[act-ma] 5/07 Performances of "Soldiers' Tales Unfold"

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Thu May 7 06:29:32 PDT 2009

Forwarded message:

My name is Shaw Pong, I am a Boston-based musician and
director. I'd like to invite you and the Antiwar meetup members
to a special performance  of "Soldiers' Tales Untold" at St.
John's Church in JP this Thursday, May 7th at 7:30pm.

"Soldiers' Tales Untold" is a musical and theatrical production
mixing Stravinsky's "Soldier's Tale" with veterans' stories and
improvised music. It is an ideal fit for your meetup as it

attempts to create awareness and dialogue around war through a
musical and artistic medium.

We have a phenomenal cast of nine improvising-musician-
narrators -- and hope some of your group members can come and

be a part of the community dialogue. More details below!

Please help me by sharing this invitation with your Meetup
members, and other folks or organizations you think might be
interested!

Thank you, and hope to see you May 7th (or at our following

noon-time show on June 17th) !

Warmly,

Shaw Pong Liu
director
Soldiers' Tales Untold
www.soldierstalesuntold.org <http://www.soldierstalesuntold.org/>

SOLDIERS' TALES UNTOLD

A musical-theatrical encounter of Stravinsky,
veterans’ stories and contemporary improvisation

First Thursday Concert Series at St. John's Church in JP
7:30pm Thursday May 7
St. John's Church

Revere Street & Roanoke Ave., Jamaica Plain, MA

Noon Concert Series at St. Paul's
12:00 pm Wednesday June 17
St. Paul's Cathedral
138 Tremont St
Boston, MA 02111

Created by Shaw Pong Liu (violin/director)

Featuring:  Rane Moore, clarinet,   Brad Barrett, bass,  Randy
Pingrey, trombone,
Sophie Delphis,   Adam Sanders,  Mark Bourbeau,   Joe
Moffett,   Logan Thoreau,  narrators

Nine improvising-musician-narrators weave dialogues between

past and present, fairytale and testimony, the score versus
improvised sound in a musical and theatrical deconstruction of
the classic 1918 work, “L'Histoire du Soldat”  ('The Soldier's
Tale') by Igor Stravinsky and C.F. Ramuz.

Using direct quotes and improvisations on “L’Histoire”, as well
as text from published interviews and oral histories of US and
Russian veterans from 20th century conflicts, “Soldiers’ Tales
Untold” raises questions that today’s artists and audiences

cannot afford to ignore.

Open discussion with audience follows performance.  www.
soldierstalesuntold.org <http://soldierstalesuntold.org/>