[act-ma] URGENT ACTION: JOIN COMMUNITY CHANGE RAPID RESPONSE TEAM

Janet janet at communitychangeinc.org
Wed Feb 6 07:35:54 PST 2008

ARE YOU READY TO PUT YOUR ANTI-RACIST VALUES INTO ACTION?

  BECOME A MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY CHANGE RAPID RESPONSE TEAM!

             Throughout our nearly 40 year history, Community Change
has been committed to action for racial justice.  To increase our
impact when the need for action arises, CCI is forming a Rapid
Response Team; we are developing a network of volunteers who are
willing to participate in antiracist actions in the Boston area and
who will inform and encourage others to join them.  To be a member of
the CCI Rapid Response Team, it is not necessary to answer every call
for action, but rather to be willing, when possible, to stand up for
racial justice with others. To join CCI’s Rapid Response Team, call
617-523-0555 or email janet at communitychangeinc.org

ACTION IS NEEDED NOW FOR TWO ISSUES IN THE BOSTON AREA

1. Help stop housing evictions in Dorchester & Boston-area. The
pressure generated by activists forming blockades in front of the
homes of those facing eviction has halted the bank’s plans. THIS
ACTION IS WORKING BUT MANY OTHERS ARE FACING EVICTIONS. You can help
tenants avoid some of the devastation of the racist sub-prime
mortgage disaster by standing with these tenants. The most probable
next case will be a triple decker where the tenants have offered to
buy, have applied for and received mortgage approval after having the
foreclosed property value appraised, and then were turned down by the
bank as they doubled the asking price.

For stories and info on foreclosure evictions in Boston, go to:
http://boston.indymedia.org and http://www.clvu.org
  For history and analysis of the subprime mortgage disaster and how
it affects communities of color, go to http://www.faireconomy.org and
click on Foreclosed: State of the Dream 2008.

  To hear more about and discuss this issue, come to the Community
Change Brown Bag Discussion on February 20 to meet Roxan McKinnon,
Director of City Life/Vida Urbana.

  2. Help ensure high quality education for all MA K-12 students by
reforming MCAS now.

Join us at the State House on February 13 for the
  			MCAS Reform – Lobby Day & Action

Wednesday February 13, 2008, 10:30 a.m.

Room A-1, The State House

  We will be asking the Governor, our representatives and senators to
reduce the weight of the MCAS and use a range of evidence to
determine graduation as has been done successfully in other states.
If possible, please make            appointments with your
Representative and Senator to meet with them on February 13 (11:30 am
or after). Appointments can be made now, and let us know if you would
like assistance in making appointments. Even if you can’t make
appointments before, please come anyway and we will direct you to
your legislators’ offices.
  b. Call the Governor, your Representative and your Senator anytime

on February 13, or during the week of February 11-18 and ask for
their support of MCAS Reform. Governor’s Phone #: 617-725-4005 –
State Phone #: 617-722-2000.

  c. Email the Governor, your Representative and your Senator anytime

February 13, or during the week of February 11-18 and ask for their

support of MCAS Reform. To email the Governor: Go to www.mass.gov.

Click on “contact the Governor’s office” and you will be directed to an

email form.

  For more information on the MCAS Reform effort, go to: http://
www.citizensforpublicschools.org