[act-ma] “The Fruits of our Labor” Documentary Film Shorts from Afghanistan

pgreen at head.cfa.harvard.edu pgreen at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:53:55 PST 2011

**“The Fruits of our Labor” Documentary Film Shorts from Afghanistan

Screening and Discussion at Arlington Center for the Arts, February 17

*At a glance**:

*

What: /“The Fruits of our Labor”: /Documentary Film Shorts from
Afghanistan followed by a discussion with Michael Sheridan of Community
Supported Film

Who:  Community Supported Film & Arlington Center for the Arts

Where: Arlington Center for the Arts Theater, 41 Foster Street,
Arlington, MA

When: Thursday, February 17, 7:30 pm

Tickets: free at the door; donations accepted

More info: www.acarts.org <http://www.acarts.org>

*Details:*

Boston filmmaker Michael Sheridan had a vision: put video cameras into
the hands of ordinary men and women in Afghanistan, and let them tell  the
stories of their daily lives, struggles and aspirations – stories  that
would break through the relentless battlefront coverage in the  media, and
bring to life the people’s own efforts to address their  challenging
social and economic conditions and provide a fresh
perspective on the needs and issues of the ordinary people of Afghanistan.

Last fall, Sheridan conducted an intensive 5-week training of 10 Afghans
in documentary production, and will present a collection of their short
films, /The Fruits of Our Labor/, on Thursday, February 17, at 7:30pm at
the Arlington Center for the Arts Theater, 41 Foster Street, Arlington,
MA.

Each story is unique, yet each speaks to the same universal goal of
overcoming the odds and aspiring to build a better future for oneself,
one's children and one's country.  The films will be followed by a
discussion and Q&A with Michael Sheridan.

Tickets will be available at the door.  Admission is free, but donations
will be collected to support the work of Community Supported Film.

For more information, visit www.acarts.org.

Screening and Discussion at Arlington Center for the Arts, February 17