[act-ma] Weds, July 2, noon: Global Warming rally

Loie Hayes loiehayes at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 07:34:40 PDT 2008

"Global Warming Day of Action"
Date: Wednesday, July 2nd
Time: noon rally followed by lobbying
Location: In front of the State House , Beacon Street, Boston
make a commitment to reducing our carbon emissions by passing a Global
Warming Solutions Act that reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 20% by 2020
and 80% by 2050.   The MA Senate has already passed this bill and we have
the votes to pass it in the House but political leaders are blocking it from
coming up for a vote. They say, it's too ambitious! We say, whose profits
are you protecting? Whose children are you neglecting?

This week climatologist James Hansen, head of Nasa's Goddard Institute for
Space Studies, told the House Select Committee for Energy Independence and
Climate Change that the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies
should be put on trial for crimes against humanity and nature. He also
asserted that because we haven't done anything yet to curb our emissions, he
is certain that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is already beyond
the safe level – we're already at 385 parts per million of carbon dioxide,
and it's increasing at a rate of 2ppm a year. The "safe" level, according to
Hansen, is 350. (Read excerpts from his testimony at
http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/6/23/164650/123?source=daily)

Twenty years after James Hansen first testified about the dangers of global
warming, we are still waiting for federal legislation.  Massachusetts can
help lead the way and join states like California and Connecticut in passing
a Global Warming bill.  We have until the end of July to pass this bill
before the legislative session is adjourned and we're forced back to square
one. Governor Patrick, Secretary of Energy and Environment Ian Bowles and
Speaker DiMasi need to hear your voices calling for action on this bill now.

Call them now and let them know you're coming to Beacon Hill on July 2nd and
you want to know if they will endorse the Global Warming Solutions Act at
the rally.

Governor Patrick 617-725-4005
Sec't Bowles 617-626-1000
Speaker DiMasi 617-722-2500

Time is running out to pass this monumental bill for the commonwealth.  Show
your support and come on out to fight global warming and support a clean
energy revolution!
---
Loie Hayes
Coordinator, Boston Climate Action Network
Roxbury MA 02120
617-278-1885
www.bostoncan.org