[act-ma] 11/29 Decolonizing Puerto Rico’s Energy: The Renewable Revolution

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Nov 25 09:00:16 PST 2018

As Puerto Rico seeks to recover from Hurricane Maria, major decisions
are being made about the island’s future. Will global corporations
impose the same old model or will grassroots sustainable alternatives
win the day? What are the implications elsewhere?

Following a showing of Naomi Klein’s short film, The Battle for
Paradise: Naomi Klein Reports from Puerto Rico, which lays out the
challenges Puerto Rico faces, Sajed Kamal will share ideas and examples
of successful efforts to make the shift to renewables. Dr. Kamal, who
has taught in the Sustainable International Development department at
Brandeis for 20 years, has developed exciting renewable energy projects
in the United States, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Armenia, El Salvador and
Zimbabwe.

His books include The Renewable Revolution: How We Can Fight Climate
Change, Prevent Energy Wars, Revitalize the Economy and Transition to a
Sustainable Future, which Bill McKibben endorsed as “Kamal is the
navigator we need to sail with confidence into this new century.”

Join us for this important discussion.

Light refreshments

Cambridge Public Library - Central Square Branch
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cambridge-Public-Library-Central-Square-Branch/795172037234241?eid=ARA4u0bJ0OyGHHjcxH1yHUJF2CWx-0IRAWOhqJF0WZg6EpjCX3UM3BgQ1OB-ztKRs7IjUUlC_l4T7303>

45 Pearl St, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139

Thurs. Nov. 29th
6:30 to 8:30 PM

https://www.facebook.com/events/437277436808775/