[act-ma] 10/14 Petition for Ranked Choice Voting (Wed)

Matthew Andrews peopleunite at verizon.net
Tue Oct 13 08:55:38 PDT 2009

Petitioning will be Wednesday, Oct 14 from 1:00 - 4:00pm outside the
State House, General Hooker entrance.

Ranked Choice voting would allow voters to vote their hopes, not their
fears.  By allowing voters to rank their choices, it would eliminate
the possibility of two or more candidates splitting the vote and
electing another candidate with less than 50% support.  In short, this
reform would be a major step forward for democracy, political
accountability, and allowing more voices into the debate.  But to get
there we first need to collect 100,000 raw signatures by November
18th!  Once the question is on the ballot, we'll have until November
2010 to convince voters about the value of this reform.

Our tiny staff at Citizens for Voter Choice is working long hours
every day to recruit volunteers that can help us collect signatures.
With a little more than five weeks to go, your help is urgently
needed!  Please contact us so we can match you up with a team of
volunteers in your neighborhood who are collecting signatures at
shopping malls, grocery stores, and special events across
Massachusetts.  If you're shy about approaching strangers to sign, our
organizers can help you develop the confidence to be a superb
petitioner!

We'll be collecting signatures tomorrow (Wednesday) from 1:00pm to
about 4:00pm outside the State House (http://www.sec.state.ma.us/trs/trsdir/diridx.htm
). We will be at the General Hooker entrance, which is to the right of
the big steps and gate. Lots of civic minded people are walking in and
out during the day, so this is a great place to collect signatures and
practice talking about voter choice. I'll be there with extra
materials to help out.  We want to build the State House into a
regular petitioning site.

Then after dinner we will walk to our office for our evening phone
bank at Encuentro Cinco (33 Harrison Ave, 5th Floor, Chinatown) from
5:00 to 9:00pm. We can give you a list of people from your
neighborhood to call through and help you build your own team!  Check
out the upcoming events calendar on our website. www.voterchoiceMA.org
for house parties, phone banks, and many great petitioning
opportunities!

Please call me to confirm if you can come. Thanks!

~Matthew Andrews
  matt at voterchoiceMA.org
  617-633-1857 (c)

www.voterchoiceMA.org