[act-ma] Support Verizon Workers on Strike!

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sun Aug 7 15:22:56 PDT 2011

See link at the end for a list for a picket location near you!

MASSACHUSETTS

As you have heard, the IBEW and CWA are on strike against Verizon,
including Verizon Wireless. The unions will picket all locations
including the wireless stores and will be calling for a boycott.

Though they approached bargaining with the intention to reach a fair
deal, Verizon had a different agenda. The company began bargaining by
proposing a series of demands that would shift the cost of healthcare,
eliminate pensions, and eliminate job security. The company has also
made it clear that they wish to transfer more work out of the bargaining
unit and most likely out of the country.  For good measure, Verizon has
proposed slashing paid sick days and removing Martin Luther King Jr. Day
and Veteran's day as paid holidays.

 As bargaining approached it's
final hours, the company refused to have any real discussions about
these vital issues. Instead, they stalled until the final minutes and
simply reiterated their intention to achieve more profits on the backs
of the workers.

 The solidarity that has been on display in recent
weeks is truly humbling to the men and women who are in this struggle.
Now these folks are on strike and need to ask for your continued
support. Verizon is now ground-zero for the war on workers. We intend to
fight with great vigor and a righteous anger against the greed that is
crushing our middle class.  We will win, and we will stop this war on
workers right here at Verizon. It's our time and we will Stand Up! We
will Rise Up! And we will most certainly Act UP! We ask you to join with
us!

Jobs with Justice will be helping at FIOS sites, Wireless Sites and
their Headquarters.  If you can, please stop by 185 Franklin Street in
Boston today.  If you can join a picket line click here to get a list of
locations.
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qB8k61VfZ0Gyt%2F3hrYNJqa4cuKexDGfL>

Click here to unsubscribe
<http://afl.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cwzYJKP%2B%2BB3Xoh21LpWAYa4cuKexDGfL>.