[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - December 16, 2018

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Dec 16 10:39:24 PST 2018

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

———————————
Monday, December 17
———————————

8am  Solar Roundtable
6pm  Across the Aisle: Finding Common Ground in Congress
7pm  The Anthropocene: How humans have pushed the planet into a new geological epoch

———————————
Tuesday, December 18
———————————

12pm  Innovation Ecosystems: Leveraging their Power for Organizational Success and Strategic Change
1pm  How to Hold the Fossil Fuel Industry Accountable for Climate Change
6pm  The Energy Blockchain: A Festive Technology Tour
6pm  Test & Iterate: Opioid Epidemic Idea
6:30pm  GBH [Greater Boston Humanist] Discussion Group: Beginning a Dialogue on Humanist Community Building

—————————————
Wednesday, December 19
—————————————

7:30am  Boston Sustainability Breakfast
8am  Health and Wellness Roundtable with Dr. Joseph Allen of Harvard
2pm  Data Science for Good Webinar
6:30pm  Security: Rogue Device Attacks

————————————
Thursday, December 20
————————————

12:15pm  Taking the Bizarre Seriously in Diplomatic History
1pm  Open Civic Meeting at MIT Center for Civic Media

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Demands of the Yellow Vests or Gilets Jaunes
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/12/9/1818046/-Demands-of-the-Yellow-Vests-or-Gilets-Jaunes

My Approach to Climate Change
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/12/14/1819295/-My-Approach-to-Climate-Change

———————————
Monday, December 17
———————————

Solar Roundtable
Monday, December 17
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM EST
Edison, Floor 16, 50 Milk Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/solar-roundtable-tickets-52361171674
Cost:  $0 – $50

USGBC MA’s mission is to drive sustainable and regenerative design, construction, and operation of the built environment. The only way to accomplish our mission is to collaborate with community members. To that end, we are kicking off a series of practice (architects, engineers, contractors….) and topic (health & wellness, net zero, living buildings…) roundtables.
The Solar Roundtable will enable like-minded professionals to gather and explore specific issues, define actions, develop strategies and explore solutions related to solar in the green building industry. Join us in moving the needle towards a net positive environment, society, and economy.

———————————————

Across the Aisle: Finding Common Ground in Congress
Monday, December 17
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EST
Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, 210 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/across-the-aisle-finding-common-ground-in-congress-tickets-52628727942

A bipartisan panel of Members of Congress will gather at the Kennedy Institute to discuss the state of affairs in Washington, opportunities for common ground in the 116th Congress, the political challenges they face, and how to foster a vibrant civic dialogue. This program is hosted in partnership with the United States Association of Former Members of Congress.

Moderated by Paul Kane, Senior Congressional Correspondent and Columnist for The Washington Post, the panel will include:
Congressman Rodney Davis (R-IL-15)
Congressman Joe Kennedy III (D-MA-4)
Congressman Markwayne Mullin (R-OK-2)
Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE-At Large)

——————————————

The Anthropocene: How humans have pushed the planet into a new geological epoch
Monday, December 17
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Mr. Crepe, 51 Davis Square, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Idealists-and-Rationals-of-Boston/events/256897843/

The effects that humans have on the planet is so large that it has pushed us in a new geological era called 'the Anthropocene'. Our influence on nature equals the power normally unleashed by an asteroid striking the earth or the shift in tectonic plates. When did the 'Anthropocene' start and how long will it last?

The fact that we now know how much human activity influences the planet should allow us to be proactive and develop strategies to shape our world the way we wish it to be.

Professor Will Steffen talks about 'planetary boundaries' behind which we should not push the planet without risking an irreversible, abrupt shift. Others say that it is already too late to reverse course.

We can no longer speak of 'nature' as something separate from human influence. In the future, we have to think of nature as something we have to sustain, like tending to a garden. This is part of the new 'rewilding' movement, an effort to combat species extinction. A good example of this is the 'Oostvaarderplassen' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GCkMrHc8I) in the Netherlands and the European Green Belt (http://www.europeangreenbelt.org/), formerly known as the Iron Curtain.

For further reading and viewing, please go to:
The Anthropocene: A man-made world (http://www.economist.com/node/18741749)
Can 'Rewilding' Restore Vanishing Ecosystems (http://www.ted.com/talks/george_monbiot_for_more_wonder_rewild_the_world?language=en)
Will Steffen - The Anthropocene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZjlfhN0EQ)
Wildlife in the Anthropocene: Conservation Without Nature (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhd3hJEcvEo)

———————————
Tuesday, December 18
———————————

Innovation Ecosystems: Leveraging their Power for Organizational Success and Strategic Change
Tuesday, December 18
12:00pm to 1:00pm
Webinar
RSVP at https://engage.vevent.com/index.jsp?eid=1274&seid=292&code=mit_homepage

Innovation is a critical component to success in today’s ever-changing business landscape. It flourishes in an environment in which key stakeholders can connect, contribute, and share re-sources—in other words, when they are part of an innovation ecosystem.

Join us for a complimentary webinar: December 18, 2018 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. EST

———————————————

How to Hold the Fossil Fuel Industry Accountable for Climate Change
Tuesday, December 18
1:00–2:00 p.m. EST
Webinar
RSVP at https://secure.ucsusa.org/onlineactions/-llXiZly40iJp6VKCJJuWw2

Help reduce Big Oil's political influence.

Join our webinar for a closer look at how putting pressure on Big Oil can be a part of climate solutions, and how you can get involved [to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable for climate change].

The fossil fuel industry has spent decades spreading climate science disinformation and paying industry lobbyists to obstruct climate action. Now, the same Big Oil companies that are responsible for the growing costs of climate change are trying to avoid being held accountable for their actions.

The Union of Concerned Scientists invites you to a webinar on how holding fossil fuel companies accountable for their role in climate change can help reduce Big Oil's political influence and pass strong climate policies.

A recent UCS report found that even today, fossil fuel companies continue to spread climate disinformation and fund third-party industry groups to lobby for anti-climate policies.  While  some  companies  have taken steps to distance themselves from anti-climate messages, it's not enough.

Please register for the webinar today, and join us for a closer look at how putting pressure on fossil fuel companies can be a part of climate solutions, and how you can get involved.

—————————————

The Energy Blockchain: A Festive Technology Tour
Tuesday, December 18
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EST
WeWork, 625 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-energy-blockchain-a-festive-technology-tour-tickets-53053746183

The energy industry is buzzing about the potential for blockchain technology to revolutionize grid efficiency. Solar panels can now be integrated within a decentralized blockchain network, allowing users to buy and sell energy without any central party validation. With solar markets growing each year and tech capability progressing in leaps and bounds, now is an exciting time to invest in the energy blockchain.

Solar expert and Power2Peer founder Dr. Nish Sonwalkar (ScD, MIT) invites you to join him for an open discussion as he reviews the technology that makes it possible: blockchain, photonic solar microgrids, software-defined network controllers (SDNC), peer-to-peer transactions and more. Dr. Sonwalkar will also provide an update on the progress of Power2Peer initiatives. Join us as we celebrate the festive season with what promises to be a spirited discussion on the future of blockchain and renewable energy!

Learn more about Power2Peer at https://power2peer.com

Brief Bio of Presenter/Host
Dr. Nish Sonwalkar (ScD., MIT), Founder, Power2Peer.com
Dr. Nish Sonwalkar is an inventor and entrepreneur with over 25 years of experience in the development of innovative technologies related to solar thermal applications, open-cycle ocean thermal energy conversion (OC-OTEC) evaporators and molecular dynamics of energy materials and nano-interfaces, such as Si and copper interfaces and optical coatings. As the former Principal Research Scientist and faculty at MIT, he developed the combined molecular dynamics (MD) and laser Raman spectroscopy methodology for the design of new material interfaces. With Power2Peer, Inc., Dr. Sonwalkar has created a blockchain-enabled adaptive solar microgrid platform for peer-to-peer power trading.

———————————————

Test & Iterate: Opioid Epidemic Idea
Tuesday, December 18
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts, 101 Huntington Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston-Design-Thinking-Meetup/events/257011572/

Many of you joined us earlier this year to use design thinking to take on the opioid epidemic. It's a topic that means a lot to a lot of people. Recently, we had a new idea around this, we created a prototype and would love to test it then iterate with you all!

We'll also be sharing how to administer naloxone in case you ever come into a situation like that.

Please fill out this google form if you can attend!
https://goo.gl/forms/j0EGIJ7mQxEL1cxe2

———————————————————

GBH [Greater Boston Humanist] Discussion Group: Beginning a Dialogue on Humanist Community Building
Tuesday, December 18
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Capital One Café, 24 John F. Kennedy Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/GreaterBostonHumanists/events/257188166/

Come connect with your fellow Humanists, Atheists, and Agnostics in a friendly, thoughtful, moderated discussion. This week, we'll be talking about the role dialogue can play in building a humanist community. This event is free and open to the public.

In this loosely structured discussion setup, there will be group agreements laid out at the beginning, followed by introductions, then several rounds of discussion and open dialogue, with attendees taking care to listen to others thoughtfully:

What role has discussion and dialogue played in the way you build relationships?
What things make you feel able to be vulnerable with other people? What things make it more difficult?
What role does deep and open conversation play in the communities you are a part of?
How can we begin to build a productive community as Humanists or secular people?

Capital One Cafe is accessible by MTBA and is located steps away from the Harvard Square T station on JFK Street.

Editorial Comment:  There are at least three meetings that happen at banks with community spaces now.

—————————————
Wednesday, December 19
—————————————

Boston Sustainability Breakfast
Wednesday, December 19
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM EST
Pret a Manger, 101 Arch Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-50422431851

Join us every month for Net Impact Boston's informal breakfast meetup of sustainability professionals for networking, discussion, and moral support. It's important to remind ourselves that we are not the only ones out there in the business world trying to do good! Feel free to drop by Pret a Manger any time between 7:30 and 8:30 AM.

—————————————————

Health and Wellness Roundtable with Dr. Joseph Allen of Harvard
Wednesday, December 19
8:00 AM
Bruner/Cott, 225 Friend Street, Suite 701, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/health-and-wellness-roundtable-with-dr-joseph-allen-of-harvard-tickets-53193781031
Cost:  $0 – $50

Join USGBC MA’s Health and Wellness Roundtable, a venue for architects, designers, construction managers, and sustainability professionals to discuss issues related to healthy buildings.

Our special guest will be Dr. Joseph Allen, the Director of the Healthy Buildings Program at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Dr. Allen’s research reveals how air, temperature, lighting and noise affect our health. The results of his work, such as the Cogfx studies, have been instrumental in the design and construction industry.

Please join us for a morning discussion with Dr. Allen to hear about the three Cogfx studies and how his research has advanced the healthy building movement! Learn about Dr. Allen’s vision to make health an explicit factor in decision-making processes. Let’s discuss ways in which industry and practice can benefit and support academic research to advance the cause of the healthy building movement. Coffee and light breakfast fare will be provided
This event will be hosted by Bruner/Cott Architects, and is put on by USGBC MA.

Meet Dr. Allen
Dr. Allen researches community and occupational exposures and health risks related to a broad range of chemical, biological, physical and radiological stressors. In particular, he focuses on the built environment, emissions from building materials and consumer products, and building system performance, each of which has the potential for both positive and negative impacts on human health, well-being and productivity. He is the Director of the Healthy Buildings program at the Harvard Center for Health and the Global Environment and faculty director of the Harvard Sensors for Health research group. Dr. Allen teaches a class on the Impact of Buildings on Human Health, and is the faculty advisor for a new initiative out of Harvard’s Office for Sustainability – the Harvard Healthier Building Materials Academy.

—————————————————

Data Science for Good Webinar
Wednesday, December 19
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Webinar
RSVP at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/560915152644257027

We want to invite you to participate in ODSC Data Science for Good Webinar!
We will discuss how can we leverage data science and its versatile tools to solve real-life problems. Technologies progress and develop, data becomes more prolific and useful. How can we, as data scientists benefiting from this momentum, help the rest of the world catch up?

To access this webinar, please register using the link below:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/560915152644257027

We are bringing 4 speakers to present 30 minutes sessions.