[act-ma] 7/11 - SoJust Skillshare: Socially Responsible Investing

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 07:02:31 PDT 2011

Hey fellow organizers and activists,

Don't miss our Skillshare on Socially Responsible Investing this Monday -
and check out the other great events we've got planned for the summer:
7/24 Beach for Justice <http://www.sojust.org/events/22248831/>
*8/1 Skillshare: Budgets for Non-Financial Managers*<http://www.sojust.org/events/22253731/>
8/20 Field Day for Justice <http://www.sojust.org/events/22257671/>
9/7 Skillshare: Art of the Schmooze <http://www.sojust.org/events/22614921/>
And our huge 5th birthday party, Connecting for Justice, on Wednesday,
September 14th!
Skillshare: Socially Responsible Investing

*Uncertain how to work towards a secure financial future while living out
your values?* *Join Socializing for Justice for a Skillshare on Socially
Responsible Investing on Monday, July 11, 6:00 - 8:30 PM at The NonProfit
Center by South Station.
*

*RSVP at www.sojust.org (space is limited) - newcomers welcome!
Fee: $10-$20 cash at the door.*

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We create social spaces that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a Skillshare Series,
hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which increases our individual capacity for
movement building.

6:00-6:30 Socializing - * bring your own dinner*  (microwave and water
cooler available)
6:30-8:30 Training and Q & A

 *Socially Responsible Investing*
How do we manage our finances to best sustain ourselves and support our
vision of a more just economy? This is a chance to learn investment basics
and discuss financial management with a local progressive activist and
finance professional. No prior knowledge expected: we'll start with
fundamentals and definitions. Participants should come away with a more
intuitive sense of how to use investments, and ideas about how to research
and choose between different financial tools without checking your politics
at the door.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER *
Joby Gelbspan*   is a lifelong progressive activist who has dedicated her
career to "translating finance for activists." She holds a Master's in
Accounting and an MBA, with financial and management experience ranging from
non-profit organizations to the investment management industry. She has
served on several nonprofit Boards and as CFO and Financial Consultant for
grassroots, progressive organizations. She currently works for Corporate
Accountability International, campaigning to change the World Bank's abusive
practices.

*August Skillshare:* Budgets for Non-Financial Managers by Eva Boyce

** DIRECTIONS<http://www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/site/c.ddKGIQNuEmG/b.1363373/k.5381/About_Us__Directions.htm>- The NonProfit Center
* is located one block from South Station at 89 South Street. The Center is
accessible through the main lobby to people who have restricted physical
abilities.
*Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org*
Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this "Movement
Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and build new
visions for our movement(s).

With over 1750 members and almost 5 years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston (95+ events!), Socializing for Justice is the best place
to find the great people, organizations and community you're looking for
while putting the SOCIAL back in social justice.

*YES, WE MEAN YOU.* We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our Frequently Asked Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!