[act-ma] Today: Vijay Prashad on the Arab Spring/Libyan Winter (7/7, 7:00 p.m., e5)

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Thu Jul 7 03:24:26 PDT 2011

Yesterday's notice omitted the location of tonight's event: encuentro 5, 33
Harrison Ave, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02111 (see
http://encuentro5.org/home/directions for directions). Tonight's event will
be chaired by our board member, Kim Foltz and followed by a light wine &
cheese-style reception.

Join our friends at Boston UNAC tomorrow for an important conversation with
Vijay Prashad; also visit the encuentro 5
website<http://www.encuentro5.org>to learn about Saturday's "Pena
Rebelde with Brazilian musician Katarina
Polemi<http://www.encuentro5.org/home/node/198>and about our workshop
on the Workers
Center for Economic Justice later this month with Jeff Crosby and Carly
McClain <http://www.encuentro5.org/home/node/199> (late July, date pending
confirmation).

*Thursday, July 7th, 2011, 7:00 p.m. * As millions of people across the
Middle East and North Africa fight for freedom against tyrannical regimes,
US warplanes bomb Libya with the stated aim of protecting civilians. But
what are the real aims of our government's intervention? How do they relate
to its wars and other policies in the Middle East? And what can those of us
inspired by the democratic uprisings do to help?

Boston UNAC <http://www.bostonunac.org/home/> is hosting speaker, educator
and Counterpunch <http://counterpunch.org/> contributor Vijay
Prashad<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vijay_Prashad> to
speak to these questions. Dr. Prashad is professor and Director of
International Studies at Trinity College, the author most recently of The
Darker Nations: A People's History of the Third
World<http://www.amazon.com/Darker-Nations-Peoples-History-Third/dp/1565847857>
(winner
of the Muzaffar Ahmed Book Prize for 2009), and the forthcoming co-edited
collection Dispatches from Pakistan. He is soon to publish (in early 2012)
The Poorer Nations: A Possible History of the Global South. A $5 suggested
donation is encouraged but all are welcome.

Suren Moodliar
Coordinator, Mass. Global Action