[act-ma] 3/22 Femke Rosenbaum at CCB, viturally

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Mar 20 20:19:45 PDT 2020

Dean Stevens writes

Join us on Sunday March 22 for a virtual gathering. Just as we did last
week, we will gather on Sunday morning in a conference call, and on
Facebook live.

Jamaica Plain activist and community organizer Femke Rosenbaum was an
early mover and shaker in the ‘70s struggle to stop highway construction
that would have sliced through the heart of a string of Boston
communities. The project was defeated, and now in its place, is the
Southwest Corridor, public transportation, parks and recreation, bike
paths to downtown. Stemming from that starting point, Femke went on to
direct Spontaneous Celebrations, a deeply dynamic community rooted space
from which have grown two major events: The Wake up the Earth Festival
and the Lantern Festival…..CCB praises phenomenal and exceptional
community activism. Thank You, Femke!!

music by Alastair Moock

Here are the details:

Call in to this number: Dial in Number: 515-604-9099, then dial the
Access Code: 230-947-764. You will be added to a conference call.

If you don’t get into the call on your first try, try again at 11:05.
The platform, www.freeconferencecall.com
<http://www.freeconferencecall.com>, gets swamped with calls on the hour.

Also, if you have a computer and wifi, join us on MY Dean Stevens
Facebook page: you can easily set up an account. You can make a friend
request to my page. *I am doing this on my own page, not the church’s
page, because the church’s page does not have a FB live function, or
else I haven’t figured out how to use it.*

The speaker for this Sunday, Femke Rosenbaum, postponed her talk, as
have several other speakers. We will, I hope, still, with Judith
Woodruff, do a shout out to Femke’s amazing community activist work. And
we can maybe connect with her on the phone. Other upcoming speakers have
agreed to join us virtually. We are looking into using  a Zoom
connection, which is a very effective video meeting platform.

We will have a phenomenal musician and songwriter with us, Alastair
Moock.  He has agreed to come in, and he and I will hold forth. He has
some great songs of freedom and struggle.

I want to, if I can, give you a video-tour of a number of documents from
the archives. It’s a treasure trove to share, and there is lots of
material there for us to celebrate ourselves on this, our One Hundredth
Anniversary.

DO NOT COME TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY! But join us by phone and internet.

Stay well, stay safe, stay in touch. Call me! 617-869-3014. Call each
other. If you need phone numbers, let me know.

You Gotta Have Hope,    Dean

PS: The Fulani Haynes Jazz Collaborative’s concert this Saturday has
been POSTPONED, NOT CANCELED (see poster below)

Facebook indicates the event at the church is cancelled
https://www.facebook.com/events/2774687929425564/