[act-ma] Sign up before OCT 5th: Educate, Mobilize, and Organize! ~SOAW

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Sep 28 18:17:38 PDT 2011

  "/While we continue to educate ourselves, it is just as important to
be constantly reaching out to people who are not involved in SOA Watch
or even activism in general/"Â  YES!!!!!

SOA Watch News & Updates
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=I14YtPwjSj5LQt188fzo7ZPnC8%2FzSrDk>

/November 18-20: Converge on Fort Benning, Georgia/
Educate, Mobilize, and Organize
To Shut Down the SOA!

All across the US people are mobilizing their communities to travel to
Georgia for the *annual vigil
<http://www.soaw.org/take-action/november-vigil>* at the gates of Fort
Benning, where the School of Americas/WHINSEC is located. We gather in
commemoration and honoring the victims of graduates from the SOA has a
significant role in helping to grow active resistance to militarization
throughout the Americas. This resistance is instrumental to us all,
particularly to communities within North America that are being targeted
by repressive tactics that are surprisingly similar to those experienced
by our brothers and sisters throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Policies such as military check points throughout Honduras,
militarization of our borders, identification checkpoints in the US that
target undocumented immigrants, and other repressive tactics, all stem
from the doctrine of instilling fear and instability throughout
communities to benefit certain corporate and governmental interests.

    /"Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative
    alternatives for responding to conflict - alternatives to passive or
    aggressive responses, alternatives to violence."/

- Dorothy Thompson

It is extremely important to understand the links between militarization
as a tool to push U.S. economic and political interests abroad, and the
attacks on the poor and communities of color in North America. The US
government continues to push an economic agenda that takes money from
legitimate programs supporting the people and allocates it towards the
militarization of the world, demonstrating that we all have a stake in
the struggle for justice. It is our responsibility to find a path
towards peace and justice, and to shift the consciousness of this
country. Joining the thousands that gather in Columbus Georgia to
participate in the 2011 November Vigil is an important step in that
struggle.

The weekend will be comprised of many different opportunities to both
resist militarization but also build the types of communities we want to
see.... You can:

  * take action at the Stewart Detention Center Rally V
    <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IDL%2F%2FX0qldS7kP4ziozkCJPnC8%2FzSrDk>

  * attend the massive rally with speakers and musicians at the gates of
    Fort Benning, Georgia

  * educate and learn from people directly affected by militarization
    and unjust economic policies

  * participate in nonviolent direct action
    <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=p5woVrlRkSwIDft6S4HtCJPnC8%2FzSrDk>

  * strategize and connect across race, class, religion, gender, sexual
    orientation, and issue lines

  * build and strengthen your commitment to justice by flyering and
    doing outreach around Columbus

**One week to go to submit ad and workshop forms due October 5^th !!
Tabling requests due October 20^th
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KUoT28Oq3NcXb%2BiIwcaa35PnC8%2FzSrDk>**

      Mobilize!

We are inspired by the examples of resilience and strength of the people
standing up against military repression in Honduras, neoliberal economic
domination in Chile and the militarization of humanitarian aid in Haiti.
Here in the US, people are also using their passion and commitment to
closing the SOA and changing US foreign policy in many ways to help
bring people to Georgia in November.

People are holding fundraisers, video showings, benefit concerts,
speaking tours, and various other events. For example, /Veterans for
Peace Twin Cities, Minnesota/ is using the documentary they produced
about their journey to the 2010 Vigil as a fundraiser and to promote
youth participation. All money raised from the film will go towards a
scholarship fund to help those with limited resources to travel to Fort
Benning. Jorge Alva-Huerto of the National Movimiento Estudiantil
Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA) produced a short video
<http://vimeo.com/29060048> to raise awareness of how communities of
color are being disproportionately targeted by the School of the
Americas and why the presence of these communities at the November Vigil
is essential towards building our movement. SOA Watch South Florida is
holding a protest at the headquarters of Southern Command
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kycj0xwwzdIqn2vTjy6ivZPnC8%2FzSrDk>
on October 8-9 to protest US military intervention in the hemisphere.

There are also other ways to mobilize your communities through the use
of technology to your advantage.

  * Use this video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJv0LZbOkw0&NR=1>
    from the 2010 Vigil to promote people to come to the vigil

  * Post articles on your website or send out emails through your list
    serves

  * Use Facebook and Twitter to get the word out

      Organize!

We have a number of resources to help you plan your trip to the Vigil:

How to Get to Columbus, GA
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A8pl9zI4ERoXh8BI7Vy0JJPnC8%2FzSrDk>
Accommodation in Columbus, GA
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jc9UQP%2FO%2FcieBmFACuTR8JPnC8%2FzSrDk>
*

Organize a Bus!
<http://www.soaw.org/take-action/november-vigil/travel-to-the-soa-watch-vigil/3325-organizing-a-bus-to-columbus>

Check out the Rideboard
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vUvoH%2FoVmZqF6b3LJEi2fYO97yulheU%2F>

Hotels and Campsites in Columbus
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YPCSNvdavV4hsoLe8V70nZPnC8%2FzSrDk>

*
/Be Sure to make your travel plans to include the
Rally at the Stewart Detention Center
<http://www.soaw.org/take-action/november-vigil/240-other/3772-stewart-detention-center-vigil-2011>
on Friday, November 18th, at 10am./

      Educate!

While we continue to educate ourselves, it is just as important to be
constantly reaching out to people who are not involved in SOA Watch or
even activism in general. One of the primary areas of focus for the
vigil is education. As we are reaching out to our surrounding
communities, we are constantly shifting consciousness and capacity that
leads to mass mobilizing to shut down the SOA, and create a world of
justice and dignity.

Here are some ways:

  * Pre-order "Somos Una America: Shut Down the SOA"
    <https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/727/t/10867/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=777&t=&store_item_KEY=4047>
    the newest documentary produced from Latin America, and schedule a
    showing in your community at the end of October.
  * Order Broadsheets and Palm Cards
    <http://soaw.org/take-action/november-vigil/organize-your-community/3730-order-broadsheets-and-palmcards>
    to place in coffee shops, restaurants, bring to meetings and events,
    as well as pass out to strangers on the street.
  * Bring SOA Watch to your community!
    <http://soaw.org/take-action/speaking-tours>

/"I come to the SOAW Vigil not only to stand up against that specific
institution but rather to stand up to the bigger hegemon of 'Militarism'
- of which the School of the Americas is only one representation. Being
part of the SOAW movement has broadened my knowledge of the issues of
militarization and allowed me to understand that it is all around us. It
is the culture of militarism which we have to change, and actively
pursue a culture of peace and justice."/

--Juan Diego Castro, SOAW Canada Organizer, Kings University College in
London, Ontario

The vigil is a great way to come together with other youth, union
leaders, teachers, activists, people of faith, immigrants, grandmothers
artists and others to provide a unified voice against the intrusion of
militarism into our lives as well as to present alternatives to violence
and oppression everywhere. We'll see you in November!

      Grads in the News:

*Dos Erres Massacre Conviction
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tukg7pG1fy8oHyQLWFFnfJPnC8%2FzSrDk>*
Four of the soldiers involved in the Dos Erres massacre were convicted
of murder, and given a sentence of over 6000 years each.

*Otto Perez Molina
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QJCq3rDX8azQ3CftgN2tC5PnC8%2FzSrDk>*
Molina, charged with torture, genocide, and other war crimes, is the
frontrunner in the ongoing presidential elections in Guatemala.

*Bolivian Generals Brought to Justice
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RWNK%2BrUy1QhOPp1j%2BBsE%2FpPnC8%2FzSrDk>*
Five former high-ranking military officials and two former ministers
were convicted last month for their roles in the killings at the
protests in El Alto, Bolivia in 2003.

      Super Committee:

The Joint Select Committee on Deficit reduction - also known as the
super-committee - is a special committee convened to make decisions
about what programs to cut from the federal budget. They are tasked with
cutting over a trillion dollars in government programs.

Contact members of the Super-Committee
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=sucD1a3IZ0RPMLMZWFiqypPnC8%2FzSrDk>
and tell them to de-fund the SOA/WHINSEC and other failed military
programs through SOUTHCOM.

      Call to Action Conference
      <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=O7NTqXeYl7s%2BW%2BYF79fc7ZPnC8%2FzSrDk>

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9xdiHsrreKh7x4DoSHG43pPnC8%2FzSrDk>

Join /Fr. Roy Bourgeois/ who is speaking at the Call To Action
Conference this November 4-6th!

Be part of the largest gathering of progressive Catholics in the country
with speakers including:

ADA MARIA ISASI DIAZ, Mujerista Theologian; ANTHONY RUFF, Benedictine
Monk and Liturgist; RAUL AL-QARAZ OCHOA, Immigration and LGBT Rights
Activist; JAMIE MANSON, National Catholic Reporter Columnist

And more than 30 other speakers, workshops, prayer sessions, arts and
entertainment, inclusive worship and more!

_________________

Follow SOAW on Facebook
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WvF3EB6bxSBeIQAddrK8XJPnC8%2FzSrDk>

Follow SOAW on Twitter
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Zml72evAM8TwlZsrVCJSxZPnC8%2FzSrDk>

See us on YouTube
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=v2yGRE1UT2GoMi3vk9PlRpPnC8%2FzSrDk>

Contact us <mailto:info at soaw.org>.

Our mailing address is:
SOA Watch, PO Box 4566, Washington, D.C. 20017, USA

Our telephone: (202) 234 3440

Click here
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nApnT87uKsno9geaARfGe5PnC8%2FzSrDk>
to fund the campaign to close the SOA.