[act-ma] Walk or Ride and Be Counted This Friday on Walk/Ride Day!

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Wed Apr 28 16:02:35 PDT 2010

Pass it on!

        a.. Sign in!

        b.. Visit our growing list of sponsors.

        c.. Spread the word to friends and colleagues by forwarding this newsletter.
     THIS FRIDAY, APRIL 30, IS
            WALK/RIDE DAY!
            Check in now or then!

                a.. Boston Area Events
                b.. From Bananas and Pickles to Ice Cream and Paddling
                c.. News from Cambridge, Somerville, and Boston

                d.. Like Healthier Streets and Better Public Transit?

                e.. One School's Walk/Ride Day Bike Raffle
                f.. This Month's Check-In Raffle Prize

           BOSTON AREA EVENTS
            APRIL 30, WALK/RIDE DAY!
            7:30-7:45 a.m.: RozzieBikes/JP Bikes Walk/Ride Day Ride Join us for all or part of your commute. Beginning bike commuters welcome! Car parking available. More info here.

            BIKE MONTH: Keep in mind that May is Bike Month (including Bike Week, Go Green Month (in Cambridge), and more, with all sorts of activities and events -- too many to mention! Click here for more info.

            For more events, please check our online calendar on our website. It is constantly being updated!

            Many of our new sponsors are now online! Visit them for freebies, discounts, and special events: Click here.

            Upcoming Walk/Ride Days
            (Add them to your calendar!) Now's the time to plan for upcoming Walk/Ride Day events at your school or workplace or in your community.)
              a.. May 28, 2010
              b.. June 25, 2010
              c.. July 30, 2010
              d.. August 27, 2010
              e.. September 24, 2010
              f.. October 29, 2010
              g.. November 26, 2010
              h.. December 31, 2010
              i.. January 28, 2011
              j.. February 25, 2011

              k.. March 25, 2011
              l.. April 29, 2011

            _____________________

            The Green Streets Initiative is a grassroots organization that encourages the use of alternative transportation to create safer, quieter, healthier streets for all.
            The Green Streets Initiative is best known for our monthly Walk/Ride Days, which take place on the last Friday of every month. On Walk/Ride Days, we invite people everywhere to go green, wear green, and celebrate!

            Our vision is to create a monthly city-wide party that celebrates alternative transportation, helps people connect with their community, and improves our well-being and that of our Earth.

            Green Streets seeks individuals in businesses, schools, and state and local government to help spread the Walk/Ride Day concept. If you are interested in becoming a coordinator or a sponsor, please contact the Green Streets Director at walk-ride-days at comcast.net.

            _____________________

            For past newsletters, click here.
            _____________________

            Green Streets welcomes:
              a.. financial donations and sponsorships. Any amount is appreciated! (Visit our donation page for special offers)
              a.. donations of goods and services for our monthly raffle. Email us!
              a.. volunteers to work on projects of all types! Details here.

              writing/editing
              web and technology

              fundraising
              grant writing

              outreach/sponsorships
              more...
                 Click here for more info or email us: walk-ride-days at comcast.net _____________________
            ©2010
            Green Streets Initiative, Inc.

           APRIL 2010 UPDATE

            Dear Green Streets friends,

            Happy Spring! It is wonderful to see the crowds of people walking and riding bikes, buses, and trains! New Walk/Ride Day coordinators and sponsors are joining us and integrating new events, challenges, and incentives. If you would like help organizing an event, please let us know, so we can add it to our website and help spread the word and inspire others.

            FROM BANANAS AND PICKLES TO ICE CREAM AND PADDLES!
            Check Walk/Ride Day sponsors' listings on our website for all these freebies and more! There are free bananas in Davis, free local pickles in Kendall, and free apples and ice cream in Central! What more could you ask for? How about canoeing, kayaking, yoga, and massage -- all free or discounted! These merchants believe in our mission and want to reward you for going green. Please stop in and let them congratulate you!

            NEWS FROM CAMBRIDGE, SOMERVILLE, AND BOSTON

            CAMBRIDGE: Green Streets had a very fruitful meeting with Cambridge Mayor David Maher (pictured here second from right, with his chief of staff Lee Gianetti, far left). Nina Katz-Christy, Sarah Fresco, and Janie Katz-Christy, all of Green Streets attended. To read more about Mayor Maher's involvement, click here. And stop by his office this Friday from 9AM to 11AM!

            SOMERVILLE: Under the leadership of Mayor Anthony Curtatone and the city's Shape Up Somerville Program, Somerville has been expanding its celebrations of Walk/Ride Day. Each month, a Somerville resident or employee will be selected for special recognition. Click here for more info on this program and on upcoming Walk/Ride Day events in Somerville.

            CONGRESS IN BOSTON: Beginning this month, staff at Senator Kerry's Boston Office will be participating in Walk/Ride Days. We look forward to hearing how it goes, and to seeing the movement spread to other legislators' offices!

            LIKE HEALTHIER AND SAFER STREETS AND BETTER PUBLIC TRANSIT? HELP SPREAD WALK/RIDE DAYS TO 12 BOSTON-AREA COMMUNITIES...
            If you've never given to Green Streets before, this is the time to do it! Your donation could be multiplied five-fold through a pending grant application. In the proposed project, Green Streets has a wonderful opportunity to spread Walk/Ride Days to many more communities in the Boston region.

            There are other reasons to contribute as well. If you donate by May 11, you will be entered into a raffle for an Urban Adventours Gift Certificate. In addition, all donors can receive a match of up to $100 in Zipcar dollars for their donation. Plus, if you or someone you lead us to donates $500 or more, we'll thank you on our website and give you an EMS Gift Card or Museum Of Science Omni Theater Tickets. Thank you in advance! Details here.

            A BIKE RAFFLE: HOW ONE SCHOOL USES WALK RIDE DAY TO KICK OFF A FUNDRAISER
            Cambridge Montessori School's Green Up Committee will be kicking off its first fundraiser -- to raise money for greening some of the school's power needs -- this Walk/Ride Day, by raffling off a bicycle from the Bicycle Exchange. The winner will be picked at a school event on the May 28 Walk/Ride Day! The school welcomes outsiders, as well, to purchase $10 tickets. Click here for more information.

            THIS MONTH'S RAFFLE CHECK-IN PRIZE
            If you participate in this week's Walk/Ride Day and check in online or sign in at one of Green Streets' visibilities for this Walk/Ride Day, you will be entered into a raffle for a Taza Chocolate "Beans to Bar" gift basket! Details here.

            A Reminder: Please check in now or on Walk/Ride Day! If you already check in regularly, thank you. If not, please do. It lets us, and those who help us, know you're out there. And don't forget to share your thoughts and ideas while you're at it!

            Thanks!

            Janie Katz-Christy, Director
            Green Streets Initiative, Inc.
            www.GoGreenStreets.org