[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Sep 11 17:28:09 PDT 2011

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most
Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston
area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to Energy (and Other) Events
email gmoke at world.std.com

Greening the Empire State Building  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/09/10/1015400/-Greening-the-Empire-State-Building

Editorial Comment:  This may be getting a little unwieldy.  The number
of events may be getting out of control.  In any case, let me know how
this firehose start to the new academic year is working out.

Broadband Wireless Communications at Very High Speeds: Challenges and
Opportunities

Pingzhi Fan , Director Institute of Mobile Communications, Southwest
Jiatong University
When:  Sep 12, 2011 | 9:00 am - 10:00 am
Where:  Maxwell Dworkin Building, DG135, 33 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA
In the blink of an eye, you may miss the 350 km/h high-speed train as
it thunders by, not mentioning the 574 km/h French TGV track train
(April 2007) or the 581 km/h Japanese JR-Maglev train (December 2003).
Recently, there have been growing interests to deliver true broadband
wireless internet services to high-speed train passengers. To provide
the broadband wireless services in such a high mobility environment, a
number of technical challenges should be tackled, such as the severe
Doppler shift problem, fast fading channel characteristics, fast power
control and fast handover issues. The focus of this talk is on the
anti-Doppler problem techniques, mobility management and network
architecture.
Speaker Biography:  Pingzhi Fan, PhD(U.K.), Fellow of IET(IEE), CIE
and CIC. He is currently a professor and director of the institute of
mobile communications, Southwest Jiaotong University, PRC, and a guest
professor of Leeds University, UK (1997-), a guest professor Shanghai
Jiaotong University (1999-). He was a recipient of the UK ORS Award
(1992), and the NSFC Outstanding Young Scientist Award (1998). He is
the founding chair of IEEE Chengdu Section, the chair of IEEE BS VTS
Chapter, the board member IET/IEE Asia Pacific Region, and served as
the IEEE Region 10 EXCOM member and MD Chair in 2007/08. He served as
the general chair or TPC chair of a number of international
conferences, such as IWSDA’11, ICCT’11, CMC’10, WiCOM’10, IWSDA’09,
ITW’06, SETA’06, ITST’06, VTC'05-Fall (TT), PDCAT'04 and IWSDA’01 etc.
He also serves as the guest editor-in-chief of the IEICE Trans on
Fundamentals, and guest editor or editorial member of several other
international journals. He is the author of over 150 international
English journal papers and Chinese journals, and eight books. He is an
inventor of 25 patents. His research interests include broadband
wireless communications, information theory & coding, etc. (http://sist.swjtu.edu.cn/imc/pzfan/
)
Host:  Vahid Tarokh
Contact:  Kathleen LaFrance
kath at seas.harvard.edu

--------------------------------
Fall 2011 Brown Bag Series:  Housing in the Commonwealth & Greater
Boston

Monday, September 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM
The State of the Nation's Housing 2011
with Eric S. Belsky, Managing Director; Chris Herbert, Research
Director; and Daniel McCue, Research Manager, Joint Center for Housing
Studies
Harvard Graduate School of Design
48 Quincy Street, Gund Hall, Portico 123, Cambridge, MA

All events are free and open to the public.

For more information, contact Angela Flynn atangela_flynn at harvard.edu
or (617) 495-7908.

---------------------------

September 12 | Monday | ETIP/Consortium Energy Policy Seminar Series
Benchmarking and the Regulation of Electricity Distribution Companies
12-1:30| Bell Hall, 5th Floor, Belfer Building, Harvard, 79 JFK
Street, Cambridge, MA

Massimo Filipini
University of Lugano
www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/events.htm

------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
Science Impact Collaborative Luncheon
Speaker: Tijs van Maasakkers, PHD Candidate, DUSP and Assistant
Director, Science Impact Collaborative
Time: 12:00p–2:00p
Location: MIT Building 9-554, 77 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA
Science Impact Collaborative Luncheon

The Art and Science of Creating an Ecosystem Services Market

Ecosystem services are the fundamental benefits we derive from the
functioning of the environment. Efforts to create and restore
ecosystem services may be facilitated by the creation of new "markets"
at the watershed scale. In this presentation, the first case studies
of efforts to create an ecosystem services market in the Willamette
River Basin, in Oregon will be reviewed.

Web site: http://web.mit.edu/dusp/epp/music/
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free
Sponsor(s): DUSP, EPP
For more information, contact:
Nina Tamburello
617.253.1509
ninat at mit.edu

-------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
Price Volatility and Stability in Electric Markets
Speaker: Ralph Masiello, Innovation Director and Senior Vice
President, KEMA; Jessica Harrison, Principal Consultant, KEMA
Time: 1:00p–2:00p
Location: MIT Building 56-154, 25 Ames Street, Cambridge, MA
KEMA has recently developed analyses and simulations of the
interaction of new classes of load behavior in energy markets. The
analyses include the day ahead, hour ahead, and intra-hour / real time
markets and their interactions. The new classes of load behavior
include ?Dispatchable Demand Response? (under the real time scheduling
and control of the market); autonomous Dynamic Price response (load
reacting to market prices), and Self Optimizing Customers (with
embedded generation/storage who can adjust their hourly load to
published day ahead prices). The technical performance of different
categories of generation as well as different end use loads
(refrigeration, HVAC, water heating, lighting, etc) are considered.

The work exposes price volatility and instability in the different
market time periods based on the penetrations of the different load
classes. It also explores how market operations can be stabilized if
the load elasticity is understood and considered in the market
clearing process. The alignment of load dynamic performance (response
time, duration of response, etc) with market periodicities is also
explored. Some explanation of observed market dynamic behavior can be
related to recent MIT work as well as economic theory (the Cobweb
theorem) or to simplified feedback systems models and stability
criteria.

Web site: web.mit.edu/mitei
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free
Sponsor(s): MIT Energy Initiative
For more information, contact:
Jameson Twomey
617-324-2408
jtwomey at mit.edu

--------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
Starr Forum: Palestinian Statehood and the UN
Speaker: Dr. Husam Zomlot
Time: 3:00p–4:30p
Location: MIT E40-496, Lucian Pye Conference Room, 1 Amherst Street,
Cambridge MA
A talk and Q&A with Dr. Husam Zomlot

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Dr. Husam Zomlot, a senior adviser to Palestinian foreign minister
Nabil Shaath, served as PLO representative to the UK from 2003 to
2008, among other high-level posts. He was a fellow at Harvard's
Belfer Center and is author of "State Formation in Palestine."

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): Center for International Studies, the Middle East Forum at
Harvard's Center for Middle Eastern Studies

For more information, contact:
starrforum at mit.edu

--------------------------------

Connectomics
Hanspeter Pfister , Gordon McKay Professor of the Practice in the
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard University
When:  Sep 12, 2011 | 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Where: Maxwell Dworkin Building, DG115, 33 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA
Our modern ability to acquire and generate huge amounts of data can
potentially enable rapid progress in science and engineering, but we
may not live up that promise if our ability to create data outstrips
our ability to make sense of that data. In this talk I will present
some of my work in visualization and computer graphics -- or visual
computing -- that addresses this challenge. In visualization we use
graphical techniques to gain insights into the data, whereas in
computer graphics we acquire data to enhance the fidelity of our
models. After a brief overview of some of my previous work in graphics
and visualization, I will focus on our work on visual computing in
Connectomics, a new field in neuroscience that aims to apply biology
and computer science to the grand challenge of determining the
detailed neural circuitry of the brain. I will give an overview of the
computational challenges and describe interactive visualization
approaches that we developed to discover and analyze the brain's
neural network. The key to our methods is to keep the user in the
loop, either for providing input to our downstream reconstruction
methods, or for validation and corrections of the reconstructed neural
structures. The main challenges we face are how to visualize petabytes
of image data in an efficient and scalable way, how to automatically
reconstruct very large and dense neural circuits from the nanoscale-
resolution electron micrographs, and how to analyze the brain's neural
network once we have discovered it.
Speaker Biography:  Hanspeter Pfister is Gordon McKay Professor of the
Practice in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard
University. His research in visual computing lies at the intersection
of visualization, computer graphics, and computer vision. It spans a
wide range of topics, including bio-medical visualization, 3D
reconstruction, GPU computing, and data-driven methods in computer
graphics. Before joining Harvard he worked for over a decade at
Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories where he was most recently
Associate Director and Senior Research Scientist. Dr. Pfister has a
Ph.D. in Computer Science from the State University of New York at
Stony Brook and an M.S. in Electrical Engineering from ETH Zurich,
Switzerland. He is the recipient of the 2010 IEEE Visualization
Technical Achievement award. He has authored over 40 US patents and
over 70 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, including 18 ACM
SIGGRAPH papers, the premier forum in Computer Graphics. He is co-
editor of the first textbook on Point-Based Computer Graphics,
published by Elsevier in 2007. You can contact him at pfister at seas.harvard.edu
.
Contact:  Gioia Sweetland
gioia at seas.harvard.edu 617-495-2919

------------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
MIT Energy Club Information Session
Time: 4:00p–5:00p
Location: MIT, Building 1-190, 77 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA
Passionate about energy? Come learn about MIT's largest and most
active student club with over 3000 members and more than 100 events a
year. We will cover all the ways the MIT student energy community is
working to tackle the energy challenge and how you can get involved.
Representatives from the Energy Night, Energy Conference, Clean Energy
Prize, and Energy Finance Forum will also be available. Pizza will be
served!

Web site: www.mitenergyclub.org
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): MIT Energy Club

For more information, contact:
MIT Energy Club
energyclub at mit.edu

-------------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell Electrode Microstructures: Making Sense of the
Internal Framework Affecting Gas Transport
Speaker: Dr. Jeff Hanna, MIT
Time: 4:15p–5:15p
Location: MIT Building 1-242, 77 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA
Center for Energy and Propulsion Research Seminar Series

Optimal electrodes for solid-oxide fuel cells will combine high
porosity for gas diffusion, high phase connectivity for ion and
electron conduction, and high surface area for chemical and
electrochemical reactions. Tracer-diffusion simulations are used to
gain a better understanding of the interplay between microstructure
and transport in porous materials. Results indicate that the
coefficient of diffusion through a porous medium is a function of the
details of the internal geometry (microscopic) and porosity
(macroscopic). I report that current solid-oxide fuel cell electrodes
produced from high-temperature sintering of ceramic powders severely
hinder gas transport because the resulting structures are highly
tortuous, complex three-dimensional networks. In addition, poor phase
connectivities will assuredly limit ion and electron transport, as
well as the density of active sites for power-producing reactions.
With new access to a wide range of technologies, micro- and nano-
fabrication capabilities, and high-performance materials, there is a
new ability to engineer the fuel cell electrode architecture,
optimizing the physical processes within, increasing performance, and
greatly reducing cost per kilowatt. Even simple packed-sphere and
inverse-opal architectures will increase gas diffusion by an order of
magnitude, and provide a higher level of connectivity than traditional
powder-based structures.

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): RGD Lab

For more information, contact:
Patrick Kirchen

----------------------------------

Monday, September 12, 2011
from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM (ET)
Speaking Mathematically: Exploring How Students Align Mathematical
Language with Narrative Description
Michelle Wilkerson-Jerde, Assistant Professor, Dept of Education,
Tufts University
200 College Ave, Tufts, Nelson Auditorium, Medford, MA 02155

Tufts STEM Education Lecture Series
Open to the public.  All are welcome.

Abstract:Mathematical and quantitative models are a powerful way to
make sense of and navigate our world. But often, the ways we describe
such models can seem unrelated to the events they represent. This is
especially true when mathematical models are used to describe complex
systems comprised of multiple, interacting entities. For example, we
describe a population as "exponentially growing" even as we assume
individuals' chance of reproduction remains constant over time; or as
"stable" even as members are born and die.

In this presentation, I will describe DeltaTick: a set of simulation
construction tools designed to help students explore the connections
between the behavior of elements in a system, and the mathematical
trends those behaviors produce. DeltaTick provides a new way for
students to model patterns of change that emerge from multiple,
interactive causes. I will then present my ongoing analysis of "The
Real World Critics": three high school PreCalculus students who, over
the course of a 40-minute session with DeltaTick, work to align their
everyday understandings of population dynamics with the languages of
rate and accumulation, probability, biology, and their peers. This
alignment enables the group to explore what mathematical predictions
they are able to make, how to test those predictions, and what kinds
of phenomena can be appropriately represented using a given model.

Bio: Michelle Wilkerson-Jerde received her PhD from the Learning
Science Program at Northwestern University. Wilkerson-Jerde's thesis
was studying and building tools to support how high schoolers make
sense of quantitative trends that reflect complex systems - systems
where many interacting events and entities contribute to the same
pattern. Understanding change over time in these systems can prepare
students as active and informed citizens, provide them with new access
point to formal mathematical topics such as calculus and differential/
difference equations, and provide them a better foundation for
entering the natural and social sciences. Some of Wilkerson-Jerde's
work earned Best Student Paper from the American Educational Research
Association's Special Interest Groups in Learning Sciences and
Advanced Technologies for Learning. Currently Wilkerson-Jerde is an
Assistant Professor in the Deptartment of Education at Tufts University.
For more Lecture Series, please go to http://ceeo.tufts.edu/News-and-Events-Seminars/seminars.html

---------------------------------

“Politics and the Divisions of Knowledge”
WHEN Mon., Sep. 12, 2011, 5 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Robinson Hall, Basement Conference Room
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR Charles Warren Center
SPEAKER(S)
David Engerman (Brandeis)
David Kaiser (M.I.T.)
Louis Menand (Harvard)
CONTACT INFO  lkennedy at fas.harvard.edu
LINK  http://warrencenter.fas.harvard.edu/PanelFlyer.pdf

-------------------------------

News and Entertainment in the Digital Age: A Vast Wasteland Revisited
WHEN  Mon., Sep. 12, 2011, 5 – 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Law School, venue to be announced
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Education, Humanities, Information Technology,
Law, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Berkman Center for Internet & Society and Dean's
Office at HLS
SPEAKER(S)
Featuring Newt Minow (former chairman of the FCC / Sidley Austin),
Dean Martha Minow (Harvard Law School), Ann Marie Lipinski (Nieman
Foundation), Jonathan Alter (Bloomberg View), Terry Fisher (Harvard
Law School), Yochai Benkler (Harvard Law School), John Palfrey
(Harvard Law School), Jonathan Zittrain (Harvard Law School), and many
others

Special guests include Susan Crawford (Cardozo School of Law), Perry
Hewitt (Harvard University), Ellen Goodman (Rutgers University School
of Law - Camden), Reed Hundt (former chairman of the FCC), Kevin
Martin (former chairman of the FCC / Patton Boggs), Nicholas
Negroponte (One Laptop per Child), Tim Wu (Columbia Law School), Ethan
Zuckerman (C4/Berkman Center), and others
COST   Free, RSVP required
CONTACT INFO  ashar at cyber.law.harvard.edu
NOTE  How do new networked communications technologies nourish or
otherwise alter the wasteland? This event will facilitate a
conversation that focuses on the relationship between market
regulation and the public sphere, and what that means for media,
political processes, democracy and civic discourse in the United
States. Drawing on the participation of Newt Minow and other special
guests along with faculty and fellows from the Berkman Center and
Harvard, the event will explore the future of journalism and the role
of the state in the construction of the public sphere.
RSVP Required as space is limited: cyber.law.harvard.edu…
LINK  http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/2011/09/vastwasteland

---------------------------------

Sous-vide Cooking: The Future of Healthy Cooking?
WHEN  Mon., Sep. 12, 2011, 7 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard Science Center C, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Science, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
SPEAKER(S)
Joan Roca (El Celler de Can Roca)
COST  Free. All our welcome to attend.
LINK  https://www.seas.harvard.edu/cooking

--------------------------------

9/12/2011
Discussion/Signing - Nassir Ghaemi
"A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and
Mental Illness"
An investigation into the surprisingly deep correlation between mental
illness and successful leadership, as seen through some of history's
greatest politicians, generals, and business people.
Time: 07:00 PM-08:00 PM
The Harvard Coop Bookstore, 1400 Massachusetts Avenue and 18 Palmer
Street, Cambridge,  MA 02238
Location: Level 3

Contact  (617)499-2000
http://harvardcoopbooks.bncollege.com/

-----------------------

Tuesday, September 13
11 am
MA State House steps, Boston, MA

Former U.S. Senator and potential 2012 presidential candidate Mike
Gravel is reportedly preparing a major announcement about the
September 11th attacks. He will be joined by the Honorable US
Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Both of them are strong critics of the
official 9/11 narrative and the Bush and Obama administrations.

--------------------------------

Tuesday, September 13, 12 p.m.
"Covering the White House in a Bare-knuckled Media Culture."
Jessica Yellin, chief White House correspondent for CNN.
Nye AB, Taubman Building, 5th Floor, Shorenstein Center, Harvard
Kennedy School, 5 Eliot Street, Cambridge

SPEAKER(S)  Robert Feldman, director of Economic Research Department
and managing director, Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities Co., Ltd.
Michael Reich
Taro Takemi Professor of International Health Policy, and Director,
Takemi
Program in International Health, Harvard School of Public Health
Theodore C. Bestor
Reischauer Institute Professor of Social Anthropology and Japanese
Studies,
and Chair, Department of Anthropology, Harvard University
COST Free
CONTACT INFO  xtian at wcfia.harvard.edu
LINK  www.wcfia.harvard.edu…
--------------------------------

Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Environmental Policy and Planning Welcome Lunch
Time: 12:30p–1:30p
Location: MIT Building 7-338, 77 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA
EPP Luncheon Series

Please join us on Tuesday, September 13th for an EPP welcome lunch!
Catch up with EPP students and faculty, learn what we'll be working on
this year and enjoy some delicious food (which will be available until
we run out).

Open to: the general public

Cost: Free

Sponsor(s): EPP, DUSP

ninat at mit.edu

-------------------------

Indigenous technology design and its challenges
Christopher Hoadley, Educational Communications and Technology program
at New York University
Tuesday, September 13, 12:30 pm
Berkman Center, 23 Everett Street, second floor
RSVP required for those attending in person to Amar Ashar (ashar at cyber.law.harvard.edu
)
This event will be webcast (http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/webcast
) live at 12:30 pm ET and archived on our site shortly after.

While many well meaning efforts bring technology design to bear on
problems in developing economies, such as Google People Finder, One
Laptop Per Child, etc., fewer efforts involve local participants or
settings in the design process. I share some of our work on
collaboration with youth, NGOs, and technologists in India, Nepal, and
Bhutan, and highlight some of the challenges in trying to create
indigenous design capacity in places like these. I explore an
ecological metaphor of 'invasive and non-invasive species' for
different types of technology in new settings, with an eye towards
discussing what makes a technology 'invasive' and how healthy
technological ecosystems might be developed.

About Christopher
Dr. Chris Hoadley is an associate professor and director of the
Educational Communications and Technology program at New York
University. He designs, builds, and studies ways for computers to
enhance collaboration and learning. Hoadley has degrees in cognitive
science, computer science, and education from MIT and the University
of California at Berkeley, and currently his research focuses on
collaborative technologies and computer support for cooperative
learning (CSCL). Other interests include research on and through
design, systems for supporting social capital and distributed
intelligence (especially for educational reform), the role of
informatics and digital libraries in education, the psychology of
computer programming, sustainability education, and science and
engineering education.

Hoadley is the director of dolcelab, the Laboratory for Design Of
Learning, Collaboration & Experience. He is an affiliate scholar for
the National Academy of Engineering's Center for the Advancement of
Scholarship in Engineering Education (CASEE). Hoadley previously
chaired the American Educational Research Association's Special
Interest Group for Education in Science and Technology (now SIG:
Learning Sciences), and served as the first President of the
International Society for the Learning Sciences. For the 2008-2009
school year, he was a Fulbright Scholar in South Asia studying
educational technology in rural Himalayan villages.

---------------------------------

September Growing GIBN Conversation
Employee Engagement in Sustainability Efforts

Date: September 13, 2011
Time: 2pm ET
Call-in information: (760) 569-9000, Code: 160031#
Please join us by sending your RSVP to info at digin.org

We will be joined by Asheen Phansey of Dassault Systemes SolidWorks
Corp. who will share thoughts and recent research on employee
engagement for sustainability, and Randi Braunwalder of HP who will
provide case studies of HP's work on employee engagement. We look
forward to your participation.

-------------------------------------

September 13
4:00–6:00 pm
MIT Building E19-623, 400 Main Street, Cambridge, MA
How the Hippies Saved Physics

David Kaiser, Professor of the History of Science, Department Head,
Program in Science, Technology and Society, and Senior Lecturer,
Department of Physics,

Knight Science Journalism Fellowships

With the exception of those marked "Fellows Only," our seminars are
open to guests.

--------------------------------------

Syria: Implications for the Fall of the Regime and Beyond

WHEN  Tue., Sep. 13, 2011, 4:30 – 6 p.m.
WHERE  Bell Hall, 5th Floor, Belfer Building, Harvard Kennedy School,
79 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Middle East Initiative, Belfer Center
SPEAKER(S)  Najib Saliba, professor of history, Worcester State College
LINK  http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/events/5558/syria.html

---------------------------

Tuesday, September 13, 2011
MIT Energy Club Opening Social
Time: 5:00p–7:00p
Location: MIT Building E14-648, 20 Ames Street, Cambridge, MA
Come kick off the semester right at the MIT Energy Club Opening Social
and get to know all the outstanding people that are making a
difference in meeting the energy needs of tomorrow today. Hosted on
the 6th floor of the Media Lab with refreshment, drinks (cash bar) and
a gorgeous view of the Charles River, this is one event you do not
want to miss.

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): MIT Energy Club

energyclub at mit.edu

---------------------------

Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Throw it Against the IDEAS Wall @ MIT
Time: 5:00p–8:00p
Location: MIT Building 32, Stata Student Street, 32 Vassar Street,
Cambridge, MA

t=0 / a festival of entrepreneurship at MIT

WHAT IS IT?

Lots of people taking over MIT?s Stata Sreet to throw ideas against
the wall for a big brainstorming, meet and greet and explore session.
The goal: help ignite ideas that can be carried forward as
entrepreneurial pursuits, social impact projects, and much more. We
believe that innovation often starts with knowing the right
question(s). Many areas (health, education, sanitation, appropriate
technologies, and much more) will be represented.

To be thrown against the IDEAS wall: The problems worth solving. The
ideas worth spreading and the futures worth building.

Come join. Come explore. Bring your questions. Bring your inventions,
creations and tinkerings. Bring your creativity.

This is one of the kick-off events for t=0, a festival of
entrepreneurship being held at MIT.

Web site: http://globalchallenge.mit.edu/events/view/170
Open to: the general public
Cost: 0
Tickets: globalchallenge at mit.edu
Sponsor(s): MIT IDEAS Competition, Public Service Center

For more information, contact:
Kate Mytty
5-5474
globalchallenge at mit.edu

-------------------------------

September 11: Memory, Vision, Practice
WHEN  Tue., Sep. 13, 2011, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
WHERE  Piper Auditorium, Gund Hall, 48 Quincy St, Cambridge, MA
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Art/Design, Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Harvard Graduate School of Design
SPEAKER(S)
Krzysztof Wodiczko, Harvard GSD
Erika Naginski, Harvard GSD
Mark Jarzombek, MIT
Kirk Savage, University of Pittsburgh
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO  events at gsd.harvard.edu
NOTE  The context of the recent September 11 commemoration, during the
opening of the WTC Memorial as well as memorials in other U.S. cities,
asks for analytical and critical reflection, and design imagination
regarding the past, the present and the future of memorials.
Present day discussion on “temporary memorials,” “counter-monuments,
or “fleeting monuments” demands renewed historical, theoretical,
design and artistic discussion on the aim, function, form,
commemorative programs, methodology and technology of a memorial.
LINK  http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/events/september-11-memory-vision-
practice.html

---------------------------

Dorkbot Boston - September Edition
9/13, 7:30 p.m. @ Sprout

Open Source Research

Our special guest speaker will be Avery, an active participant in the
global network called DIYBio, which brings encourages empowers
citizens to do their own biological research.  Avery will talk about
open source research and DIY bio's mission.
Directions to Sprout: (http://thesprouts.org/studios)

339R Summer St. / Somerville, MA / 02144 — "we're in the back, down
the driveway to the left of the red apartment building"

------------------------------

September 14 and 15
Current TV 24 Hours of Green Programming

WHAT IS 24 HOURS OF REALITY?
24 Presenters. 24 Time Zones. 13 Languages. 1 Message. 24 Hours of
Reality is a worldwide event to broadcast the reality of the climate
crisis. It will consist of a new multimedia presentation created by Al
Gore and delivered once per hour for 24 hours, in every time zone
around the globe. Each hour people living with the reality of climate
change will connect the dots between recent extreme weather events —
including floods, droughts and storms — and the manmade pollution that
is changing our climate. We will offer a round-the-clock, round-the-
globe snapshot of the climate crisis in real time. The deniers may
have millions of dollars to spend, but we have a powerful advantage.
We have reality.

http://climaterealityproject.org/

CitySprouts
September 14, 11-1, with *BYO picnic* lunch
Morse School, 40 Granite Street, Cambridge, MA

CitySprouts introduces school gardens as a core element of children's
public school education.  Learn more about this successful model, tour
the outdoor classroom garden, and find out about the innovative
teacher support plan they have designed to ensure an effective and
enjoyable experience for teachers and students (for example take a
peek at City Sprouts' Essential Plant and Design List on the network
webpage).  Jane S. Hirschi, Founder and Executive Director will be on
site to facilitate the tour and answer any questions about this
remarkable program.

Based in Cambridge, MA, CitySprouts school gardens ensure that hands-
on learning, environmental stewardship, and the experience of growing
and eating food becomes part of the public education all children
receive.

Please RSVP to Becky or Margaret at Appleton Farms: afeducator at ttor.org

--------------------------------

Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Defense Strategy in a Time of Budget Austerity
Speaker: Kathleen Hicks, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for
Strategy, Plans and Forces, U.S. Dept. of Defense
Time: 12:00p–1:30p
Location: MIT E40-496
SSP Wednesday Seminar

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): Security Studies Program

For more information, contact:
617-253-7529
valeriet at mit.edu

----------------------------------

Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Energy 101 : Biofuels
Speaker: Mark Wright
Time: 12:30p–1:30p
Location: MIT 3-133
Energy 101 Series
Presenting the basics of various energy-related topics.

Energy 101 lectures on biofuels. FREE FOOD.

Web site: http://www.mitenergyclub.org/events-and-programs/energy-101
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): MIT Energy Club

aziz_a at mit.edu

---------------------------------

Discovering Knowledge from Massive Data and Social Networks,
ECE Distinguished Lecture Series with Professor Alok N. Choudhary
4:00 pm on
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Location:Photonics Center, 8 Saint Mary’s St., Room 211
URL:http://www.bu.edu/ece/files/2011/08/dl.choudhary.09.14.11.pdf
Refreshments will be served outside Room 339 at 3:45 p.m.

Abstract: Knowledge discovery in science and engineering has been
driven by theory, experiments and more recently by large-scale
simulations using high-performance computers (HPC). Modern experiments
and simulations involving satellites, telescopes, high-throughput
instruments, imaging devices, sensor networks, accelerators, and
supercomputers yield massive amounts of data. At the same time, the
world, including social communities, is creating massive amounts of
data at an astonishing pace. Just consider Facebook, Google, articles,
papers, images, videos and others. But, even more complex is the
network that connects the creators of data. There is knowledge to be
discovered in both. This represents a significant and interesting
challenge for HPC and opens opportunities for accelerating knowledge
discovery.

In this talk, followed by an introduction to high-end data mining and
the basic knowledge discovery paradigm, Professor Choudhary will
present the process, challenges and potential for this approach. He
will present many case examples, results and future directions
including (1) mining sentiments from massive datasets on the web; (2)
real-time stream mining of text from millions of tweets to identify
influencers and sentiments of people; (3) discovering knowledge from
massive social networks containing millions of nodes and hundreds of
billions of edges from Facebook, Twitter and other social network
sites (e.g., can anyone follow presidential campaigns in real-time?);
and (4) discovering knowledge from massive datasets from science
applications including climate, medicine, biology and sensors. The
talk will be illustrative and example-driven and may include one or
two live demonstrations.

About the Speaker: Alok Choudhary is a John G. Searle Professor of
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Northwestern
University. He is the founding director of the Center for Ultra-scale
Computing and Information Security (CUCIS). Professor Choudhary was a
co-founder and VP of Technology at Accelchip Inc. in 2000, a company
that was eventually acquired by Xilinx. He received the National
Science Foundation's Young Investigator Award in 1993. He has also
received an IEEE Engineering Foundation award, an IBM Faculty
Development award, and an Intel Research Council award.

--------------------------------

September 14 | Wednesday|
Seminar in Environmental Economics and Policy
Intermittency and the Value of Renewable Energy
4:10-5:30| Littauer 382, Harvard Kennedy School, 79 John F. Kennedy
Street, Cambridge

Gautam Gowrisankaran
University of Arizona
www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/events.htm

------------------------------

"Sustainable Transportation Infrastructure: Creating Value by Design"
WHEN  Wed., Sep. 14, 2011, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
WHERE  Piper Auditorium, Gund Hall, 48 Quincy St, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Art/Design, Business, Conferences, Lecture,
Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Zofnass Program for Sustainable Infrastructure
at Harvard GSD www.gsd.harvard.edu…
SPEAKER(S)  Peter J. Park, former planning director of Milwaukee and
Denver
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO  Infrastructure at gsd.harvard.edu
NOTE  The looming cost of maintaining and building transportation
systems in the U.S. is staggering, while overcoming decades of
automobile-dominated sprawl has become a national imperative. Peter
Park will discuss approaches to infrastructure that are reshaping
cities in ways that enhance linkages between transportation and land
use, demonstrate new possibilities for urban regeneration, and create
places of lasting value.
LINK  http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/events/peter-park-sustainable-
transportation-infrastructure-creating.html

Editorial Comment:  This event is part of A Roadmap to Sustainable
Infrastructures & Green Cities Conference from September 14-16, 2011,
at Harvard Graduate School of Design.  Cost:  $50 student, $100
academic or non-profit, $250 professional.  Looks like it could be
worth it.

---------------------------

Revolutionary Changes for Revolutionary Needs
WHEN  Thu., Sep. 15, 2011, 1:15 – 2:15 p.m.
WHERE  Bell Hall, 5th Floor Belfer Building, Harvard Kennedy School,
79 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Business, Humanities, Lecture, Social
Sciences, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business & Government
SPEAKER(S)  Paul O'Neill, former U.S. Treasury secretary
CONTACT INFO  Please RSVP to MRCBG at ksg.harvard.edu
NOTE  Lunch will be served.
LINK  http://www.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/events.htm

-----------------------------

Thursday, September 15, 2011
CTL Distinguished Speaker Series
“Performance-Driven or Bust: The Future of Federal Transportation
Policy”
Joshua Shank, ENO Transportation Foundation President and CEO, will be
discussing future prospects for federal transportation policy.
Time: 12:30pm
Location:  MIT Building W20-407, 84 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA
---------------------------

Brazil Studies Program Seminar - Experiences in Innovative Community
Journalism in Brazil
WHEN  Thu., Sep. 15, 2011, 12 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  CGIS South, S-050, 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Business, Education, Humanities, Lecture,
Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  The David Rockefeller Center for Latin American
Studies
SPEAKER(S)  Gilberto Dimenstein, journalist, Folha de São Paulo,
founder, Catraca Livre and Cidade Escola
CONTACT INFO  brazil at fas.harvard.edu
NOTE  A Brazilian lunch will be served.
LINK  http://www.drclas.harvard.edu/brazil/events/dimenstein-2011-09

Computational Sustainability Seminar: Infrared Street Scanning
Speaker: Sanjay Sarma, MIT Mechancial Engineering