[act-ma] The Nighttime Is The Right Time- Save The Date – Our Fourth “Midnight Voices” Thursday July 19th At Friends Meeting House, Cambridge -Be There For “Open Mic,” Poet Georgia Parks, Vietnam Veteran Bob “Doc” Masters- Mini-Features TBA And More

smedleyvfp@gmail.com alfredjohnson34 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 17 11:30:33 PDT 2018

The Nighttime Is The Right Time- Save The Date – Our Fourth “Midnight Voices” Thursday July 19th At Friends Meeting House, Cambridge -Be There For “Open Mic,” Poet Georgia Parks, Vietnam Veteran Bob “Doc” Masters- Mini-Features TBA And More

No “Midnight Voices” In August We Will Be Back September 20th -Same Place And Same Time

“Midnight Voices” Sponsored By Veterans for Peace-July 19th -7-9:30 PM Friends Meeting House -5 Longfellow Park (across from Longfellow House on Brattle Street), Cambridge, Ma

Many thanks to our contact person Homer Franck, Ian Harrington and the Peace and Social Action Committee of the Cambridge Friends Meeting House.

Calling all poets, writers, musicians, veterans, supporters, soldiers, free spirits- Midnight Voices is held each third Thursday of month. On Thursday July 19th at 7 PM we will have a great line-up. This month as last we will start up with an “open mic” then a feature of about twenty to thirty minutes and another of fifteen to twenty minutes and some mini-features of about fifteen minutes each with an intermission somewhere in between. The “open mic” sign-up will be for roughly five-minute presentations. We will finish by about 9:00 PM to clean up and chat-All are most welcome. Refreshments provided.

Anybody who has books, music and such for sale or for giving away feel free to bring them along as we will have a table set up for that purpose table.

We have lined up Smedley Ex Comm member, doctor and 101st Airborne Vietnam vet Bob Masters to host the July 19th event.

We will not have an event in August but start up again on September 20th  and we have been extended until May 2019 each third Thursday of the month at the Quaker Meeting House.

A Report On “Midnight Voices” Held June 21, 2018

On Thursday June 21st we had our third Midnight Voices program since we have started up again in April hosted by Smedley Al Johnson. This month we started up with an “open mic,” giving non-featured performers several minutes to show their stuff which we want to test again in July. Smedley Homer Franck read poetry, long-time political activist sang some songs as did Greater Boston Folk Song Society members Dorothy Juno-Johnston and Cindy Primett warming up the crowd very nicely.

Samantha member and decorated Vietnam combat medic Marc Levy featured reading from a couple of pieces from his published works. Afghan War veteran Tom Laaser read from his work, a powerful piece about his stay in a mental hospital and a poem. Georgia Parks as she did in May read some of her work about her personal trials and tribulations down in Central America. Smedley David Rothhauser (assisted by Martin from Samantha) regaled us with a short play he wrote based on the historic meeting between Trump and Kim.

Coming July 19th

Georgia Park contributing editor of Sudden Denouement, founder and editor-in-chief of Whisper and the Roar, and author of Quit Your Job and Become a Poet (Out of Spite). She has been published in several literary magazines, most recently, The Offbeat. She does funny, playful, dark, morbid, Trump related and non- Trump related poems, with or without an emphasis on travel. She is currently pursuing an MA in English with a focus on creative writing and working as an editor of confidential documents.

And….

Host Bob Masters will grace us with some readings

Just added-reading from his Sacco and Vanzetti work:

David Rothauser, writer, director, actor, filmmaker U.S. Army vet, Korean War. David began his career as an actor while living in Paris, France. Among his film and television credits are THE LONGEST DAY KENNEDY and SPENSER FOR HIRE. He is the founder of MEMORY PRODUCTIONS, an independent film company which produced his film, THE DIARY OF SACCO AND VANZETTI, broadcast on WGBH-TV, Boston in 2004 and 2005. HIBAKUSHA, OUR LIFE to LIVE, the stories of Hiroshima-Nagasaki survivors, premiered at the United Nations in 2010. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon requested copies for the UN.

Currently David is completing a historical novel about the Sacco-Vanzetti case. Copies of two of his films are available for purchase at MV.