[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - August 11, 2019

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 11 08:41:00 PDT 2019

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

—————————
Monday, August 12
—————————

11:30am  The Quest for a Bionic Hand: Recent Achievements and Future Perspectives

——————————
Tuesday, August 13
——————————

4:30pm  Happy Hour with Cass Sunstein: How Change Happens
6pm  Transportation and Climate Community Engagement Workshop - Chelsea
6pm  Mass Innovation Nights 125:  Boston Scientific
6:30pm  Extinction Rebellion New Member Orientation Meeting
7pm  Sudden Courage:  Youth in France Confront the Germans, 1940-1945
7pm  JP Solar Professionals - August Happy Hour

———————————
Wednesday, August 14
———————————

6pm  Make Our Voices Heard "Our Fight For Healthcare”
7pm  XR [Extinction Rebellion] Sharing Circle
7pm  Science for the People

——————————
Thursday, August 15
——————————

9am  Life Cycle Assessment: What You Want to Know
3pm  Food Forest
5:30pm  Tour and Tasting at UFI's Fowler Clark Epstein Farm
6pm  StartHub Founders Series: Laura Carpenter, CEO of Abridge News
6pm  Opening Night: The Atrocity of US
7pm  White Flights:  Race, Fiction, and the American Imagination

———————————————————
Friday, August 16 - Sunday, August 18
———————————————————

12th Annual Boston GreenFest

——————————
Saturday, August 17
——————————

10am  Sunrise Boston Orientation Training
10:30am  Freedom Forum: Stranger Fruit

—————————
Sunday August 18
—————————

10am  Sunrise Boston Orientation Training
12pm  Fort Point Festival 2019
1pm  Indigenous Perspectives on Environmental Justice
2pm  6th Annual Monarch Butterfly Release
7:30  Capturing the Flag – A Firsthand Account of Voter Suppression in North Carolina

——————————
Monday, August 19
——————————

4pm  HubWeek Open Doors: East Boston
6:30pm  Conflict Resolution in the Workplace

——————————
Tuesday, August 20
——————————

10:30am  Tour of Boston Organics
6pm  Authors at MIT | Nolen Gertz: Nihilism @ The MIT Press Bookstore

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Parkland:  When the Targets Talk Back
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/8/7/1877501/-Parkland-When-the-Targets-Talk-Back

—————————
Monday, August 12
—————————

The Quest for a Bionic Hand: Recent Achievements and Future Perspectives
WHEN  Monday, Aug. 12, 2019, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
WHERE  Wyss Institute, 3rd Floor, Room 330, 60 Oxford Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR	Wyss Institute at Harvard University
SPEAKER(S)  Silvestro Micera, Bertarelli Foundation Chair, Translational NeuroEngineering
Professor, Institute of Bioengineering & Center for Neuroprosthetics, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland;
Professor, Translational Neural Engineering, The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy
TICKET WEB LINK  https://wyss.harvard.edu/event/the-quest-for-a-bionic-hand-recent-achievements-and-future-perspectives/
CONTACT INFO	events at wyss.harvard.edu
DETAILS  Replacing a missing upper limb with a functional one is an ancient need and desire. Historically, humans have replaced a missing limb with a prosthesis for many reasons, be it cosmetic, vocational, or for personal autonomy. The hand is a powerful tool and its loss causes severe physical and often mental debilitation. The need for a versatile prosthetic limb with intuitive motor control and realistic sensory feedback is huge and its development is absolutely necessary for the near future.
LINK  https://wyss.harvard.edu/event/the-quest-for-a-bionic-hand-recent-achievements-and-future-perspectives/

——————————
Tuesday, August 13
——————————

Happy Hour with Cass Sunstein: How Change Happens
Tuesday, August 13
4:30pm to 5:30pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

A special "happy hour" event with author and Harvard Law professor Cass Sunstein! Join us to mingle over light refreshments, hear from the author, and get your copy of How Change Happens signed. Please note the 4:30 pm event time, and feel free to stop by throughout the hour!

"Sunstein's book is illuminating because it puts norms at the center of how we think about change."--David Brooks, The New York Times

How does social change happen? When do social movements take off? Sexual harassment was once something that women had to endure; now a movement has risen up against it. White nationalist sentiments, on the other hand, were largely kept out of mainstream discourse; now there is no shortage of media outlets for them. In this book, with the help of behavioral economics, psychology, and other fields, Cass Sunstein casts a bright new light on how change happens.

Sunstein focuses on the crucial role of social norms--and on their frequent collapse. When norms lead people to silence themselves, even an unpopular status quo can persist. Then one day, someone challenges the norm--a child who exclaims that the emperor has no clothes; a woman who says "me too." Sometimes suppressed outrage is unleashed, and long-standing practices fall.

Sometimes change is more gradual, as "nudges" help produce new and different decisions--apps that count calories; texted reminders of deadlines; automatic enrollment in green energy or pension plans. Sunstein explores what kinds of nudges are effective and shows why nudges sometimes give way to bans and mandates. Finally, he considers social divisions, social cascades, and "partyism," when identification with a political party creates a strong bias against all members of an opposing party--which can both fuel and block social change.

Cass R. Sunstein, Robert Walmsley University Professor at Harvard Law School, was Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration. He was the recipient of the 2018 Holberg Prize, one of the largest annual international research prizes awarded to scholars who have made outstanding contributions to research in the arts and humanities, social science, law, or theology. He is the author of The Cost-Benefit Revolution (MIT Press), Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness (with Richard H. Thaler), and other books.

———————————————

Transportation and Climate Community Engagement Workshop - Chelsea
Tuesday, August 13
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Mary C. Burke Elementary Complex, Kelly School Cafeteria, 300 Crescent Avenue, Chelsea
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/transportation-and-climate-community-engagement-workshop-chelsea-tickets-66070204761

We have an opportunity to address two of our greatest challenges together -- transportation and climate change.

Opportunity - Equity - Investment
At this workshop we will talk about how states across the northeast are working together to develop a regional policy to fight climate change and improve transportation. The goal is to deliver a better, cleaner transportation system that benefits all our communities, while reducing greenhouse gases and air pollution across the region. And, in particular, to make improvements in communities who are underserved by current transportation options and disproportionately burdened by pollution.
Massachusetts state agencies are looking for your input on how to accomplish these goals through a program that would cap and reduce transportation emissions and invest proceeds from the program into low-carbon, more resilient transportation infrastructure.

———————————————

Mass Innovation Nights 125:  Boston Scientific
Tuesday, August 13
6:00pm
District Hall, 75 Northern Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://mass.innovationnights.com/node/add/rsvp

So excited to be back at District Hall with second time sponsor Boston Scientific. Thanks to Boston Scientific, Mass Innovation Nights #125 will feature more than 10 innovations focusing on medical and tech solutions for aging in place, pediatrics and the disabled population. Join us on TUESDAY,  August 13th at 6pm for #MIN125 --  an evening of innovation in the Seaport District!

Don't miss it -- TUESDAY, August 13th 6pm-8:30pm for Mass Innovation Nights #125
(617) 982-3213

————————————————

Extinction Rebellion New Member Orientation Meeting
Tuesday, August 13
6:30 p.m.
First Church Cambridge, Harter Room, 11 Garden Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/new-member-8-13/

If you are new to XR or would just like to learn more about how it works, please come to our next new member orientation session. We will cover the following:
Where did XR come from? What is civil disobedience & direct action?
What is the extinction rebellion about? What do we want?
What are our principles and values? What brings us together?
How are we organized? What are working groups & affinity groups?
Come out and meet some of our local XRebels and learn how you can get involved!

The session will run for around 90 minutes.

————————————————

Sudden Courage:  Youth in France Confront the Germans, 1940-1945
Tuesday, August 13
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes acclaimed writer and educator RONALD C. ROSBOTTOM—Winifred L. Arms Professor in the Arts and Humanities at Amherst College—for a discussion of his new book, Sudden Courage: Youth in France Confront the Germans, 1940-1945.

About Sudden Courage
The author of the acclaimed When Paris Went Dark, longlisted for the National Book Award, returns to World War II once again to tell the incredible story of the youngest members of the French Resistance—many only teenagers—who waged a hidden war against the Nazi occupiers and their collaborators in Paris and across France.
On June 14, 1940, German tanks rolled into Paris. Eight days later, France accepted a humiliating defeat and foreign occupation. Most citizens adapted and many even allied themselves with the new fascist leadership. Yet others refused to capitulate; in answer to the ruthless violence, shortages, and curfews imposed by the Nazis, a resistance arose. Among this shadow army were Jews, immigrants, communists, workers, writers, police officers, shop owners, including many young people in their teens and twenties.

Ronald Rosbottom tells the riveting story of how those brave and untested youth went from learning about literature to learning the art of sabotage, from figuring out how to solve an equation to how to stealthily avoid patrols, from passing notes to stealing secrets—and even learning how to kill. The standard challenges of adolescence were amplified and distorted.

Sudden Courage brilliantly evokes this dark and uncertain period, from the beginning of the occupation until the last German left French soil. A chronicle of youthful sacrifice and courage in the face of evil, it is a story that holds relevance for our own time, when democratic nations are once again under threat from rising nativism and authoritarianism. Beyond that, it is a riveting investigation about what it means for a young person to come of age under unpredictable and violent circumstances.

————————————

JP Solar Professionals - August Happy Hour
Tuesday, August 13
7:00 PM – 10:00 PM EDT
Bella Luna & The Milky Way, 284 Amory Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jp-solar-professionals-august-happy-hour-tickets-66983249703

Join friends, neighbors and solar professionals - this month we meet at Bella Luna in the Brewery Complex.

———————————
Wednesday, August 14
———————————

Make Our Voices Heard "Our Fight For Healthcare"
Wednesday, August 14
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Cambridge Innovation Center, 1 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/make-our-voices-heard-our-fight-for-healthcare-tickets-63996409985

This event is open to all. This event is designed to discuss solutions to the disparities that Black Women, the Elderly, and other underserved demographics in America face during their experiences with the American healthcare system.

Unfortunately, in the United States, Black women experience significant issues with healthcare. Black women are 3 to 4 times more likely to die from pregnancy-related deaths than any other race. An American Cancer Society study showed the rate that black American women are dying from cervical cancer is comparable to that of women in many poor developing nations.

Dr. Sanithia L. Williams stated in the New York Times, “Actual institutional and structural racism has a big bearing on our patients’ lives, and it’s our responsibility to talk about that more than just saying that it’s a problem,”.

The baby boomers are entering old age, resulting in the biggest elderly population in United States history. Researchers have concluded that ageism directly affects the longevity of older adults. In a study published by the American Psychological Association, concluded that old people with positive perceptions of aging lived an average of 7.5 years longer than those with negative images of growing older.
Immigrants are facing extreme threats due to current political administration policies, therefore affecting their access to healthcare.

Therefore, how can these demographics protect themselves? How can they make their voices heard? How can we change this narrative? What technology or policies could assist? Join us for a group discussion and educational health presentations!

This event is hosted by The Mary J. Harris Foundation, Inc a 501c(3) non-profit in partnership with the Cambridge Innovation Center
Sponsored by Young Professionals Network of the Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts (YPN-ULEM)

—————————————

XR [Extinction Rebellion] Sharing Circle
Wednesday, August 14
7 p.m.
Online through Zoom
RSVP at https://xrmass.org/action/xr-sharing-circle/

All are welcome as we sit with each other's feelings on the ecological crisis and this huge adventure we're on together. On Zoom from 7:00-8:00pm.

—————————————

Science for the People
Wednesday, August 14
7-9pm
BU Metcalf Science Center, room SCI 328, 590 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston
It's the Condensed Matter Theory Lounge. If you have issues finding the room, call or text at 617-821-1821.

As our political discussion, we'll talk about nuclear energy and weapons. These two articles were suggested, but if anyone has additional material that is relevant, send it to this list.
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/07/what-nuclear-semiotics-are
https://gcadvocate.com/2018/07/29/salami-tacticals-little-nukes-no-big-deal/

We will also need to take some decisions on the magazine launch party, including venue, food & drink and events (and collecting funds for all of that). If anyone has suggestions for these, send them to me. Right now the plan is to have the party on a weeknight in the second or third week of September. That way students and faculty will be back and we can try to use the event to grow the organization.

——————————
Thursday, August 15
——————————

Life Cycle Assessment: What You Want to Know
Thursday, August 15
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM EDT
Room Anchor, 1st Floor, 50 Milk Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/life-cycle-assessment-what-you-want-to-know-tickets-65963991073
Cost:  $98

A Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a tool for understanding the environmental impacts associated with a material, a product, a building, or an activity. Assessment factors include the material extraction and processing, manufacturing, distribution, use or installation, and repair/maintenance, up to and possibly including the disposal and recycling of it. An Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) is a document that communicates LCA information. Both the LCA process and EPDs work towards implementing transparency in the built environment. This course will look closely at the nuances of LCAs and EPDs, and their relations with the Living Building Challenge, Living Product Challenge, LEED, and Green Globes standards. You will learn how to get the information you need to make product decisions, as well as related advocacy opportunities, political debate, and emerging trends and impacts. This course will use the lens of building transparency curated through LCA and EPDs and supplemented with related sustainability initiatives, ratings, and standards, to look at building material impact.

—————————————

Food Forest
Thursday, August 15
3 PM – 8 PM
Mass Audubon Boston Nature Center, 500 Walk Hill Street, Mattapan
RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/264347174399381/

Mark your calendars for Third Thursdays! Come and enjoy good company and good food with your fellow permaculture enthusiasts at the Third Thursday Boston Food Forest Potlucks!

Third Thursdays will be held all season on May 16, June 20, July 18, August 15, September 19, and October 17. We welcome to come to both the Workday and the Potluck, or either if you can attend one!
The Workdays are from 3-6. We meet at the Gazebo to start, but come any time and find us in the food forest!
The Potlucks are from 6-8. Bring a dish or drink of your own choice, and your own tableware (we will set up a dishwashing station). We will be at the Gazebo next to the Community Gardens.

On most Thursdays we will be joined by Ben Crouch, tree expert, permaculture teacher, and proprietor of Land of Plenty LLC, to walk us through the plans for our work. Ben is amazingly knowledgeable and so the workdays will also be a great learning experience for all.

Come learn about how to take care of a food forest, help us build our flagship site, meet like-minded folks, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Last year, we planted scores of new fruit and nut trees, and started building polycultures around them. This year, we are going to add new plants, but we will also be improving soil, pruning, maintaining plant health, and removing some of the competing invasive plants.

Tour and Tasting at UFI's Fowler Clark Epstein Farm
Thursday, August 15
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Fowler Clark Epstein Farm, 487 Norfolk Street, Mattapan
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/tour-and-tasting-at-ufis-fowler-clark-epstein-farm-tickets-64530578698

Join SBN as we tour the Urban Farming Institute (UFI)'s newly restored historic Fowler Clark Epstein Farm!

Historic Boston, along with its partners, the Urban Farming Institute, The Trust for Public Land, and North Bennet Street School, recently restored the 1786 Fowler Clark Epstein Farm, transforming the property into UFI's new urban farming headquarters and education center, including classrooms, demonstration kitchen, planting beds, and a farm stand.

Come learn how UFI is using Fowler Clark Epstein Farm to create healthy places and healthy people through training, education, research, and development. After the tour, you will be able to taste produce grown fresh from the farm!