Gulf of Mexico Biodiversity after the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Toward the InnerNet: An Integrated Sensor Analysis of Biome/Microbiome Systems, Employing Novel Interactivity Through Acoustics and Design for Personalized Health Monitoring.

———————————

Mass Innovation Nights #100!
Wednesday, July 12
6pm-9:30pm
Museum of Science, 1 Science Park, Boston
RSVP for http://mass.innovationnights.com/node/add/rsvp

There is more to celebrate this July than just Independence Day - Mass Innovation Nights is having its 100th event, yes 100 (meaning over 1,000 products have showcased). This is an event that will be "out of this world"! Draper's Sembler office  is sponsoring MIN #100, hosted by the Museum of Science and the Museum of Science Innovators! MIN #100 will have a SPACE TECHNOLOGY theme with many space technology related companies showcasing.

In addition to the showcasing, many special surprises are planned (think Theater of Electricity and so much more). Since it is MIN's 100th event there will also be a MINi-retrospective of the last 100 events -- bringing back some Mass Innovation Nights' alumni. Special occasions require some things to change, so expect a few differences from our normal event (like the extra hour we can spend at the Museum of Science and no need to vote because each company will have 2 minutes to talk about what they do).

———————————

Resilience and Resistance: Stories of Survival from the Holocaust
Wednesday, July 12
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Temple Beth Zion, 1566 Beacon Street, Brookline
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/resilience-and-resistance-stories-of-survival-from-the-holocaust-tickets-34754061333

The testimony of Holocaust survivors is an expression of the universal human capacity for resilience in the face of state-sponsored persecution and murder. During this unique program, survivors will explore the internal and external factors that allowed them to persist and to live, even as so many others could not.

We invite you to join an interfaith, multigenerational gathering to bear witness to these wrenching stories and the disturbing history they represent.

Sponsored by Center Communities of Brookline (Hebrew SeniorLife) and Temple Beth Zion with generous support from the Association of Jewish Aging Services

————————————

Dorchester Community Choice Energy House Party
Wednesday, July 12
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
916 Dorchester Avenue, Apt 3, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/register?orderid=c0f066e1636011e7a6e40af73e0b234c&client_token=490aae894fa54b3aae088588e10628ba&eid=35944993443

—————————
Thursday, July 13
—————————

THE FIERCE URGENCY OF NOW, OR ELSE #STUCKONREPLAY
Thursday, July 13
5:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Haley House Bakery Café, 12 Dade Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-fierce-urgency-of-now-or-else-stuckonreplay-tickets-35261140019

In July 2016, the #StuckOnReplay movement was born. Over the past year, #StuckOnReplay have been discussing this issue with communities who have been most impacted by the disparities in the system. We have been committed to sharing with them how the structures and inequalities seen in the criminal justice system serve to exacerbate the inequalities that are already prevalent and our society and are in fact deep end by them.

The goal of #StuckOnReplay is to elevate voices, uplift communities, and influence policies. To mark the end of a successful first year, we are bringing the community back together at the Haley House Bakery Café and inviting local leaders to engage the experts – those who have first-hand experience with the criminal justice system – in the ongoing conversation about reform.

In 2017, criminal justice reform has become one of the most pressing issues facing lawmakers in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, too often the policy makers do not reflect the communities who are disproportionately impacted. This event is a chance to move the conversation out of the State House and back into the community. This conversation needs to take place NOW; lawmakers cannot continue to put off meaningful reform.

We ask that you take an active part in our solution based approach toward dealing with the issue of mass incarceration throughout Massachusetts, by SHOWING UP, STANDING UP, ELEVATING OUR VOICE, and by TAKING ACTION toward putting an ends to the viscous cycle which continues to oppress and marginalize our brothers and sister who are, unfortunately, #StuckOnReplay.

————————————

Cambridge Climate Protection Action Committee
Thursday, July 13
6:00 pm
City Hall Annex, 2nd floor, 344 Broadway, Cambridge

This meeting will focus on the climate action plan vision statement and other committee business.  The agenda for the meeting will be posted on the Community Development Department website at http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/climateandenergy/climatechangeplanning/climateprotectionactioncommittee

————————————

Boston Climate Action Network Meeting
Thursday, July 13
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
First Baptist Church, 633 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/register?orderid=2ca7f71e636111e7a6e40af73e0b234c&client_token=490aae894fa54b3aae088588e10628ba&eid=35334785294

————————————

Climate Ready East Boston Open House
Thursday, July 13
6:00 PM-8:00PM
Maverick Landing Community Room, 31 Liverpool Street, East Boston
RSVP at http://www.greenovateboston.org/creb_open_house

We're hosting an open house in East Boston on Thursday, July 13th to share project updates and collect the community’s feedback on the potential solutions to protect East Boston from flooding. The City of Boston wants to address specific flood pathways in the neighborhood while offering community benefits that will improve quality of life and grow our local economy.

We’re working with a design team to find solutions we can put in place to stop flood pathways before they reach our communities. As we work to explore near and long-term options for East Boston, we want to hear from you.

Don’t miss your chance to attend the Climate Ready East Boston Open House on Thursday, July 13th - RSVP today!

Dinner will be provided.

Preparing Boston and its residents for a changing climate is a priority of the City’s Climate Action Plan. Through the Climate Ready East Boston project we hope to further increase engagement and promote community-driven climate actions throughout Boston.

————————
Sunday, July 16
————————

SWAPFEST
Sunday, July 16
9:00a–2:00p
MIT, Albany Street Garage and Lots, Cambridge

MIT's monthly Hi Tech, Computer, Electronics and Ham Radio Fleamarket.
Buy Sell or Swap all things nerdly.
Held the third Sunday of each month April thru October.
Rain or Shine covered space is available for all sellers.
In the Albany St Garage and adjacent lot.
On Albany St between Mass Ave and Main St, Cambridge.
$6 Buyers admission from 9AM to 2PM.
Free for MIT and Harvard Undergraduates with current ID

Web site: www.swapfest.us
Open to: the general public
Cost: $6
This event occurs on the 3rd Sunday of every month through October 15, 2017.
Sponsor(s): MIT Radio Society, Electronic Research Society, MIT, UHF Repeater Assn. W1XM, MIT
For more information, contact:  Mitchell Berger
617-253-3776
w1mx-officers at mit.edu

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

——————————
Wednesday, July 19
——————————

Boston Sustainability Breakfast
Wednesday, July 19
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM EDT
Pret A Manger, 101 Arch Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-30734224894

Join us every month for Net Impact Boston's informal breakfast meetup of sustainability professionals for networking, discussion and moral support. It's important to remind ourselves that we are not the only ones out there in the business world trying to do good! Feel free to drop by any time between 7:30 and 8:30 am.

——————————

Imaging in science and medicine: Trends, techniques, applications, components
Wednesday, July 19
11:00 AM EDT
Webinar
RSVP at https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1151791&tp_key=f75d2ac3b6&sti=em1

Webcast Description:  Today, imaging in science and medicine extends beyond just the microscope. Numerous vision technologies provide benefits in scientific and medical imaging, or life sciences applications, and a free webcast on July 19 will explore these and more.

Tom Brennan, President of Artemis Vision, will provide an overview of using vision in life sciences, including the types of components available for these applications, the opportunities that vision provides, and how these technologies are currently being deployed, and how they may be in the future.

He will also discuss the latest trends and technologies enabling these applications, real life case study success stories, and the challenges that come with developing these systems.

The webcast will conclude with a question and answer period.

Presented by:  Tom Brennan, President, Artemis Vision
Tom Brennan is President of Artemis Vision a machine vision software and integration company headquartered in Denver, CO with regional offices in Dallas and Charlotte.  The company founded in 2010 has been entirely funded by successful customer projects and is leading development into Vision Guided Robotics, Parallel Computation for Vision, 3-D Vision and Traceability.  The company specializes in innovative approaches to industrial, medical and scientific vision problems.

———————————

Envision Cambridge Climate & Environment Working Group
Wednesday, July 19
6:00 pm, Citywide Senior Center, 806 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

For more information, see the Envision Cambridge website at http://
envision.cambridgema.gov

——————————

Pre-malignancies and the prevention of cancer
Wednesday, July 19
6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 415 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pre-malignancies-and-the-prevention-of-cancer-tickets-35138166201

Benjamin L. Ebert, Institute Member, Broad Institute
Cancer is caused by a series of mutations that are acquired, in many cases, over many years. But in the beginning, the initiating mutations can lead to a pre-malignant lesion (such as a polyp in the colon) before causing full-fledged disease. Broad institute member Benjamin Ebert will discuss his lab’s work in learning about these pre-malignancies, their clinical consequences, and how to detect them — raising the question of whether clinicians could use this information to prevent the development of some cancers.

————————————

Independents Party
Wednesday, July 19
6:00pm - 8:30pm
Symphony Road Community Garden, 63 Symphony Road, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/independents-party-tickets-34286044482
Cost:  $15 - $25

In celebration of local and independent businesses, SBN is excited to host our Summer Independents Party at the Symphony Road Community Garden!

Join SBN for a low-key summer evening filled with great people, local food, local drinks, and fun! Grab a bite from the Rice Burg food truck, sip on local beverages like cocktails featuring Rumson's Rum and ParTea, Lookout Farm Cider, and honey-based soda from Green Bee Soda, network with fellow local businesses, and enjoy the cool summer breeze and garden air.

Attendees are eligible to win great door prizes from local and independent business members of SBN!

—————————
Thursday, July 20
—————————

USING EYE-TRACKING AND HEAT-MAPS TO MAKE BETTER BUILDINGS
Thursday, July 20
8:30 AM to 10:00 AM (EDT)
USGBC MA, 50 Milk Street, 16th Floor, Edison Room, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/using-eye-tracking-and-heat-maps-to-make-better-buildings-tickets-34087635034
Cost:  $15 - $25

Science is progressing to the point that we no longer have to rely on our naked eye to 'see' how a building impacts us and the environment. There are tools that we use to measure performance, but sometimes seeing the impact of a building speaks more than numbers.

Biometrics is the measurement and statistical analysis of people's physical and behavioral characteristics. Why not apply this same logic to a building? By using biometric tools such as eye-tracking software and heat maps, we can 'see' the effects of a building.

This lecture reviews some of the biometric tools, frequently used in advertising and web design today, that also can help us better understand our architectural experience.

This presentation will be led by Ann Sussman, a writer known for her research into how buildings influence behavior.

————————————

INNOVATION IN AGING – COLLABORATING TO REINVENT AGING IN JAPAN, U.S. AND THE WORLD
JULY 20
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Venture Cafe at Cambridge Innovation Center, 5th floor, 1 Broadway, Cambridge

Caring for the aging population is a global challenge as people are living longer and the cost of healthcare increases. Innovations in technology and care solutions are evolving to address these issues, but much more needs to be done. Sompo and Venture Cafe are organizing a global collaboration with innovators to identify highly scalable and extensible solutions that can be deployed in Japan, the U.S. and other countries around the world.

Please join us on July 20th to hear from thought leaders on how to address challenges in areas such as cognitive health, home caregiving, remote care delivery and financial security.

The program includes:
Keynote from Mikio Okumura, Managing Executive Officer, Sompo Holding, Director Nursing Care and Healthcare
Panel
Tim Driver, Ambassador at Aging2.0 Boston
And others soon to be announced

More information at http://www.greenhornconnect.com/event/innovation-in-aging-collaborating-to-reinvent-aging-in-japan-u-s-and-the-world/

————————————

Local Emerging Market Series: Energy Storage
Thursday, July 20
6-8pm
Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/local-emerging-market-series-energy-storage-tickets-35203367219

Energy storage has massive market potential in Massachusetts. Recent efforts by the state administration aim to make Massachusetts a national incubator and leader in the deployment and use of these innovation energy solutions, by adopting 2020 storage procurement targets by July. Energy storage provides significant benefits for the electrical grid, including clean energy integration, grid reliability and efficiency, and peak demand reduction. But energy storage also has potential to make our local communities more resilient. For states and municipalities, the resiliency benefits of energy storage are becoming increasingly important, as extreme weather increases and grid outages become more frequent and severe.

Over the past five years, Massachusetts has become the national incubator for innovative business solutions to climate change. Climate Action Business Association has developed a free series of reports, Local Emerging Market Reports (LEMR) to offer a spotlight on what we see as further opportunities for leadership in the transition to a carbon-free economy. This event is part of our Local Emerging Market Series in which we focus on specific industries to encourage dialogue within the local industry.

Join Climate Action Business Association and Peregrine Energy Group for a panel discussion to learn about the state’s energy storage target and how we can ensure increasing investment to emerging technologies is targeted to community resilience.

———————————

The Ambulance Drivers:  Hemingway, Dos Passos, and a Friendship Made and Lost in War
Thursday, July 20
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome bestselling biographer JAMES MCGRATH MORRIS—author of the National Book Prize–winning Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, The First Lady of the Black Press and Pulitzer: A Life in Politics, Print, and Power—for a discussion of his latest book, The Ambulance Drivers: Hemingway, Dos Passos, and a Friendship Made and Lost in War.

About The Ambulance Drivers
After meeting for the first time on the front lines of World War I, two aspiring writers forge an intense twenty-year friendship and write some of America's greatest novels, giving voice to a "lost generation" shaken by war.

Eager to find his way in life and words, John Dos Passos first witnessed the horror of trench warfare in France as a volunteer ambulance driver retrieving the dead and seriously wounded from the front line. Later in the war, he briefly met another young writer, Ernest Hemingway, who was just arriving for his service in the ambulance corps. When the war was over, both men knew they had to write about it; they had to give voice to what they felt about war and life.

Their friendship and collaboration developed through the peace of the 1920s and 1930s, as Hemingway's novels soared to success while Dos Passos penned the greatest antiwar novel of his generation, Three Soldiers. In war, Hemingway found adventure, women, and a cause. Dos Passos saw only oppression and futility. Their different visions eventually turned their private friendship into a bitter public fight, fueled by money, jealousy, and lust.

Rich in evocative detail—from Paris cafes to the Austrian Alps, from the streets of Pamplona to the waters of Key West—The Ambulance Drivers is a biography of a turbulent friendship between two of the century's greatest writers, and an illustration of how war both inspires and destroys, unites and divides.

———————
Friday, July 21
———————

BREAK THE NEWS / IDEO + (DATE CHANGE)
Friday, July 21
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM EDT
IDEO Cambridge, 80 Prospect Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/break-the-news-ideo-date-change-tickets-34438506500

Break the News is an IDEO+ makeathon bringing together a wide range of experts in design, publishing, storytelling, politics, and emerging technologies to fundamentally rethink how we create, consume, and verify news and other shared public information. In the makeathon, we will collectively challenge existing structures, and prototype alternative systems that can transform how we gather and share stories. Together, we will tackle themes ranging from questions of truth & trust to citizen journalism to propaganda to secrecy & anonymity to underground fringe publishing.
Our goal is to design a series of concept provocations that can be shared with the public, newscasters, policymakers, and digital strategists, helping inspire innovation and best practices in one of the most critical components of a free society - the Open Press. Come join IDEO+ in breaking the news on July 21, 2017.
The make-a-thon will give you a glimpse into IDEO’s process, as well as give us an opportunity to see your skills in action.

—————————
Saturday, July 22
—————————

Women in Tech Summit
Saturday, July 22
General Assembly Boston Downtown, 125 Summer Street, Boston
RSVP at http://womenintechsummit.net/boston-home/
Cost:  $100

————————
Monday, July 24
————————

Why?:  What Makes Us Curious
Monday, July 24
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes astrophysicist MARIO LIVIO—the bestselling author of The Golden Ratio, Is God a Mathematician?, Brilliant Blunders,  and The Accelerating Universe—for a discussion of his latest book, Why?: What Makes Us Curious.
About Why?

Astrophysicist and author Mario Livio investigates perhaps the most human of all our characteristics—curiosity—as he explores our innate desire to know why.

Experiments demonstrate that people are more distracted when they overhear a phone conversation—where they can know only one side of the dialogue—than when they overhear two people talking and know both sides. Why does half a conversation make us more curious than a whole conversation?

In the ever-fascinating Why? Mario Livio interviewed scientists in several fields to explore the nature of curiosity. He examined the lives of two of history’s most curious geniuses, Leonardo da Vinci and Richard Feynman. He also talked to people with boundless curiosity: a superstar rock guitarist who is also an astrophysicist; an astronaut with degrees in computer science, biology, literature, and medicine. What drives these people to be curious about so many subjects?

Curiosity is at the heart of mystery and suspense novels. It is essential to other forms of art, from painting to sculpture to music. It is the principal driver of basic scientific research. Even so, there is still no definitive scientific consensus about why we humans are so curious, or about the mechanisms in our brain that are responsible for curiosity.

Mario Livio—an astrophysicist who has written about mathematics, biology, and now psychology and neuroscience—explores this irresistible subject in a lucid, entertaining way that will captivate anyone who is curious about curiosity.

————————
Tuesday, July 25
————————

Boston Smart Utilities - July Whiteboarding Session
Tuesday, July 25
9:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-smart-utilities-july-whiteboarding-session-tickets-35381870126

Please join the Boston Planning and Development Agency (formerly the Boston Redevelopment Authority) and the City of Boston to review Boston’s new:
Smart Utility Standards
Smart Utility requirements for new development.
This is an opportunity for attendees to workshop the role of each sector in infrastructure implementation, build external alliances, and team with technical partners.

Attendees will represent 4 sectors:
1. State and local government officials
2. Industry: infrastructure, construction, finance and smart cities professionals
3. Non-profit/NGOs: Boston Area academic institutions, Northeast Clean Energy Council, C40, Barr Foundation, Smart Cities Council, smart cities accelerators and advocacy groups
4. Boston area utility companies
Steering Committee
Amy Cording, Chief Engineer, Public Improvement Commission
Anne Schwieger, Broadband and Digital Equity Advocate, Department of Information Technology
Brad Swing, Director of Energy Policy and Programs, Environment, Energy, and Open Space
Bryan Glascock, Senior Advisor of Regulatory Reform, Boston Planning and Development Agency
Colin Curzi, Smart Utilities Fellow, Boston Planning and Development Agency
Irene McSweeney, Director of Construction, Boston Water and Sewer Commission
John “Tad’ Read, Senior Deputy Director, Boston Planning and Development Agency
Katie Choe, Chief Engineer/Director of Construction Management Construction, Public Works Department
Mary Knasas, Senior Planner, Boston Planning and Development Agency
Travis Sheehan, Senior Infrastructure Advisor, Boston Planning and Development Agency

——————————

BYOFruit : An Experimental Jam Sesh
Tuesday, July 25
6:00pm - 9:00pm
Cambridge Community Television, 438 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

with Scotty Vercoe and Keaton Fox
Do you like making music? Do you like playing with food? Do you like playing music with food?

CCTV will be hosting our first BYOFruit jam sesh with the help of a new tech toy called Playtronica.
Playtronica is an electric device that uses wires to connect objects (like a watermelon) to different kinds of sounds. When you hit the object (or fruit) it will make a sound !

We will be testing this new equipment in our big studio, with the help of our favorite audio wizard - Scotty Vercoe.
There will lights, sounds, smells, and more.
We hope you’ll come join us as we explore this new way of sound-making together.

Don’t forget to bring your own fruit !

Register Today!
contact Keaton Fox at 617-661-6900 or email keaton at cctvcambridge.org

************
----------------
Opportunity
----------------
************

Greenfest Looking for Volunteers

10th Annual Boston GreenFest will be at Boston City Hall Plaza, August 11-13, 2017.  It is the largest multicultural environmental music festival in the region featuring lots of local and international exhibits, performances, films, food, fashion and forums.  Our goal is to educate and empower people to create a more sustainable, healthier world. We are actively building an interconnected, ever expanding network throughout our neighborhoods, city and region.  From business to nonprofit, neighborhood association to academic institution, Boston GreenFest spans age, culture and industry.   Celebrating our 10th anniversary, Boston GreenFest is excited to bring this wonderful free three-day festival to Boston City Hall Plaza as it is transformed into a fun interactive community classroom.

We are looking for volunteers to help throughout the weekend.

Please visit:  http://www.bostongreenfest.org/

———————————

New Climate CoLab Contests:
Adaptation
Buildings
Carbon Pricing
Energy Supply
Land Use Change
Shifting Attitudes & Behaviors
Transportation

More information at https://www.climatecolab.org/

———————————

Discounted Solar for Somerville

As part of the State’s Solarize Mass program, local volunteers and the City of Somerville recently launched the Solarize Somerville campaign to make it easier and cheaper for residents and small businesses to install solar panels.

The program, which is offering information and guidance, free site consultations, and solar panel discounts through November, has set an ambitious goal to inspire at least 200 property owners to sign up for solar —and each of those private solar installations will also benefit the community directly. For every 400 kW in signed private contracts through the program, the program’s solar vendor SolarFlair will donate a system of up to 5 kW for a public or community purpose. All are invited to the program kickoff at a Meet the Installer event on Tuesday, July 26 at 6-7:30 p.m., 167 Holland St. Additional events on topics such as solar basics, financing, and solar for multifamily homes will be announced.

Unique to the program is its neighbor-to-neighbor approach: trained resident volunteers and a designated volunteer Solar Coach are available essentially as mentors. They can, for example, walk anyone through the process, provide general loan program and tax incentive information, and share their own solar experiences. The campaign’s webpage and blog offers useful information, tips, and a link to websites where you can estimate the solar potential of your home and roughly calculate how much solar could save you on your energy bills at www.somervillema.gov/sustainaville/solarize.

Somerville is one of the most urban communities ever to participate in Solarize Mass, which makes the neighbor-to-neighbor approach especially helpful due to some of the unique challenges here such as multi-family houses with more than one owner. Winter Hill resident Mary Mangan, the program’s volunteer Solar Coach, went through that process and is ready to share helpful tips.

"I'm excited to work with our eager volunteers to help our neighbors understand the benefits of solar power. As a co-owner of a two-family home with solar, I can also offer some insights about how that process went for us," said Mangan.

Also key to the program is the selection of a designated vendor, which allows the program to offer reduced cost installation through bulk purchasing. Through a competitive process, SolarFlair, based in Ashland, MA, was selected. They were also the selected installer for the communities of Arlington, Hopkinton, Mendon, Brookline, Carlisle-Chelmsford, Newton, and Quincy.

"We're excited to be the selected installer for Solarize Somerville, and look forward to speaking with any home or business owners that are interested in reducing their electric bills while also making a great investment," said Matt Arner, the owner and President of SolarFlair.

Quick facts:
Solar systems can be purchased outright (with a payback of about 4-5 years). The Mass Solar Loan program offers rates of 3.25% or less.
Or, for no money down owners can choose a power purchase agreement (PPA), where the system is owned and maintained by a third party, and residents buy back the electricity at a discounted price.
More on-site renewable energy is critical to reducing carbon emissions.  It also saves money for residents.

Tax incentives for solar installations include:
Federal Tax Credit: A 30 percent federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC) is available for qualified residential and commercial projects
Massachusetts Personal Income Tax Credit: The lesser of 15% of the total cost of the solar electric system or $1,000, for qualified clean energy projects
Five-year Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS): Business owners can depreciate solar electric systems over a five-year schedule

For more information or to sign up for a free site consultation:

Visit the Solarize Somerville webpage at www.somervillema.gov/sustainaville/solarize for
Helpful information and FAQs
To contact a volunteer or Solar Coach Mary Mangan to discuss solar options and incentives
To set up an appointment for a free site consultation directly with SolarFlair
To find out about events
To volunteer for Solarize Somerville

———————————

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

Solar map of Cambridge, MA
http://www.mapdwell.com/en/cambridge

———————————

Sunny Cambridge has just launched! Sunny Cambridge is the city-wide initiative that makes it easy for all types of residents to get solar power for their homes. Cambridge has lined up local solar installers through the EnergySage Solar Marketplace, which helps you request, receive, and compare solar quotes 100% online with support available every step of the way.

The City of Cambridge is working on many levels to reduce energy use and GHG emissions to make the city more sustainable. As a semifinalist in the nationwide competition for the $5 million Georgetown University Energy Prize, Cambridge Energy Alliance is encouraging residents to take actions to save energy, save money, and protect the environment. Get involved by signing up for a no-cost home energy assessment at the Cambridge Energy Alliance home page (www.cambridgeenergyalliance.org/winit)
and going solar at http://www.sunnycambridge.org

—————————

Cambridge Coalition Solar Access Campaign is part of the DOE SunShot Solar in Your Community Challenge with a goal of 40 new solar electric systems installed in Cambridge, with a focus on serving low-to-moderate income communities.

Coalition partners include Green Cambridge, which works to create a more sustainable city and to protect the environment for the health and safety of all, Resonant Energy, a community-based solar developer, Solstice, helping every single household in America go solar, and Sunwealth, a solar investment firm.

More information at http://www.resonant.energy/sap-overview/

hat tip Cambridge Civic Journal
http://www.rwinters.com

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

"Greening Our Grid" Report Released April 24, 2017

MAPC is excited to announce the release of “Greening Our Grid,” a fact sheet and a case study detailing MAPC’s strategy to use municipal aggregation to help build new renewable energy in New England.

“Greening Our Grid” highlights MAPC's work with the City of Melrose as a case study for MAPC's innovative green municipal aggregation strategy. Melrose recently completed its first year of implementation. The city’s results demonstrate that economic and environmental goals can be met simultaneously, and provide a compelling example for others to follow.

The case study and fact sheet further describe the renewable energy strategy overall, why it can have a real impact on our electricity grid, and MAPC’s program to help other municipalities follow Melrose's lead. Arlington, Brookline, Gloucester, Hamilton, Millis, Somerville, Sudbury, and Winchester are poised to roll out their green aggregations within the year.

MAPC believes that municipal aggregation offers an opportunity for communities to leverage the collective buying power of their residents and businesses to transform our electric grid to cleaner sources of energy, while also providing cost savings and price stability for electricity. The fact sheet and case study will be useful tools for cities and towns that are exploring green municipal aggregation, as well as for those that already have active aggregation programs.

Check out “Greening Our Grid” today at http://www.mapc.org/greening-our-grid, and contact Patrick Roche, MAPC Clean Energy Coordinator, at proche at mapc.org for more information about MAPC's program.

——————————

Cambridge Climate Change Game

Extending our work on face-to-face games, the MIT Science Impact Collaborative has developed a digital game on the health impacts of climate change that you can play alone on your computer or on your mobile phone. The game should take about 10-20 minutes. We would appreciate it if you could play the game at your convenience.

Play the game at http://www.doublecoconut.com/climate/

Any and all feedback on the game should be directed to Ella Kim at ella at mit.edu.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

————————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://events.mit.edu
MIT Energy Club:  http://mitenergyclub.org/
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Microsoft NERD Center:  http://microsoftcambridge.com/Events/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Take Action MA:  http://takeactionma.com

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 12 PM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.