[act-ma] PROTEST racial discrimination at Harvard-MIT Data Center, Tuesday 12:30 p.m. Holyoke Center, 1350 Mass. Ave., Harvard Square

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Sun May 17 11:55:41 PDT 2009

*Dear All,

HUCTW member Ravi Raj has faced racist taunts, unfair discipline and
harassment on the job. On April 24, he had a meeting planned to make a
formal complaint of racial discrimination to administrators. A few hours
before the meeting, a stranger confronted him at work, told Ravi he'd "taken
the wrong path" and should "watch out." When Ravi asked the man's name, he
was told, "call me x," and "you'll learn my name soon." Ravi and his Rep
told management that they were making a police report about these threats. A
few days later, someone called Ravi's cell phone and asked, "How did the
police report go?"

Are these events mere coincidences, or is an effort being made to intimidate
Ravi from exposing the discrimination he's faced at work?

Join union members, students, and concerned community members in sending the
clear message that we will not accept racism and intimidation against those
who speak out! Our protest will take place Tuesday, May 19, at 12:30 p.m.,
in front of Harvard's Holyoke Center (1350 Mass. Ave, next to Au Bon Pain).
A flyer is attached with more information.

Email protests may be sent to: Harvard's Director of Labor Relations Bill
Murphy at bill_murphy at harvard.edu. Pls. cc: geoff.carens at gmail.com.
Suggested text: "I demand that all discrimination and intimidation against
Ravi Raj immediately cease. Ravi should not be subject to unfair discipline,
and deserves a supporting work environment!"

Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=88774836910#/event.php?eid=88774836910&ref=mf

Please forward this email widely!

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650
*