[act-ma] Call to Action: Peace vigil on Martha's Vineyard Satuday, August 29 9 AM-5PM Please forward widely!!

Cole Harrison rozziecole at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 07:06:45 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diane Turco <tturco at comcast.net>
Date: Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM
Subject: Call to Action: Peace vigil on Martha's Vineyard Satuday, August 29
9 AM-5PM Please forward widely!!
To: ccpj-news at lists.riseup.net
Cc: faireWIND7 at aol.com, "Ted A. Curtin" <tacurtin at 1949.usna.com>, Cole
Harrison <rozziecole at gmail.com>, bonnie gorman <bonniegorman1 at yahoo.com>,
"THEODORE A. CURTIN" <tacurtin at verizon.net>, clarkland at verizon.net,
Fayegeorge236 at aol.com, "June M. Freedman" <june.freedman at comcast.net>,
nleewood at netzero.net, Stephanie Wall <srgw at comcast.net>

 Cape Codders for Peace and Justice call on the peace community to come to
Martha's Vineyard on Saturday, August 29 to bear witness to peace and call
for and end to war.   We call on President Obama to end the wars and bring
the troops home now.

 We will gather along the beach road (Seaview Avenue) near the Oak Bluffs
ferry terminal from 9-5 PM.  CCPJ will have signs that read 'End War'.
There is no shade so bring an umbrella and sunscreen.  Restaurants are close
by for food and beverages. Come to the vigil for 8 minutes or 8 hours, but
please come for peace!!

How to get there:
Below is a link for ferry service to the Vineyard.  Some boats go directly
to Oak Bluffs.  There is good public transportation on the island so it is
easy if  you want to arrive in Vineyard Haven and take a bus to Oak
Bluffs.  The Island Queen out of Falmouth is $18 round trip and goes
directly to Oak Bluffs. The Steamship Authority out of Woods Holes is $15
round trip.  For transportation questions, contact Paul at (508)419-1154 or
Diane at (508)776-3132.  Donations are accepted to defer the cost of travel
for those that need support.  Please send to:  CCPJ, PO BOX  173,  Cotuit,
MA  02635

http://www.mvy.com/CWT/External/WCPages/WCDirectory/ByFerryDirectory.aspx?CategoryID=1181&AdKeyword=FERRIES+-+PASSENGER+1

Cindy Sheehan is planning to be on the Vineyard Tues-Sunday.  She will join
in our vigil sometime during the day.

**

**

*"Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater
toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love..." Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. 1958*

*"There comes a time when silence is betrayal…" Dr. King, 1967*
**

I remember back in the good ol' days of 2005 and 2006 when being against the
wars was not only politically correct, but it was very popular. I remember
receiving dozens of awards, uncountable accolades and was even nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize........ www.CindySheehansSoapbox.com

Press release:

MARTHA'S VINEYARD---CINDY SHEEHAN, Peace Activist, Gold Star Mother,
Organizer of 'Camp Casey' memorials and a nominee for the 2005 Nobel Peace
Prize, will be arriving on Martha's Vineyard on Tuesday August 25, to
confront President Obama on his engagement in the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan
and Pakistan. She will issue a challenge to Obama on his escalation of troop
presence in the Middle East and his continuation of war policies around the
globe.

                                       Her preliminary schedule of events is
as follows:

Wed. Aug. 26, 11am, Press Conference, Briefing Room, Oak Bluffs Elementary
School.

Wed. Aug. 26, 8pm, Peace Vigil, Ocean Park Bandstand, Oak Bluffs.

Saturday, Aug. 29, 8pm Peace Event, Katharine Cornell Theater, 54 Spring
St., Vineyard Haven.

In addition to these planned events, there will be impromptu gatherings
during the week. A memorial site  will be present on the island with an
outdoor area designated as 'Camp Casey', a living tribute to her son Casey
Sheehan, who died in the Iraq War, as well as honoring others who were war
casualties.

The Camp Casey 'Compound'  will welcome all those who wish to come to meet
Cindy. A tent will be set up for gatherings of visitors, which will be open
to the public, the press, and anyone desiring to connect with those for whom
the costs of war are a daily reality in their lives..

For information on the events, please contact Chris Fried at (508)-693-7741
and for information about Cindy, please contact Laurie Dobson at
(207)-604-8988 or email: lauriegdobson at yahoo.com.or Bruce Marshall (802)
767-6079 brmas at yahoo,com

           There are No Vacations for Body Bags!

--